Shutting down Ubuntu One file services

Alan Pope-2
I'd recommend any users who use Ubuntu One file services read this
blog post from our CEO, Jane Silber:-

http://blog.canonical.com/2014/04/01/shutting-down-ubuntu-one-file-services/

Cheers,
Al.

Re: Shutting down Ubuntu One file services

Simon Greenwood
Seems to be http://blog.canonical.com/2014/04/02/shutting-down-ubuntu-one-file-services/ now

Hmm, maybe it's time to build my own owncloud...

On 2 April 2014 14:07, Alan Pope <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd recommend any users who use Ubuntu One file services read this
blog post from our CEO, Jane Silber:-

http://blog.canonical.com/2014/04/01/shutting-down-ubuntu-one-file-services/

Cheers,
Al.

Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"TBA are particularly glib"

Re: Shutting down Ubuntu One file services

Colin Law
So what does that mean for those using the ubuntu backup facility with
Ubuntu one?

Colin

On 2 April 2014 14:19, Simon Greenwood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Seems to be
> http://blog.canonical.com/2014/04/02/shutting-down-ubuntu-one-file-services/
> now
>
> Hmm, maybe it's time to build my own owncloud...
>

> On 2 April 2014 14:07, Alan Pope <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'd recommend any users who use Ubuntu One file services read this
>> blog post from our CEO, Jane Silber:-
>>

>> http://blog.canonical.com/2014/04/01/shutting-down-ubuntu-one-file-services/
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Al.
>>
>> --
>> [hidden email]

> Twitter: @sfgreenwood
> "TBA are particularly glib"

Re: Shutting down Ubuntu One file services

Pete Smout-2
On 02/04/14 14:19, Simon Greenwood wrote:

> Seems to be
> http://blog.canonical.com/2014/04/02/shutting-down-ubuntu-one-file-services/
> now
>
> Hmm, maybe it's time to build my own owncloud...
>

> On 2 April 2014 14:07, Alan Pope <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I'd recommend any users who use Ubuntu One file services read this
>     blog post from our CEO, Jane Silber:-
>
>     http://blog.canonical.com/2014/04/01/shutting-down-ubuntu-one-file-services/
>
>     Cheers,
>     Al.
>
>     --

> Twitter: @sfgreenwood
> "TBA are particularly glib"

Hi,

Seems a shame but I can understand the reasoning behind it does mean
that the next time I'm on a decent Internet connection (yes there are
still parts of the UK that can only get less than 1mbs) I will have to
spend it d-l'ing my content :(

Pete S

Re: Shutting down Ubuntu One file services

Alan Pope-2
On 2 April 2014 14:19, Simon Greenwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Seems to be
> http://blog.canonical.com/2014/04/02/shutting-down-ubuntu-one-file-services/
> now

Yeah, the blog date was massaged just after I sent the mail.
Apparently people don't believe you if you post announcements with the
date being 1st April. Who knew? :)

Cheers,
Al.

Re: Shutting down Ubuntu One file services

SuperEngineer
On Wed, 2014-04-02 at 14:07 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> I'd recommend any users who use Ubuntu One file services read this
> blog post from our CEO, Jane Silber:-
>
> http://blog.canonical.com/2014/04/01/shutting-down-ubuntu-one-file-services/
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

The most annoying thing
 - the U1 home page still wants you to sign up;
 - the services page still offers all the options for downloading apps.

Has anyone else wondered if perhaps this has not been thought through
properly?  Sure, it was nice [& gratefully received] while it existed...
but to discontinue and offer [con?] at the same time time is wrong &
gives a bad impression imho.

However, I *do* thank Ubuntu for the free storage whilst it lasted and
for offering reasonable notice [and an extension to reclaim "ya stuff"].
...but 'tis a sad loss.

--
Bill B. [SuperEngineer]

Re: Shutting down Ubuntu One file services

Mike Hingley
> From: [hidden email]

> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 15:05:52 +0100
> Subject: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Shutting down Ubuntu One file services
>
> On Wed, 2014-04-02 at 14:07 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> > I'd recommend any users who use Ubuntu One file services read this
> > blog post from our CEO, Jane Silber:-
> >
> > http://blog.canonical.com/2014/04/01/shutting-down-ubuntu-one-file-services/
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Al.
> >

> The most annoying thing
> - the U1 home page still wants you to sign up;
> - the services page still offers all the options for downloading apps.
>
> Has anyone else wondered if perhaps this has not been thought through
> properly? Sure, it was nice [& gratefully received] while it existed...
> but to discontinue and offer [con?] at the same time time is wrong &
> gives a bad impression imho.
>
> However, I *do* thank Ubuntu for the free storage whilst it lasted and
> for offering reasonable notice [and an extension to reclaim "ya stuff"].
> ...but 'tis a sad loss.
>
> --
> Bill B. [SuperEngineer]

While there are file storage solutions out there, I also use U1 to sync my desktops - I sync a Keepass DB between my machines, and even a gramps folder.  And I was even able to sync to my android phone.  I shall miss U1 :(

Any recommendations for replacement options?  Can I do that with owncloud?

thanks

Mike Hingley

Re: Shutting down Ubuntu One file services

Gareth France
On 02/04/14 15:22, Mike Hingley wrote:
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 15:05:52 +0100
> Subject: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Shutting down Ubuntu One file services
>
> On Wed, 2014-04-02 at 14:07 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> > I'd recommend any users who use Ubuntu One file services read this
> > blog post from our CEO, Jane Silber:-
> >
> > http://blog.canonical.com/2014/04/01/shutting-down-ubuntu-one-file-services/
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Al.
> >

> The most annoying thing
> - the U1 home page still wants you to sign up;
> - the services page still offers all the options for downloading apps.
>
> Has anyone else wondered if perhaps this has not been thought through
> properly? Sure, it was nice [& gratefully received] while it existed...
> but to discontinue and offer [con?] at the same time time is wrong &
> gives a bad impression imho.
>
> However, I *do* thank Ubuntu for the free storage whilst it lasted and
> for offering reasonable notice [and an extension to reclaim "ya stuff"].
> ...but 'tis a sad loss.
>
> --
> Bill B. [SuperEngineer]

While there are file storage solutions out there, I also use U1 to sync my desktops - I sync a Keepass DB between my machines, and even a gramps folder.  And I was even able to sync to my android phone.  I shall miss U1 :(

Any recommendations for replacement options?  Can I do that with owncloud?

thanks

Mike Hingley

The link provided seems to be showing up as a 404 error. If what I've gathered from this post is correct that's very sad. It's so handy having my photos off my phone download to my desktop automatically.

Re: Shutting down Ubuntu One file services

YaManicKill

Spideroak allows you to sync any file of folder anywhere on your computer. It is also encrypted with your password. Very nice.

I'd recommend that, the rest of them just sync a folder, which is a bit annoying.

Alistair

On 2 April 2014 15:26, YaManicKill <[hidden email]> wrote:

Spideroak allows you to sync any file of folder anywhere on your computer. It is also encrypted with your password. Very nice.

I'd recommend that, the rest of them just sync a folder, which is a bit annoying.

Spideroak is about the best but it's not as consistent across machines as Ubuntu One. I've managed to confuse it considerably where Ubuntu One has hiccups but does seem to be consistent.

s/

--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"TBA are particularly glib"

On 2 April 2014 15:36, Simon Greenwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
Having said that, I found Bitcasa just before Google Drive announced their $10 for a terabyte deal and use that as my offsite backup. No sync system but a supported FUSE based filesystem (in beta). If anyone fancies trying them out (and giving me a bit of extra space) they can do so by clicking here: http://l.bitcasa.com/n6j02kWQ

s/

I remember looking at them before, and they said they were working on a linux client. Just checked, and their beta is out: https://www.bitcasa.com/download-linux

Alistair

On Wed, 2014-04-02 at 14:22 +0000, Mike Hingley wrote:

> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 15:05:52 +0100
> > Subject: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Shutting down Ubuntu One file services
> >
> > On Wed, 2014-04-02 at 14:07 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> > > I'd recommend any users who use Ubuntu One file services read this
> > > blog post from our CEO, Jane Silber:-
> > >
> > > http://blog.canonical.com/2014/04/01/shutting-down-ubuntu-one-file-services/
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Al.
> > >

> > The most annoying thing
> >  - the U1 home page still wants you to sign up;
> >  - the services page still offers all the options for downloading apps.
> >
> > Has anyone else wondered if perhaps this has not been thought through
> > properly?  Sure, it was nice [& gratefully received] while it existed...
> > but to discontinue and offer [con?] at the same time time is wrong &
> > gives a bad impression imho.
> >
> > However, I *do* thank Ubuntu for the free storage whilst it lasted and
> > for offering reasonable notice [and an extension to reclaim "ya stuff"].
> > ...but 'tis a sad loss.
> >
> > --
> > Bill B. [SuperEngineer]

> While there are file storage solutions out there, I also use U1 to sync my desktops - I sync a Keepass DB between my machines, and even a gramps folder.  And I was even able to sync to my android phone.  I shall miss U1 :(
> Any recommendations for replacement options?  Can I do that with owncloud?
> thanks
> Mike Hingley

Mike,
I always counted U1 as something that would someday fail or cease.  as
such I always carry a USB stick and all my synchronised stuff gets
copied to that as well [I use grsync for what it's worth].
it really isn't too much effort to re-sync my pooters from the usb stick
- but... not so nice as u! [sob].

I hope the close date is accurate  - I've already asked  interflora if
they can send u1 a wreath!  ;)

holding back the tears...
--
Bill B. [SuperEngineer]

Re: Shutting down Ubuntu One file services

Mark Fraser-2
On Wednesday 02 Apr 2014 14:07:51 Alan Pope wrote:
> I'd recommend any users who use Ubuntu One file services read this
> blog post from our CEO, Jane Silber:-
>
> http://blog.canonical.com/2014/04/01/shutting-down-ubuntu-one-file-services/
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

Gave up with it after they didn't really bother trying to integrate it into
Kubuntu as well.

Re: Shutting down Ubuntu One file services

SuperEngineer
On Wed, 2014-04-02 at 14:07 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> I'd recommend any users who use Ubuntu One file services read this
> blog post from our CEO, Jane Silber:-
>
> http://blog.canonical.com/2014/04/01/shutting-down-ubuntu-one-file-services/
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

It occurs to me that I *really* haven't sounded annoyed enough about
this closure of what was [to me] a free service.
Hurumph!!!!

[is that better?]  ;)

--
Bill B. [SuperEngineer]

Re: Shutting down Ubuntu One file services

Paul White
> I'd recommend any users who use Ubuntu One file services read this blog
post from our CEO, Jane Silber:-

> http://blog.canonical.com/2014/04/01/shutting-down-ubuntu-one-file-services/

All files removed from Ubuntu One. Android app removed from my Samsung S3.

As a Kubuntu user, Ubuntu One never really got used here as the
integration with my OS was simply not there.

Anyway, it was free storage as far as I am concerned so I won't complain. ;o)

--
Paul White

Re: Shutting down Ubuntu One file services

Paul Tansom
** Alan Pope <[hidden email]> [2014-04-02 14:58]:
> On 2 April 2014 14:19, Simon Greenwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Seems to be
> > http://blog.canonical.com/2014/04/02/shutting-down-ubuntu-one-file-services/
> > now
>
> Yeah, the blog date was massaged just after I sent the mail.
> Apparently people don't believe you if you post announcements with the
> date being 1st April. Who knew? :)
** end quote [Alan Pope]

Ah well, I never did get it working on anything but my phone. I battled for a
while and then stuck with Dropbox, not sure whether I'm glad of that now or not
since I'm planning to move anyway as Dropbox have just completely screwed my
data - I tidied things up and reorganised directories and following that
they've synced all my changes up to the server and all the files on the server
that were in the original locations have been sync'd back down to my PC.
Unfortunately I didn't twig quickly enough, so with applications remembering
where documents were I now have some updates in the new locations and some in
the old. To make matters worse some of my personal files have been sync'd up to
a shared folder that I don't own (only my wife's but it could have been worse).

Any chance the U1 software will be released as packages in the Ubuntu
repositories? Clearly somebody needs to take on maintenance of it, but it could
be an interesting competitor to Owncloud.

Younited from F-Secure is where I was thinking of moving, but I'm having issues
getting the Windows client installed (not a major issue as I rarely use
Windows). More significantly the Linux client (in beta) doesn't support 32 bit
(there goes support for my netbook) or Ubuntu 12.04 (another problem for my
netbook). Off to investigate Owncloud and SpiderOak I think!

--
 Paul Tansom  |  Aptanet Ltd.  |  http://www.aptanet.com/  |  023 9238 0001

On 02/04/14 17:12, Paul Tansom wrote:

> ** Alan Pope <[hidden email]> [2014-04-02 14:58]:
>> On 2 April 2014 14:19, Simon Greenwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Seems to be
>>> http://blog.canonical.com/2014/04/02/shutting-down-ubuntu-one-file-services/
>>> now
>> Yeah, the blog date was massaged just after I sent the mail.
>> Apparently people don't believe you if you post announcements with the
>> date being 1st April. Who knew? :)
> ** end quote [Alan Pope]
>
> Ah well, I never did get it working on anything but my phone. I battled for a
> while and then stuck with Dropbox, not sure whether I'm glad of that now or not
> since I'm planning to move anyway as Dropbox have just completely screwed my
> data - I tidied things up and reorganised directories and following that
> they've synced all my changes up to the server and all the files on the server
> that were in the original locations have been sync'd back down to my PC.
> Unfortunately I didn't twig quickly enough, so with applications remembering
> where documents were I now have some updates in the new locations and some in
> the old. To make matters worse some of my personal files have been sync'd up to
> a shared folder that I don't own (only my wife's but it could have been worse).
>
> Any chance the U1 software will be released as packages in the Ubuntu
> repositories? Clearly somebody needs to take on maintenance of it, but it could
> be an interesting competitor to Owncloud.
>
> Younited from F-Secure is where I was thinking of moving, but I'm having issues
> getting the Windows client installed (not a major issue as I rarely use
> Windows). More significantly the Linux client (in beta) doesn't support 32 bit
> (there goes support for my netbook) or Ubuntu 12.04 (another problem for my
> netbook). Off to investigate Owncloud and SpiderOak I think!

This is the exact reason I stopped using U1 for anything heavy or
important. It just wasn't intelligent enough to know what I wanted it to do.

Re: Shutting down Ubuntu One file services

TT Mooney
Hi Al --

Any chance of releasing the server source, now that the project is being
discontinued?

Kind regards,

travis

On 2 April 2014 19:13, TT Mooney <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Any chance of releasing the server source, now that the project is being
> discontinued?

" Additionally, we continue to believe in the Ubuntu One file
services, the quality of the code, and the user experience, so will
release the code as open source software to give others an opportunity
to build on this code to create an open source file syncing platform."

:)