Silly me... I think I may have succumbed to a possible phishing email...

Silly me... I think I may have succumbed to a possible phishing email...

Owen Thomas
I clicked on a link inside what I thought was a follow-up email sent to me about a job application. If you want to know what the link was, you'll find it here. I don't recommend clicking it, because I don't know what it does; I supplied it merely in case someone could inspect the link and advise. I tried to reply to the sender and apparently the recipient's email server cannot be contacted.

Now, it appears that a whole swag of downloads are failing when I try to connect to get patches. Eventually I get a dialogue window that displays "Failed to download package files.". My internet connection is fine because you received this email.

Could my troubles with the software updates be related to link I clicked on the email? Should I perhaps do a complete reinstall of my Ubuntu?

  Owen.

Re: Silly me... I think I may have succumbed to a possible phishing email...

Owen Thomas
Must have been a server error (of perhaps something wasn't working with my internet connection), but the updates have worked.

Perhaps I'm a little paranoid...

On 12 May 2018 at 17:14, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Joel Rees
On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 4:14 PM, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I clicked on a link inside what I thought was a follow-up email sent to me
> about a job application. If you want to know what the link was, you'll find
> it here. I don't recommend clicking it, because I don't know what it does; I
> supplied it merely in case someone could inspect the link and advise. I
> tried to reply to the sender and apparently the recipient's email server
> cannot be contacted.
>
> Now, it appears that a whole swag of downloads are failing when I try to
> connect to get patches. Eventually I get a dialogue window that displays
> "Failed to download package files.". My internet connection is fine because
> you received this email.
>
> Could my troubles with the software updates be related to link I clicked on
> the email? Should I perhaps do a complete reinstall of my Ubuntu?
>
>   Owen.

FWIW, neither lynx nor wget will connect. The server is misconfigured.

--
Joel Rees

http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html

Re: Silly me... I think I may have succumbed to a possible phishing email...

Owen Thomas
Thanks Joel. I became suspicious of the email when I started to receive messages from Gmail's mailer telling me it couldn't forward the message I sent, and would keep trying for a couple of days. I clicked the link I cited here on the email I received (it looked legit although I think my guard was too low) and it led me to my entry on prospective employer's jobs portal.

It might have been a case of a man in the middle. Anyway, I'll get on with my life...