Simple file server that works for MS Windows users as well - ideas?

Simple file server that works for MS Windows users as well - ideas?

Chris Green
I often seem to need to 'send' files to people, sometimes attaching to
an E-Mail works but this very often hits file size limitations.

Currently I'm trying to send an audio file to someone in Australia who
doesn't seem all that computer aware, so what choices do I have?

I have a Linux server out on the public internet where I can put the
file, what sort of thing can I run there to make it easy for them to
download?  I suppose I could set up an FTP server but are there any
easier ways?

--
Chris Green

Re: Simple file server that works for MS Windows users as well - ideas?

Volker Wysk
Am Mittwoch, den 21.10.2020, 15:51 +0100 schrieb Chris Green:

> I often seem to need to 'send' files to people, sometimes attaching to
> an E-Mail works but this very often hits file size limitations.
>
> Currently I'm trying to send an audio file to someone in Australia who
> doesn't seem all that computer aware, so what choices do I have?
>
> I have a Linux server out on the public internet where I can put the
> file, what sort of thing can I run there to make it easy for them to
> download?  I suppose I could set up an FTP server but are there any
> easier ways?
You could use a Sharehoster, such as http://www.mediafire.com/ .

Or, if you install SSH, you get an sftp server. It's secure and easy
to set up. I don't know how easy it is under Windows to access remote
files with sftp, though.

Cheers,
Volker

Re: Simple file server that works for MS Windows users as well - ideas?

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 21.10.2020, 15:51 +0100 schrieb Chris Green:

> I often seem to need to 'send' files to people, sometimes attaching
> an E-Mail works but this very often hits file size limitations.
>
> Currently I'm trying to send an audio file to someone in Australia
> who
> doesn't seem all that computer aware, so what choices do I have?
>
> I have a Linux server out on the public internet where I can put the
> file, what sort of thing can I run there to make it easy for them to
> download?  I suppose I could set up an FTP server but are there any
> easier ways?

i personally use the nextcloud snap for such stuff ...

self managed/hostsed cloud file space, easy to manage via the admin UI
that it brings along and thanks to the snap also a single command
installation without the need to tinker a lot ...
(and there are clients for all common OSes out there, i.e. you can use
the nextcloud andoid client to auto-upload your photos to your personal
gallery etc)

https://snapcraft.io/nextcloud
https://github.com/nextcloud/nextcloud-snap

ciao
        oli

Am Mittwoch, den 21.10.2020, 17:17 +0200 schrieb Oliver Grawert:

> hi,
> Am Mittwoch, den 21.10.2020, 15:51 +0100 schrieb Chris Green:
> > I often seem to need to 'send' files to people, sometimes attaching
> > an E-Mail works but this very often hits file size limitations.
> >
> > Currently I'm trying to send an audio file to someone in Australia
> > who
> > doesn't seem all that computer aware, so what choices do I have?
> >
> > I have a Linux server out on the public internet where I can put the
> > file, what sort of thing can I run there to make it easy for them to
> > download?  I suppose I could set up an FTP server but are there any
> > easier ways?
> >

> i personally use the nextcloud snap for such stuff ...
>
> self managed/hostsed cloud file space, easy to manage via the admin UI
> that it brings along and thanks to the snap also a single command
> installation without the need to tinker a lot ...
> (and there are clients for all common OSes out there, i.e. you can use
> the nextcloud andoid client to auto-upload your photos to your personal
> gallery etc)
>
> https://snapcraft.io/nextcloud
>
> https://github.com/nextcloud/nextcloud-snap
Nextcloud for sharing just one file, is more than overkill, even when
installing via a snap. I run a Nextcloud server myself.

Chris might be able to make use of Nextcloud for additional purposes,
but it's a much bigger thing than, for instance, FTP.

Cheers,
Volker

Re: Simple file server that works for MS Windows users as well - ideas?

21 October 2020  at 15:51, Chris Green wrote:
Simple file server that works for M (at least in part)

>I have a Linux server out on the public internet where I can put the
>file, what sort of thing can I run there to make it easy for them to
>download?  I suppose I could set up an FTP server but are there any
>easier ways?

How secure does the file need? there are web based ways, you upload, send a
link to them, they click to download, job done

Else look in to VNC or remote desktop options and move file(s) direct, as if
you were just moving in your own machine

or if you have a web server, put your file there, and send a link

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 05:14:57PM +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, den 21.10.2020, 15:51 +0100 schrieb Chris Green:
> > I often seem to need to 'send' files to people, sometimes attaching to
> > an E-Mail works but this very often hits file size limitations.
> >
> > Currently I'm trying to send an audio file to someone in Australia who
> > doesn't seem all that computer aware, so what choices do I have?
> >
> > I have a Linux server out on the public internet where I can put the
> > file, what sort of thing can I run there to make it easy for them to
> > download?  I suppose I could set up an FTP server but are there any
> > easier ways?
>
> You could use a Sharehoster, such as http://www.mediafire.com/ .
>
> Or, if you install SSH, you get an sftp server. It's secure and easy
> to set up. I don't know how easy it is under Windows to access remote
> files with sftp, though.

That's exactly the issue, I need to provide something that a computer
naive MS Windows user can download.

Am Mittwoch, den 21.10.2020, 16:34 +0100 schrieb Chris Green:

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 05:14:57PM +0200, Volker Wysk wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, den 21.10.2020, 15:51 +0100 schrieb Chris Green:
> > > I often seem to need to 'send' files to people, sometimes attaching to
> > > an E-Mail works but this very often hits file size limitations.
> > >
> > > Currently I'm trying to send an audio file to someone in Australia who
> > > doesn't seem all that computer aware, so what choices do I have?
> > >
> > > I have a Linux server out on the public internet where I can put the
> > > file, what sort of thing can I run there to make it easy for them to
> > > download?  I suppose I could set up an FTP server but are there any
> > > easier ways?
> >
> > You could use a Sharehoster, such as
> > http://www.mediafire.com/
> >  .
> >
> > Or, if you install SSH, you get an sftp server. It's secure and easy
> > to set up. I don't know how easy it is under Windows to access remote
> > files with sftp, though.
> >

> That's exactly the issue, I need to provide something that a computer
> naive MS Windows user can download.
It *might* be easy. Linux file managers such as Nautilus or Konqueror have
sftp support built in. Maybe it's the same with Windows. I can't tell, I
run Linux exclusively.

Cheers
Volker

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 04:29:27PM +0100, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:

> 21 October 2020  at 15:51, Chris Green wrote:
> Simple file server that works for M (at least in part)
>
> >I have a Linux server out on the public internet where I can put the
> >file, what sort of thing can I run there to make it easy for them to
> >download?  I suppose I could set up an FTP server but are there any
> >easier ways?
>
> How secure does the file need? there are web based ways, you upload, send a
> link to them, they click to download, job done

But upload to what?  I can upload a file to my web site but they seem
incapable of downloading it.  I.e. I uploaded a file and gave them the
URL:-

    https://isbd.uk/fred.mp3

and they couldn't download it!  They just said "we can play the file
but not download it".  I told them to right click on the file in their
browser and save it but that seemed to be beyond them.

> Else look in to VNC or remote desktop options and move file(s) direct, as if
> you were just moving in your own machine
>
> or if you have a web server, put your file there, and send a link

See above! :-)

(You won't find https://isbd.uk/fred.mp3 now, I've removed it)

Am Mittwoch, den 21.10.2020, 17:28 +0200 schrieb Volker Wysk:

> Nextcloud for sharing just one file, is more than overkill, even
> when
> installing via a snap. I run a Nextcloud server myself.
>
> Chris might be able to make use of Nextcloud for additional
> purposes,
> but it's a much bigger thing than, for instance, FTP.

well, FTP support is currently in the process of being dropped from
most browsers due to its awful "insecurity by design".

the original mail started with "i often seem to need to send ..."
so i didnt really read it as a one time task ...

in that light i sill think a one command install of a pre-configured
nextcloud instance that you can easily maintain via web UI is proably
still better than having to securely set up and maintain an apache on
the commandline ...

ciao
        oli

Am Mittwoch, den 21.10.2020, 16:38 +0100 schrieb Chris Green:

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 04:29:27PM +0100, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
> > 21 October 2020  at 15:51, Chris Green wrote:
> > Simple file server that works for M (at least in part)
> >
> > > I have a Linux server out on the public internet where I can put the
> > > file, what sort of thing can I run there to make it easy for them to
> > > download?  I suppose I could set up an FTP server but are there any
> > > easier ways?
> >
> > How secure does the file need? there are web based ways, you upload, send a
> > link to them, they click to download, job done
> >

> But upload to what?
I think he means a sharehoster. Give mediafire.com a try.

> I can upload a file to my web site but they seem
> incapable of downloading it.  I.e. I uploaded a file and gave them the
> URL:-
>

> https://isbd.uk/fred.mp3
>

> and they couldn't download it!  They just said "we can play the file
> but not download it".  I told them to right click on the file in their
> browser and save it but that seemed to be beyond them.
Ouch. That's a hard case.  :)

Cheers,
Volker

Am Mittwoch, den 21.10.2020, 17:42 +0200 schrieb Oliver Grawert:

> hi,
> Am Mittwoch, den 21.10.2020, 17:28 +0200 schrieb Volker Wysk:
> >
> > Nextcloud for sharing just one file, is more than overkill, even
> > when
> > installing via a snap. I run a Nextcloud server myself.
> >
> > Chris might be able to make use of Nextcloud for additional
> > purposes,
> > but it's a much bigger thing than, for instance, FTP.
> >

> well, FTP support is currently in the process of being dropped from
> most browsers due to its awful "insecurity by design".
Then use SFTP.

> the original mail started with "i often seem to need to send ..."

Okay, you're right.

> so i didnt really read it as a one time task ...
>
> in that light i sill think a one command install of a pre-configured
> nextcloud instance that you can easily maintain via web UI is proably
> still better than having to securely set up and maintain an apache on
> the commandline ...

Why would he have to set up an apache? And, he already has a web server running.

Bye,
Volker

Re: Simple file server that works for MS Windows users as well - ideas?

ubuntu-users-list
Hi Chris,

On 21.10.20 17:38, Chris Green wrote:

>> How secure does the file need? there are web based ways, you upload, send a
>> link to them, they click to download, job done
>>
> But upload to what?  I can upload a file to my web site but they seem
> incapable of downloading it.  I.e. I uploaded a file and gave them the
> URL:-
>
>     https://isbd.uk/fred.mp3
>
> and they couldn't download it!  They just said "we can play the file
> but not download it".  I told them to right click on the file in their
> browser and save it but that seemed to be beyond them.
I believe there is nothing easier than a HTTP(s) download. If the issue is, that
the file is played directly, try to zip it. That will at least trigger a download
and (hopefully) can be handled properly (double clicking a ZIP will just open it
on any recent Windows).

hth.

Thomas

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 05:50:09PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> On 21.10.20 17:38, Chris Green wrote:
> >> How secure does the file need? there are web based ways, you upload, send a
> >> link to them, they click to download, job done
> >>
> > But upload to what?  I can upload a file to my web site but they seem
> > incapable of downloading it.  I.e. I uploaded a file and gave them the
> > URL:-
> >
> >     https://isbd.uk/fred.mp3
> >
> > and they couldn't download it!  They just said "we can play the file
> > but not download it".  I told them to right click on the file in their
> > browser and save it but that seemed to be beyond them.
> I believe there is nothing easier than a HTTP(s) download. If the issue is, that
> the file is played directly, try to zip it. That will at least trigger a download
> and (hopefully) can be handled properly (double clicking a ZIP will just open it
> on any recent Windows).

Yes, I think that could be the answer, thanks Thomas.

--
Chris Green

Re: Simple file server that works for MS Windows users as well - ideas?

21 October 2020  at 16:38, Chris Green wrote:
Re: Simple file server that works f (at least in part)

>But upload to what?  I can upload a file to my web site but they seem
>incapable of downloading it.  I.e. I uploaded a file and gave them the
>URL:-

>    https://isbd.uk/fred.mp3

>and they couldn't download it!  They just said "we can play the file
>but not download it".  I told them to right click on the file in their
>browser and save it but that seemed to be beyond them.

In most windows browsers (I have used) you choose "save target as" what browser
do they use (if they know)

>> Else look in to VNC or remote desktop options and move file(s) direct, as if
>> you were just moving in your own machine

>> or if you have a web server, put your file there, and send a link

>See above! :-)

>(You won't find https://isbd.uk/fred.mp3 now, I've removed it)

I noticed

Re: Simple file server that works for MS Windows users as well - ideas?

David Fletcher-5
On Wed, 2020-10-21 at 16:29 +0100, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
> or if you have a web server, put your file there, and send a link

As with most things I'm not an expert on this but I've done exactly the
same thing by making a directory in the same place as the index.html
file, then copying the file into that directory. As far as I know if
the directory is not mentioned in your html code you can't detect it
from outside. Sorry if I'm incorrect about this.

Send them the link into that directory and they should be able to use
something like the old GetRight shareware downloader to get it.
Shouldn't even need a domain name as far as I know, just an apache
install. https://whatismyipaddress.com/ should reveal your outside IP
address which may be dynamic but will be the same for plenty long
enough for them to do the download.

Something like http://yourIPaddress/directoryname/filename should do
the trick I think.

Dave

Am Mittwoch, den 21.10.2020, 17:49 +0200 schrieb Volker Wysk:

> Then use SFTP.

well, sftp doesnt work anonymous, you need to set up a user account ...

> Why would he have to set up an apache? And, he already has a web
> server running.

oops, i totally missed that bit ... :)

ciao
        oli

Re: Simple file server that works for MS Windows users as well - ideas?

Robert Heller
At Wed, 21 Oct 2020 17:37:52 +0200 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, den 21.10.2020, 16:34 +0100 schrieb Chris Green:

> > > You could use a Sharehoster, such as
> > > http://www.mediafire.com/
> > >  .
> > >
> > > Or, if you install SSH, you get an sftp server. It's secure and easy
> > > to set up. I don't know how easy it is under Windows to access remote
> > > files with sftp, though.
> > >

> > That's exactly the issue, I need to provide something that a computer
> > naive MS Windows user can download.
>
> It *might* be easy. Linux file managers such as Nautilus or Konqueror have
> sftp support built in. Maybe it's the same with Windows. I can't tell, I
> run Linux exclusively.

MS-Windows has no "native" support for SSH -- none of stock software for
MS-Windows implements any part of SSH.

About the only option the OP really has is to install Apache on his Linux
server (if it is not already installed) and upload his files to  his Linux
server and make them accessable by Apache and pass on the HTTP url
(http://the.OPs.server.domain/file.mp3) to his correspondent.

Alternitively, getting a cloud disk (eg Google Drive or something like that),
would be another option.

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364

At Wed, 21 Oct 2020 16:38:25 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 04:29:27PM +0100, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
> > 21 October 2020  at 15:51, Chris Green wrote:
> > Simple file server that works for M (at least in part)
> >
> > >I have a Linux server out on the public internet where I can put the
> > >file, what sort of thing can I run there to make it easy for them to
> > >download?  I suppose I could set up an FTP server but are there any
> > >easier ways?
> >
> > How secure does the file need? there are web based ways, you upload, send a
> > link to them, they click to download, job done
> >
> But upload to what?  I can upload a file to my web site but they seem
> incapable of downloading it.  I.e. I uploaded a file and gave them the
> URL:-
>
>     https://isbd.uk/fred.mp3
>
> and they couldn't download it!  They just said "we can play the file
> but not download it".  I told them to right click on the file in their
> browser and save it but that seemed to be beyond them.

You did the right thing.  Note: they are in fact downloading it, just not to a
file.  I don't know if there is anything you can do short of hopping on a
plane and flying out to them and showing them how to use their computer.
Maybe use Zoom or Team Player or some other screen sharing system and walking
them through it.  Or finding a YouTube HowTo video on how to download and save
files that you can point them to.

The only other option is to get a cheap thumb drive and putting the file on
the thumb drive and using the postal service...

Am Mittwoch, den 21.10.2020, 18:13 +0200 schrieb Oliver Grawert:
> hi,
> Am Mittwoch, den 21.10.2020, 17:49 +0200 schrieb Volker Wysk:
> >
> > Then use SFTP.
>
> well, sftp doesnt work anonymous, you need to set up a user account ...

That's probably what Chris has in mind.  Right, Chris?

Volker

Am Mittwoch, den 21.10.2020, 12:18 -0400 schrieb Robert Heller:

> The only other option is to get a cheap thumb drive and putting the
> file on
> the thumb drive and using the postal service...

pidgeons seem to come into fashion as well again recently ...

:)

ciao
        oli