Simple sound recorder wanted

Chris Green
My wife wants to make a short recording of her voice using, probably,
her laptop's built-in microphone (or, maybe, an external one).

What's the simplest sound recording program on Ubuntu/Xubuntu?  No
extras needed at all, just record and save as FLAC or MP3.

--
Chris Green

Re: Simple sound recorder wanted

Wade Smart-2
Audacity
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 9:00 AM Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My wife wants to make a short recording of her voice using, probably,
> her laptop's built-in microphone (or, maybe, an external one).
>
> What's the simplest sound recording program on Ubuntu/Xubuntu?  No
> extras needed at all, just record and save as FLAC or MP3.
>
> --
> Chris Green

Re: Simple sound recorder wanted

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 09:05:41 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
>Audacity

Hi,

Audacity isn't simple, but probably for most people easy to use, so for
the described purpose I'll second that recommendation.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Simple sound recorder wanted

Mike Marchywka
what about "arecord" although I noted in my media script I'm now using "jackd"

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 9:00 AM Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My wife wants to make a short recording of her voice using, probably,
> her laptop's built-in microphone (or, maybe, an external one).
>
> What's the simplest sound recording program on Ubuntu/Xubuntu?  No
> extras needed at all, just record and save as FLAC or MP3.
>
> --
> Chris Green

Re: Simple sound recorder wanted

Little Girl
Hey there,

Chris Green wrote:

>My wife wants to make a short recording of her voice using, probably,
>her laptop's built-in microphone (or, maybe, an external one).
>
>What's the simplest sound recording program on Ubuntu/Xubuntu?  No
>extras needed at all, just record and save as FLAC or MP3.

She could use arecord in a terminal window. This command will record
any microphone input until she presses Ctrl + C while the terminal
window has the focus. It then saves the output to the specified WAV
file in the current directory:

arecord example.wav

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: Simple sound recorder wanted

Karl Auer
On Sat, 2020-10-10 at 14:58 +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> What's the simplest sound recording program on Ubuntu/Xubuntu?  No
> extras needed at all, just record and save as FLAC or MP3.

Not sure if this meets the requirement for Xubuntu, but personally I
think gnome-sound-recorder is one of the simplest and best sound
recorders around.

sudo apt install gnome-sound-recorder

Run it, press the "Record" button, talk, press "Done" button.

Recordings appears as clips in the application, with a Play button to
hear them, and info button to rename them and a bin icon to discard
them.

Preferences let you specify the save format.

It doesn't get simpler or easier.

Don't inflict Audacity on someone that just wants to record simple
sound bites.

Another option is to use a smartphone. The quality is usually quite
good, it doesn't have all the humming of a computer, and you can copy
the files off the phone to the computer for processing or whatever.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer

GPG fingerprint: 2561 E9EC D868 E73C 8AF1 49CF EE50 4B1D CCA1 5170
Old fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 04:33:02PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 09:05:41 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
> >Audacity
>
> Hi,
>
> Audacity isn't simple, but probably for most people easy to use, so for
> the described purpose I'll second that recommendation.

OP here, I already use Audacity (on another machine) but I was hoping
for something a bit more basic.

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 02:57:42PM +0000, Mike Marchywka wrote:
> what about "arecord" although I noted in my media script I'm now using "jackd"

arecord doesn't seem to be iun the Ubuntu repository.

jackd isn't a recording program is it?

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 11:01:23AM -0400, Little Girl wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Chris Green wrote:
>
> >My wife wants to make a short recording of her voice using, probably,
> >her laptop's built-in microphone (or, maybe, an external one).
> >
> >What's the simplest sound recording program on Ubuntu/Xubuntu?  No
> >extras needed at all, just record and save as FLAC or MP3.
>
> She could use arecord in a terminal window. This command will record
> any microphone input until she presses Ctrl + C while the terminal
> window has the focus. It then saves the output to the specified WAV
> file in the current directory:
>
> arecord example.wav

That sounds the sort of thing, thanks.  It took me a little while to
find that it's in the alsa-utils package.

--
Chris Green

Re: Simple sound recorder wanted

Mike Marchywka
I'm not sure if I had a problem with arecord or audio
from a camera and vlc right now  so I'm not sure what jackd
contributed but it is still in my script :)

Are you recording from a microphone?

I was not sure if you tested simple things and they just did not work
there may be other stuff you need for the sound system.

note new address
 Mike Marchywka 306 Charles Cox Drive Canton, GA 30115
 2295 Collinworth  Drive Marietta GA 30062.  formerly 487 Salem Woods Drive Marietta GA 30067 404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message 989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency

On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 18:30:03 +0100, Chris Green wrote:
>jackd isn't a recording program is it?

Right, it is not a recording program. It is a sound server aimed for
pro-audio usage. It has advantages for pro-audio usage, but could be
tricky, for the averaged desktop sound user.

Chris Green wrote:

>arecord doesn't seem to be iun the Ubuntu repository.

That's odd. I checked here and it seems to only be available in
Bionic and Xenial:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=arecord&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all

Same here:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=arecord

It's in my default installation of Kubuntu 20.04 LTS Focal in a
virtual machine, though. Gremlins?

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: Simple sound recorder wanted

David Fletcher-5
On Sun, 2020-10-11 at 02:21 +1100, Karl Auer wrote:
> Another option is to use a smartphone. The quality is usually quite
> good, it doesn't have all the humming of a computer, and you can copy
> the files off the phone to the computer for processing or whatever.

Or a dedicated portable audio recorder. I've got one made by Olympus.
It gets very little use but the best recording I have is of a steam
loco pulling a train out of Grosmont station and into the tunnel.
Playing at decent volume through reasonable HiFi with eyes closed you
can just about smell the oil and the coal fire as it goes past.