Site overhaul for Feisty Fawn

jmalonzo

Last week I asked jsgotangco if we should move the current ubuntu-ph.org to
the new Ubuntu site designs as this brings consistency to the whole community.
He agreed and another thing that came out of that discussion is that the
ubuntu-ph LoCo can actually have a subforum at ubuntuforums.org which is nice
because it's one less identity to remember. And this brings to another
suggestion that we should just move ubuntu-ph.org to wordpress + funky plugins
and move the forums to uf.org.

So what do you guys think? I think one advantage of moving the forums to uf.o
is that other LoCo members will be exposed to the whole Ubuntu community and
not just discussing things in isolation.

Also, what would be a nice *frontpage* for ubuntu-ph.org so we can promote
Ubuntu more and hopefully attact more users and budding developers?

cheers,

jan

--
If at first you don't succeed, try and try and try again. And then give up.
There's no point making a damn fool out of yourself.

Re: Site overhaul for Feisty Fawn

Bugzilla from carlosdgtorres@gmail.com
On Sunday 08 April 2007, Jan Michael C. Alonzo wrote:

> Last week I asked jsgotangco if we should move the current ubuntu-ph.org to
> the new Ubuntu site designs as this brings consistency to the whole
> community. He agreed and another thing that came out of that discussion is
> that the ubuntu-ph LoCo can actually have a subforum at ubuntuforums.org
> which is nice because it's one less identity to remember. And this brings
> to another suggestion that we should just move ubuntu-ph.org to wordpress +
> funky plugins and move the forums to uf.org.
>
> So what do you guys think? I think one advantage of moving the forums to
> uf.o is that other LoCo members will be exposed to the whole Ubuntu
> community and not just discussing things in isolation.

Another advantage of moving some of our resources to already existing
structures/sites is that we will be able to spend less time
working/discussing/arguing on the site/resources and more time working more
on LoCo projects (if we have any). This is one of the thrusts of Jono Bacon
for the Ubuntu Community. (see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamHowto).

With this in mind, I suggest moving our Wiki to wiki.ubuntu.com as well. What
we will be left with as our own thing will be the main/front page (for
articles, news, etc.) and our planet.

> Also, what would be a nice *frontpage* for ubuntu-ph.org so we can promote
> Ubuntu more and hopefully attact more users and budding developers?

We could probably try to use the layout of the main www.ubuntu.com page.
Unless you guys plan on migrating to Joomla, we could probably ask the people
responsible for the main page for the layout/style, since we are both using
Joomla. The Chicago LoCo seems to have been able to do it (see
http://chi.ubuntu-us.org/). Of course, we can always push for our
own "image". Just a suggestion anyway. :)

Good luck!

Re: Site overhaul for Feisty Fawn

Jerome Gotangco-2
On 4/8/07, Juan Carlos Torres <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We could probably try to use the layout of the main www.ubuntu.com page.
> Unless you guys plan on migrating to Joomla, we could probably ask the people
> responsible for the main page for the layout/style, since we are both using
> Joomla. The Chicago LoCo seems to have been able to do it (see
> http://chi.ubuntu-us.org/). Of course, we can always push for our
> own "image". Just a suggestion anyway. :)

It's now using Joomla?

--
Best,

Jerome Gotangco

Re: Site overhaul for Feisty Fawn

Kenneth Demanawa
Hmmmm ...

http://ubuntu-ph.org, http://www.ubuntu.com/  and
http://chi.ubuntu-us.org/ sites are all using Drupal.

http://chi.ubuntu-us.org/ is using 'ubuntu07' theme of ubuntu.com. So
I guess if you want to emulate the look and feel of ubuntu.com, you
should get a copy of same theme. There's a big chance that it's GPLed
:)

Btw, both sites are using transcorners js
(http://inviz.ru/moo/transcorners/) for those nifty
rounded-corner-boxes, menus.js for the dropdown menu of the primary
links and motools. FYI.
:)

On 4/8/07, Kenneth Demanawa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmmmm ...
>
> http://ubuntu-ph.org, http://www.ubuntu.com/  and
> http://chi.ubuntu-us.org/ sites are all using Drupal.
>
> http://chi.ubuntu-us.org/ is using 'ubuntu07' theme of ubuntu.com. So
> I guess if you want to emulate the look and feel of ubuntu.com, you
> should get a copy of same theme. There's a big chance that it's GPLed
> :)
>
> Btw, both sites are using transcorners js
> (http://inviz.ru/moo/transcorners/) for those nifty
> rounded-corner-boxes, menus.js for the dropdown menu of the primary
> links and motools. FYI.
> :)

Thanks for checking. The current PH site is running on an old version
of Drupal and needs an update! So if anyone is willing to volunteer
for this, please do!

--
Best,

Jerome Gotangco

Re: Site overhaul for Feisty Fawn

Kenneth Demanawa
Count me in. :)

On Sunday 08 April 2007, Jerome Gotangco wrote:
> It's now using Joomla?

Sorry, human error. I meant Drupal.

Re: Site overhaul for Feisty Fawn

Aldous D. Penaranda-3
On 4/8/07, Jerome Gotangco <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for checking. The current PH site is running on an old version
> of Drupal and needs an update! So if anyone is willing to volunteer
> for this, please do!

I could give it a shot (and possibly "maintain" or check stuff from
time to time). First things first, how do I get ssh access? :D

http://aldous.penaranda.name/
GPG: 0xD6655C18

On 4/10/07, Aldous D. Penaranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I could give it a shot (and possibly "maintain" or check stuff from
> time to time). First things first, how do I get ssh access? :D

Send an email to zakame and give him your ssh key so he could add it
to the system since the server is configured to accept only authorized
keys. Also, there are a couple of other loco teams using it as well.

--
Best,

Jerome Gotangco

"Aldous D. Penaranda" <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 4/8/07, Jerome Gotangco <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for checking. The current PH site is running on an old version
>> of Drupal and needs an update! So if anyone is willing to volunteer
>> for this, please do!
>
> I could give it a shot (and possibly "maintain" or check stuff from
> time to time). First things first, how do I get ssh access? :D

dous,

hi! some people are willing to help, including me. I'm just wondering if you
are going to need helpers or you want to do this on your own?

cheers,

--

... The things love can drive a man to -- the ecstasies, the
the miseries, the broken rules, the desperate chances, the glorious

Re: Site overhaul for Feisty Fawn

jmalonzo

dous,

hi! how can we help?

--

A meeting is an event at which the minutes are kept and the hours are lost.

On 4/11/07, Jan Michael C. Alonzo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> dous,
> hi! how can we help?

I think what you guys should do is set up a meeting online on the irc
channel and agree on what to do. We may only need 1 or 2 people who
have sudo access to the server (and not to have too many ssh keys in
the registry) and the rest have admin and/or power user access to the
software interface.

--
Best,

Jerome Gotangco

Re: Site overhaul for Feisty Fawn

Aldous D. Penaranda-2
On 4/11/07, Jan Michael C. Alonzo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> dous,
>
> hi! some people are willing to help, including me. I'm just wondering if you
> are going to need helpers or you want to do this on your own?

My plan was just to update Drupal and possibly do some back-end stuff.
I agree with Jerome that we should have a meeting and discuss changes
to the site.

http://aldous.penaranda.name/
GPG: 0xD6655C18