Skype requires keyring but keyring doesnt seem to work

Skype requires keyring but keyring doesnt seem to work

Wade Smart-2
I use skype for certain clients.
After installing and before I could use it the
create keyring box came up. I created a password
and then went on. Now, each time the keyring comes
up it will not accept the password. And while skype is
on the notice comes up every few minutes asking for
keyring access. I do not have a single other app that
has ever asked for access to keyring. How can you
error check this?

18.04
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Re: Skype requires keyring but keyring doesnt seem to work

Liam Proven
On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 at 16:01, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I use skype for certain clients.
> After installing and before I could use it the
> create keyring box came up. I created a password
> and then went on. Now, each time the keyring comes
> up it will not accept the password. And while skype is
> on the notice comes up every few minutes asking for
> keyring access. I do not have a single other app that
> has ever asked for access to keyring. How can you
> error check this?

Do you know what version of Skype you're running?

MS just killed off the old version and the new one isn't that stable yet.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/11/02/in_memorandum_skype_classic/

I very rarely use it on Linux but I do on macOS and basically every
time I load the app, there's an update.

I would not be at all surprised if something has broken.

Re: Skype requires keyring but keyring doesnt seem to work

Peter Flynn

On 07/11/2018 14:59, Wade Smart wrote:
> I use skype for certain clients.

I have managed to get this down to one organisation now, and they are so
disgruntled about Skype that I am going to suggest Discord.

> After installing and before I could use it the
> create keyring box came up. I created a password

I *think* that your keyring password is your system password.
What you created there could have been your Skype password.
I had something similar happen to me last year on some system.

> and then went on. Now, each time the keyring comes
> up it will not accept the password.

Try your system password instead. That should open your keyring, and
that will then supply Skype with its password...

> And while skype is on the notice comes up every few minutes asking
> for keyring access. I do not have a single other app that has ever
> asked for access to keyring. How can you error check this?

Not sure that you can. Keyring is a clever idea, poorly implemented in apps.

///Peter

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 9:08 AM Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 at 16:01, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I use skype for certain clients.
> > After installing and before I could use it the
> > create keyring box came up. I created a password
> > and then went on. Now, each time the keyring comes
> > up it will not accept the password. And while skype is
> > on the notice comes up every few minutes asking for
> > keyring access. I do not have a single other app that
> > has ever asked for access to keyring. How can you
> > error check this?
>
> Do you know what version of Skype you're running?
>
> MS just killed off the old version and the new one isn't that stable yet.
>
> https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/11/02/in_memorandum_skype_classic/
>
> I very rarely use it on Linux but I do on macOS and basically every
> time I load the app, there's an update.
>
> I would not be at all surprised if something has broken.
>

> --
> Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
> Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
> UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

vs 8.33.0.41.

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 10:28 AM Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07/11/2018 14:59, Wade Smart wrote:
> > I use skype for certain clients.
>
> I have managed to get this down to one organisation now, and they are so
> disgruntled about Skype that I am going to suggest Discord.
>
> > After installing and before I could use it the
> > create keyring box came up. I created a password
>
> I *think* that your keyring password is your system password.
> What you created there could have been your Skype password.
> I had something similar happen to me last year on some system.
>
> > and then went on. Now, each time the keyring comes
> > up it will not accept the password.
>
> Try your system password instead. That should open your keyring, and
> that will then supply Skype with its password...
>
> > And while skype is on the notice comes up every few minutes asking
> > for keyring access. I do not have a single other app that has ever
> > asked for access to keyring. How can you error check this?
>
> Not sure that you can. Keyring is a clever idea, poorly implemented in apps.
>
> ///Peter

Does discord to video? My son uses it for audio during gaming.
It asked me to create a password - so I did.
I have tried the one I created and my system password.
Neither work.
Ive looked at  tutorials about uninstalling it but its not completely
clear what if anything it would break in doing so.

If I still didnt have a lot of MS based clients - I wouldnt be using
skype either.

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005

Re: Skype requires keyring but keyring doesnt seem to work

Colin Law
Google hangouts does acceptable video, entirely browser based.

Clin
On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 at 16:34, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> --
> Registered Linux User: #480675
> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
> Linux since June 2005
>
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 10:28 AM Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > On 07/11/2018 14:59, Wade Smart wrote:
> > > I use skype for certain clients.
> >
> > I have managed to get this down to one organisation now, and they are so
> > disgruntled about Skype that I am going to suggest Discord.
> >
> > > After installing and before I could use it the
> > > create keyring box came up. I created a password
> >
> > I *think* that your keyring password is your system password.
> > What you created there could have been your Skype password.
> > I had something similar happen to me last year on some system.
> >
> > > and then went on. Now, each time the keyring comes
> > > up it will not accept the password.
> >
> > Try your system password instead. That should open your keyring, and
> > that will then supply Skype with its password...
> >
> > > And while skype is on the notice comes up every few minutes asking
> > > for keyring access. I do not have a single other app that has ever
> > > asked for access to keyring. How can you error check this?
> >
> > Not sure that you can. Keyring is a clever idea, poorly implemented in apps.
> >
> > ///Peter
> >

> > --
>

> Does discord to video? My son uses it for audio during gaming.
> It asked me to create a password - so I did.
> I have tried the one I created and my system password.
> Neither work.
> Ive looked at  tutorials about uninstalling it but its not completely
> clear what if anything it would break in doing so.
>
> If I still didnt have a lot of MS based clients - I wouldnt be using
> skype either.
>
> --
> Registered Linux User: #480675
> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
> Linux since June 2005

Re: Skype requires keyring but keyring doesnt seem to work

Wade Smart-2
Ive not used it but I cant use that for some clients on their security policy.

--

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 10:38 AM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Google hangouts does acceptable video, entirely browser based.
>
> Clin
> On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 at 16:34, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > --
> > Registered Linux User: #480675
> > Registered Linux Machine: #408606
> > Linux since June 2005

> > > I have managed to get this down to one organisation now, and they are so
> > > disgruntled about Skype that I am going to suggest Discord.

> > > I *think* that your keyring password is your system password.
> > > What you created there could have been your Skype password.
> > > I had something similar happen to me last year on some system.

> > > Try your system password instead. That should open your keyring, and
> > > that will then supply Skype with its password...

> > > Not sure that you can. Keyring is a clever idea, poorly implemented in apps.
> > >
> > > ///Peter
> > >

> > > --
> >

> > Does discord to video? My son uses it for audio during gaming.
> > It asked me to create a password - so I did.
> > I have tried the one I created and my system password.
> > Neither work.
> > Ive looked at  tutorials about uninstalling it but its not completely
> > clear what if anything it would break in doing so.
> >
> > If I still didnt have a lot of MS based clients - I wouldnt be using
> > skype either.
> >
> > --
> > Registered Linux User: #480675
> > Registered Linux Machine: #408606
> > Linux since June 2005

Re: Skype requires keyring but keyring doesnt seem to work

Peter Flynn
On 07/11/2018 16:33, Wade Smart wrote:
[...]
> Does discord to video?

I believe so.

> It asked me to create a password - so I did.

You mean Discord? Or Skype?

> I have tried the one I created and my system password.
> Neither work.

Bummer.

> Ive looked at  tutorials about uninstalling it but its not completely
> clear what if anything it would break in doing so.

AFAIK nothing. If you uninstall Skype then it gets uninstalled. What the
keyring manage does with the key data is opaque to me, as it is intended
to be. I suspect it keeps it so if you reinstall Skype you'll be back
where you started.

If this is the Gnome2 kayring manager, perhaps this helps:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=796410&page=2

> If I still didnt have a lot of MS based clients - I wouldnt be using
> skype either.

It's a problem. Everyone in business bitches about it, but no-one is
prepared to make the move.

///Peter

On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 at 16:40, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ive not used it but I cant use that for some clients on their security policy.

Is google hangouts policy  worse than Skype's?

Colin

Colin

> --
> Registered Linux User: #480675
> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
> Linux since June 2005
>
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 10:38 AM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Google hangouts does acceptable video, entirely browser based.
> >
> > Clin
> > On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 at 16:34, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > --
> > > Registered Linux User: #480675
> > > Registered Linux Machine: #408606
> > > Linux since June 2005

> > > Does discord to video? My son uses it for audio during gaming.
> > > It asked me to create a password - so I did.
> > > I have tried the one I created and my system password.
> > > Neither work.
> > > Ive looked at  tutorials about uninstalling it but its not completely
> > > clear what if anything it would break in doing so.
> > >
> > > If I still didnt have a lot of MS based clients - I wouldnt be using
> > > skype either.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Registered Linux User: #480675
> > > Registered Linux Machine: #408606
> > > Linux since June 2005

Re: Skype requires keyring but keyring doesnt seem to work

Wade Smart-2
I dont know but many of my clients are fully MS based companies and
do not use google anything internally so .. Im guessing that is why
it cant be used.
--

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 11:15 AM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 at 16:40, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Ive not used it but I cant use that for some clients on their security policy.
>
> Is google hangouts policy  worse than Skype's?
>
> Colin
>
> Colin
>

> > --
> > Registered Linux User: #480675
> > Registered Linux Machine: #408606
> > Linux since June 2005
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 10:38 AM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Google hangouts does acceptable video, entirely browser based.
> > >
> > > Clin

Re: Skype requires keyring but keyring doesnt seem to work

Wade Smart-2
Skype triggers keyring to create a password when I initially installed.
I was talking about uninstalling keyring.

On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 at 17:19, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Skype triggers keyring to create a password when I initially installed.
> I was talking about uninstalling keyring.

Try this.  It is old but still worked last time I tried.
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2013/07/disable-unlock-login-keyring-ubuntu-13-04/

On the other hand if it is that keyring then your system password
should unlock it.

Colin

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 11:31 AM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 at 17:19, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Skype triggers keyring to create a password when I initially installed.
> > I was talking about uninstalling keyring.
>
> Try this.  It is old but still worked last time I tried.
> http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2013/07/disable-unlock-login-keyring-ubuntu-13-04/
>
> On the other hand if it is that keyring then your system password
> should unlock it.
>
> Colin

As Im trying to do this keyring popped up. Apparently it locks everything
on the desktop until you either click cancel several times or put in
the password.
I typed in the password - just for fun -> IT WORKED!
Its not the system pass but the one I had to create with Skype.
So, you cant copy and paste the password but ONLY type it in.
Uh.. interesting.