Slightly OT - VirtualBox VM doesn't connect to USB drive on Xubunt 16.04 host

Slightly OT - VirtualBox VM doesn't connect to USB drive on Xubunt 16.04 host

MR ZenWiz
I run Xubuntu 16.04 on my desktop, but I use VB to test out other OSes
as VMs, including a solid Windows 7 VM I have used for about 6+ years
for work-at-home uses, like Outlook.

Yesterday I was trying to fill out a DHS I-9 form for a new employer
on this VM. I had to use Windows because it requires Acrobat Reader to
access the form, including fill in and print.

The problem arose when i tried to print to my USB printers (neither
one worked).  I followed the directions on the VB help pages to set up
the printers fro access, and the VM Devices menu showed the checkmark,
but te Windows never saw, installedor even had any access to the
printer.

I believe I tried the network access possibility, but i didn;t work
fast enough and this time around I was in a rush and used a different
laptop that has Windows on it, which worked.

Two questions:

1. Is there a Linux/Ubuntu app that can read secure PDF files the way
AR does and can fill them in and print them?  evince and xpdf did not
work.

2. Is there some way to enable USB printers such that a VM can access
them (other than the network access method, which didn't work eiter)?

Tanks.
MR

Re: Slightly OT - VirtualBox VM doesn't connect to USB drive on Xubunt 16.04 host

Chris-2
On Sat, 2017-04-08 at 13:30 -0700, MR ZenWiz wrote:

> I run Xubuntu 16.04 on my desktop, but I use VB to test out other
> OSes
> as VMs, including a solid Windows 7 VM I have used for about 6+ years
> for work-at-home uses, like Outlook.
>
> Yesterday I was trying to fill out a DHS I-9 form for a new employer
> on this VM. I had to use Windows because it requires Acrobat Reader
> access the form, including fill in and print.

I can't help with your other issue but try this - https://code-industry
.net/free-pdf-editor/ for filling out pdfs. I've used it quite a few
times to fill out new patient forms for some of the doctors I'm seeing
and it works fantastic.

Chris

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C

Re: Slightly OT - VirtualBox VM doesn't connect to USB drive on Xubunt 16.04 host

Ralf Mardorf-2
There are several programs available, some especial for this task. I'm on my iPad, so I can't check my Linux now, but Google should help you to find such a program. IIRC at least one of those programs works so-so. However, office software allows this, too. IIRC "abi word" does the job better than any other program and using "libre office" for this task is a PITA.

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 2:58 PM, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can't help with your other issue but try this - https://code-industry
> .net/free-pdf-editor/ for filling out pdfs. I've used it quite a few
> times to fill out new patient forms for some of the doctors I'm seeing
> and it works fantastic.

That was excellent.  It still messed up a couple of fields, but that
seems to be a problem (bug) with the form - AR also did that, though
differently.

Thanks!!

On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There are several programs available, some especial for this task. I'm on my iPad, so I can't check my Linux now, but Google should help you to find such a program. IIRC at least one of those programs works so-so. However, office software allows this, too. IIRC "abi word" does the job better than any other program and using "libre office" for this task is a PITA.

I used the Master PDF Editor Chris pointed to.  I gave up on abiword
years ago, though I know it's still god for a lot of things LO doesn't
do well, and I avoid LO for PDF stuff, except to export to them, which
seems to work OK.

On Sat, 2017-04-08 at 16:10 -0700, MR ZenWiz wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 2:58 PM, Chris <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >

> > I can't help with your other issue but try this - https://code-indu
> > stry
> > .net/free-pdf-editor/ for filling out pdfs. I've used it quite a
> > few
> > times to fill out new patient forms for some of the doctors I'm
> > seeing
> > and it works fantastic.
> >
> That was excellent.  It still messed up a couple of fields, but that
> seems to be a problem (bug) with the form - AR also did that, though
> differently.
>
> Thanks!!
> MR

NP, glad to help

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C
31.11972; -97.90167 (Elev. 1092 ft)
19:13:22 up 1 day, 3:54, 1 user, load average: 0.18, 0.39, 0.27

Re: Slightly OT - VirtualBox VM doesn't connect to USB drive on Xubunt 16.04 host

Ralf Mardorf-2
I couldn't find the program I once used. However, back on my PC,
running Arch Linux at the moment, I right now tested "abiword" and it's
a PITA, but "evince" works without issues to fill in the form and save
it as PDF.

Xen

MR ZenWiz schreef op 08-04-2017 22:30:

> 2. Is there some way to enable USB printers such that a VM can access
> them (other than the network access method, which didn't work eiter)?

Not sure if this works. Some Ubuntu user posted a solution (for general
USB devices) on StackExchange:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20021300/usb-devices-are-not-recognized-in-virtualbox-linux-host/20066190#20066190

In short, the answer was to add the user running VirtualBox to the
vboxusers group.

But this was for generally mounting usb devices in the guest OS.
(Windows XP for him).

Regards.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/767937/how-to-install-adobe-acrobat-in-ubuntu-16-04