Slow slow slow.

Gabriel Jägenstedt
Heya!

I'm new to this list and have a problem.

Ubuntu is VERY slow, it can take up to 5 minutes to start apps like
grip, gnomebaker and gkrellm, before I did a reinstall nothing was
bogged down and flew by. The last system was built by apt-get
dist-upgrade from debian unstable a long time ago but now I installed
from install-cd and got a lot of crap like gnome that I really don't
want. I have never experienced this before. I run fluxbox and I'm used
to a very responsive system.

It is also important to state that several other applications like
firefox xterm and the like are barely noticed as taking time.
This far it's only been the g-applications =)

Thanks in advance to any help.

Re: Slow slow slow.

Vincent Trouilliez
> but now I installed from install-cd and got a lot of crap like gnome that I really don't
> want. I have never experienced this before. I run fluxbox and I'm used
> to a very responsive system.

I very much doubt Gnome is the cause of your problem. Gnome is not
"crap" (works perfectly on my old machine), but your attitude certainly
is.

> Thanks in advance to any help.

Good luck with that.

--
Vince

Re: Slow slow slow.

Jonathan Romero
You're going to need to upgrade your ram and your hard drive if you want to feel more responsiveness.

I use damn small linux on my slower systems, which works great.

Ubuntu can work fine on systems with slower processors, but it cannot have slow hard disks, nor will it tolerate small memory size.

-Jonathan

On 3/7/06, Vincent Trouilliez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> but now I installed from install-cd and got a lot of crap like gnome that I really don't
> want. I have never experienced this before. I run fluxbox and I'm used
> to a very responsive system.

I very much doubt Gnome is the cause of your problem. Gnome is not
"crap" (works perfectly on my old machine), but your attitude certainly
is.

> Thanks in advance to any help.

Good luck with that.

--
Vince

Jonathan S. Romero
http://www.jonnyro.com

Re: Slow slow slow.

Gabriel Jägenstedt
> I very much doubt Gnome is the cause of your problem. Gnome is not
> "crap" (works perfectly on my old machine), but your attitude certainly
> is.

I don't mean it's useless just that it does a lot of things I don't need
and want it to do. I don't know what the problem is obviously that's why
I posted here. I doubt it's gnome either since I uninstalled what I
could of it as soon as I was able to.

Re: Slow slow slow.

國產 Wei-Yee Chan
I'm puzzled....Why don't U install and run fluxbox then?  U could always
use dpkg to remove any unnecessary  packages.

Gabriel Jägenstedt wrote:

> Heya!
>
> I'm new to this list and have a problem.
>
> Ubuntu is VERY slow, it can take up to 5 minutes to start apps like
> grip, gnomebaker and gkrellm, before I did a reinstall nothing was
> bogged down and flew by. The last system was built by apt-get
> dist-upgrade from debian unstable a long time ago but now I installed
> from install-cd and got a lot of crap like gnome that I really don't
> want. I have never experienced this before. I run fluxbox and I'm used
> to a very responsive system.
>
> It is also important to state that several other applications like
> firefox xterm and the like are barely noticed as taking time.
> This far it's only been the g-applications =)
>
> Thanks in advance to any help.

Re: Slow slow slow.

Jonathan Romero
Very true.

Gabriel Jägenstedt wrote:

> Heya!
>
> I'm new to this list and have a problem.
>
> Ubuntu is VERY slow, it can take up to 5 minutes to start apps like
> grip, gnomebaker and gkrellm, before I did a reinstall nothing was
> bogged down and flew by. The last system was built by apt-get
> dist-upgrade from debian unstable a long time ago but now I installed
> from install-cd and got a lot of crap like gnome that I really don't
> want. I have never experienced this before. I run fluxbox and I'm used
> to a very responsive system.
>
> It is also important to state that several other applications like
> firefox xterm and the like are barely noticed as taking time.
> This far it's only been the g-applications =)
>
> Thanks in advance to any help.

Jonathan S. Romero

Re: Slow slow slow.

Gabriel Jägenstedt
I have installed fluxbox.
I might have been a bit unclear here.

I'm not exagerrating at least not much.
I have a Amd64 3700+ with 2GB ram that is the reason I'm so amazed at
the time it takes.

The thing is that only certain applications take that long, most are
fast. But the ones I know are slow are the ones I named.

Cheers

Phillip Susi wrote:

> If you prefer fluxbox to full blown gnome, then install fluxbox.  I'm
> not sure what you're asking for.  Also are you exaggerating when you say
> 5 minutes?  What kind of hardware is this?  A P-100 with 16 megs of ram?
>

> Gabriel Jägenstedt wrote:
>
>>Heya!
>>
>>I'm new to this list and have a problem.
>>
>>Ubuntu is VERY slow, it can take up to 5 minutes to start apps like
>>grip, gnomebaker and gkrellm, before I did a reinstall nothing was
>>bogged down and flew by. The last system was built by apt-get
>>dist-upgrade from debian unstable a long time ago but now I installed
>>from install-cd and got a lot of crap like gnome that I really don't
>>want. I have never experienced this before. I run fluxbox and I'm used
>>to a very responsive system.
>>
>>It is also important to state that several other applications like
>>firefox xterm and the like are barely noticed as taking time.
>>This far it's only been the g-applications =)
>>
>>Thanks in advance to any help.

Re: Slow slow slow.

Gabriel Jägenstedt
I actually do state in the mail that I "run" fluxbox as in use.
I've tried to clean up but I can't find what causes all this slowed down
behaviour. I'd just like to know what I should be looking for.

國產 Wei-Yee Chan wrote:

> I'm puzzled....Why don't U install and run fluxbox then?  U could always
> use dpkg to remove any unnecessary  packages.
>

> Gabriel Jägenstedt wrote:
>
>>Heya!
>>
>>I'm new to this list and have a problem.
>>
>>Ubuntu is VERY slow, it can take up to 5 minutes to start apps like
>>grip, gnomebaker and gkrellm, before I did a reinstall nothing was
>>bogged down and flew by. The last system was built by apt-get
>>dist-upgrade from debian unstable a long time ago but now I installed
>>from install-cd and got a lot of crap like gnome that I really don't
>>want. I have never experienced this before. I run fluxbox and I'm used
>>to a very responsive system.
>>
>>It is also important to state that several other applications like
>>firefox xterm and the like are barely noticed as taking time.
>>This far it's only been the g-applications =)
>>
>>Thanks in advance to any help.

Re: Slow slow slow.

國產 Wei-Yee Chan
I do not quite understand what U mean by that, but what I might suggest
is that U install synaptic (a front-end for apt-get) to make the removal
of unnecessary packages easier.

Gabriel Jägenstedt wrote:

> I don't mean it's useless just that it does a lot of things I don't need
> and want it to do. I don't know what the problem is obviously that's why
> I posted here. I doubt it's gnome either since I uninstalled what I
> could of it as soon as I was able to.

Re: Slow slow slow.

Chuck MATTSEN
On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 15:29:47 -0600, Gabriel Jägenstedt
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I very much doubt Gnome is the cause of your problem. Gnome is not
>> "crap" (works perfectly on my old machine), but your attitude certainly
>> is.
>
> I don't mean it's useless just that it does a lot of things I don't need
> and want it to do. I don't know what the problem is obviously that's why
> I posted here. I doubt it's gnome either since I uninstalled what I
> could of it as soon as I was able to.

I'm very much an Ubuntu/Kubuntu newbie, so may not be of much help here,
but if you're not getting errors, etc., but are simply seeing huge
slowdowns in startup, starting apps, etc., one thing you may want to look
into is your font cache.  I ran Mandrake/Mandriva cooker for a couple of
years, and that was often the cause of generalized slow-downs such as you
describe.

May or may not be a bum steer, but thought I'd throw it out there.

--
Chuck Mattsen (Mahnomen, MN)

Re: Slow slow slow.

國產 Wei-Yee Chan
OK, does this "slowness" apply to all apps or certain apps?  Do U need
to use grip, gnomebaker and gkrellm?

Gabriel Jägenstedt wrote:

> I actually do state in the mail that I "run" fluxbox as in use.
> I've tried to clean up but I can't find what causes all this slowed down
> behaviour. I'd just like to know what I should be looking for.
>
> 國產 Wei-Yee Chan wrote:
>
>> I'm puzzled....Why don't U install and run fluxbox then?  U could always
>> use dpkg to remove any unnecessary  packages.
>>

>> Gabriel Jägenstedt wrote:
>>

>>> Heya!
>>>
>>> I'm new to this list and have a problem.
>>>
>>> Ubuntu is VERY slow, it can take up to 5 minutes to start apps like
>>> grip, gnomebaker and gkrellm, before I did a reinstall nothing was
>>> bogged down and flew by. The last system was built by apt-get
>>> dist-upgrade from debian unstable a long time ago but now I installed
>>>
>> >from install-cd and got a lot of crap like gnome that I really don't
>>
>>> want. I have never experienced this before. I run fluxbox and I'm used
>>> to a very responsive system.
>>>
>>> It is also important to state that several other applications like
>>> firefox xterm and the like are barely noticed as taking time.
>>> This far it's only been the g-applications =)
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance to any help.

--

/*Sincerely,*/

*                         ______________
                         |Chan Wei Yee|
                         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      .---.        .-----------
                     /     \  __  /    ------
                    / /     \(`')/    -----
                   //////   ' \/ `   ---
                  //// / // :    : ---
                 // /   /  /`    '--
                //          //..\\
                           '//||\\`
           []
           oo //   Without Fear Or Prejudice
  ()%\%\%\%||::=================================-
           oo \\   Justitia Fiat, Ruat Coelum!
           []

*

*Email Addresses*

*:*

* [hidden email]*

*:*

* [hidden email]*

*:*

        * [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>*

*Web** Address*

        www.brisnet.org <http://www.brisnet.org/>

*Formerly*

*:*

*[hidden email]*

*:*

*[hidden email]*

*F**ax*

* :*

        1-954-206-4352
*ICQ*

* :*

        20680268
*Yahoo Msgr.*

* :*

        weiyee1972
*MSN* *:* [hidden email]

/"And he said, The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer;
The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn
of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest
me from violence.  I will call on the LORD, who is worthy to be praised:
so shall I be saved from mine enemies."  -- Samuel II 22:2–4//
/

//
/ /////////

_ <http://www.hkgirls.org/>_

Re: Slow slow slow.

國產 Wei-Yee Chan
Could U open a console window and type "sudo top" without the quotes,
and tell me what U see?

Gabriel Jägenstedt wrote:

> I have installed fluxbox.
> I might have been a bit unclear here.
>
> I'm not exagerrating at least not much.
> I have a Amd64 3700+ with 2GB ram that is the reason I'm so amazed at
> the time it takes.
>
> The thing is that only certain applications take that long, most are
> fast. But the ones I know are slow are the ones I named.
>
> Cheers

Re: Slow slow slow.

Gabriel Jägenstedt
This is the output of top.
I don't often use grip and gnomebaker but gkrellm is an everyday
application for me. I have it running all the time and previously had it
started on fluxbox start but since that slows down the login I removed
it now. Grip I'd like to use since I have a few settings for it for
ripping cd:s.

top - 22:58:42 up  2:02,  4 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.10, 0.09
Tasks:  72 total,   1 running,  71 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  0.3% us,  0.3% sy,  0.0% ni, 98.3% id,  0.0% wa,  0.3% hi,  0.7% si
Mem:   2074896k total,   394368k used,  1680528k free,    35552k buffers
Swap:   979924k total,        0k used,   979924k free,   239700k cached

  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND

 2704 gkrellmd  15   0 10652 1160  880 S  0.7  0.1   0:34.23 gkrellmd

 6493 gabriel   15   0 34152 9504 6640 S  0.3  0.5   0:00.69 gkrellm

    1 root      16   0  1560  532  460 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.19 init

    2 root      34  19     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 ksoftirqd/0

    3 root      RT   0     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 watchdog/0

    4 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.08 events/0

    5 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 khelper

    6 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 kthread

    8 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 kblockd/0

    9 root      20  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 kacpid

  127 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 khubd

  204 root      20   0     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 pdflush

  205 root      15   0     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.40 pdflush

  207 root      11  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 aio/0

  206 root      15   0     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:03.41 kswapd0

  291 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.01 kseriod

  321 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 ata/0

國產 Wei-Yee Chan wrote:

> Could U open a console window and type "sudo top" without the quotes,
> and tell me what U see?
>

> Gabriel Jägenstedt wrote:
>
>>I have installed fluxbox.
>>I might have been a bit unclear here.
>>
>>I'm not exagerrating at least not much.
>>I have a Amd64 3700+ with 2GB ram that is the reason I'm so amazed at
>>the time it takes.
>>
>>The thing is that only certain applications take that long, most are
>>fast. But the ones I know are slow are the ones I named.
>>
>>Cheers

Re: Slow slow slow.

Gabriel Jägenstedt

Chuck MATTSEN wrote:

I found references to this in some thread and tried running fc-cache, I
didn't see any improvement however. Do you have any more information
about this?

> I'm very much an Ubuntu/Kubuntu newbie, so may not be of much help
> here,  but if you're not getting errors, etc., but are simply seeing
> huge  slowdowns in startup, starting apps, etc., one thing you may want
> to look  into is your font cache.  I ran Mandrake/Mandriva cooker for a
> couple of  years, and that was often the cause of generalized slow-downs
> such as you  describe.
>
> May or may not be a bum steer, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Re: Slow slow slow.

國產 Wei-Yee Chan
Seems fine to me.  Could U now try launching some of those "slow apps",
and note the change in output?

Gabriel Jägenstedt wrote:

> This is the output of top.
> I don't often use grip and gnomebaker but gkrellm is an everyday
> application for me. I have it running all the time and previously had it
> started on fluxbox start but since that slows down the login I removed
> it now. Grip I'd like to use since I have a few settings for it for
> ripping cd:s.
>

> top - 22:58:42 up  2:02,  4 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.10, 0.09
> Tasks:  72 total,   1 running,  71 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
> Cpu(s):  0.3% us,  0.3% sy,  0.0% ni, 98.3% id,  0.0% wa,  0.3% hi,  0.7% si
> Mem:   2074896k total,   394368k used,  1680528k free,    35552k buffers
> Swap:   979924k total,        0k used,   979924k free,   239700k cached
>
>   PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>
>  2704 gkrellmd  15   0 10652 1160  880 S  0.7  0.1   0:34.23 gkrellmd
>
>  6493 gabriel   15   0 34152 9504 6640 S  0.3  0.5   0:00.69 gkrellm
>
>     1 root      16   0  1560  532  460 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.19 init
>
>     2 root      34  19     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 ksoftirqd/0
>
>     3 root      RT   0     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 watchdog/0
>
>     4 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.08 events/0
>
>     5 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 khelper
>
>     6 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 kthread
>
>     8 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 kblockd/0
>
>     9 root      20  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 kacpid
>
>   127 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 khubd
>
>   204 root      20   0     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 pdflush
>
>   205 root      15   0     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.40 pdflush
>
>   207 root      11  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 aio/0
>
>   206 root      15   0     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:03.41 kswapd0
>
>   291 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.01 kseriod
>
>   321 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 ata/0

Re: Slow slow slow.

Phillip Sc. Boegh
> Seems fine to me.  Could U now try launching some of those "slow apps",
> and note the change in output?
You can try to optimize your Ubuntu as I suggest in:
http://scientific.dk/IT-support/

Hope it helps - even it is not really finished.

Regards

Phillip

> Gabriel Jägenstedt wrote:
>> This is the output of top.
>> I don't often use grip and gnomebaker but gkrellm is an everyday
>> application for me. I have it running all the time and previously had it
>> started on fluxbox start but since that slows down the login I removed
>> it now. Grip I'd like to use since I have a few settings for it for
>> ripping cd:s.
>>

>> top - 22:58:42 up  2:02,  4 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.10, 0.09
>> Tasks:  72 total,   1 running,  71 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
>> Cpu(s):  0.3% us,  0.3% sy,  0.0% ni, 98.3% id,  0.0% wa,  0.3% hi,
>> 0.7% si
>> Mem:   2074896k total,   394368k used,  1680528k free,    35552k buffers
>> Swap:   979924k total,        0k used,   979924k free,   239700k cached
>>
>>   PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>>
>>  2704 gkrellmd  15   0 10652 1160  880 S  0.7  0.1   0:34.23 gkrellmd
>>
>>  6493 gabriel   15   0 34152 9504 6640 S  0.3  0.5   0:00.69 gkrellm
>>
>>     1 root      16   0  1560  532  460 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.19 init
>>
>>     2 root      34  19     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 ksoftirqd/0
>>
>>     3 root      RT   0     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 watchdog/0
>>
>>     4 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.08 events/0
>>
>>     5 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 khelper
>>
>>     6 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 kthread
>>
>>     8 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 kblockd/0
>>
>>     9 root      20  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 kacpid
>>
>>   127 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 khubd
>>
>>   204 root      20   0     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 pdflush
>>
>>   205 root      15   0     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.40 pdflush
>>
>>   207 root      11  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 aio/0
>>
>>   206 root      15   0     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:03.41 kswapd0
>>
>>   291 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.01 kseriod
>>
>>   321 root      10  -5     0    0    0 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 ata/0

Re: Slow slow slow.

Chuck MATTSEN
On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 16:03:55 -0600, Gabriel Jägenstedt
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chuck MATTSEN wrote:
>
> I found references to this in some thread and tried running fc-cache, I
> didn't see any improvement however. Do you have any more information
> about this?
>

>> I'm very much an Ubuntu/Kubuntu newbie, so may not be of much help
>> here,  but if you're not getting errors, etc., but are simply seeing
>> huge  slowdowns in startup, starting apps, etc., one thing you may want
>> to look  into is your font cache.  I ran Mandrake/Mandriva cooker for a
>> couple of  years, and that was often the cause of generalized slow-downs
>> such as you  describe.

No, not really, as I've not been using Mandriva at all lately and don't
have all that old mail concerning it.  You might be able to pull up
something with a Google search for the terms
font cache system slowdown
or similar, but I'm afraid I don't have anything specific to offer.  Just
a suggestion as one place to consider looking, as it reminded me of the
problems in cooker as recently as a few months back.

--
Chuck Mattsen (Mahnomen, MN)

Re: Slow slow slow.

Gabriel Jägenstedt
I can't see much happening really.
When I launch the program I get I slight raise in "us,"(whatever that
may be) But nothing big.
The applications jump in at the top for a short period of time then
dissapear. The memory used jumps up like 30M or so.

Then all the applications start at once a few minutes later I ran them
with gnomebaker & grip & gkrellm & To see what would happen. So it feels
safe to asume that something is halting these applications somewhere.
Why I can't tell.

Could there be some library missing that takes a lot of time to not find
or something like that?

國產 Wei-Yee Chan wrote:
> Seems fine to me.  Could U now try launching some of those "slow apps",
> and note the change in output?

Re: Slow slow slow.

Gabriel Jägenstedt
I'll have a look at that.