Smalltalk users?

Cj Pangilinan
Hi list,

Anyone here using smalltalk? I want to learn the basics of small talk for one of my projects. I am using ubuntu. And I want to know which version to install in my pc. I look at smalltalk.org and I saw many versions of smalltalk, ansi, squeak, gnu. What can you recommend for a starter like me?

Thanks,

cj

Re: Smalltalk users?

Jerome Gotangco-2
On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 12:08 PM, cj pangilinan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anyone here using smalltalk? I want to learn the basics of small talk for
> one of my projects. I am using ubuntu. And I want to know which version to
> install in my pc. I look at smalltalk.org and I saw many versions of
> smalltalk, ansi, squeak, gnu. What can you recommend for a starter like me?

I've been playing with smalltalk for quite sometime. It is always
recommended to learn smalltalk via squeak. The OLCP XO-1 has squeak as
well via the eToys activity package. You can also do web development
with smalltalk called Seaside using squeak .

I guess my main point is that I would use squeak for learning
smalltalk. People may scoff that squeak is a kid's toy oh boy they are
so wrong.

--
Jerome

Re: Smalltalk users?

Cj Pangilinan
Thanks Jerome. I am currently downloading Squeak by example and installing squeak. next I will also install squeak-plugin and seaside. Is seaside like rails?

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Jerome Gotangco <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 12:08 PM, cj pangilinan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anyone here using smalltalk? I want to learn the basics of small talk for
> one of my projects. I am using ubuntu. And I want to know which version to
> install in my pc. I look at smalltalk.org and I saw many versions of
> smalltalk, ansi, squeak, gnu. What can you recommend for a starter like me?

I've been playing with smalltalk for quite sometime. It is always
recommended to learn smalltalk via squeak. The OLCP XO-1 has squeak as
well via the eToys activity package. You can also do web development
with smalltalk called Seaside using squeak .

I guess my main point is that I would use squeak for learning
smalltalk. People may scoff that squeak is a kid's toy oh boy they are
so wrong.

--
Jerome

Carlos Jhunie L. Pangilinan, Jr.