Smart switch software for Linux/Ubuntu - is there anything available?

Smart switch software for Linux/Ubuntu - is there anything available?

Chris Green
Are there any brands of smart switch (smart lights, smart sockets,
smart plugs, whatever) which offer simple Linux interfaces?  I don't
have a 'smart' phone because I don't get on with them but I do just
about always have my laptop with me.  Also a major use of a smart
switch for me wouild be operating/resetting devices on my boat in
France remotely and I would want to do that from my desktop machine at
home.

--
Chris Green

Smart switch software for Linux/Ubuntu - is there anything available?

Mike Marchywka
 ( resend with attachment deleted due to size  - had picture from remote camera lol )

On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 10:05:43AM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> Are there any brands of smart switch (smart lights, smart sockets,
> smart plugs, whatever) which offer simple Linux interfaces?  I don't
> have a 'smart' phone because I don't get on with them but I do just
> about always have my laptop with me.  Also a major use of a smart
> switch for me wouild be operating/resetting devices on my boat in
> France remotely and I would want to do that from my desktop machine at
> home.

Do you actually mean smart or intefaced to a computer for computer
control? I was going to look for a lot of USB relays and even
power supplies  or cheap lab equipment so curious what you find.

I'm currently using a laptop for remote monitoring and
the connectivity and power can be issues. I interface using email-
I wrote my own replacement for procmail and will soon eliminate
fetchmail using a neomutt library along with libetpan.

It is mentioned in passing here, as MikeMail,

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/marchywka_adding-artwork-activity-6748265617696059392-b3Ej

the current version allows a lot of control but may not
be too secure yet although using email is nice for a lot of reasons.
You can send a zip file containing arbitrary code but it needs
to be signed with a public key available on the destination machine.

Its kind of fun, as you could imagine trying to talk to a satellite or
deep space probe lol.

And if you have any use for a quantiative diary, the main focus of that link,
feel free to express interest in Muqed.

> --
> Chris Green

mike marchywka
306 charles cox
canton GA 30115
USA, Earth
[hidden email]
404-788-1216
ORCID: 0000-0001-9237-455X

Re: Smart switch software for Linux/Ubuntu - is there anything available?

Thomas Kaiser (ubuntu)
On 27.12.20 11:05, Chris Green wrote:
> Are there any brands of smart switch (smart lights, smart sockets,
> smart plugs, whatever) which offer simple Linux interfaces?  I don't
> have a 'smart' phone because I don't get on with them but I do just
> about always have my laptop with me.  Also a major use of a smart
> switch for me wouild be operating/resetting devices on my boat in
> France remotely and I would want to do that from my desktop machine at
> home.

Shelly [1] has a lot of WiFi operated devices, controlled by the internal web interface or with ioBroker for example.

Or Homematic [2], search for smarthome, IoT, ioBroker. There is a lot out there...

[1] https://shelly.cloud/
[2] https://www.eq-3.com/products/homematic.html

Thomas

Re: Smart switch software for Linux/Ubuntu - is there anything available?

Mike Marchywka
Typically what do they do for remote control? So they connect to your LAN Wi-Fi
and then how do you access them from outside the LAN?

note new address
 Mike Marchywka 306 Charles Cox Drive Canton, GA 30115
 2295 Collinworth  Drive Marietta GA 30062.  formerly 487 Salem Woods Drive Marietta GA 30067 404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message 989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency

On 27.12.20 19:21, Mike Marchywka wrote:
> Typically what do they do for remote control? So they connect to your LAN Wi-Fi
> and then how do you access them from outside the LAN?

VPN! or use the cloud service for these devices...

Thomas