Snapping KDE

Aleix Pol Gonzalez
Hey Kubuntu,
At some point we should have the discussion regarding KDE Software
snaps. Who is going to create them and what's the adoption path. I
understand that the ultimate plan for Kubuntu would be able to build a
Plasma system on top of Ubuntu Core based on snaps.

Is this something you guys are looking into?
Is it something that you find desirable?

Aleix

Re: Snapping KDE

Gustavo Silva
Hello all,

Well, I am not sure if this is a community goal or not but snaps definitely look promising. I am not an expert though, as I haven't done much work with snaps. Just a couple snaps and usage of the python plugin. Nothing of this size.
Feel free to ping me if you are taking the lead on this as I would like to be a part of this and maybe find something to collaborate with.

Regards,
Gustavo.

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 at 23:12 Aleix Pol <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Kubuntu,
At some point we should have the discussion regarding KDE Software
snaps. Who is going to create them and what's the adoption path. I
understand that the ultimate plan for Kubuntu would be able to build a
Plasma system on top of Ubuntu Core based on snaps.

Is this something you guys are looking into?
Is it something that you find desirable?

Aleix

Best Regards / Obrigado e com os melhores cumprimentos,
Gustavo Silva

Re: Snapping KDE

Aaron Honeycutt-2

I haven't heard of any plans to snap the whole desktop. It's cool in concept for sure.

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017, 7:07 PM Gustavo Silva <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Aaron Honeycutt
- Ubuntu Fl Loco South Lead
- Kubuntu Council Member

Re: Snapping KDE

Clive Johnston-3
"understand that the ultimate plan for Kubuntu would be able to build a Plasma system on top of Ubuntu Core based on snaps."

I am not aware of any such plan.  I know KDE neon have been looking into creating snaps and Harold Sitter proposed and worked on ways to snap all of Frameworks, and I believe, Plasma too. My own experience with snaps hasn't been great (I find them large and sluggish, possibly due to poor internet speeds and low spec computer) compared to modular traditional packages, which give me control over what is installed or not.  Having to download sizeable blobs on a regular bases is very time consuming for me.

At the moment, the main priority for Kubuntu Devel team is to get the latest KDE releases packaged and into the archive for our users (even this is putting considerable pressure on the team) .  I don't think we currently have the skills or the person-power to be able to provide snaps as well - but this is just my personal opinion on the matter.

I think it is worth mentioning to the community and our user-base, maybe try putting our finger on the pulse and get a feel for how many users would like to or want to use snaps.  Having the conversation may encourage people with the skills to create snaps to step forward and give the plan some legs to carry it forward.

Clive

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 2:59 PM, Clive Johnston <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "I understand that the ultimate plan for Kubuntu would be able to build a
> Plasma system on top of Ubuntu Core based on snaps."
>
> I am not aware of any such plan.  I know KDE neon have been looking into
> creating snaps and Harold Sitter proposed and worked on ways to snap all of
> Frameworks, and I believe, Plasma too. My own experience with snaps hasn't
> been great (I find them large and sluggish, possibly due to poor internet
> speeds and low spec computer) compared to modular traditional packages,
> which give me control over what is installed or not.  Having to download
> sizeable blobs on a regular bases is very time consuming for me.

That's not the case if you use the Content Sharing interface which
Harald created and bundles Qt and most KDE Frameworks. With it
applications become tiny in comparison.

> At the moment, the main priority for Kubuntu Devel team is to get the latest
> KDE releases packaged and into the archive for our users (even this is
> putting considerable pressure on the team) .  I don't think we currently
> have the skills or the person-power to be able to provide snaps as well -
> but this is just my personal opinion on the matter.

Which is an impossible task to do because of the different release
schedules. But if Kubuntu releases KDE software under snaps we can
have a fresh experience out of the box, especially if we can make good
use of the channels.
With the advantage that when developers fix something, Kubuntu can
actually offer it to users no matter what.

FWIW, Harald put together this Plasma snap, maybe someone would be
interested in looking into its viability?
https://github.com/apachelogger/plasma-snap

Aleix

Re: Snapping KDE

Harald Sitter
On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 4:11 PM, Aleix Pol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> FWIW, Harald put together this Plasma snap, maybe someone would be
> interested in looking into its viability?
> https://github.com/apachelogger/plasma-snap

FTR: Reading material for the interested.

High-level overview and some musing on confinement
https://apachelog.wordpress.com/2017/02/21/plasma-in-a-snap/

Roadblocking relocatability musing
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/plasma-devel/2017-February/066782.html

HS

Re: Snapping KDE

Aaron Honeycutt-2

Well the main and most important bonus with snaps would be a way to get around the current Ubuntu vs KDE release cycles. We could have a latest Ubuntu base with the latest apps. I'd like to see if there is a problem with upstream Ubuntu to install all the base apps as snaps. Would be an interesting idea I think.