Software repository failure

Jim Byrnes-4
I was trying to update Ubuntu 18.04 on a laptop I seldom use and got a
message saying it could not connect to a repository check your internet
connection. Nothing was wrong with the connection. It did not say which
repository it could not connect to, so what log do I look at to identify it?

Regards,  Jim

Re: Software repository failure

Colin Law
On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 at 22:00, Jim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was trying to update Ubuntu 18.04 on a laptop I seldom use and got a
> message saying it could not connect to a repository check your internet
> connection. Nothing was wrong with the connection. It did not say which
> repository it could not connect to, so what log do I look at to identify it?

Probably it is a temporary issue with the repository server, which may
well have gone away by now.  If not then in a terminal run
sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
and see if any errors are shown.

Colin

> Regards,  Jim

Re: Software repository failure

Robert Heller
At Sat, 13 Jul 2019 15:58:31 -0500 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was trying to update Ubuntu 18.04 on a laptop I seldom use and got a
> message saying it could not connect to a repository check your internet
> connection. Nothing was wrong with the connection. It did not say which
> repository it could not connect to, so what log do I look at to identify it?

As I guess, it is possible systemd-resolved has gone south, which means DNS
lookups might be failing.  Try (in a terminal window):

sudo systemctl restart systemd-resolved

and try again.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Re: Software repository failure

David Fletcher-5
On Sat, 2019-07-13 at 15:58 -0500, Jim wrote:
> I was trying to update Ubuntu 18.04 on a laptop I seldom use and got
> message saying it could not connect to a repository check your
> internet
> connection.

My desktop was showing a red 'X' earlier this evening. It does it from
time to time probably while repositories are being updated.

It now shows a green tick. All appears to be well.

Dave

Re: Software repository failure

Colin Watson
On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 03:58:31PM -0500, Jim wrote:
> I was trying to update Ubuntu 18.04 on a laptop I seldom use and got a
> message saying it could not connect to a repository check your internet
> connection. Nothing was wrong with the connection. It did not say which
> repository it could not connect to, so what log do I look at to identify it?

If it was a PPA, then we were doing hardware maintenance on
ppa.launchpad.net on Saturday (advertised on
https://twitter.com/launchpadstatus), which would have caused this sort
of behaviour.

On 7/13/19 4:07 PM, Colin Law wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 at 22:00, Jim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I was trying to update Ubuntu 18.04 on a laptop I seldom use and got a
>> message saying it could not connect to a repository check your internet
>> connection. Nothing was wrong with the connection. It did not say which
>> repository it could not connect to, so what log do I look at to identify it?
>
> Probably it is a temporary issue with the repository server, which may
> well have gone away by now.  If not then in a terminal run
> sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
> and see if any errors are shown.
>
> Colin

Thanks Colin.

That got me the info I needed. It said Chrome stable Release changed its
Origin value from Google, Inc to Google LLC. Once I explicitly accepted
that change I was able to update.

On 7/14/19 6:08 PM, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 03:58:31PM -0500, Jim wrote:
>> I was trying to update Ubuntu 18.04 on a laptop I seldom use and got a
>> message saying it could not connect to a repository check your internet
>> connection. Nothing was wrong with the connection. It did not say which
>> repository it could not connect to, so what log do I look at to identify it?
>
> If it was a PPA, then we were doing hardware maintenance on
> ppa.launchpad.net on Saturday (advertised on
> https://twitter.com/launchpadstatus), which would have caused this sort
> of behaviour.

See my message to the 'other' Colin. Seems Google changed it's name and
that caused the problem. I do find it strange that no one else seems to
have run into this.

On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 at 19:57, Jim <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/14/19 6:08 PM, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 03:58:31PM -0500, Jim wrote:
> >> I was trying to update Ubuntu 18.04 on a laptop I seldom use and got a
> >> message saying it could not connect to a repository check your internet
> >> connection. Nothing was wrong with the connection. It did not say which
> >> repository it could not connect to, so what log do I look at to identify it?
> >
> > If it was a PPA, then we were doing hardware maintenance on
> > ppa.launchpad.net on Saturday (advertised on
> > https://twitter.com/launchpadstatus), which would have caused this sort
> > of behaviour.
> >

> See my message to the 'other' Colin. Seems Google changed it's name and
> that caused the problem. I do find it strange that no one else seems to
> have run into this.

I saw it too (some weeks ago I think), but as I always update via the
command line it wasn't an issue for me.  I like to see what is being
updated.  It would only be those using the google repository that
would see it of course.

Colin L.

On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 13:51:57 -0500, Jim wrote:
>Seems Google changed it's name and that caused the problem. I do find
>it strange that no one else seems to have run into this.

IMO it's stranger that users nowadays are staying with a browser.

You can't trust any security and privacy feature, the way trackers are
handled and ads are suppressed or even replaced, let alone how they
ensure to prevent users from visiting phishing sites etc. is completely
non-transparent, unless users spend much time again and again to deal
with this domains on computer freak level. Even then it unlikely
becomes really transparent, it's just not completely non-transparent
anymore.

Only very seldom, if at all, there should be the need to go to
about:config, or to set up SOME_ENVIRONMENT_VARIABLE, or to care about
curry-flavor-whatsoeverAPI-flop plugins or different levels of HTML5
support, H.123 whatsoever, neither the need to care about the selected
sound server, chosen plugins to provide features or just a theme,
either a browser theme or even the desktop theme. At least after caring
about such pitfalls again and again, stable browser releases should
stay stable with almost all updates, but it's common practise that most
browsers at least temporarily become completely unusable or that
developers stay with some bad design that might cause that some
websites are for example able to make the browser unresponsive.

What I'm missing by most browsers nowadays is a good old history. If I
searched the history for hours for some pics, videos, audio files or
articles and I click the first of those links, then the cursor should
stay at the position of the successfully search, but what actually
happens by most browsers is, that this clicked link jumps to the top of
the history and the cursor does follow the jumping link, so that the
search is lost.

I'm using several browsers and dislike all of them. Actually, while
browser A might do one job correct, it might be needed to switch to
browser B, to get another job well done, while the user might stay at
just one website.

Re: Software repository failure

16 July 2019  at 8:47, Colin Law wrote:
Re: Software repository failure (at least in part)

>On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 at 19:57, Jim <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I saw it too (some weeks ago I think), but as I always update via the
>command line it wasn't an issue for me.  I like to see what is being
>updated.  It would only be those using the google repository that
>would see it of course.

I'll keep an eye out for a problem next time I update as my Hosts file has
100's of "Google" ip's blocked out

The only down side (so far) has been that many (but oddly not all) sites that
rely on reCapture no longer work

OFF-LIST - Was: Software repository failure

Little Girl
Hey there,

I thought I'd take this off-list since it's a new topic.

>I'm using several browsers and dislike all of them. Actually, while
>browser A might do one job correct, it might be needed to switch to
>browser B, to get another job well done, while the user might stay at
>just one website.

Just curious, but have you tried the Vivaldi browser? I don't know if
it handles the history the way you like to because I have it clear my
history every time I close it, leaving me no history to search, but
it's worth a try.

They're a rather interesting team with a surprisingly configurable
browser. My only reason for not using it exclusively is that it's not
open source.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: Software repository failure

On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 at 10:33, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm using several browsers and dislike all of them. Actually, while
> browser A might do one job correct, it might be needed to switch to
> browser B, to get another job well done, while the user might stay at
> just one website.

Agreed.

I use 2, side by side. Chrome for "Web 2" type stuff. I normally leave
Gmail open in it all day, and occasionally open Google Calendar or
Contacts or Keep or Docs. It's also better for videoconferencing
stuff.

This applies in Linux, on macOS and on Windows.

And Waterfox for everything else, which replace Firefox after Firefox
Quantum, when 17/20 of my addons stopped working.

Many months later, now, I can sort of configure Firefox Quantum to
look vaguely like I want, with a vertical tab bar (only) and some core
extensions, but it's a poor shadow of what Firefox used to be able to
do. So I don't use it any more. I switched to Waterfox.

I've tried Vivaldi and modern Opera and they're OK, but not good
enough to lure me away from the 2-browser system I quite like.

Re: OFF-LIST - Was: Software repository failure

16 July 2019  at 8:01, Little Girl wrote:
OFF-LIST - Was: Software repository (at least in part)

>Hey there,
>
>I thought I'd take this off-list since it's a new topic.

Looks on list to me ;->)

Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:

>16 July 2019  at 8:01, Little Girl wrote:
>>
>>I thought I'd take this off-list since it's a new topic.
>
>Looks on list to me ;->)

Yep. I'm getting a flat spot on my head from kicking myself for that.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: OFF-LIST - Was: Software repository failure

Bret Busby-2
On 17/07/2019, Little Girl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
>
>>16 July 2019  at 8:01, Little Girl wrote:
>>>
>>>I thought I'd take this off-list since it's a new topic.
>>
>>Looks on list to me ;->)
>
> Yep. I'm getting a flat spot on my head from kicking myself for that.
>
> --
> Little Girl
>
> There is no spoon.

I had understood, from your post, that, because, as you said, it is a
new topic, you meant, not that you were taking it off-list, but, that
you were taking it out of that thread, and, creating a new
thread/topic.

That was the impression that I got, by context.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."