Software updater hangs after about 80%

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Software updater hangs after about 80%

Richard Kimber
I started todays update, but this hangs during configuration of
linux-image-4.15.0-24-generic

What's the best course of action in this situation?

The last few messages are:-

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-24-generic
/sbin/ldconfig.real: Warning: ignoring configuration file that cannot
be opened: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_EGL.conf: No such file or
directory /sbin/ldconfig.real: Warning: ignoring configuration file
that cannot be opened: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_GL.conf: No
such file or directory /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub:
Generating grub configuration file ... Found linux
image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-24-generic Found initrd
image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-24-generic Found linux
image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-23-generic Found initrd
image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-23-generic Found linux
image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-22-generic Found initrd
image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-22-generic

Messages before that seem to be OK.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Software updater hangs after about 80%

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Montag, den 02.07.2018, 14:07 +0100 schrieb Richard Kimber:

> I started todays update, but this hangs during configuration of
> linux-image-4.15.0-24-generic
>
> What's the best course of action in this situation?
>
> The last few messages are:-
>
> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-24-generic
> /sbin/ldconfig.real: Warning: ignoring configuration file that cannot
> be opened: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_EGL.conf: No such file or
> directory
that warning (note it isnt an error and not fatal or anything) looks
like a missing or dangling alternative for a graphics driver ... take a
look with:

update-alternatives --list i386-linux-gnu_egl_conf 

that should show where it thinks it points to (you can also try --
config instead of --list to pick another graphics driver for the GLES
and GL libs)

> /sbin/ldconfig.real: Warning: ignoring configuration file
> that cannot be opened: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_GL.conf: No
> such file or directory /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub:

same as above ... the alternatives command would be:

update-alternatives --list i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf

> Generating grub configuration file ... Found linux
> image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-24-generic Found initrd
> image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-24-generic Found linux
> image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-23-generic Found initrd
> image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-23-generic Found linux
> image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-22-generic Found initrd
> image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-22-generic

that looks actually like it finishes properly after generating the
initrd and grub configs ... did you give it some time ? perhaps it is
just slow ...

ciao
        oli
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

signature.asc (188 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Software updater hangs after about 80%

Richard Kimber
On Mon, 02 Jul 2018 15:25:31 +0200
Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> > update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-24-generic
> > /sbin/ldconfig.real: Warning: ignoring configuration file that
> > cannot be opened: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_EGL.conf: No
> > such file or directory  
>
> that warning (note it isnt an error and not fatal or anything) looks
> like a missing or dangling alternative for a graphics driver ... take
> a look with:
>
> update-alternatives --list i386-linux-gnu_egl_conf 
>
> that should show where it thinks it points to (you can also try --
> config instead of --list to pick another graphics driver for the GLES
> and GL libs)
>

Hi
Thanks for responding. I should have mentioned I'm using 18.04 on a 64
bit machine. Presumably i386 is irrelevant ??

> > /sbin/ldconfig.real: Warning: ignoring configuration file
> > that cannot be opened: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_GL.conf: No
> > such file or directory /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub:  
>
> same as above ... the alternatives command would be:
>
> update-alternatives --list i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf
>
> > Generating grub configuration file ... Found linux
> > image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-24-generic Found initrd
> > image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-24-generic Found linux
> > image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-23-generic Found initrd
> > image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-23-generic Found linux
> > image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-22-generic Found initrd
> > image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-22-generic  
>
> that looks actually like it finishes properly after generating the
> initrd and grub configs ... did you give it some time ? perhaps it is
> just slow ...

It's been stuck at that point for well over an hour ....

Should I just reboot? Or is there something else crucial that the
update needs to do after this?  I guess if not then a reboot is the
best option ??

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Software updater hangs after about 80%

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Montag, den 02.07.2018, 14:52 +0100 schrieb Richard Kimber:

> Thanks for responding. I should have mentioned I'm using 18.04 on a
> 64
> bit machine. Presumably i386 is irrelevant ??
>
i386 will be relevant for wine, steam etc ... all packages that are
using i386 multiarch stuff. if you do not use any such packages it is
indeed irrelevant ...

> >   
> > that looks actually like it finishes properly after generating the
> > initrd and grub configs ... did you give it some time ? perhaps it
> > is
> > just slow ...
> It's been stuck at that point for well over an hour ....

yeah, i meant more like "wait for 5-10 min instead of 1-2" :)
>
> Should I just reboot? Or is there something else crucial that the
> update needs to do after this?  I guess if not then a reboot is the
> best option ??
>

i'd just reboot and hope for the best ... worst case you can always use
the grub menu to go back to the former boot set up (and kernel) if
anything goes wrong ...

ciao
        oli
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

signature.asc (188 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Software updater hangs after about 80%

Colin Watson
In reply to this post by Richard Kimber
On Mon, Jul 02, 2018 at 02:07:51PM +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:

> I started todays update, but this hangs during configuration of
> linux-image-4.15.0-24-generic
>
> What's the best course of action in this situation?
>
> The last few messages are:-
>
> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-24-generic
> /sbin/ldconfig.real: Warning: ignoring configuration file that cannot
> be opened: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_EGL.conf: No such file or
> directory /sbin/ldconfig.real: Warning: ignoring configuration file
> that cannot be opened: /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_GL.conf: No
> such file or directory /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub:
> Generating grub configuration file ... Found linux
> image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-24-generic Found initrd
> image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-24-generic Found linux
> image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-23-generic Found initrd
> image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-23-generic Found linux
> image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-22-generic Found initrd
> image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-22-generic

This sounds like a thread from a week or two ago.  Check whether you
have any stuck remote mounts or similar that might cause 'sync' to hang;
unmounting them may well help.

--
Colin Watson                                       [[hidden email]]

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Software updater hangs after about 80%

Richard Kimber
On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 15:01:00 +0100
Colin Watson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 02, 2018 at 02:07:51PM +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:
> > I started todays update, but this hangs during configuration of
> > linux-image-4.15.0-24-generic

> This sounds like a thread from a week or two ago.  Check whether you
> have any stuck remote mounts or similar that might cause 'sync' to
> hang; unmounting them may well help.
>

Thanks. ps ax |grep mount gives

 1531 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd --manage-gids
14047 pts/3    SN+0:00 /bin/sh /usr/lib/os-probes/50mounted-tests /dev/sdk1
14053 pts/3    DN+    0:00 grub-mount /dev/sdk1 /var/lib/os-prober/mount

Is this the problem?

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Software updater hangs after about 80%

Liam Proven
In reply to this post by Colin Watson
On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 at 16:02, Colin Watson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This sounds like a thread from a week or two ago.  Check whether you
> have any stuck remote mounts or similar that might cause 'sync' to hang;
> unmounting them may well help.

I was about to say the same.

There's a known bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/1667512

You might want to mark that this applies to you.

Kill the update process, unmount all drives except absolute essentials
-- root and home -- and try again. I suggest _not_ rebooting until you
do that!

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Software updater hangs after about 80%

Liam Proven
In reply to this post by Richard Kimber
On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 at 16:58, Richard Kimber
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks. ps ax |grep mount gives
>
>  1531 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd --manage-gids
> 14047 pts/3    SN+0:00 /bin/sh /usr/lib/os-probes/50mounted-tests /dev/sdk1
> 14053 pts/3    DN+    0:00 grub-mount /dev/sdk1 /var/lib/os-prober/mount
>
> Is this the problem?

Sd*k*? :-o Gosh. That's a high letter. Do you have sda/sdb/sdc...sdj as well?


--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Software updater hangs after about 80%

Richard Kimber
On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 17:19:24 +0200
Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sd*k*? :-o Gosh. That's a high letter. Do you have sda/sdb/sdc...sdj
> as well?

I have up to sdg in fstab, but when I use a card reader SD cards
usually come up as sdk, but this is not plugged in at the moment.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Software updater hangs after about 80%

Liam Proven
On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 at 17:34, Richard Kimber
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have up to sdg in fstab, but when I use a card reader SD cards
> usually come up as sdk, but this is not plugged in at the moment.

Wow.

OK... is it internal or a USB thing? If the latter, unplug it while
trying the update?

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Software updater hangs after about 80%

Richard Kimber
On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 18:08:02 +0200
Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 at 17:34, Richard Kimber
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I have up to sdg in fstab, but when I use a card reader SD cards
> > usually come up as sdk, but this is not plugged in at the moment.  
>
> Wow.
>
> OK... is it internal or a USB thing? If the latter, unplug it while
> trying the update?
>

It's USB. It has 4 slots, so I suppose that accounts for the sdk. The
reader was plugged in, but no card was plugged into the reader. I've
taken the reader out now, so I guess I'll kill the update process.  Is
it both of these?

4762 pts/3    SN+
0:00 /bin/sh /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-4.15.0-24-generic.postinst
triggered linux-update-4.15.0-24-generic

25451 ?        SNl
0:08 /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/update-manager --no-update
--no-focus-on-map

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Software updater hangs after about 80%

Liam Proven
On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 at 18:27, Richard Kimber
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It's USB. It has 4 slots, so I suppose that accounts for the sdk.

Would only seem to account for h/i/j/k but maybe if some slots do
different types of media, then they'd take >1 letter up. I don't
actually have a modern one of these things; the only modern media I
use are µSD and all my machines have built-in readers for those. As a
result I am not familiar with their foibles.

> The
> reader was plugged in, but no card was plugged into the reader.

Yes, you mentioned, and in theory, it should not induce this bug if
there are no volume(s) mounted.

> I've
> taken the reader out now, so I guess I'll kill the update process.  Is
> it both of these?
>
> 4762 pts/3    SN+
> 0:00 /bin/sh /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-4.15.0-24-generic.postinst
> triggered linux-update-4.15.0-24-generic
>
> 25451 ?        SNl
> 0:08 /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/update-manager --no-update
> --no-focus-on-map

Ah, it was happening from the GUI, not the CLI? Hm. I would suggest
the latter first, then a retry, and if that doesn't work, then the
former.

To retry, open a shell  (Ctrl+Alt+T) and type:

sudo apt full-upgrade -y

If it complains of errors, try:

sudo apt install -f


--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Software updater hangs after about 80%

Richard Kimber
On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 18:32:04 +0200
Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 at 18:27, Richard Kimber
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > It's USB. It has 4 slots, so I suppose that accounts for the sdk.  
>
> Would only seem to account for h/i/j/k but maybe if some slots do
> different types of media, then they'd take >1 letter up. I don't
> actually have a modern one of these things; the only modern media I
> use are µSD and all my machines have built-in readers for those. As a
> result I am not familiar with their foibles.
>
> > The
> > reader was plugged in, but no card was plugged into the reader.  
>
> Yes, you mentioned, and in theory, it should not induce this bug if
> there are no volume(s) mounted.
>
> > I've
> > taken the reader out now, so I guess I'll kill the update process.
> > Is it both of these?
> >
> > 4762 pts/3    SN+
> > 0:00 /bin/sh /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-4.15.0-24-generic.postinst
> > triggered linux-update-4.15.0-24-generic
> >
> > 25451 ?        SNl
> > 0:08 /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/update-manager --no-update
> > --no-focus-on-map  
>
> Ah, it was happening from the GUI, not the CLI? Hm. I would suggest
> the latter first, then a retry, and if that doesn't work, then the
> former.
>
> To retry, open a shell  (Ctrl+Alt+T) and type:
>
> sudo apt full-upgrade -y
>
> If it complains of errors, try:
>
> sudo apt install -f

The latter worked ok, but sudo apt full-upgrade -y just gave a help
message listing the commands, and sudo apt install -f complained that
it could not get an exclusive lock.

I tried killing the other process, but it remains in the list.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Software updater hangs after about 80%

Liam Proven
On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 at 18:49, Richard Kimber
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The latter worked ok, but sudo apt full-upgrade -y just gave a help
> message listing the commands

Hmmm. I thought ``apt'' was fully implemented in 16.04 but if not the
older ``apt-get'' equivalent is:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y

>  and sudo apt install -f complained that
> it could not get an exclusive lock.

So there's still an operation running.

> I tried killing the other process, but it remains in the list.

How did you try, please?

sudo kill [pid]
...?

sudo kill -9 [pid]
...?

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Software updater hangs after about 80%

Richard Kimber
On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 19:01:01 +0200
Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 at 18:49, Richard Kimber
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The latter worked ok, but sudo apt full-upgrade -y just gave a help
> > message listing the commands  
>
> Hmmm. I thought ``apt'' was fully implemented in 16.04 but if not the
> older ``apt-get'' equivalent is:
>
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y

I'm using 18.04

> So there's still an operation running.
>
> > I tried killing the other process, but it remains in the list.  
>
> How did you try, please?
>
> sudo kill [pid]
> ...?
>
> sudo kill -9 [pid]
> ...?
>

I used sudo kill -HUP [pid]

but I've now used -9 and that has worked. However, sudo apt install -f
still complains about not getting lock.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Software updater hangs after about 80%

Ralf Mardorf-2
In reply to this post by Liam Proven
On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 19:01:01 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 at 18:49, Richard Kimber wrote:
>> sudo apt install -f complained that
>> it could not get an exclusive lock.  
>
>So there's still an operation running.

Not necessarily...

>> I tried killing the other process, but it remains in the list.

...what ever signal is send to end the process, if something went
wrong in the first place, it could happen that the lock file isn't
removed.

I tend to be reckless with removing lock files manually, wimps or users
without backups should check if a lock file is really unused, before
removing it.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/15433/unable-to-lock-the-administration-directory-var-lib-dpkg-is-another-process
https://askubuntu.com/questions/157196/unable-to-use-package-manager-due-to-exclusive-lock-error


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Software updater hangs after about 80%

Richard Kimber
On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 22:12:52 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 19:01:01 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
> >On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 at 18:49, Richard Kimber wrote:  
> >> sudo apt install -f complained that
> >> it could not get an exclusive lock.    
> >
> >So there's still an operation running.  
>
> Not necessarily...
>
> >> I tried killing the other process, but it remains in the list.  
>
> ...what ever signal is send to end the process, if something went
> wrong in the first place, it could happen that the lock file isn't
> removed.
>
> I tend to be reckless with removing lock files manually, wimps or
> users without backups should check if a lock file is really unused,
> before removing it.
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/15433/unable-to-lock-the-administration-directory-var-lib-dpkg-is-another-process
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/157196/unable-to-use-package-manager-due-to-exclusive-lock-error

Thanks. I looked for apt processes, as one of your references suggested,
and killed that. The software updater then ran and said it was checking
for updates, but stopped at the point where it said "running post
installation trigger linux-image-4.15.0-24-generic"

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Software updater hangs after about 80%

Richard Kimber
On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 10:28:34 +0100
Richard Kimber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 22:12:52 +0200
> Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I tend to be reckless with removing lock files manually, wimps or
> > users without backups should check if a lock file is really unused,
> > before removing it.
> >
> > https://askubuntu.com/questions/15433/unable-to-lock-the-administration-directory-var-lib-dpkg-is-another-process
> > https://askubuntu.com/questions/157196/unable-to-use-package-manager-due-to-exclusive-lock-error 
>
> Thanks. I looked for apt processes, as one of your references
> suggested, and killed that. The software updater then ran and said it
> was checking for updates, but stopped at the point where it said
> "running post installation trigger linux-image-4.15.0-24-generic"

I then removed /var/lib/dpkg/lock  and did sudo dpkg --configure -a
from the command line. This does not return the prompt and ends with
"Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-22-generic"

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Software updater hangs after about 80%

Liam Proven
On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 at 11:38, Richard Kimber
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> I then removed /var/lib/dpkg/lock  and did sudo dpkg --configure -a
> from the command line. This does not return the prompt and ends with
> "Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-22-generic"

Aaaargh. :-(

It sounds like this is rapidly becoming a serious bug that's affecting
multiple users...

--
Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Software updater hangs after about 80%

Colin Law
In reply to this post by Richard Kimber
On 3 July 2018 at 10:36, Richard Kimber <[hidden email]> wrote:
...
I then removed /var/lib/dpkg/lock  and did sudo dpkg --configure -a
from the command line. This does not return the prompt and ends with
"Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-22-generic"

You can confirm whether it is the issue mentioned by opening a terminal and running the command
sync
If that hangs then it is that issue.

Colin


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
12