Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
Hello,
Did you check the sun.com website which claims that Solaris 10 is the
most advanced OS on the planet? Could anyone tell me what grounds is
the claim based upon. I was surprised to see that claim and has anyone
out there used it to testify on its truthfullness? Are there many such
claims? Thanks...

Re: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

David Strauss-2
On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 11:19 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> Hello,
> Did you check the sun.com website which claims that Solaris 10 is the
> most advanced OS on the planet? Could anyone tell me what grounds is
> the claim based upon. I was surprised to see that claim and has anyone
> out there used it to testify on its truthfullness? Are there many such
> claims? Thanks...

Solaris has many enterprise-grade features that Linux and other UNIX or
UNIX-like OSes still lack. One that immediately comes to mind is the
ability to pause and encapsulate a process, move it to a different
computer, then continue running it. That's useful for load-balancing and
managing server cluster hardware and software.

There are plenty of documents online that document other unique features
of Solaris. You'll find that Sun's claim isn't completely unfounded.

--
David Strauss <[hidden email]>

On 11/4/05, David Strauss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 11:19 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Did you check the sun.com website which claims that Solaris 10 is the
> > most advanced OS on the planet? Could anyone tell me what grounds is
> > the claim based upon. I was surprised to see that claim and has anyone
> > out there used it to testify on its truthfullness? Are there many such
> > claims? Thanks...
> >

> Solaris has many enterprise-grade features that Linux and other UNIX or
> UNIX-like OSes still lack. One that immediately comes to mind is the
> ability to pause and encapsulate a process, move it to a different
> computer, then continue running it. That's useful for load-balancing and
> managing server cluster hardware and software.
>
> There are plenty of documents online that document other unique features
> of Solaris. You'll find that Sun's claim isn't completely unfounded.

Thanks for this reply... I'm going for those docs. I'm just surprised
that nobody in these lists publicly embraces these features...

Re: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

Eamonn Sullivan
On 04/11/05, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
> Did you check the sun.com website which claims that Solaris 10 is the
> most advanced OS on the planet? Could anyone tell me what grounds is
> the claim based upon. I was surprised to see that claim and has anyone
> out there used it to testify on its truthfullness? Are there many such
> claims? Thanks...

If you want to put the claim to the test, there's now a version of
Solaris running with mostly ubuntu/debian applications on top:

http://www.gnusolaris.org/gswiki/Home

I'm not an OS zealot any more. The more the merrier...

-Eamonn

Re: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

Rebel Lion-2
On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 22:26, David Strauss wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 11:19 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Did you check the sun.com website which claims that Solaris 10 is the
> > most advanced OS on the planet? Could anyone tell me what grounds is
> > the claim based upon. I was surprised to see that claim and has anyone
> > out there used it to testify on its truthfullness? Are there many such
> > claims? Thanks...
>
> Solaris has many enterprise-grade features that Linux and other UNIX or
> UNIX-like OSes still lack. One that immediately comes to mind is the
> ability to pause and encapsulate a process, move it to a different
> computer, then continue running it. That's useful for load-balancing and
> managing server cluster hardware and software.
>
> There are plenty of documents online that document other unique features
> of Solaris. You'll find that Sun's claim isn't completely unfounded.

 Am I missing something here, this has what to do with Ubuntu ?

--
*~~~~~DakaR
linux user #215413

Re[2]: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

custom-5
Hello David,

>> > Did you check the sun.com website which claims that Solaris 10 is the
>> > most advanced OS on the planet? Could anyone tell me what grounds is
>> > the claim based upon. I was surprised to see that claim and has anyone
>> > out there used it to testify on its truthfullness?

It doesn't matter that much.

Compare: The NASA Space Shuttle is the most advanced vehicle known to
mankind. This does not mean you really need or want one to go
to the office next Monday morning.  :)

Cheers,
Chanchao

On 11/4/05, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 11:19 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Did you check the sun.com website which claims that Solaris 10 is the
> > most advanced OS on the planet? Could anyone tell me what grounds is
> > the claim based upon. I was surprised to see that claim and has anyone
>
> Surprised?  That someone claims that their product is the greatest?
>
> That's very naive.
>
> > out there used it to testify on its truthfullness?
>
> Why ask us?  Have you Googled?

Sorry... I just wanted to get some somments.

Re: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

Paul Johnson
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:

> Hello,
> Did you check the sun.com website which claims that Solaris 10 is the
> most advanced OS on the planet? Could anyone tell me what grounds is
> the claim based upon.

Pretty much nothing.

> I was surprised to see that claim and has anyone
> out there used it to testify on its truthfullness? Are there many such
> claims? Thanks...

Yes.  Microsoft, for instance, is known to distort truth and flat out lie to
further the opinion that Windows is the most advanced OS out there.

--
Paul Johnson
Email and Instant Messenger (Jabber): [hidden email]

On 11/4/05, Paul Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > Did you check the sun.com website which claims that Solaris 10 is the
> > most advanced OS on the planet? Could anyone tell me what grounds is
> > the claim based upon.
>
> Pretty much nothing.
>
> > I was surprised to see that claim and has anyone
> > out there used it to testify on its truthfullness? Are there many such

> > claims? Thanks...
>
> Yes.  Microsoft, for instance, is known to distort truth and flat out lie to
> further the opinion that Windows is the most advanced OS out there.

I thought it was nobody but Microsoft but after some Googling, I found
that it was also Mac's Tiger.

Re: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

Craig M. Houck-2
That statement might be a bit bold, but only a bit. We are examinging it to upgrade from Solaris 9.

It has some new and advanced features that 'I' feel does make it a new flavor of UNIX.The zone feature, the way it allows PRIV's for users and groups, better security methods, the way it watches, reports and fixes itself.
If you are really interested go to:
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/index.jsp
Gives an intro. Also read what users say, always the best info there:
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/saying.jsp

If you have an x86  machine to spare you can download for free at:
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp
You might have to register.
As with anything trying for your self will prove its value.
I happen to think Solaris is great. ...having said that I continue (w/ my boss) to be a loud voice for Debian as server s/w.
We have a large public lab that I converted from Solaris 9 on Sunblades to Debian on Pentium 4s.

--
RotBotL

Craig  ..................  ><>
Systems: Servers; Software; Solution.

Re: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

Lars Roland
On 11/4/05, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
> Did you check the sun.com website which claims that Solaris 10 is the
> most advanced OS on the planet? Could anyone tell me what grounds is
> the claim based upon. I was surprised to see that claim and has anyone
> out there used it to testify on its truthfullness? Are there many such
> claims? Thanks...

Well I am not a Solaris fan boy but I have worked with Unix for 10+
years (Solaris, AIX, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Tru64 Unix and Linux) and there
is no doubt that Solaris is one of the better ones. It is very tightly
crafted (i.e. a limited choice of software that does what it is
supposed to do), very secure and just plain works.

I personally would still any day use Debian on a Server (except for
Woody, Debian has a very good track record in the server field) and
Gentoo on my development laptop/workstation. But there should be no
doubt that technologies like zFS
(http://www.sun.com/2004-0914/feature/),  Zones
(http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/zones/) and dtrace
(http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/dtrace/) gives Solaris a Edge.

Note that all of the above technologies have equal sisters in the OSS
world, but I suspect that one of the things that makes the enterprise
(and partly myself) fell in love with Solaris is that these products
comes in one neatly installable and maintainable package.

But as I said if you know what you are doing then it is a no brainer
to get the OOS equalities to do the same stuff in Debian - that is why
I have 30+ Linux servers running Debian Sarge and I have no plans to
change OS on them

Regards.

Lars Roland

Re: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

john levin-2
Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:

> On 11/4/05, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 11:19 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>Did you check the sun.com website which claims that Solaris 10 is the
>>>most advanced OS on the planet? Could anyone tell me what grounds is
>>>the claim based upon. I was surprised to see that claim and has anyone
>>
>>Surprised?  That someone claims that their product is the greatest?
>>
>>That's very naive.
>>

>>>out there used it to testify on its truthfullness?
>>
>>Why ask us?  Have you Googled?
>

> Sorry... I just wanted to get some somments.

There's an Ubuntu mailing list especially for community chit chat, OT
questions and whatever takes your fancy:

HTH

John

Re: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

bassix
On 11/4/05, Paul Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > Did you check the sun.com website which claims that Solaris 10 is the
> > most advanced OS on the planet? Could anyone tell me what grounds is
> > the claim based upon.
>
> Pretty much nothing.

I have always had a great degree of respect for Sun... on par with
IBM. Of course IBM used to have OS/2... which at the time I thought
was better than windows. From the features mentioned on their site, I
think Sun is pretty justified in their "claim"... as "Operating
System", which has nothing to do with "Desktop Environment". From a
computer science point of view, it sounds very interesting. But for
95% of computer users may not offer anything we would think of as
"cool". :-)

--
Ubuntu :: Linux for Human Beings :: ubuntulinux.org

Re: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

Yuriy Kuznetsov
On 11/4/05, Lars Roland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/4/05, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Did you check the sun.com website which claims that Solaris 10 is the
> > most advanced OS on the planet? Could anyone tell me what grounds is
> > the claim based upon. I was surprised to see that claim and has anyone
> > out there used it to testify on its truthfullness? Are there many such
> > claims? Thanks...
>
> Well I am not a Solaris fan boy but I have worked with Unix for 10+
> years (Solaris, AIX, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Tru64 Unix and Linux) and there
> is no doubt that Solaris is one of the better ones. It is very tightly
> crafted (i.e. a limited choice of software that does what it is
> supposed to do), very secure and just plain works.
>
> I personally would still any day use Debian on a Server (except for
> Woody, Debian has a very good track record in the server field) and
> Gentoo on my development laptop/workstation. But there should be no
> doubt that technologies like zFS
> (http://www.sun.com/2004-0914/feature/),  Zones
> (http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/zones/) and dtrace
> (http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/dtrace/) gives Solaris a Edge.
>
> Note that all of the above technologies have equal sisters in the OSS
> world, but I suspect that one of the things that makes the enterprise
> (and partly myself) fell in love with Solaris is that these products
> comes in one neatly installable and maintainable package.
>
> But as I said if you know what you are doing then it is a no brainer
> to get the OOS equalities to do the same stuff in Debian - that is why
> I have 30+ Linux servers running Debian Sarge and I have no plans to
> change OS on them
>

> Regards.
>
> Lars Roland

I do agree with Lars regarding Solaris being on edge of advanced
technologies. Besides S10 now open sourced(visit www.opensolaris.org,
download and try yourself, also plenty of blogs by different
categories) to community and Sun is planning to work very close with
community developing future releases of Solaris.
I'm not here to say anything against Debian but it's very difficult to
say which one is the best unless you give it a try...

Cheers,
Yuriy

Re: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

Derek Broughton-2
David Strauss wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 11:19 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Did you check the sun.com website which claims that Solaris 10 is the
>> most advanced OS on the planet? Could anyone tell me what grounds is
>> the claim based upon. I was surprised to see that claim and has anyone
>> out there used it to testify on its truthfullness? Are there many such
>> claims? Thanks...
>>

> Solaris has many enterprise-grade features that Linux and other UNIX or
> UNIX-like OSes still lack. One that immediately comes to mind is the
> ability to pause and encapsulate a process, move it to a different
> computer, then continue running it. That's useful for load-balancing and
> managing server cluster hardware and software.

That's hardly unique.  Not enough, in itself, to make it the "Most Advanced
OS".

> There are plenty of documents online that document other unique features
> of Solaris. You'll find that Sun's claim isn't completely unfounded.

I'm not convinced - but "one of the Most Advanced..."?  I could live with
that :-)
--
derek

RE: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

James Fogg
> mentioned on their site, I think Sun is pretty justified in
> their "claim"... as "Operating System", which has nothing to
> do with "Desktop Environment". From a computer science point

I thought with Sol10, the desktop was Gnome.

On 11/4/05, James Fogg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > mentioned on their site, I think Sun is pretty justified in
> > their "claim"... as "Operating System", which has nothing to
> > do with "Desktop Environment". From a computer science point
>
> I thought with Sol10, the desktop was Gnome.

What I meant is that it is the underpinnings of their OS that they are
saying is advanced, and sets them apart.

On 11/4/05, Derek Broughton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not convinced - but "one of the Most Advanced..."?  I could live with
> that :-)
> --
> derek

It's just another marketing slogan... certainly not the first time
something has been marketed as "the best". :-)

I wish all marketing would go away. Just let people see the facts and
raw data. We'd all get a lot smarter real quick (and that's what
scares advertisers).

--
Ubuntu :: Linux for Human Beings :: ubuntulinux.org

Re: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

Frank McCormick
On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 10:35:36 -0500
Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/4/05, Derek Broughton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not convinced - but "one of the Most Advanced..."?  I could live with
> > that :-)
>
> It's just another marketing slogan... certainly not the first time
> something has been marketed as "the best". :-)
>

> --
> Ubuntu :: Linux for Human Beings :: ubuntulinux.org

That's pretty funny....considering the sig in your message .

RE: Solaris: The Most Advanced OS?

Will H. Backman

Advanced implies being closer to some destination.  I don't know if
everyone agrees on what that destination is.  Features or complexity is
not a sign of being advanced.

If your goal is video editing, Solaris is not as advanced as other
operating systems.

Solaris is great at what it is designed for, and Sun's moves toward open
source should be embraced.