Solutions for Gizmo - the Skype-alternative.

Solutions for Gizmo - the Skype-alternative.

Phillip Sc. Boegh
Hi Ubuntu-users

I got a long mail, which can be cooked together to HOW-TO get libdns_sd.so
installed on an Ubuntu distribution????

Background -
I like to widespread the Gizmoproject to our members as it is GPL and
open-source AND possible to call to, but I need to get a well-working
installation-procedure. And I yet got 1-2 problems left:

1. Gizmoproject depends on libsipphoneapi
2. Libsipphoneapi is not in the repositories but can be found
downloadable. 3. Gizmo-project installed but still depends on libdns_sd.so
4. Audiowrapper is not in the repositories even a .jar version is
available.

1. Gizmoproject depends on libsipphoneapi (later on libdns_sd.so). $ sudo
dpkg -i /home/phillipny/Desktop/gizmo-project_0.8.0.12- 1_i386.deb
Password:
Unpack gizmo-project (fra .../gizmo-project_0.8.0.12-1_i386.deb)... dpkg:
dependency problems with Libsipphoneapi

2. Libsipphoneapi is not in the repositories but I recommend that you
write that is needed for Debian and CAN be downloaded as:
libsipphoneapi_0.78.20051020-1_i386.deb
from your: http://gizmoproject.com/jasmine/
                  After installing this problem occur:
3. Gizmo-project installed but still depends on libdns_sd.so
$ sudo dpkg -i /home/phillipny/Desktop/gizmo-project_0.8.0.12-1_i386.deb
... Unpack the gizmo-project (fra
.../gizmo-project_0.8.0.12-1_i386.deb)... Set up the gizmo-project
(0.8.0.12-1) op...
phillipny@ubuntu:~$ gizmo
gizmo: error while loading shared libraries: libdns_sd.so: cannot open
Gizmo-project still depends on libdns_sd.so that is unreachable from Houl,
Apple or .. All closed projects or exist as mDNSResponder, that may not be
directly usefull as gizmo may not recognize it.
(http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/bonjour/index.html).
that may be solved as the avahi/flexmdns in:
http://lists.porchdogsoft.com/pipermail/howl-users/Week-of-Mon-20050411.txt

4. No dependency of audiowrapper is reported and audiowrapper is not in
the repositories even a .jar version is available to download.
For a bug-report the Gizmo-project recommend us to get output from:
audiowrapper --oss-native gizmo
, which is therefore not possible.
No installation documentation is available to get Audiowrapper running.

Any help will be most wellcome!!

Phillip B?gh

Re: Solutions for Gizmo - the Skype-alternative.

John Ruschmeyer
Phillip Sc. Boegh wrote:

>Hi Ubuntu-users
>
>I got a long mail, which can be cooked together to HOW-TO get libdns_sd.so
>installed on an Ubuntu distribution????
>

>3. Gizmo-project installed but still depends on libdns_sd.so
>$ sudo dpkg -i /home/phillipny/Desktop/gizmo-project_0.8.0.12-1_i386.deb
>... Unpack the gizmo-project (fra
>.../gizmo-project_0.8.0.12-1_i386.deb)... Set up the gizmo-project
>(0.8.0.12-1) op...
>phillipny@ubuntu:~$ gizmo
>gizmo: error while loading shared libraries: libdns_sd.so: cannot open
>shared object file: No such file or directory
>Gizmo-project still depends on libdns_sd.so that is unreachable from Houl,
>Apple or .. All closed projects or exist as mDNSResponder, that may not be
>directly usefull as gizmo may not recognize it.
>(http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/bonjour/index.html).
>that may be solved as the avahi/flexmdns in:
>http://lists.porchdogsoft.com/pipermail/howl-users/Week-of-Mon-20050411.txt

I'm confused... on Gizmoproject.com is a link for a 'bonjour' .deb
package which is Apple's mDNSResponder code compiled for Debian. (IIRC,
it's under a BSD or similar license.)

It installs fine under Ubuntu, even builds fine if you can find the
sources on Linspire's site. (I did it a while back under Hoary.)

So what's the issue?

<<<john>>>

Re: Solutions for Gizmo - the Skype-alternative.

Phillip Sc. Boegh
> Phillip Sc. Boegh wrote:

>>directly usefull as gizmo may not recognize it.
>>(http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/bonjour/index.html).
>>that may be solved as the avahi/flexmdns in:
>>http://lists.porchdogsoft.com/pipermail/howl-users/Week-of-Mon-20050411.txt
>>

> I'm confused... on Gizmoproject.com is a link for a 'bonjour' .deb
> package which is Apple's mDNSResponder code compiled for Debian. (IIRC,
> it's under a BSD or similar license.)
>
> It installs fine under Ubuntu, even builds fine if you can find the
> sources on Linspire's site. (I did it a while back under Hoary.)
>
> So what's the issue?
If I install bonjour and afterwards Gizmoproject...deb I get:
~$ sudo dpkg -i /home/phillipny/Desktop/gizmo-project_0.8.0.12-1_i386.deb
Unpack the gizmo-project (from .../gizmo-project_0.8.0.12-1_i386.deb)...
Setting up (0.8.0.12-1) up...

....$ gizmo
Debug: gizmo_prefs_init
Debug: gizmo_core_init
Debug: gizmo_gtk_stock_init: Loading 84 images
Lagersegmentfejl (means storesegmenterror I think)
....$

(This error I get from most applications I install from dpkg -i
programpackage.deb
??

So I try to avoid dpkg -i ....

Regards

Phillip

Phillip Sc. Boegh wrote:

> If I install bonjour and afterwards Gizmoproject...deb I get:
>
>~$ sudo dpkg -i /home/phillipny/Desktop/gizmo-project_0.8.0.12-1_i386.deb
>Unpack the gizmo-project (from .../gizmo-project_0.8.0.12-1_i386.deb)...
>Setting up (0.8.0.12-1) up...
>
>....$ gizmo
>Debug: gizmo_prefs_init
>Debug: gizmo_core_init
>Debug: gizmo_gtk_stock_init: Loading 84 images
>Lagersegmentfejl (means storesegmenterror I think)
>....$
>

>(This error I get from most applications I install from dpkg -i
>programpackage.deb
>??
>
>So I try to avoid dpkg -i ....

Well, the sources for the bonjour package can be found at:

http://software.linspire.com/pool-src/b/bonjour/bonjour_107.1-0.0.0.50.linspire1.1.tar.gz

You should be able to untar the archive, cd to the resulting directory
and run 'dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc' to build a package for your system.

<<<john>>>

Re: Solutions for Gizmo - the Skype-alt..var. StoreSegmentError

Phillip Sc. Boegh
> Phillip Sc. Boegh wrote:
>
>> If I install bonjour and afterwards Gizmoproject...deb I get:
>>
>>~$ sudo dpkg -i /home/phillipny/Desktop/gizmo-project_0.8.0.12-1_i386.deb
>>Unpack the gizmo-project (from .../gizmo-project_0.8.0.12-1_i386.deb)...
>>Setting up (0.8.0.12-1) up...
>>
>>....$ gizmo
>>Debug: gizmo_prefs_init
>>Debug: gizmo_core_init
>>Debug: gizmo_gtk_stock_init: Loading 84 images
>>Lagersegmentfejl (means storesegmenterror I think)
>>....$
>>

>>(This error I get from most applications I install from dpkg -i
>>programpackage.deb
>>??
>>
>>So I try to avoid dpkg -i ....
>>

> Well, the sources for the bonjour package can be found at:
>
> http://software.linspire.com/pool-src/b/bonjour/bonjour_107.1-0.0.0.50.linspire1.1.tar.gz
>
> You should be able to untar the archive, cd to the resulting directory
> and run 'dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc' to build a package for your system.

I have now tried that giving me the same error:
Lagersegmentfejl (means storesegmenterror I think) - and it is not about
bad RAM. What does store segment error means when it is not RAM or
harddisk-errors?

Best regards

Phillip

"Segmentation fault" - HowTo get rid of that?

Phillip Sc. Boegh
Hi Ubuntu's

I have a problem with many applications after even a succesfull
installation - I get a Segmentation fault - and it is not about bad RAM. I
know what "Segmentation fault" means
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmentation_fault) but Google gives me 1.7
mill. hits, so HowTo trace the problem and anyone succeeded to get rid of
this?

It occured after I have trying to .configure, make make install some
programs (MClight and others) before I saw the disaster?

Any ideas are wellcome!

Best regards

Phillip

e.g. my problem to get the Gizmoproject running

>>> If I install bonjour and afterwards Gizmoproject...deb I get:
>>>
>>>~$ sudo dpkg -i
>>> /home/phillipny/Desktop/gizmo-project_0.8.0.12-1_i386.deb
>>>Unpack the gizmo-project (from .../gizmo-project_0.8.0.12-1_i386.deb)...
>>>Setting up (0.8.0.12-1) up...
>>>
>>>....$ gizmo
>>>Debug: gizmo_prefs_init
>>>Debug: gizmo_core_init
>>>Debug: gizmo_gtk_stock_init: Loading 84 images
>>>Lagersegmentfejl (means Segmentation fault)
>>>....$
>>>

>>>(This error I get from most applications I install from dpkg -i
>>>programpackage.deb
>>>??
>>>
>>>So I try to avoid dpkg -i ....
>>>

>> Well, the sources for the bonjour package can be found at:
>>
>> http://software.linspire.com/pool-src/b/bonjour/bonjour_107.1-0.0.0.50.linspire1.1.tar.gz
>>
>> You should be able to untar the archive, cd to the resulting directory
>> and run 'dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc' to build a package for your system.
>
> I have now tried that giving me the same error:
> Lagersegmentfejl (means storesegmenterror I think) - and it is not about
> bad RAM. What does store segment error means when it is not RAM or
> harddisk-errors?
>
> Best regards
>
> Phillip

Re: "Segmentation fault" - HowTo get rid of that?

albi@scii.nl
On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 00:08:27 +0100 (CET)
"Phillip Sc. Boegh" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a problem with many applications after even a succesfull
> installation - I get a Segmentation fault - and it is not about bad
> RAM. I know what "Segmentation fault" means
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmentation_fault) but Google gives me
> 1.7 mill. hits, so HowTo trace the problem and anyone succeeded to
> get rid of this?
>
> It occured after I have trying to .configure, make make install some
> programs (MClight and others) before I saw the disaster?

so you've checked your RAM with memtest and your hdd with the tool
badblocks ? well, it's also possible that your CPU gets too warm

are you using plain hoary or breezy or ? and what mobo and CPU ?

--
grtjs, albi
gpg-key: lynx -dump http://scii.nl/~albi/gpg.asc | gpg --import

Re: "Segmentation fault" - HowTo get rid of that?

Lee Braiden-2
On Saturday 05 November 2005 23:08, Phillip Sc. Boegh wrote:

> I have a problem with many applications after even a succesfull
> installation - I get a Segmentation fault - and it is not about bad RAM. I
> know what "Segmentation fault" means
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmentation_fault) but Google gives me 1.7
> mill. hits, so HowTo trace the problem and anyone succeeded to get rid of
> this?
>
> It occured after I have trying to .configure, make make install some
> programs (MClight and others) before I saw the disaster?
>
> Any ideas are wellcome!

The Sig11 FAQ is the best resource I've seen on this:

http://www.tldp.org/FAQ/sig11/html/

I'm not sure if all of the tricks in there are up to date though.  For
example, memory management in Linux might have changed so that the dd trick
doesn't work any more.  It's worth going through it all step by step anyway.
You'll definitely be much better placed to diagnose the problem after, if it
doesn't enable you to find the issue directly.

Actually, this is worth reading over once whether you're actually experiencing
sig-11s right now or not :)

Hardware problems can be tiresome, so I hope you manage to resolve it quickly.
Good luck :)

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com

Re: "Segmentation fault" - HowTo get rid of that?

Phillip Sc. Boegh
> On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 00:08:27 +0100 (CET)
> "Phillip Sc. Boegh" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> I have a problem with many applications after even a succesfull
>> installation - I get a Segmentation fault - and it is not about bad
>> RAM. I know what "Segmentation fault" means
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmentation_fault) but Google gives me
>> 1.7 mill. hits, so HowTo trace the problem and anyone succeeded to
>> get rid of this?
>>
>> It occured after I have trying to .configure, make make install some
>> programs (MClight and others) before I saw the disaster?
>
> so you've checked your RAM with memtest and your hdd with the tool
> badblocks ? well,
yes.
>it's also possible that your CPU gets too warm
It has a BIG cooler - I have not overclocked.

> are you using plain hoary or breezy or ? and what mobo and CPU ?
Plain Breezy - and no problem before I did the .configure, make, make
install of some programs.

I think I may have made problems with these installations - somehow??

regards

Phillip

Re: "Segmentation fault" - HowTo get rid of that?

hometoast
phillip,
  what programs are reporting Seg Faults? and how often?  Do they appear to be random?

If there are only a few programs (those of which you compiled manually) and they fail consistantly in the same spot, its most likely the compile options (check to see what archtype or machtype is being used).  If its random, my money is on bad hardware.

Check

On 11/6/05, Phillip Sc. Boegh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 00:08:27 +0100 (CET)

> "Phillip Sc. Boegh" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> I have a problem with many applications after even a succesfull
>> installation - I get a Segmentation fault - and it is not about bad
>> RAM. I know what "Segmentation fault" means
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmentation_fault) but Google gives me
>> 1.7 mill. hits, so HowTo trace the problem and anyone succeeded to
>> get rid of this?
>>
>> It occured after I have trying to .configure, make make install some
>> programs (MClight and others) before I saw the disaster?
>
> so you've checked your RAM with memtest and your hdd with the tool
> badblocks ? well,
yes.