(Solved) Internet is dying

Volker Wysk
Hi

I've connected my desktop to the router with the new cable, for some
17 hours now. (Had to squeeze the cable....) The laptop isn't involved
now, and there habe been no occurrences in the output of ping at all.

I don't know, what had been wrong. Is it the cable? The cable only?
It seemed like the router was broken.

I'll leave it at that, although there are unanswered questions, and
contradictions.

Thank you, to Xen and Colin Law, amongst others, who helped me.

Bye
Volker

Re: (Solved) Internet is dying

Colin Law
On 27 October 2017 at 12:43, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've connected my desktop to the router with the new cable, for some
> 17 hours now. (Had to squeeze the cable....) The laptop isn't involved
> now, and there habe been no occurrences in the output of ping at all.
>
> I don't know, what had been wrong. Is it the cable? The cable only?
> It seemed like the router was broken.

Have you got any evidence at all that is incompatible with the problem
being caused by a faulty cable?  If it is that it is most likely an
intermittent joint in one of the connectors. I think I suggested that
as a good candidate right at the start. If you have no evidence to the
contrary and it continues to work then chuck out the old one and get
another new one as a spare so next time you get an intermittent fault
you can start by swapping the cables.

> I'll leave it at that, although there are unanswered questions, and
> contradictions.

Such as?

> Thank you, to Xen and Colin Law, amongst others, who helped me.

Glad to have helped, if indeed it turns out I have :)  There is still
time for it to fail again.

Colin

Xen

Re: (Solved) Internet is dying

Xen
Volker Wysk schreef op 27-10-2017 13:43:

> Hi
>
> I've connected my desktop to the router with the new cable, for some
> 17 hours now. (Had to squeeze the cable....) The laptop isn't involved
> now, and there habe been no occurrences in the output of ping at all.
>
> I don't know, what had been wrong. Is it the cable? The cable only?
> It seemed like the router was broken.
>
> I'll leave it at that, although there are unanswered questions, and
> contradictions.

Colin already answered the contradiction: one cable can effect the
switch to such an extent that other ports are also effected.

Glad it is resolved.

Regards.

Re: (Solved) Internet is dying

Colin Law
On 27 October 2017 at 13:35, Xen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Volker Wysk schreef op 27-10-2017 13:43:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I've connected my desktop to the router with the new cable, for some
>> 17 hours now. (Had to squeeze the cable....) The laptop isn't involved
>> now, and there habe been no occurrences in the output of ping at all.
>>
>> I don't know, what had been wrong. Is it the cable? The cable only?
>> It seemed like the router was broken.
>>
>> I'll leave it at that, although there are unanswered questions, and
>> contradictions.
>

> Colin already answered the contradiction: one cable can effect the switch to
> such an extent that other ports are also effected.

I think it equally likely that in unplugging one cable the router, or
the other cable, was moved slightly putting the original cable into a
position where the connection was less reliable.

Colin

Re: (Solved) Internet is dying

Volker Wysk
Am Freitag, 27. Oktober 2017, 13:28:02 CEST schrieb Colin Law:

> On 27 October 2017 at 12:43, Volker Wysk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I've connected my desktop to the router with the new cable, for some
> > 17 hours now. (Had to squeeze the cable....) The laptop isn't involved
> > now, and there habe been no occurrences in the output of ping at all.
> >
> > I don't know, what had been wrong. Is it the cable? The cable only?
> > It seemed like the router was broken.
>
> Have you got any evidence at all that is incompatible with the problem
> being caused by a faulty cable?

> If it is that it is most likely an
> intermittent joint in one of the connectors.

That could be. Now I've plugged in the cable in another socket at the
router, in the original socket again, to see if the problems come back.

> I think I suggested that
> as a good candidate right at the start. If you have no evidence to the
> contrary and it continues to work then chuck out the old one and get
> another new one as a spare so next time you get an intermittent fault
> you can start by swapping the cables.

I've already thrown away the old cable. Tomorrow I'll get a another new
one.

> > I'll leave it at that, although there are unanswered questions, and
> > contradictions.
>
> Such as?

I don't know. Its very confusing.  :(

> > Thank you, to Xen and Colin Law, amongst others, who helped me.
>
> Glad to have helped, if indeed it turns out I have :)  There is still
> time for it to fail again.

Speak of the devil and the devil shows up!  .. No, just kidding. It looks
good as for now.

Cheers
Volker