Sound control is gone, menus weird in 18.04.1

Sound control is gone, menus weird in 18.04.1

MR ZenWiz
I just took the plunge and installed Xubuntu 18.04.1 on my home
desktop and it's a little scary.

The most serious change I've noticed so far is that my sound control
is gone from the notification area and my sound all gets shunted
through the HDMI connection to my monitor instead of the speakers
plugged into my motherboard.  Also, there's no volume control in the
main menu (see below about the menus).

What happened?  This never was a problem on 16.04.

The sound control icon in the panel also disappeared, and I don't see
any way to get it back, maybe in part because of the following issue
with the system menu (the mouse icon on the panel).

Also, I used the same /home disk (not my boot disk - a new SSD) and
the menus (which were different when I first booted before I added my
/home back in as a mount point) reverted to the old 16.04 menus, but
lots of the pieces don't work.  Some of this is not too surprising,
but the 16.04 settings manager app is still there and it doesn't work
on some the Desktop settings at all (doesn't even come up on a desktop
right-click).

Is there a way to reset the settings manager to use the new system (I
actually prefer the app, but not if it doesn't work...).

On the plus side, it detected my printers and configured them for me
when I turned them on - a really nice improvement.

I want my volume control back,  And my desktop settings (that work).

Thanks.
MR

Re: Sound control is gone, menus weird in 18.04.1

MR ZenWiz
On Sun, Sep 2, 2018 at 3:56 PM, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just took the plunge and installed Xubuntu 18.04.1 on my home
> desktop and it's a little scary.
>
> The most serious change I've noticed so far is that my sound control
> is gone from the notification area and my sound all gets shunted
> through the HDMI connection to my monitor instead of the speakers
> plugged into my motherboard.  Also, there's no volume control in the
> main menu (see below about the menus).

Update:

The sound control (pavucontrol) is still accessible from the
Multimedia menu, but it doesn't respond to the keyboard as it used to
- I have a Dell keyboard with multimedia controls, and they're all
dead.

I suppose I took it for granted they'd continue to work, and nothing.

Disappointing....

On Sun, Sep 2, 2018 at 4:05 PM, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Update:
>
> The sound control (pavucontrol) is still accessible from the
> Multimedia menu, but it doesn't respond to the keyboard as it used to
> - I have a Dell keyboard with multimedia controls, and they're all
> dead.
>
> I suppose I took it for granted they'd continue to work, and nothing.
>
> Disappointing....

Second update:

I found /usr/bin/xfdesktop-settings, and those work.  I even get a
menu when I right-click the desktop.

Looks like I mainly need to know how to reset the mouse button
settings to point at the right apps.

And I still have no volume or sound control in the panel - pavucontrol
with a keyboard short-cut is handy, but it doesn't replace key-stroke
actions (volume up, down, pause, play, stop, etc.) or something that
shows me the volume in the panel (the old notificaiton icon that
worked in 16.04).

HTH.
.

Re: Sound control is gone, menus weird in 18.04.1

Liam Proven
On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 at 01:16, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Second update:
>
> I found /usr/bin/xfdesktop-settings, and those work.  I even get a
> menu when I right-click the desktop.
>
> Looks like I mainly need to know how to reset the mouse button
> settings to point at the right apps.
>
> And I still have no volume or sound control in the panel - pavucontrol
> with a keyboard short-cut is handy, but it doesn't replace key-stroke
> actions (volume up, down, pause, play, stop, etc.) or something that
> shows me the volume in the panel (the old notificaiton icon that
> worked in 16.04).

What desktop were you using before?

Sounds like you need to explore Xfce and find your way around, I'm
afraid. It's quite different from Unity or GNOME.

I have found that there are at least 2 different volume controls, and
when the right one is added to the panel, you still might have to tell
it what sound device it is to control.

There should be a sound setting somewhere to let you choose which
sound output you wish to use. Then, you can check that the volume
control you're using is pointing at the right sound device.

Once it is, you should be able to choose outputs etc. from it.

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 5:51 AM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What desktop were you using before?

XFCE4 - the standard that comes with Xubuntu.  I'm rather fond of it,
issues and all.

> Sounds like you need to explore Xfce and find your way around, I'm
> afraid. It's quite different from Unity or GNOME.

I've been using Xubuntu with XFCE4 since 2012.  I explore a lot, but I
don't know a lot as well.

> I have found that there are at least 2 different volume controls, and
> when the right one is added to the panel, you still might have to tell
> it what sound device it is to control.

I finally found it - it's the pulseaudio plugin.  With that added to
my panel, I also have full media key controls back.

Any advice on how to fix the apps menu format?  I tried everything I
could think of to no effect, and my Google searches are full of
information I don't need - so far.

I never give up.

Many thanks.

On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 at 22:35, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 5:51 AM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > What desktop were you using before?
> >
> XFCE4 - the standard that comes with Xubuntu.  I'm rather fond of it,
> issues and all.

Oh!

Well, there hasn't been a new version in a little while. Were you on
Xfce 4.10 before? I haven't used that much. I can barely see any
difference between it and the 4.12 I use at work.

> > Sounds like you need to explore Xfce and find your way around, I'm
> > afraid. It's quite different from Unity or GNOME.
> >
> I've been using Xubuntu with XFCE4 since 2012.  I explore a lot, but I
> don't know a lot as well.

I am sorry for my earlier comment. I did not mean to impugn.

> I finally found it - it's the pulseaudio plugin.  With that added to
> my panel, I also have full media key controls back.

Great!

> Any advice on how to fix the apps menu format?  I tried everything I
> could think of to no effect, and my Google searches are full of
> information I don't need - so far.

Can you explain what's wrong with it?

> I never give up.

Well, good!

> Many thanks.

You're very welcome and I apologise for assuming that you were coming
from a different desktop.