Quantcast

Sponsorship queue squashing party

Robie Basak-4
I propose to get some sponsors together on a nominated day with a goal of
getting the sponsorship queue down to zero (current count 62).

We could have sponsors on hand on IRC (#ubuntu-devel), together if possible
with SRU, archive admin and release team members available to close feedback
loops so we can get everything that is suitable landed appropriately.

Since it is after feature freeze, I propose that anything in the queue that is
ready for upload but not suitable at this point in the cycled be reviewed
regardless so that it is ready to go in as soon as Zesty+1 opens. If successful
we could do another day early next cycle.

I propose Wednesday 29 March, avoiding final beta freeze the week before, and
of course I volunteer my time as ~ubuntu-core-dev and ~ubuntu-sru.

Who else is available to help? If you'd like to help but cannot make 29
March, please let me know.

Details below (subject to discussion, change, consensus, etc).

Objective: sponsorship queue zero.

Key Indicator: count of items in the sponsorship queue.

Priorities:

 1. Make each upload in the queue not be blocked on a sponsor by either
    uploading or providing feedback and then removing the item from the
    queue.

 2. Have SRU team, release team and archive admin members on hand if
    possible so we can just get stuff done as needed. Their priorities
    would be to wear those hats first (as and when requested by other
    sponsors).

 3. If sponsors have time, then, where appropriate, fix up contributions
    and upload where possible.

Process:

Participating sponsors mark queue items as taken (perhaps copy queue to an
Etherpad at start, then mark there who owns what). Then the goal for
each participating sponsor would be:

 * Unsubscribe ~ubuntu-sponsors if no upload is pending.

 * Upload or fix up and upload if appropriate, then unsubscribe
   ~ubuntu-sponsors (or mark MP as done).

 * Comment if an upload is not appropriate, unsubscribe ~ubuntu-sponsors
   and ask for ~ubuntu-sponsors to be resubscribed when the sponsoree
   has responded and is again ready for upload. If an MP, then mark as
   Work In Progress and ask for status to be changed back when the
   sponsoree has responded and is again ready.

 * Where an upload needs to be deferred due
   to freeze, review anyway, provide feedback and if it is good then set
   it aside in an agreed place and commit to uploading it when Zesty+1
   opens.

Notes:

I would prefer to see items in the queue that are blocked on something
other than a sponsor be removed from the queue entirely. This will help
sponsors to dive in and be immediately useful, rather than wasting time
trawling through items and spending time to understand them before
discovering that nothing needs doing anyway.

Since the goal is to empty the sponsorship queue entirely, it should be
fine to remove items that are not ready from the queue. Contributors
won’t lose their places because if our goal is achieved then they will
be first in line when ready.

Re: Sponsorship queue squashing party

Jeremy Bicha-2
On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 1:47 PM, Robie Basak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Since it is after feature freeze, I propose that anything in the queue that is
> ready for upload but not suitable at this point in the cycled be reviewed
> regardless so that it is ready to go in as soon as Zesty+1 opens. If successful
> we could do another day early next cycle.

In other Ubuntu cycles, a new Ubuntu series would have been registered
on Launchpad by now. (For instance z-series, later zesty, was
registered 11 months ago). Could the 17.10 series be opened now so
that we can target bugs to the new series?

It's not a problem that the first letter of the next release hasn't
been announced yet, right?

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha

Re: Sponsorship queue squashing party

Steve Langasek-6
On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 02:02:28PM -0500, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 1:47 PM, Robie Basak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Since it is after feature freeze, I propose that anything in the queue that is
> > ready for upload but not suitable at this point in the cycled be reviewed
> > regardless so that it is ready to go in as soon as Zesty+1 opens. If successful
> > we could do another day early next cycle.

> In other Ubuntu cycles, a new Ubuntu series would have been registered
> on Launchpad by now. (For instance z-series, later zesty, was
> registered 11 months ago). Could the 17.10 series be opened now so
> that we can target bugs to the new series?

> It's not a problem that the first letter of the next release hasn't
> been announced yet, right?

Created:

  https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/aa-series

Ubuntu Developer                                    http://www.debian.org/

Re: Sponsorship queue squashing party

Michael Terry-5
I'd be happy to help.  I can do the 29th.

--
Steve Langasek                   Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer                   to set it on, and I can move the world.

-mt

Re: Sponsorship queue squashing party

Serge E. Hallyn
I'll try to join.

-serge

Quoting Michael Terry ([hidden email]):

> I'd be happy to help.  I can do the 29th.
>
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 3:07 PM, Steve Langasek <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 02:02:28PM -0500, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> > that is
> > reviewed
> > successful
> >
> > > In other Ubuntu cycles, a new Ubuntu series would have been registered
> > > on Launchpad by now. (For instance z-series, later zesty, was
> > > registered 11 months ago). Could the 17.10 series be opened now so
> > > that we can target bugs to the new series?
> >
> > > It's not a problem that the first letter of the next release hasn't
> > > been announced yet, right?
> >
> > Created:
> >
> >   https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/aa-series
> >
> > --
> > Steve Langasek                   Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
> > Debian Developer                   to set it on, and I can move the world.
> > Ubuntu Developer                                    http://www.debian.org/
> > [hidden email]                                     [hidden email]
> >
> > --

> -mt

Report: Sponsorship queue squashing party

Robie Basak-4
On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 06:47:14PM +0000, Robie Basak wrote:
> I propose to get some sponsors together on a nominated day with a goal of
> getting the sponsorship queue down to zero (current count 62).

Many thanks to the sponsors who joined us yesterday. We started the day
on 78 items. According to our status whiteboard pad, we cleared 36 items
from the queue. Today there are 42 items remaining. So we managed to
clear more than half of the queue.

According to our pad, the participants and the number of items they
worked on were: rbasak (22), mterry (11), nacc (9), seb128 (4), sil2100 (1),
and mdeslaur (1). Thank you very much for your participation and helping
us get the queue down!

I did cheat with my own figure: by going first I cleared the queue from
the top, and I suspect there were a greater proportion of these for
which no action was needed.

Given the progress made, I think that getting the queue down to zero and
kept down near zero is entirely achievable, and I propose doing this
kind of thing again regularly.

I count at least 23 items that we cleared from the queue that did not
result in a upload (for various reasons). That's more than half of what
we cleared that didn't actually need an uploader. I think this is
interesting because it means prospective uploaders who are most of the
way to getting upload access should be able to help with the sponsorship
queue too. If this describes you, then please consider it next time!

I was quite ruthless in removing items from the queue, and in my
opinion this is the right approach to take. Otherwise the queue gets so
cluttered with items that need no action right now that sponsors waste
precious time unable to find something useful to do while patch
piloting.

Re: Report: Sponsorship queue squashing party

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
On 2017-03-30 13:53, Robie Basak wrote:
> Many thanks to the sponsors who joined us yesterday. We started the
> day on 78 items. According to our status whiteboard pad, we cleared
> 36 items from the queue. Today there are 42 items remaining. So we
> managed to clear more than half of the queue.
>
> According to our pad, the participants and the number of items they
> worked on were: rbasak (22), mterry (11), nacc (9), seb128 (4),
> sil2100 (1), and mdeslaur (1). Thank you very much for your
> participation and helping us get the queue down!

As a contributor with limited upload right, I do appreciate this
initiative. Thanks, Robie, and thanks to others who helped.

> Given the progress made, I think that getting the queue down to zero
> and kept down near zero is entirely achievable, and I propose doing
> this kind of thing again regularly.

Yeah, a queue around 10 items rather than 70-90 would be an important
motivational factor for us who need sponsored uploads once in a while.
It would allow for a sponsor's review in due time provided that some
sponsors assign for piloting shifts often enough.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj