Status of Ubuntu Touch packages removal

Dmitry Shachnev-2
Hi all!

Is it planned to remove Unity 8 and related packages (such as apps) from
Artful, or the plan is to keep them in universe for some more time?

We are currently working on updating Qt to 5.9 LTS, and two major things that
concern us are:

* ubuntu-ui-toolkit;
* qtubuntu (the Qt MIR binding).

Both of these packages are broken with Qt 5.9, and because they extensively
use Qt private API, fixing them may be not easy.

ubuntu-ui-toolkit is even in main because it is used by checkbox-converged.

It would be really nice to get *at least* qtubuntu removed, if nobody is going
to work on it. For ubuntu-ui-toolkit I guess the first step would be demoting
it to universe by removing checkbox-converged from desktop (or porting it to
some other toolkit like Qt Quick Controls 2).

One more thing that concerns us is Oxide, but as I understand it is already
getting removed as part of LP: #1688395.

Any thoughts / comments / objections?

--
Dmitry Shachnev

Re: Status of Ubuntu Touch packages removal

Jeremy Bicha-2
On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 7:46 AM, Dmitry Shachnev <[hidden email]> wrote:
> One more thing that concerns us is Oxide, but as I understand it is already
> getting removed as part of LP: #1688395.

Related to both Unity8 and Oxide removal is Ubuntu Online Accounts
removal: https://launchpad.net/bugs/1695928

Also see
https://code.launchpad.net/~xnox/ubuntu-seeds/unity8-removals/+merge/323615

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha

Re: Status of Ubuntu Touch packages removal

Didier Roche-3
Le 27/06/2017 à 13:46, Dmitry Shachnev a écrit :
[...]

Hey,

We have a task I added to do an iso cleanswap, and looking at content like this[1]. I agree that we should remove ubuntu-ui-toolkit. It seems that checkbox-converged could be either removed from the desktop seed or ported as you told.
This isn't my next task I have in mind, but should be doable in the next couple of weeks (doing the whole desktop iso analysis).

Didier

[1] https://trello.com/c/4MzTEU2d/160-do-an-iso-cleanswap
--
Dmitry Shachnev

Re: Status of Ubuntu Touch packages removal

Dmitry Shachnev-2
Thank you Jeremy and Didier for your responses!

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 08:03:40AM -0400, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> Also see
> https://code.launchpad.net/~xnox/ubuntu-seeds/unity8-removals/+merge/323615

This list makes sense to me. Thanks for including the qt*-gles packages,
I was planning to take care of their removal too.

--
Dmitry Shachnev

Re: Status of Ubuntu Touch packages removal

Dmitry Shachnev-2
On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 08:03:40AM -0400, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> Also see
> https://code.launchpad.net/~xnox/ubuntu-seeds/unity8-removals/+merge/323615

As suggested by Michał Sawicz in that merge proposal, I tried to build qtbase
with mirclient support.

There is one problem with that: a circular dependency between qtbase and
content-hub. I added libcontent-hub-dev to build-dependencies and that pulls
in Qt packages. Does anyone know what was the plan to resolve this?

On Sun, Jul 02, 2017 at 08:17:21PM +0300, Dmitry Shachnev wrote:
> As suggested by Michał Sawicz in that merge proposal, I tried to build qtbase
> with mirclient support.
>
> There is one problem with that: a circular dependency between qtbase and
> content-hub. I added libcontent-hub-dev to build-dependencies and that pulls
> in Qt packages. Does anyone know what was the plan to resolve this?

This is now less important, as I managed to update qtubuntu for 5.9 [1].

Now the largest remaining blocker for Qt 5.9 is ubuntu-ui-toolkit.
I took a look at it today. Some of the issues were easy to fix (such as
QtPlatformSupport restructuring or QFlags API changes), but there are some
that would need rewriting a lot of code. For instance, QQmlCompiledData was
removed in Qt 5.8, and ubuntu-ui-toolkit uses it.

It looks like nobody works on ubuntu-ui-toolkit anymore, so removing
it is the only way to move forward.

I know it has been demoted to Universe (thanks Didier), but are there
any blockers for removing it completely?

[1]: https://code.launchpad.net/~mitya57/qtubuntu/qt5.9/+merge/326988

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Dmitry Shachnev <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 02, 2017 at 08:17:21PM +0300, Dmitry Shachnev wrote:
> It looks like nobody works on ubuntu-ui-toolkit anymore, so removing
> it is the only way to move forward.
>
> I know it has been demoted to Universe (thanks Didier), but are there
> any blockers for removing it completely?

Run these 2 commands:

reverse-depends src:ubuntu-ui-toolkit
reverse-depends -b src:ubuntu-ui-toolkit

Based on a quick look at the output, it looks like it's basically
Unity 8 and the checkbox app.

I think it's generally accepted that Unity8 will be removed from
artful soon. But I'm not sure what's going on with checkbox. Maybe the
Qt version used before the conversion to QML can be revived?

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha