Stupid Newbie Disaster

John W. Redelfs
I didn't realize that I must still be a newbie until last night when I totally screwed up.  I was trying to install nVidia drivers for my dual boot system, when my machine seemed to hang during the shutdown of X-windows.  Instead of waiting a bit longer, like an idiot I did a Clt-Alt-Delete, and that started a warm reboot.  But now my X-windows seems to be damaged, and I can't get back onto Breezy Badger's desktop.  Working from the command line outside of X-windows, nothing works to get X-windows running again.  As a last resort, I tried using my new Breezy Badger install disc made from the ISO I downloaded a few nights ago with the intentions of doing a reinstall and starting all over again.  But the install won't boot from the CD anymore, and I keep getting grub back in my face instead of the install program.  Now what in tarnation should I do?  I suppose I could apt-get a new X-windows if I wasn't so ignorant about apt-get and the Debian stuff.  But I don't even know how to do that.  What is wrong with my Breezy Badger install disk?  I know my BIOS is set up to boot first from the CD-ROM, secondly from my floppy drive, and only last of all from the hard drive which is where my grub is set up in the Master Boot Record.  I had an easier time installing my first Red Hat installation back in 1995 when I had to set up my partitions using fdisk without a partitioning program.  Ubuntu is proving to be a much bigger problem to set up than I imagined it would be.  The Live CD worked so nicely.  It seems to me that there needs to be a lot of work done on making video drivers install more easily with the initial installation or at least afterwards.  I never had any of these problems setting up my new Windows XP with the appropriate nVidia drivers.

Sorry for the blast.  I'm just frustrated and feeling stupid.  Back to the newbie forum I guess.

--
Your friend and brother,
John W. Redelfs, [hidden email]

Re: Stupid Newbie Disaster

Thomas Kaiser (ubuntu)
Hello John

John W Redelfs wrote:
> I didn't realize that I must still be a newbie until last night when I
> totally screwed up.  I was trying to install nVidia drivers for my dual
> boot system, when my machine seemed to hang during the shutdown of
> X-windows.  Instead of waiting a bit longer, like an idiot I did a
> Clt-Alt-Delete, and that started a warm reboot.  But now my X-windows
> seems to be damaged, and I can't get back onto Breezy Badger's desktop.
Some more info on this would be helpful. How did you try to install your
nVidia driver. And is it the official nVidia driver from nVidia? I had
never problems with it, I just have to reinstall it after a kernel
update (or I tried my self compiled kernel :-) )
> Working from the command line outside of X-windows, nothing works to get
> X-windows running again.  As a last resort, I tried using my new Breezy
> Badger install disc made from the ISO I downloaded a few nights ago with
> the intentions of doing a reinstall and starting all over again.  But
> the install won't boot from the CD anymore, and I keep getting grub back
> in my face instead of the install program.
This sounds like a bad cd. If your BIOS is setup to boot from CD at the
first place, it will do it when it can read the media.

> Now what in tarnation should
> I do?  I suppose I could apt-get a new X-windows if I wasn't so ignorant
> about apt-get and the Debian stuff.  But I don't even know how to do
> that.  What is wrong with my Breezy Badger install disk?  I know my BIOS
> is set up to boot first from the CD-ROM, secondly from my floppy drive,
> and only last of all from the hard drive which is where my grub is set
> up in the Master Boot Record.
See my quote above.

> I had an easier time installing my first
> Red Hat installation back in 1995 when I had to set up my partitions
> using fdisk without a partitioning program.
So, you should be used to the command line :-)

> Ubuntu is proving to be a
> much bigger problem to set up than I imagined it would be.
Is it Ubunutu or you ?

> The Live CD
> worked so nicely.  It seems to me that there needs to be a lot of work
> done on making video drivers install more easily with the initial
> installation or at least afterwards.  I never had any of these problems
> setting up my new Windows XP with the appropriate nVidia drivers.
>
> Sorry for the blast.  I'm just frustrated and feeling stupid.  Back to
> the newbie forum I guess.
There is the big problem that most of the hardware manufacture don't
support Linux and most of the good Linux driver are done with
reengineering, which is a very hard job (thanks to all out there writing
Linux drivers). BTW. I was working on a webcam these days, almost no
information from the manufacturer (Pixart), but now we got it working ->
reengineering the windows driver).

So, now back to your problem. What happens if you start (boot) your PC.
Does it try to start X and tell you after that it can't do it and your
are back in the command line?

If so, You just have the wrong nVidia driver for your kernel. I had this
several times in the past, because I did some stupied things :-)

Regards, Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li

Re: Stupid Newbie Disaster

Tony-35

"John W Redelfs" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
[...]

---------------

Not sure if it will help you but I screwed up my Gnome but got it working
again by using sudo apt-get gnome-core

Re: Stupid Newbie Disaster

Chris Woods-3
Hi John,

I understand your frustration and sympathize 100%. I've been using linux
as my main desktop OS since 1993, and every time I'm forced to use
Windows, I end up equally as agitated. I'm stuck in Windows for now, in
fact... hardware that Ubuntu doesn't see, I think, haven't tried sorting
it yet, but my patience grows thin by the hour. I must say I think
you're being entirely too hard on yourself. The onus of providing usable
computing environments is on the information industry. A long rant for
another time and another place...

Are you able to boot the machine to a command line? If so, do that, and
let's see about getting your video drivers working. (I haven't used
ubuntu on a machine with nvidia hardware yet, but I will soon, and I had
nvidia drivers working great in gentoo)

Hang in there!

--
 Chris Woods           AIM gnarrlybob
 [hidden email]    ICQ 21740987

Re: Stupid Newbie Disaster

John W. Redelfs
On 11/18/05, Thomas Kaiser (ubuntu) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello John

John W Redelfs wrote:
> I didn't realize that I must still be a newbie until last night when I
> totally screwed up.  I was trying to install nVidia drivers for my dual
> boot system, when my machine seemed to hang during the shutdown of
> X-windows.  Instead of waiting a bit longer, like an idiot I did a
> Clt-Alt-Delete, and that started a warm reboot.  But now my X-windows
> seems to be damaged, and I can't get back onto Breezy Badger's desktop.
Some more info on this would be helpful. How did you try to install your
nVidia driver. And is it the official nVidia driver from nVidia? I had
never problems with it, I just have to reinstall it after a kernel
update (or I tried my self compiled kernel :-) )
> Working from the command line outside of X-windows, nothing works to get
> X-windows running again.  As a last resort, I tried using my new Breezy
> Badger install disc made from the ISO I downloaded a few nights ago with
> the intentions of doing a reinstall and starting all over again.  But
> the install won't boot from the CD anymore, and I keep getting grub back
> in my face instead of the install program.
This sounds like a bad cd. If your BIOS is setup to boot from CD at the
first place, it will do it when it can read the media.

> Now what in tarnation should
> I do?  I suppose I could apt-get a new X-windows if I wasn't so ignorant
> about apt-get and the Debian stuff.  But I don't even know how to do
> that.  What is wrong with my Breezy Badger install disk?  I know my BIOS
> is set up to boot first from the CD-ROM, secondly from my floppy drive,
> and only last of all from the hard drive which is where my grub is set
> up in the Master Boot Record.
See my quote above.

> I had an easier time installing my first
> Red Hat installation back in 1995 when I had to set up my partitions
> using fdisk without a partitioning program.
So, you should be used to the command line :-)

> Ubuntu is proving to be a
> much bigger problem to set up than I imagined it would be.
Is it Ubunutu or you ?

> The Live CD
> worked so nicely.  It seems to me that there needs to be a lot of work
> done on making video drivers install more easily with the initial
> installation or at least afterwards.  I never had any of these problems
> setting up my new Windows XP with the appropriate nVidia drivers.
>
> Sorry for the blast.  I'm just frustrated and feeling stupid.  Back to
> the newbie forum I guess.
There is the big problem that most of the hardware manufacture don't
support Linux and most of the good Linux driver are done with
reengineering, which is a very hard job (thanks to all out there writing
Linux drivers). BTW. I was working on a webcam these days, almost no
information from the manufacturer (Pixart), but now we got it working ->
reengineering the windows driver).

So, now back to your problem. What happens if you start (boot) your PC.
Does it try to start X and tell you after that it can't do it and your
are back in the command line?

Yeah, that is what is happening.

If so, You just have the wrong nVidia driver for your kernel. I had this
several times in the past, because I did some stupied things :-)

So if I rm the nVidia stuff, I'll be able to boot back into X-windows? Where do I find the nVidia stuff to remove it?  Maybe I can find it with grep or find or something.  Does the shell default with that stuff in the path?  I'll give it a try and see what happens.  I hope I don't dig myself in deeper. --JWR

Re: Stupid Newbie Disaster

John W. Redelfs
On 11/18/05, Chris Woods <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi John,

I understand your frustration and sympathize 100%. I've been using linux
as my main desktop OS since 1993, and every time I'm forced to use
Windows, I end up equally as agitated. I'm stuck in Windows for now, in
fact... hardware that Ubuntu doesn't see, I think, haven't tried sorting
it yet, but my patience grows thin by the hour. I must say I think
you're being entirely too hard on yourself. The onus of providing usable
computing environments is on the information industry. A long rant for
another time and another place...

Are you able to boot the machine to a command line? If so, do that, and
let's see about getting your video drivers working. (I haven't used
ubuntu on a machine with nvidia hardware yet, but I will soon, and I had
nvidia drivers working great in gentoo)

Yeah, I can get a command line, but I've been away from Linux for over three years and I've forgotten so much I don't have a lot of self-confidence.  I'll probably just screw it up worse.  That is why I wanted to reinstall from my CD-ROM.  Maybe I can just burn another copy from my archived iso.  It is still on my XP setup.  I can't imagine why anything would be wrong with the CD-ROM that I used in the first place though.

Hang in there!

Appreciate the words of encouragement.  The little playing around with Linux and Unix I've done over the years, I have really loved it.  I just wish I could learn enough to get it to work. LOL.  I started messing around with the command line in the early 90's when I used an Atari ST as a T-100 terminal to access the VAX at the local college, and then used telnet to access a command line on a remote NeXT LAN.  I never got to like VMS, but I just loved the way the NeXT variety of Unix would always do what I told it as long as I told it in the right syntax.  Switching to Windows 95 in 1995 was a real let down.  But I had to do it because when the private ISPs started up locally, I lost my academic access because I was no longer a student, and the local college got much more picky about letting unaffiliated members of the local community use their network.

--
Your friend and brother,
John W. Redelfs, [hidden email]

Re: Stupid Newbie Disaster

Thomas Kaiser (ubuntu)
Hello John

John W Redelfs wrote:

>     So, now back to your problem. What happens if you start (boot) your PC.
>     Does it try to start X and tell you after that it can't do it and your
>     are back in the command line?
>

> Yeah, that is what is happening.
>
>     If so, You just have the wrong nVidia driver for your kernel. I had this
>     several times in the past, because I did some stupied things :-)
>

> So if I rm the nVidia stuff, I'll be able to boot back into X-windows?
> Where do I find the nVidia stuff to remove it?  Maybe I can find it with
> grep or find or something.  Does the shell default with that stuff in
> the path?  I'll give it a try and see what happens.  I hope I don't dig
> myself in deeper. --JWR

Please, tell me what you did to install the nVidia driver! And send a
copy of the xorg.conf file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf).

Regards, Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li

Re: Stupid Newbie Disaster

Yannick Le Saint (kyncani)
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 12:17:47 -0900
John W Redelfs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> But now my X-windows seems to be damaged, and I
> can't get back onto Breezy Badger's desktop. Working from the command line
> outside of X-windows, nothing works to get X-windows running again.

Login in console mode and type "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg".
This will reconfigure Xorg, you can choose vesa or nvidia drivers in
there.

---
Regards.

Yannick Le Saint (kyncani) <[hidden email]>
http://y.lesaint.free.fr/

Re: Stupid Newbie Disaster

Thomas Kaiser (ubuntu)
Hello

You are still john?
'Forum Post wrote:

>>Problem solved. Using the command line I disabled grub. Then my ISO
>>image of Breezy Badger was able to boot. Apparently it just needed more
>>time to start than my BIOS was giving it before booting grub. And then I
>>did a format and reinstalled Breezy Badger. Yeah, I know it was the
>>cowards way out, but it was a brand new install in the first place, so
>>I didn't really have anything to lose. So now I'm back to zero. And I
>>still have to figure out how to install my nVidia driver without
>>screwing up my system. I'm sure I'll eventually get it, but it
>>shouldn't be such a major project to install a graphics card driver.
>>Thanks for all the help. This forum is great.

If you like to install the nvidia driver do the following. But as far as
I know, there is somewhere already a Ubuntu package with the nvidia
driver. Maybe in "restricted"?

OK, first get the newest driver from nvidia.
Next, make sure you have the kernel-headers package installed and
everything you need for compiling (build-essential).
Exit the Xserver (X shall not run)
Run "NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-7667-pkg2.run" (in my case) and answer the
question. Somehow, this installer could not find the kernel-headers in
my case, so I had to add a parameter to tell. But I don't remember.
Anyway the installer will tell you what do do if it does not work.

This are only rough instructions, but I think you will figure it out. If
not, ask again and I will do this on my system again and write down all
the steps.

Hope this helps :-)

Ubuntu is not so bad, Thomas

--