Subject: Re: Kubuntu Council Elections 2018 - Call for Nominations

Darin Miller
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 13:24:48 +0100
From: Rik Mills <[hidden email]>
To: Kubuntu Developer Discussion <[hidden email]>,
        [hidden email], Kubuntu user technical support
        <[hidden email]>

I would like to remind anyone thinking of standing or nominating, that
nomination close at end of play tomorrow (Saturday 25th August).
We currently only have 2 nominations for the 3 spots, so please do not
delay.
Currently nominated are:
Valorie Zimmerman
Simon Quigley
I should also point out that Philip Muškovac has stated on our IRC
channel that he does not intend to stand this time, and as yet do not
know Myriam Schweingruber's intentions. So if you should be assuming
that incumbent members are likely to just be re-elected and so you are
not standing, I would suggest you may like to reconsider that.
As set out in my previous email, the time commitment is not large and
any member who feels they can make a difference and positive
contribution is more than welcome to stand.
Thank you
Rik Mills
Kubuntu Council
Kubuntu devel

On 18/08/18 10:23, Rik Mills wrote:
> [...]
> members and hope that Myriam Schweingruber, Philip Muškovac, Valorie
> Zimmerman will continue to serve until we have the names of the new
> Council members.
> I will update the Kubuntu Calendar to reflect these new dates.
> The term is for two years, spanning 2nd September 2018 to 2nd September
> 2020.
> As in the past, the election will be conducted using CIVS (Condorcet
> Internet Voting Service) - http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/civs.html and
> the top three ranking vote recipients will be elected.
> Schedule:
> Nomination period: Now to the 25th August 2018
> Ballot Preparation: 25th August to the next day
> Voting Period: 25th August 1st September
> End Poll/Results Announced: 1st September
> New Term Begins: 2nd September 2018
> This schedule shortens all the timelines. Please nominate yourselves or
> others quickly, so we can get to voting quickly.
> The above deadlines may be subject to minor revision, and a follow up
> email will give details if this is so. However, nominations open NOW so
> please be as prompt as possible.
> Please mention what you would like to accomplish within the Kubuntu
> project (Why people should vote for you)
> Eligibility:
> are eligible to be nominated and to vote. If you have a public email
> address in Launchpad, you need take no further action to receive your
> voting ballot. If you do not have a public email address, please
> contact me off-list with the address you'd like your ballot sent to,
> otherwise you will be unable to vote.
> Nominations:
> All Kubuntu members are eligible. The Kubuntu Council is intended to
> represent all of the Kubuntu community. Applications from involved
> non-developers are encouraged. If you are nominating someone else,
> please confirm their willingness to serve before nominating them.
> Nominations should be done in public via either kubuntu-users or
> kubuntu-devel mailing lists. If there is some extraordinary reason that
> precludes that, contact me directly.
> Commitment:
> The Kubuntu Council is the leadership body of Kubuntu.  Members of the
> council are expected to be active in the Kubuntu community/project. It
> has three primary roles:
>  - Approve development plans for future Kubuntu releases
>  - Approve Kubuntu membership applications
>  - Resolve disputes within the Kubuntu project
> The time commitment is not large. Meetings are generally only once every
> several months and conducted via IRC. However, we do need the Kubuntu
> Council to lead the community, not sit back and only attend meetings.
> Questions:
> If there are questions, you can contact us via this mailing list or (if
> really necessary) via direct mail.  We can also be found on Freenode IRC
> in #kubuntu, #kubuntu-council or #kubuntu-devel
> Many thanks to all and please remember "time is of the essence".

Please add my name (darinmiller) to the list of nominees.

 o__
  >/
( )\( ) Darin | 208-991-4421

Re: Subject: Re: Kubuntu Council Elections 2018 - Call for Nominations

Rik Mills-2
On 25/08/18 15:48, Darin Miller wrote:

> Please add my name (darinmiller) to the list of nominees.
>
>  o__
>  _ _>/ _ _
> (_ _)\(_ _) Darin | 208-991-4421

Will do so. Thank you.

If you could give some thoughts to this for your nomination:

> Please mention what you would like to accomplish within the Kubuntu
> project (Why people should vote for you)

and reply again with that to the lists, that would help people when
considering their votes.

Rik

Re: Subject: Re: Kubuntu Council Elections 2018 - Call for Nominations

Darin Miller
Thoughts regarding Kubuntu:
  • IMHO, Kubuntu continues to be the "best all around" desktop for new users given its Debian base, PPA options, excellent packaging support and KDE DE.
  • For leading edge power users Kubuntu is still a great option but can be restricted by delayed Canonical package adoption. In recent years, those delays are typically small (1 to 2 month) windows.  With AMD driver, MESA options and KDE DE rapidly maturing, the impact of the small delays is tolerable when weighed against the minimal hassle of maintaining an advanced Kubuntu environment.

Items that I hope to accomplish as a council member:
  • Continue the trend of providing great 1st user experience in Kubuntu. This is accomplished via  Kubuntu default settings,  default package sets, and working with the KDE developers on issues and organization.
  • Provide feedback and assist with fixing paper-cuts such as WINE kicker menus failing to populate on install, useful installation banners, included desktop themes, etc.
  • Assist with enabling features for advanced users via back-ports.  Assist with determining when new "high demand" features will be available and giving feedback (website status page?) if delays are encountered.
  • Ensuring Kubuntu packages include necessary tools for fine tuning their environment; i.e. the new libinput 1.1 has command line option that are not yet supported via KDE Input devices dialogue but require additional packages to run.
Thanks for your consideration,

 o__
  >/
( )\( ) Darin | 208-991-4421