Success with Brother MFC-L2710DW 4 in 1

John R. Sowden
I just bought a Brother printer (good deal: Wireless, prints both sides,
separate drum/toner, feeds
envelopes, reasonable price (toner/drum/printer).  Before I bought it I
saw references to Linux
on the Brother site, but I didn't read them.  I have 13 days left in my
15 day return time at Staples.

Unfortunately I have not seen clear setup instructions and signs of
success.  I have downloaded
the Brother software, but installing it is not clear (lots of caveats).
Brother does not provide
phone support for Linux set-ups, per their site.

Anyone have any feedback?

John

Re: Success with Brother MFC-L2710DW 4 in 1

Ken D'Ambrosio
Gah.  You have my apologies -- I just installed a slightly different
model a couple weeks ago, and it works great, but *did* require some
tweaking on my part.
Here are the settings I've got that seem applicable:
URI: ipp://BRWFC017CABDEB9.local:631/ipp/print
Driver: definitely using the Brother driver

See if you can get it going; if you can't, feel free to ping me, and
I'll see if I can't do an install on another computer and get you more
detailed info.

-Ken

On 2019-01-23 14:23, John R. Sowden wrote:

> I just bought a Brother printer (good deal: Wireless, prints both
> sides, separate drum/toner, feeds
> envelopes, reasonable price (toner/drum/printer).  Before I bought it
> I saw references to Linux
> on the Brother site, but I didn't read them.  I have 13 days left in
> my 15 day return time at Staples.
>
> Unfortunately I have not seen clear setup instructions and signs of
> success.  I have downloaded
> the Brother software, but installing it is not clear (lots of
> caveats).  Brother does not provide
> phone support for Linux set-ups, per their site.
>
> Anyone have any feedback?
>
> John

Re: Success with Brother MFC-L2710DW 4 in 1

Brian-277
On Wed 23 Jan 2019 at 11:23:54 -0800, John R. Sowden wrote:

> I just bought a Brother printer (good deal: Wireless, prints both sides,
> separate drum/toner, feeds
> envelopes, reasonable price (toner/drum/printer).  Before I bought it I saw
> references to Linux
> on the Brother site, but I didn't read them.  I have 13 days left in my 15
> day return time at Staples.
>
> Unfortunately I have not seen clear setup instructions and signs of
> success.  I have downloaded
> the Brother software, but installing it is not clear (lots of caveats).
> Brother does not provide
> phone support for Linux set-ups, per their site.
>
> Anyone have any feedback?

What is your CUPS version?

--
Brian.

On Wed 23 Jan 2019 at 14:36:06 -0500, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:

> Gah.  You have my apologies -- I just installed a slightly different model a
> couple weeks ago, and it works great, but *did* require some tweaking on my
> part.
> Here are the settings I've got that seem applicable:
> URI: ipp://BRWFC017CABDEB9.local:631/ipp/print
> Driver: definitely using the Brother driver
>
> See if you can get it going; if you can't, feel free to ping me, and I'll
> see if I can't do an install on another computer and get you more detailed
> info.

Why did you set it up like that? Any modern printer on the network is
automatically detected and set up by CUPS + cups-browsed on a recent
Ubuntu installation. No need to faff about with Brother's drivers.

--
Brian

On 2019-01-23 14:55, Brian wrote:

> On Wed 23 Jan 2019 at 14:36:06 -0500, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
>
>> Gah.  You have my apologies -- I just installed a slightly different
>> model a
>> couple weeks ago, and it works great, but *did* require some tweaking
>> on my
>> part.
>> Here are the settings I've got that seem applicable:
>> URI: ipp://BRWFC017CABDEB9.local:631/ipp/print
>> Driver: definitely using the Brother driver
>>
>> See if you can get it going; if you can't, feel free to ping me, and
>> I'll
>> see if I can't do an install on another computer and get you more
>> detailed
>> info.
>
> Why did you set it up like that? Any modern printer on the network is
> automatically detected and set up by CUPS + cups-browsed on a recent
> Ubuntu installation. No need to faff about with Brother's drivers.

Gosh.  First and foremost, as much as I love the CUPS-supplied drivers,
they don't always do everything I need.  But now you have me doubting
myself.  I'll have to try out the install myself and see what I did.

-Ken

On Wed 23 Jan 2019 at 15:00:52 -0500, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:

> On 2019-01-23 14:55, Brian wrote:
> > On Wed 23 Jan 2019 at 14:36:06 -0500, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> >
> > > Gah.  You have my apologies -- I just installed a slightly different
> > > model a
> > > couple weeks ago, and it works great, but *did* require some
> > > tweaking on my
> > > part.
> > > Here are the settings I've got that seem applicable:
> > > URI: ipp://BRWFC017CABDEB9.local:631/ipp/print
> > > Driver: definitely using the Brother driver
> > >
> > > See if you can get it going; if you can't, feel free to ping me, and
> > > I'll
> > > see if I can't do an install on another computer and get you more
> > > detailed
> > > info.
> >
> > Why did you set it up like that? Any modern printer on the network is
> > automatically detected and set up by CUPS + cups-browsed on a recent
> > Ubuntu installation. No need to faff about with Brother's drivers.
>
> Gosh.  First and foremost, as much as I love the CUPS-supplied drivers, they
> don't always do everything I need.  But now you have me doubting myself.
> I'll have to try out the install myself and see what I did.

There aren't any CUPS-supplied drivers, in fact, there are no drivers at
all. It just works.

(You would have to specify exactly what it is you need from the printing
system to advance a persuasive argument).

--
Brian.

Re: Success with Brother MFC-L2710DW 4 in 1

MR ZenWiz
On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 12:16 PM Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>:

> There aren't any CUPS-supplied drivers, in fact, there are no drivers at
> all. It just works.
>
> (You would have to specify exactly what it is you need from the printing
> system to advance a persuasive argument).

I don't know if this will help.

I've had a Brother HL-2240D for a couple of years now, and I thought I
had to go to the Brother site to grab the right .ppd file for it to
work with my system.

However, it's configured as:

Device URL: usb://Brother/HL-2240D%20series?serial=G1N406058
Make and Model: Brother HL-2240D Foomatic/hl1250

and the .ppd is /etc/cups/ppd/HL-2240D-series.ppd (yup, the cups driver).

Before that. I had another Brother laser printer that required a .ppd
file from Brother.

HTH.

Mark

Re: Success with Brother MFC-L2710DW 4 in 1

John R. Sowden
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Cups ver 1.5.1.1

John

On Wed 23 Jan 2019 at 12:44:04 -0800, MR ZenWiz wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 12:16 PM Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >:
>
> > There aren't any CUPS-supplied drivers, in fact, there are no drivers at
> > all. It just works.
> >
> > (You would have to specify exactly what it is you need from the printing
> > system to advance a persuasive argument).
> >
> I don't know if this will help.
>
> I've had a Brother HL-2240D for a couple of years now, and I thought I
> had to go to the Brother site to grab the right .ppd file for it to
> work with my system.
>
> However, it's configured as:
>
> Device URL: usb://Brother/HL-2240D%20series?serial=G1N406058
> Make and Model: Brother HL-2240D Foomatic/hl1250
>
> and the .ppd is /etc/cups/ppd/HL-2240D-series.ppd (yup, the cups driver).
>
> Before that. I had another Brother laser printer that required a .ppd

A stone-age printer.

--
Brian.

On Wed 23 Jan 2019 at 12:48:07 -0800, John R. Sowden wrote:

> Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Cups ver 1.5.1.1

Not exactly up-to-date! In fact, it is pre-historic. Are you wedded to
it? If not, update and get the benefits of a modern printing system.

--
Brian.

On Wed 23 Jan 2019 at 20:57:27 +0000, Brian wrote:

> On Wed 23 Jan 2019 at 12:48:07 -0800, John R. Sowden wrote:
>
> > Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Cups ver 1.5.1.1
>
> Not exactly up-to-date! In fact, it is pre-historic. Are you wedded to
> it? If not, update and get the benefits of a modern printing system.

Be that as it may, I'll not withhold the information you ask for. I
hope it helps.

1. Go to

    https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us_ot&lang=en&prod=mfcl2710dw_us_eu_as&os=128#SelectLanguageType-10283_0_1

2. Download the "LINUX printer driver".

3. Install the .deb with

    dpkg -i mfcl2710dwpdrv-4.0.0-1.i386.deb

> --
> Brian.

Re: Success with Brother MFC-L2710DW 4 in 1

George-2
Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Wed 23 Jan 2019 at 20:57:27 +0000, Brian wrote:
>
>> On Wed 23 Jan 2019 at 12:48:07 -0800, John R. Sowden wrote:
>>
>> > Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Cups ver 1.5.1.1
>>
>> Not exactly up-to-date! In fact, it is pre-historic. [...]

Definitely.  The current CUPS package is 2.2.7-1ubuntu2.3
(Lubuntu 18.04.1 LTS).

I can't speak for the scanner portion, but the CUPS ppds for the
Brother HL-2240 series (my HL-2270) have worked straight out of
the box since Lubuntu 16.04 LTS and probably earlier.

So, unless you have some very unusual requirements that the
/sane/ package can't handle, it's time to upgrade.

Re: Success with Brother MFC-L2710DW 4 in 1

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 23.01.2019, 19:55 +0000 schrieb Brian:

> On Wed 23 Jan 2019 at 14:36:06 -0500, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:

> > See if you can get it going; if you can't, feel free to ping me,
> > and I'll
> > see if I can't do an install on another computer and get you more
> > detailed
> > info.
> Why did you set it up like that? Any modern printer on the network is
> automatically detected and set up by CUPS + cups-browsed on a recent
> Ubuntu installation. No need to faff about with Brother's drivers.
i'll just leave that here for further reference (in case someone finds
this thread in the archive via google or some such ...)

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2016-December/039586.htm

ciao
        oli

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 12:53 PM Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
:

> A stone-age printer.

Not sure if you meant the 2240 or its predecessor, but, while true, a working printer is a-ok with me.  I only ditched the older one because the drum gave out and the two different new ones I tried were worse.  Had to chuck three perfectly good toner cartridges cuz no one would buy them.  I'm only on #2 with this printer and I also can't find the other three I thought I had, but as long as it works, it's cheaper than a new one.

Stones sometimes last a long time.  😁

Mark

On Thu 24 Jan 2019 at 12:01:58 -0800, MR ZenWiz wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 12:53 PM Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
> :
> >
> > A stone-age printer.
> >
> Not sure if you meant the 2240 or its predecessor, but, while true, a
> working printer is a-ok with me.  I only ditched the older one because the
> drum gave out and the two different new ones I tried were worse.  Had to
> chuck three perfectly good toner cartridges cuz no one would buy them.  I'm
> only on #2 with this printer and I also can't find the other three I
> thought I had, but as long as it works, it's cheaper than a new one.
>
> Stones sometimes last a long time.

I labelled the printer as such because, compared to the printers which
are available now, it has far few facilities to present to a user in
the context of a modern Linux distribution. That does not mean it cannot
continue do its job.

It was also a reaction to the responses to the OP's post, which straight
away leap into the "install the Brother drivers....." routine. Things
have changed considerably in the last few years. Drivers are not needed
for modern printers. In fact, CUPS will cease to support drivers a few
years from now.

--
Brian.

Re: Success with Brother MFC-L2710DW 4 in 1

Ian Bruntlett
Hi,

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 at 20:28, Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:
It was also a reaction to the responses to the OP's post, which straight
away leap into the "install the Brother drivers....." routine. Things
have changed considerably in the last few years. Drivers are not needed
for modern printers. In fact, CUPS will cease to support drivers a few
years from now.

Despite having a working HP LaserJet (with scanner) and using the hp-setup package, I am interested in learning this new (to me) way of handling printers. Mainly because I run a Computer Refurbishment Project where people donate old kit and I refurbish it and it gets given away to people with mental health problems, their carer's or families.

A friend, DD, wanted a computer. She provided me with an old printer she wanted it to work with and I had to use a really old lubuntu on it to get the printer to work. Complete nightmare.

So, in the future, if I need to get a printer working with a computer, do I just boot lubuntu / Ubuntu and then look at http://localhost:631 in a web browser?

Thanks,

Ian