Suddenly... No wifi!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suddenly... No wifi!

Thomas Tanghus
Hi,

I was just sitting here, doing my stuff, when suddenly I had no network. I checked
my other devices, and they could use the wifi just fine. The network widget (I'm
using Plasma) was disabled and wifi couldn't be enabled again. Maybe I had hid
some wifi kill-switch on the keyboard? It's a "new" laptop (new to me), so after
finding the manual and the kill-switch (Fn-F5) I tried it out while tailing journalctl:

Nov 15 19:09:06 tanghus-Lenovo systemd[1]: Starting Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status...
Nov 15 19:09:06 tanghus-Lenovo systemd[1]: Started Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status.
Nov 15 19:09:11 tanghus-Lenovo systemd[1]: systemd-rfkill.service: Succeeded.
Nov 15 19:09:11 tanghus-Lenovo NetworkManager[705]: <info>  [1573841351.9851] audit: op="statistics" arg="refresh-rate-ms" pid=1215 uid=1000 result="success"
Nov 15 19:09:19 tanghus-Lenovo NetworkManager[705]: <info>  [1573841359.1312] audit: op="statistics" arg="refresh-rate-ms" pid=1215 uid=1000 result="success"
Nov 15 19:09:33 tanghus-Lenovo systemd[1]: Starting Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status...
Nov 15 19:09:33 tanghus-Lenovo systemd[1]: Started Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status.
Nov 15 19:09:38 tanghus-Lenovo systemd[1]: systemd-rfkill.service: Succeeded.
Nov 15 19:09:41 tanghus-Lenovo NetworkManager[705]: <info>  [1573841381.1408] audit: op="statistics" arg="refresh-rate-ms" pid=1215 uid=1000 result="success"
Nov 15 19:09:46 tanghus-Lenovo NetworkManager[705]: <info>  [1573841386.8353] audit: op="statistics" arg="refresh-rate-ms" pid=1215 uid=1000 result="success"

It's kinda hard to see if it's turning it on or off, but I can see it in the network widget. See attachments.

BUT - when I click to enable wifi again, it changes to the wifi off and prints to the journal:


Nov 15 19:19:38 tanghus-Lenovo NetworkManager[705]: <info>  [1573841978.4257] audit: op="radio-control" arg="wireless-enabled" pid=1215 uid=1000 result="success"
Nov 15 19:19:38 tanghus-Lenovo systemd[1]: Starting Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status...
Nov 15 19:19:38 tanghus-Lenovo systemd[1]: Started Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status.
Nov 15 19:19:43 tanghus-Lenovo systemd[1]: systemd-rfkill.service: Succeeded.

Any idea what wen't on here? Did the wifi chip just die? That takes mobility out of the equation :(

PC: Lenovo G570

$ uname -a
Linux tanghus-Lenovo 5.3.0-23-generic #25-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 12 09:22:33 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Operating System: Kubuntu 19.10
KDE Plasma Version: 5.17.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.64.0
Qt Version: 5.12.4
Kernel Version: 5.3.0-23-generic
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 2 × Intel® Pentium® CPU B960 @ 2.20GHz
Memory: 7,7 GiB of RAM


--
/Thomas
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

wifi-off.png (13K) Download Attachment
wifi-on.png (13K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suddenly... No wifi!

Ian Bruntlett
Hi Thomas,

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 at 18:29, Thomas Tanghus <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was just sitting here, doing my stuff, when suddenly I had no network. I checked
my other devices, and they could use the wifi just fine. The network widget (I'm
using Plasma) was disabled and wifi couldn't be enabled again. Maybe I had hid
some wifi kill-switch on the keyboard? It's a "new" laptop (new to me), so after
finding the manual and the kill-switch (Fn-F5) I tried it out while tailing journalctl:
Somehow my T420 ThinkPad went into flight mode a couple of days ago. I looked at its user guide and found it has a WiFi killswitch on the right hand side. Fiddled around with that and WiFi started working again. Could you have a similar, obscure , switch causing this problem?

BW,


Ian

--
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org
-- My writing - https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett/


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suddenly... No wifi!

ubuntu-users mailing list
In reply to this post by Thomas Tanghus
On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 19:27:24 +0100, Thomas Tanghus wrote:
>journalctl:

Hi,

I'm not using NetworManager. Instead of taking a look at journalctl I
would use systemctl status. I also wouldn't use the restart command,
but restart by the stop and start commands and then check by using the
status command:

sudo systemctl stop   NetworkManager.service
sudo systemctl start  NetworkManager.service
systemctl      status NetworkManager.service

Also consider to take a look at nmcli, by running

nmcli help
man nmcli

and perhaps by googeling. If you should use a snap, the service might
have a different name, Google mentions snap.networkmanager.

Regards,
Ralf

--
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”

― Charles Ives


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suddenly... No wifi!

ubuntu-users mailing list
In reply to this post by Ian Bruntlett
On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 18:58:56 +0000, Ian Bruntlett wrote:
>Could you have a similar, obscure , switch causing this problem?

Hi,

I wouldn't call a switch to turn off WiFi "obscure" :). My Linux gear
is connected by wire. However, for gear that is connected via air, a
switch to toggle between off and on IMO is a good thing.

2 Cents,
Ralf

--
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”

― Charles Ives


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suddenly... No wifi!

Thomas Tanghus
In reply to this post by Ian Bruntlett
On Friday, 15 November 2019 19.58.56 CET Ian Bruntlett wrote:
> Could you have a similar, obscure , switch causing this problem?

Sadly no, but good idea.

The manual, that mentions that the wifi can be any of:
WLAN card, Intel 6250NX MOW M PCIE NB HMC
WLAN card, Intel 6250GX MOW M PCIE NB HMC
WLAN card, Intel 6150NX MOW M PCIE NB HMC
WLAN card, Intel 6150GX MOW M PCIE NB HMC
WLAN card, Intel 1000N MOW M PCIE NB HMC
WLAN card, Cbt BCM4313 MOW M PCIE NB HMC
WLAN card, Liteon AR9285 HB95 BGN MOW NB
WLAN card, Cbt BCM43227 MOW M PCIE NB HMC
WLAN card, Liteon HB97 MOW M PCIE NB HMC

https://cloud.tanghus.net/apps/sharingpath/tanghus/Documents/Manuals/Lenovo%20G570/Lenovo%20G470G475G570G575%20Hardware%20Mainenance%20Manual.pdf
--
/Thomas



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suddenly... No wifi!

ubuntu-users mailing list
When googeling for "lenovo g570 airplane mode" some people mentioned to
search the support side for BIOS updates. Dunno if there is a Linux and
WiFi related update available.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suddenly... No wifi!

Thomas Tanghus
In reply to this post by ubuntu-users mailing list
On Friday, 15 November 2019 20.16.22 CET Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
> I'm not using NetworManager. Instead of taking a look at journalctl I
> would use systemctl status. I also wouldn't use the restart command,
> but restart by the stop and start commands and then check by using the
> status command:
>
> sudo systemctl stop   NetworkManager.service
> sudo systemctl start  NetworkManager.service
> systemctl      status NetworkManager.service

It looks like it just connects to the cable I had to plug in.

$ sudo systemctl status NetworkManager.service
● NetworkManager.service - Network Manager
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Fri 2019-11-15 20:47:32 CET; 11s ago
     Docs: man:NetworkManager(8)
 Main PID: 6561 (NetworkManager)
    Tasks: 4 (limit: 4915)
   Memory: 3.7M
   CGroup: /system.slice/NetworkManager.service
           └─6561 /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon

Nov 15 20:47:32 tanghus-Lenovo NetworkManager[6561]: <info>  [1573847252.9995] dhcp4 (enp1s0): state changed unknown -> bound
Nov 15 20:47:33 tanghus-Lenovo NetworkManager[6561]: <info>  [1573847253.0011] device (enp1s0): state change: ip-config -> ip-check (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'assume')
Nov 15 20:47:33 tanghus-Lenovo NetworkManager[6561]: <info>  [1573847253.0098] device (enp1s0): state change: ip-check -> secondaries (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'assume')
Nov 15 20:47:33 tanghus-Lenovo NetworkManager[6561]: <info>  [1573847253.0102] device (enp1s0): state change: secondaries -> activated (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'assume')
Nov 15 20:47:33 tanghus-Lenovo NetworkManager[6561]: <info>  [1573847253.0109] manager: NetworkManager state is now CONNECTED_LOCAL
Nov 15 20:47:33 tanghus-Lenovo NetworkManager[6561]: <info>  [1573847253.0120] manager: NetworkManager state is now CONNECTED_SITE
Nov 15 20:47:33 tanghus-Lenovo NetworkManager[6561]: <info>  [1573847253.0122] policy: set 'New 802-3-ethernet connection' (enp1s0) as default for IPv4 routing and DNS
Nov 15 20:47:33 tanghus-Lenovo NetworkManager[6561]: <info>  [1573847253.0129] device (enp1s0): Activation: successful, device activated.
Nov 15 20:47:33 tanghus-Lenovo NetworkManager[6561]: <info>  [1573847253.0165] manager: NetworkManager state is now CONNECTED_GLOBAL
Nov 15 20:47:33 tanghus-Lenovo NetworkManager[6561]: <info>  [1573847253.0184] manager: startup complete
 
> Also consider to take a look at nmcli, by running
>
> nmcli help
> man nmcli

That doesn't give a pretty view:

$ nmcli device wifi list
IN-USE  SSID  MODE  CHAN  RATE  SIGNAL  BARS  SECURITY

Nothing.

But while doing this jornalctl spat out something that might be useful. Too long
to post here, so a link to my docs: https://cloud.tanghus.net/s/erJBTWqgEKXqLSz

An excerpt:

rfkill1: found Wi-Fi radio killswitch (at /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:02:00.0/ieee80211/phy0/rfkill1) (driver ath9k)
rfkill0: found Wi-Fi radio killswitch (at /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.0/PNP0C09:00/VPC2004:00/rfkill/rfkill0) (platform driver ideapad_acpi)

But what to  read from it I don't know.

> When googeling for "lenovo g570 airplane mode" some people mentioned to
> search the support side for BIOS updates. Dunno if there is a Linux and
> WiFi related update available.

He, as usual google delivers odd and different results, but ddg gave no results at all. I'll try to vary my searches.
--
/Thomas



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suddenly... No wifi!

Chris Green
In reply to this post by ubuntu-users mailing list
On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 08:25:46PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 18:58:56 +0000, Ian Bruntlett wrote:
> >Could you have a similar, obscure , switch causing this problem?
>
> Hi,
>
> I wouldn't call a switch to turn off WiFi "obscure" :). My Linux gear
> is connected by wire. However, for gear that is connected via air, a
> switch to toggle between off and on IMO is a good thing.
>
> 2 Cents,

Yes, but they are very rarely propoerly documented and it's often
quite difficult (impossible) to tell whether WiFi is switched on or
off.

Often there is no proper written manual and it's near impossible to
find proper information about the switch and how it works.

--
Chris Green

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suddenly... No wifi!

ubuntu-users mailing list
In reply to this post by Thomas Tanghus
On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 21:09:45 +0100, Thomas Tanghus wrote:
>He, as usual google delivers odd and different results, but ddg gave
>no results at all. I'll try to vary my searches.

I dislike Google, but since DDG doesn't provide German searches (at
least it didn't, does it nowadays?) and startpage and Co. are also less
good, I try Google, if necessary. Yes, to yary searches is a good idea.
I several times got best results, when I made a typo :D. I'm not
kidding!


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suddenly... No wifi!

ubuntu-users mailing list
In reply to this post by Chris Green
On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 20:35:55 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

>On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 08:25:46PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf via
>ubuntu-users wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 18:58:56 +0000, Ian Bruntlett wrote:  
>> >Could you have a similar, obscure , switch causing this problem?  
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wouldn't call a switch to turn off WiFi "obscure" :). My Linux gear
>> is connected by wire. However, for gear that is connected via air, a
>> switch to toggle between off and on IMO is a good thing.
>>
>> 2 Cents,  
>
>Yes, but they are very rarely propoerly documented and it's often
>quite difficult (impossible) to tell whether WiFi is switched on or
>off.
>
>Often there is no proper written manual and it's near impossible to
>find proper information about the switch and how it works.

OK, I understand. In the old days we owned well documented computers,
unfortunately they were more or less toys. Nowadays we own "real"
computers, but odd documentation. I don't experienced this related to
WiFi, since I seldom use WiFi, but I run into this issue related to
other domains, too. :(


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suddenly... No wifi!

Thomas Tanghus
In reply to this post by ubuntu-users mailing list
On Friday, 15 November 2019 21.57.14 CET Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
> I dislike Google, but since DDG doesn't provide German searches (at
> least it didn't, does it nowadays?) and startpage and Co. are also less
> good, I try Google, if necessary. Yes, to yary searches is a good idea.

DDG lets you search by region e.g. Germany. I primarily use DDG as I think
they deliver the most relevant results for what I'm searching for. I don't
know if it will return good results about instagram, influencers or fashion
though 😆

> I several times got best results, when I made a typo :D. I'm not
> kidding!

Or at least results you didn't know you were interested in :)

--
/Thomas



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suddenly... No wifi!

Colin Law
In reply to this post by Thomas Tanghus
On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 at 18:29, Thomas Tanghus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I was just sitting here, doing my stuff, when suddenly I had no network.

Try booting into Windows (assuming the machine has a Windows boot).
That may give you some clues.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suddenly... No wifi!

Thomas Tanghus
On Friday, 15 November 2019 23.35.40 CET Colin Law wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 at 18:29, Thomas Tanghus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was just sitting here, doing my stuff, when suddenly I had no network.
>
> Try booting into Windows (assuming the machine has a Windows boot).
> That may give you some clues.

When I install Linux, I install it thorughly ;) Nope, no Windows.

--
/Thomas



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suddenly... No wifi!

Thomas Tanghus
In reply to this post by Thomas Tanghus
On Friday, 15 November 2019 20.28.09 CET Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> On Friday, 15 November 2019 19.58.56 CET Ian Bruntlett wrote:
> > Could you have a similar, obscure , switch causing this problem?
>
> Sadly no, but good idea.

I was wrong, you were right! 😀 https://askubuntu.com/a/341446/900388

I hardly wasted my entire evening ;) https://askubuntu.com/questions/1189175/atheros-ar9285-wireless-hard-blocked-on-lenovo-g570/1189181#1189181

--
/Thomas



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suddenly... No wifi!

ubuntu-users mailing list
It could have been worse, than 6½ hours to find a hidden switch. It's
more annoying to need 6½ days to find a huge red flashing button. It's
said that smoking does shorten lifetime for around 10 years. I bet we
waste more than 20 years of our lifetime by missing huge red flashing
buttons. So instead of stopping to smoke and being annoyed to waste 6½
hours to find a hidden switch, we should stop failing to notice
all the giant-sized red flashing and loud beeping buttons surrounding
us.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suddenly... No wifi!

Thomas Tanghus
On Saturday, 16 November 2019 05.56.52 CET Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
wrote:
> It could have been worse, than 6½ hours to find a hidden switch. It's
> more annoying to need 6½ days to find a huge red flashing button. It's
> said that smoking does shorten lifetime for around 10 years. I bet we
> waste more than 20 years of our lifetime by missing huge red flashing
> buttons. So instead of stopping to smoke and being annoyed to waste 6½
> hours to find a hidden switch, we should stop failing to notice
> all the giant-sized red flashing and loud beeping buttons surrounding
> us.

Amen to that, in a non-religious way.

--
/Thomas



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users