Suggestion

Jonathan Aquilina
Is it possible to put on the page a list of versions that the steps to setup something applies to that way if and when somethign changes then we know that hey these documents need to be updated to include said stuff for this particular version.

--
Jonathan Aquilina

Re: Suggestion

Tom Davies-9
Hi :)
I think we need to be wary of that sort of thing.  It can make a page appear outdated even if it's contents are still valid and just means people have to take care to edit every single page even if it's only for that 1 thing.

It has always been my worry that it's the only reason some of our current pages have a bad reputation for being old.  The advice might still be solid but the version numbers are so out of date that the page is in danger of getting deleted and the wisdom or cunning lost.  Since the move to Unity that has been a lot less of an issue and i am beginning to agree it would be good to just wipe out a large number of pages, or at least stop them from being publicly accessible, but probably just deleting would be best.

Regards from
Tom :)

Is it possible to put on the page a list of versions that the steps to setup something applies to that way if and when somethign changes then we know that hey these documents need to be updated to include said stuff for this particular version.

--
Jonathan Aquilina

Re: Suggestion

Phill Whiteside-3
Hi,

having just had a new tag [1] added maybe we can use these?

Regards,

Phill.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw

Re: Suggestion

Phill Whiteside
Hi Jonathan,

yes, the tags show up at the top of the page. As I'm now going to spend more time on wiki / docs, I will be tagging pages up. An example of this can be seen via http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2169566

Regards,

Phill.

On 13 September 2013 21:05, Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes, everyone sees tags.

I think both ideas have merit.  I kinda wish the tag said
Unsupported Version: This article appears to apply to unsupported versions of Ubuntu.
or something else less definite that the way it is set at the moment.

If something definitely only applies to unsupported versions then it should definitely be removed but i think there are a lot of pages where it's unclear or where just a bit of updating or pruning large chunks out might fix the page.  However, even so, i think it would be good to use the tag as it is to see if it helps shake things up a bit.

I also quite like Jonathon's idea of listing some of the versions the page is known to work with.  I think there are dangers with it but even so it's worth considering imo.

Regards from
Tom :)

Re: Suggestion

Hannie Dumoleyn
Hi Phill,
I really like this tagging system. This example of yours illustrates it
very well.
I wonder if it would be possible to mention at the top of every wiki
page what version(s) of Ubuntu it is (re)written for.
Hannie

Op 13-09-13 22:12, Phill Whiteside schreef:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> yes, the tags show up at the top of the page. As I'm now going to
> spend more time on wiki / docs, I will be tagging pages up. An example
> of this can be seen via http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2169566
>
> Regards,
>
> Phill.

Re: Suggestion

Jonathan Aquilina
Hannie you couldnt have said it any better. That was what I was hoping for as well.

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Hannie Dumoleyn <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Phill,
I really like this tagging system. This example of yours illustrates it
very well.
I wonder if it would be possible to mention at the top of every wiki
page what version(s) of Ubuntu it is (re)written for.
Hannie

Op 13-09-13 22:12, Phill Whiteside schreef:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> yes, the tags show up at the top of the page. As I'm now going to
> spend more time on wiki / docs, I will be tagging pages up. An example
> of this can be seen via http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2169566
>
> Regards,
>
> Phill.

Jonathan Aquilina

Re: Suggestion

Tom Davies-9
Hi :)
That's where it gets tricky.  It means every single page would need to be updated every 6months otherwise it looks out-dated even if it is still current.  It's why very few web-sites give a date.  It just creates a lot more work per cycle without really giving much benefit.

I think the tags work.
Regards from
Tom :)

I really like this tagging system. This example of yours illustrates it
very well.
I wonder if it would be possible to mention at the top of every wiki
page what version(s) of Ubuntu it is (re)written for.
Hannie

Op 13-09-13 22:12, Phill Whiteside schreef:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> yes, the tags show up at the top of the page. As I'm now going to
> spend more time on wiki / docs, I will be tagging pages up. An example
> of this can be seen via http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2169566
>
> Regards,
>
> Phill.

Re: Suggestion

Tom Davies-9
Hi :)
Ahhh, now i read some older posts i realise i misunderstood Hannie's suggestion.

I think that when the "Unsupported" tag is used it might be good to give the last version number that the editor is aware of it working for.  People with more detailed knowledge could always fix that later if needed.  I think the one tag is enough to cover all unsupported versions jic anyone is try to create tons of tags.

It's only the currently supported pages that i think should not have visible marks to age them but if there was a note that was "commented-out" then that might help reviewers and editors.

I don't like the idea of losing old knowledge, like Phil, but i also think we have to find some way to separate out the old stuff from the new.  I think the perception people have of the wiki is due to older and current pages all being mixed in together.  I think the tag does a lot to solve that.
Regards from
Tom :)

I really like this tagging system. This example of yours illustrates it
very well.
I wonder if it would be possible to mention at the top of every wiki
page what version(s) of Ubuntu it is (re)written for.
Hannie

Op 13-09-13 22:12, Phill Whiteside schreef:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> yes, the tags show up at the top of the page. As I'm now going to
> spend more time on wiki / docs, I will be tagging pages up. An example
> of this can be seen via http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2169566
>
> Regards,
>
> Phill.

Re: Suggestion

John Kim-2
So do I. :-)

I do not recall whether this was answered, but will we implement the tagging system on the documentation as well?

Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]>이 씀:
Hannie you couldnt have said it any better. That was what I was hoping for as well.

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Hannie Dumoleyn <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Phill,
I really like this tagging system. This example of yours illustrates it
very well.
I wonder if it would be possible to mention at the top of every wiki
page what version(s) of Ubuntu it is (re)written for.
Hannie

Op 13-09-13 22:12, Phill Whiteside schreef:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> yes, the tags show up at the top of the page. As I'm now going to
> spend more time on wiki / docs, I will be tagging pages up. An example
> of this can be seen via http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2169566
>
> Regards,
>
> Phill.

Re: Suggestion

Jonathan Aquilina
I really would hope so.

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 6:00 PM, John Kim <[hidden email]> wrote:
So do I. :-)

I do not recall whether this was answered, but will we implement the tagging system on the documentation as well?

Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]>이 씀:
Hannie you couldnt have said it any better. That was what I was hoping for as well.

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Hannie Dumoleyn <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Phill,
I really like this tagging system. This example of yours illustrates it
very well.
I wonder if it would be possible to mention at the top of every wiki
page what version(s) of Ubuntu it is (re)written for.
Hannie

Op 13-09-13 22:12, Phill Whiteside schreef:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> yes, the tags show up at the top of the page. As I'm now going to
> spend more time on wiki / docs, I will be tagging pages up. An example
> of this can be seen via http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2169566
>
> Regards,
>
> Phill.

Jonathan Aquilina