Switching to Gnome from KDE

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
38 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Switching to Gnome from KDE

Dotan Cohen
After playing with Gnome a bit, I _might_ switch from KDE. I need to
know these few things first:

1) Which text editor can I use to replace Kate? I specifically need to
bookmark directories on remote machines inside the editor interface.
Kate, via the fish protocol (ssh), is perfect for this. Has Gnome an
equivelent?

2) As I place the Windows List on the right side of the screen, I want
it to display only the icons for the windows, not the title. How do I
disable the title display?

3) The desktop icons are a mess of different sizes. How do I define a
single, uniform size for them, such as displayed in Nautilus? There
seems to be no option for such anywhere I look.

4) Although I can browse remote machines via FTP in Nautilus, when I
open a file for editing I cannot save it. How do I enable save for
files that I open? As I thought that it may be a permissions problem
(even though I can save those files when opened in KDE) I tried to
check their permissions and got this error: "The permissions of xxx
cannot be determined". Why?

Dotan Cohen

http://dotancohen.com/
http://gmail-com.com/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to Gnome from KDE

Preventas Latinbits
On 10/11/06, Dotan Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After playing with Gnome a bit, I _might_ switch from KDE. I need to
> know these few things first:
>
> 1) Which text editor can I use to replace Kate? I specifically need to
> bookmark directories on remote machines inside the editor interface.
> Kate, via the fish protocol (ssh), is perfect for this. Has Gnome an
> equivelent?
>
> 2) As I place the Windows List on the right side of the screen, I want
> it to display only the icons for the windows, not the title. How do I
> disable the title display?
>
> 3) The desktop icons are a mess of different sizes. How do I define a
> single, uniform size for them, such as displayed in Nautilus? There
> seems to be no option for such anywhere I look.
>
> 4) Although I can browse remote machines via FTP in Nautilus, when I
> open a file for editing I cannot save it. How do I enable save for
> files that I open? As I thought that it may be a permissions problem
> (even though I can save those files when opened in KDE) I tried to
> check their permissions and got this error: "The permissions of xxx
> cannot be determined". Why?
>
> Dotan Cohen

May I ask why do you wish to switch from kde to Gnome?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to Gnome from KDE

Dotan Cohen
On 11/10/06, Carlos Alberto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/11/06, Dotan Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > After playing with Gnome a bit, I _might_ switch from KDE. I need to
> > know these few things first:
> >
> > 1) Which text editor can I use to replace Kate? I specifically need to
> > bookmark directories on remote machines inside the editor interface.
> > Kate, via the fish protocol (ssh), is perfect for this. Has Gnome an
> > equivelent?
> >
> > 2) As I place the Windows List on the right side of the screen, I want
> > it to display only the icons for the windows, not the title. How do I
> > disable the title display?
> >
> > 3) The desktop icons are a mess of different sizes. How do I define a
> > single, uniform size for them, such as displayed in Nautilus? There
> > seems to be no option for such anywhere I look.
> >
> > 4) Although I can browse remote machines via FTP in Nautilus, when I
> > open a file for editing I cannot save it. How do I enable save for
> > files that I open? As I thought that it may be a permissions problem
> > (even though I can save those files when opened in KDE) I tried to
> > check their permissions and got this error: "The permissions of xxx
> > cannot be determined". Why?
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
>
> May I ask why do you wish to switch from kde to Gnome?
>

For one, I'm helping a few friends jump on the Ubuntu bandwagon, and
I'd like to be as familiar with the default UI as possible. That means
actually using it.

For another, I actually do like the latest Gnome in Ubuntu. I find
that KDE is stuffing too many buttons on the UI of otherwise simple
programs. I find the clean look of Gnome appealing.

I'm also using F-Spot quite a bit now. And my machine can't handle
having two desktops loaded at once- it slows the machine down
terribly. If F-Spot didn't depend on the Gnome libraries it would be a
different story.

Another reason is the fact that the scrollbars change colour when I
mouse over them. With my vision, that's nice. KDE may be able to do
that as well, though I haven't looked into it.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/
http://what-is-what.com/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to Gnome from KDE

Preventas Latinbits
On 10/11/06, Dotan Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For one, I'm helping a few friends jump on the Ubuntu bandwagon, and
> I'd like to be as familiar with the default UI as possible. That means
> actually using it.
>
> For another, I actually do like the latest Gnome in Ubuntu. I find
> that KDE is stuffing too many buttons on the UI of otherwise simple
> programs. I find the clean look of Gnome appealing.
>
> I'm also using F-Spot quite a bit now. And my machine can't handle
> having two desktops loaded at once- it slows the machine down
> terribly. If F-Spot didn't depend on the Gnome libraries it would be a
> different story.
>
> Another reason is the fact that the scrollbars change colour when I
> mouse over them. With my vision, that's nice. KDE may be able to do
> that as well, though I haven't looked into it.
>
> Dotan Cohen

Thanks for the time you took to explain your reasons. I am my self a
Gnome user and sometime wonder if i should switch to KDE because of
all the nice applications already developed for it. I know i can
always run one application from the other but I have that personality
that has a tendency to dislike middle grounds. For me is usually
either white or black or in this case Gnome or KDE.

Carlos

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to Gnome from KDE

Tommy Trussell
In reply to this post by Dotan Cohen
On 10/11/06, Dotan Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> After playing with Gnome a bit, I _might_ switch from KDE. I need to
> know these few things first:
>
> 1) Which text editor can I use to replace Kate? I specifically need to
> bookmark directories on remote machines inside the editor interface.
> Kate, via the fish protocol (ssh), is perfect for this. Has Gnome an
> equivelent?

Personally, I recommend Kate. It has all sorts of great features. (grin!)

I use Konqueror and Kate all the time under Xfce. When I need to
(rarely!) I can always start KDE or Gnome. When I use Konq to brows
the remote system, I can easily right-click a file and open it with
Kate, then when I save it the remote file gets updated. There are a
FEW things that don't work (desktop integration issues, like dragging
files from other file managers to Kate, for instance) but the basic
app works great, and the KDE utilities work together within other
environments.

Switching from Gnome to KDE is neither irrevocable nor absolute --
install both, and use what you need when you need it!

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to Gnome from KDE

Dotan Cohen
On 12/10/06, Tommy Trussell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/11/06, Dotan Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > After playing with Gnome a bit, I _might_ switch from KDE. I need to
> > know these few things first:
> >
> > 1) Which text editor can I use to replace Kate? I specifically need to
> > bookmark directories on remote machines inside the editor interface.
> > Kate, via the fish protocol (ssh), is perfect for this. Has Gnome an
> > equivelent?
>
> Personally, I recommend Kate. It has all sorts of great features. (grin!)

I know. I'm madly in love with her, and I'll be hard to give her up. I
thought that _maybe_ Gnome has something similar.

> I use Konqueror and Kate all the time under Xfce. When I need to
> (rarely!) I can always start KDE or Gnome. When I use Konq to brows
> the remote system, I can easily right-click a file and open it with
> Kate, then when I save it the remote file gets updated. There are a
> FEW things that don't work (desktop integration issues, like dragging
> files from other file managers to Kate, for instance) but the basic
> app works great, and the KDE utilities work together within other
> environments.
>
> Switching from Gnome to KDE is neither irrevocable nor absolute --
> install both, and use what you need when you need it!

Both are installed. My four-year-old box cannot handle the heavy loads
of having libraries from both desktops open at the same time. So as
long as I don't open F-Spot I'm fine. But the minute I open it, so
many Gnome things get loaded that the box can't cope.

Truth is, if it weren't for F-Spot, I wouldn't even consider
switching. However, F-Spot is such a great app, that I won't give it
up, either.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/
http://song-lirics.com/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to Gnome from KDE

Scott Beamer
On Thursday 12 October 2006 12:14 am, Dotan Cohen ([hidden email])
spake thusly:

> On 12/10/06, Tommy Trussell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Personally, I recommend Kate. It has all sorts of great features.
>> (grin!)
>
> I know. I'm madly in love with her, and I'll be hard to give her up. I
> thought that _maybe_ Gnome has something similar.

Kate is the best text editor I've ever used.   The closest thing GNOME
has is Gedit. But in fact it's not even close.

>> Switching from Gnome to KDE is neither irrevocable nor absolute --
>> install both, and use what you need when you need it!
>
> Both are installed. My four-year-old box cannot handle the heavy loads
> of having libraries from both desktops open at the same time. So as
> long as I don't open F-Spot I'm fine. But the minute I open it, so
> many Gnome things get loaded that the box can't cope.
>
> Truth is, if it weren't for F-Spot, I wouldn't even consider
> switching. However, F-Spot is such a great app, that I won't give it
> up, either.

Ever tried KimDaBa?

--
        Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com
© 2006 angrykeyboarder™ & Elmer Fudd. All Wights Wesewved


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to Gnome from KDE

Dotan Cohen
On 12/10/06, Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ever tried KimDaBa?

Started off with it. It's metadata format was incompatable with my
IPTC data at the time, though that may have changed. Also, the wife
prefers the F-Spot interface- KimDaBa (now KPhotoAlbum) is more
businesslike (which I actually prefer).

Dotan Cohen

http://dotancohen.com/
http://lyricslist.com/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to Gnome from KDE

Constantine Evans-2
In reply to this post by Scott Beamer
Scott wrote:
> Kate is the best text editor I've ever used.   The closest thing GNOME
> has is Gedit. But in fact it's not even close.

Gnome has GVim, in the vim-gnome package. There is also a Gtk 2 version
of Emacs.

Constantine


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to Gnome from KDE

Constantine Evans-2
In reply to this post by Dotan Cohen
Dotan Cohen wrote:

> I know. I'm madly in love with her, and I'll be hard to give her up. I
> thought that _maybe_ Gnome has something similar.
>

As I mentioned in another email, Gnome has GVim, if you like vim.

>
> Both are installed. My four-year-old box cannot handle the heavy loads
> of having libraries from both desktops open at the same time. So as
> long as I don't open F-Spot I'm fine. But the minute I open it, so
> many Gnome things get loaded that the box can't cope.
>
> Truth is, if it weren't for F-Spot, I wouldn't even consider
> switching. However, F-Spot is such a great app, that I won't give it
> up, either.

It sounds like you don't have enough RAM, since F-Spot uses quite a bit
of memory. Have you considered buying more RAM to put in the machine?
You can buy 512 MB new for around $50 for most types of RAM, and for
older types, I'm sure there are a variety of people who would be happy
to give you some.

Also, I'd be interested in knowing your experiences with F-Spot. Are you
  using it for a large number of images? I've been considering using it
to organise my ~50GB of photographs that are in a mix of Nikon RAW and
JPEG, interspersed with processed versions of the RAW files in 16-bit
TIFFs. In my tests of it, it seems to work quite well with JPEGs, but it
doesn't seem to allow one to edit the files with whatever editors one
wants (I need to use ufraw, and cinepaint for the 16 bit tiffs).

Constantine


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to Gnome from KDE

Dotan Cohen
In reply to this post by Constantine Evans-2
On 12/10/06, Constantine Evans <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Gnome has GVim, in the vim-gnome package. There is also a Gtk 2 version
> of Emacs.

Thanks, Constantine, I'm familiar with Vim. So, how do I define
bookmarks on remote machines via ssh with Vim (or GVim)? I did not
realize this was possibile.

Dotan Cohen

http://english-lyrics.com/
http://auto-car.info/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to Gnome from KDE

Scott Beamer
In reply to this post by Constantine Evans-2
On Thursday 12 October 2006 02:48 am, Constantine Evans
([hidden email]) spake thusly:

> Scott wrote:
>> Kate is the best text editor I've ever used.   The closest thing
>> GNOME has is Gedit. But in fact it's not even close.
>
> Gnome has GVim, in the vim-gnome package. There is also a Gtk 2
> version of Emacs.
>
> Constantine

Kate has several features that other text editors don't. That's why I
like it.  It also took me a few minutes to learn.

Vim or Emas would take me days to learn.

No thanks.

--
        Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com
© 2006 angrykeyboarder™ & Elmer Fudd. All Wights Wesewved


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to Gnome from KDE

Dotan Cohen
In reply to this post by Constantine Evans-2
On 12/10/06, Constantine Evans <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It sounds like you don't have enough RAM, since F-Spot uses quite a bit
> of memory. Have you considered buying more RAM to put in the machine?
> You can buy 512 MB new for around $50 for most types of RAM, and for
> older types, I'm sure there are a variety of people who would be happy
> to give you some.

Actually, I just upgraded from 512MB to GB. The machine feels slower.
There is another thread on that. Maybe I posted it to Kubunu list, if
so, I'll post here as well.

> Also, I'd be interested in knowing your experiences with F-Spot. Are you
> using it for a large number of images?

Yes, about 6000 images currently, and growing. Thats about 10 GB.

> I've been considering using it
> to organise my ~50GB of photographs that are in a mix of Nikon RAW and
> JPEG, interspersed with processed versions of the RAW files in 16-bit
> TIFFs. In my tests of it, it seems to work quite well with JPEGs, but it
> doesn't seem to allow one to edit the files with whatever editors one
> wants (I need to use ufraw, and cinepaint for the 16 bit tiffs).

You would, of course, need to open the file in the editor of your
choice. But adding an "Edit With..." dialog would not be difficult.
Should I enquire about it on the F-spot list for you?

Also, verify first that F-Spot will work with your different RAW formats.

Dotan Cohen

http://essentialinux.com/
http://simplesniff.com/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to Gnome from KDE

Dotan Cohen
In reply to this post by Scott Beamer
On 12/10/06, Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Kate has several features that other text editors don't. That's why I
> like it.  It also took me a few minutes to learn.
>
> Vim or Emas would take me days to learn.
>
> No thanks.
>

Days? I'm going on weeks with Vim...

Dotan Cohen

http://english-lyrics.com/
http://what-is-what.com/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to Gnome from KDE

Scott Beamer
On Thursday 12 October 2006 03:10 am, Dotan Cohen ([hidden email])
spake thusly:

> On 12/10/06, Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Kate has several features that other text editors don't. That's why I
>> like it.  It also took me a few minutes to learn.
>>
>> Vim or Emas would take me days to learn.
>>
>> No thanks.
>>
>
> Days? I'm going on weeks with Vim...

I'd have said weeks but I figured I might embarass myself.

Now that you have I'll change that.

Vim or Emas would take me months to learn.

I've honestly not seen why I should bother.

--
        Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com
© 2006 angrykeyboarder™ & Elmer Fudd. All Wights Wesewved


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to Gnome from KDE

albi@scii.nl
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 03:20:12 -0700
Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Vim or Emas would take me months to learn.
>
> I've honestly not seen why I should bother.

not with that attitude ;-)

the graphical vim has...  buttons to use!

and which features does kate have which you want ?
and running kate in Gnome is not an option for you ?

--
grtjs,
albi

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to Gnome from KDE

Brian Beattie
In reply to this post by Dotan Cohen
On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 12:10 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> On 12/10/06, Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Kate has several features that other text editors don't. That's why I
> > like it.  It also took me a few minutes to learn.
> >
> > Vim or Emas would take me days to learn.
> >
> > No thanks.
> >
>
> Days? I'm going on weeks with Vim...

I've been using vi and it variants for 25 years, and I'm still learning
new stuff.  But then I just use it to get work done.

>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://english-lyrics.com/
> http://what-is-what.com/
>
--
Brian Beattie   LFS12947 | "Honor isn't about making the right choices.
[hidden email] | It's about dealing with the consequences."
www.beattie-home.net     | -- Midori Koto



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to Gnome from KDE

Dotan Cohen
In reply to this post by albi@scii.nl
On 12/10/06, albi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 03:20:12 -0700
> > I've honestly not seen why I should bother.
>
> not with that attitude ;-)

Yes, it's the things that take longest to learn that can be most
appreciated. Calculus, anyone?

> and which features does kate have which you want ?

As stated, I need to bookmark directories on remote machines accessed
via ssh. I also need to browse those remote filesystems, and I can do
that from within Kate.

> and running kate in Gnome is not an option for you ?

My goal is to reduce the load on this machine, and with all the KDE
libraries that Kate must load it is not quite viable.

Dotan Cohen

http://gmail-com.com/
http://auto-car.info/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to Gnome from KDE

Richard Mancusi
In reply to this post by Dotan Cohen
> > Personally, I recommend Kate. It has all sorts of great features. (grin!)
>
> I know. I'm madly in love with her, and I'll be hard to give her up. I
> thought that _maybe_ Gnome has something similar.

Kate runs fine under Gnome - I use it all the time.  Ubuntu has done an
excellent job allowing KDE programs to run under Gnome.  e.g. Kate,
K3b, etc.  O.K. your Kate problem is solved - what's next?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Switching to Gnome from KDE

Tommy Trussell
In reply to this post by Dotan Cohen
On 10/12/06, Dotan Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My goal is to reduce the load on this machine, and with all the KDE
> libraries that Kate must load it is not quite viable.

You might try xfce (aka Xubuntu) as an alternate. My primary system is
a 1998 PowerBook G3 Series running at 266 Mhz, and I've been fine
running KDE and Gnome apps on it under xfce.

I doubt that it's the strain of the KDE and Gnome libraries that's the
problem -- I would suspect some particular application that's dragging
your system down. For example, the main reason I DON'T use Gnome on my
slowest machine is Nautilus is just too "heavy" -- it's constantly
doing stuff behind the scenes that I just don't need. In that one way,
KDE is lighter than Gnome, and xfce is much lighter than either.

But I'm not running something like F-Spot on it, either -- I'm
managing my graphics files more "manually" using carefully named
directories. So your requirements are obviously very different.

OH and I guess I should mention that I have a "posse" of cast-off
machines with just a few uses each... I have the 200Mhz Compaq that
has Apache and a big hard drive for web site testing and file backups,
and I have a 500 Mhz eMachines that runs my scanner and a print server
for handling paper documents. The PCs are running Dapper... and the
PowerBook is still running Breezy.

But of course I have the luxury of space (and electricity) to run more
than one machine... I'm sure someone else would find my daily habits
of running applications remotely (using ssh -X) to be confusing at
best.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
12