Synaptic Problem

Bill Vance

Synaptic is giving me the same error message that apt-get is,
I.e., "W: No sandbox user '_apt' on the system, can not drop
privileges".  Unfortunately, synaptic is treating it as a fatal
error, and the download dies at that point.  It also has the
same, "tiny text", problem as firefox.

Anyone know how to fix these?

Bill

Re: Synaptic Problem

James L. Parmenter
Hi Bill;
          I'm new to Kubuntu and don't know what's causing the problem, but I did Google your error (in quotes) in the search box and got 3-4 responses. Here they are:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/810202/what-is-the-sandbox-user-apt-on-my-system

https://github.com/PandaLinux/pandaOS/issues/10

https://github.com/cswl/tsu/issues/1

https://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?t=6917&start=20

     Try checking these web sites, they all mention your Error, and may provided some technical knowledge or help....?

James....

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 9:55 AM, Bill Vance <[hidden email]> wrote:

Synaptic is giving me the same error message that apt-get is,
I.e., "W: No sandbox user '_apt' on the system, can not drop
privileges".  Unfortunately, synaptic is treating it as a fatal
error, and the download dies at that point.  It also has the
same, "tiny text", problem as firefox.

Anyone know how to fix these?

Bill

Re: Synaptic Problem

Karsten Loh
Afraid I can't help you with your apt or synaptic problems. With Firefox
(or T-Bird) the tiny text problem is easy to fix though. Simply enter
"about:config" in the address bar and search for:
"layout.css.devPixelsPerPx" set that to a number that gives you a
comfortable text size (I use 1.4).

LLAP,

Karsten
--

Evil Overlord Rule #45: I will make sure I have a clear understanding of who is responsible for what in my organization. For example, if my general screws up I will not draw my weapon, point it at him, say "And here is the price for failure," then suddenly turn and kill some random underling.

On 25.01.2018 17:55, Bill Vance wrote:

> Synaptic is giving me the same error message that apt-get is,
> I.e., "W: No sandbox user '_apt' on the system, can not drop
> privileges".  Unfortunately, synaptic is treating it as a fatal
> error, and the download dies at that point.  It also has the
> same, "tiny text", problem as firefox.
>
> Anyone know how to fix these?
>
> Bill

Re: Synaptic Problem

Bill Vance

Hi Karsten;

Are you sure that's the right variable?  I've worked my way up to
6.5, and no changes.

Bill

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018, Karsten Loh wrote:

> Afraid I can't help you with your apt or synaptic problems. With Firefox
> (or T-Bird) the tiny text problem is easy to fix though. Simply enter
> "about:config" in the address bar and search for:
> "layout.css.devPixelsPerPx" set that to a number that gives you a
> comfortable text size (I use 1.4).
>

> LLAP,
>
> Karsten
> --
>
> Evil Overlord Rule #45: I will make sure I have a clear understanding of who is responsible for what in my organization. For example, if my general screws up I will not draw my weapon, point it at him, say "And here is the price for failure," then suddenly turn and kill some random underling.
>
> On 25.01.2018 17:55, Bill Vance wrote:
>>

>> Synaptic is giving me the same error message that apt-get is,
>> I.e., "W: No sandbox user '_apt' on the system, can not drop
>> privileges".  Unfortunately, synaptic is treating it as a fatal
>> error, and the download dies at that point.  It also has the
>> same, "tiny text", problem as firefox.
>>
>> Anyone know how to fix these?
>>
>> Bill

Re: Synaptic Problem

Karsten Loh
Yes that is the right setting (see also here: https://fedoramagazine.org/how-to-get-firefox-looking-right-on-a-high-dpi-display-and-fedora/ ). As stated it works for me. That said I'm using the ESR version of FF since there are still two legacy addons I need that I've not yet found suitable replacements for. I don't see any reasons why that setting shouldn't work in FF57+ though.

LLAP,

Karsten
--
Evil Overlord Rule #202: All crones with the ability to prophesy will be given free facelifts, permanents, manicures, and Donna Karan wardrobes. That should pretty well destroy their credibility.
On 25.01.2018 22:37, Bill Vance wrote:

Hi Karsten;

Are you sure that's the right variable?  I've worked my way up to
6.5, and no changes.

Bill

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018, Karsten Loh wrote:

Afraid I can't help you with your apt or synaptic problems. With Firefox
(or T-Bird) the tiny text problem is easy to fix though. Simply enter
<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="about:config">"about:config" in the address bar and search for:
[...]

Well, there is a drop down menu on the right, that has a
"zoom", entry with a + or - sign, but that only works on
the page one is visiting, and has to be reset for every
page you go to.  Not too convenient, but the real
inconvenience is the inability to read every last icon,
button, menu item, bookmark, URL address, search
bar, and et tedious cetera, without hovering over the
monitor with a magnifying glass. :-(

Bill

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018, Karsten Loh wrote:

> Yes that is the right setting (see also here:https://fedoramagazine.org/how-to-get-firefox-looking-right-on-
> a-high-dpi-display-and-fedora/ ). As stated it works for me.
> That said I'm using the ESR version of FF since there are still
> two legacy addons I need that I've not yet found suitable
> replacements for. I don't see any reasons why that setting
> shouldn't work in FF57+ though.
>
> LLAP,
>
> Karsten
> --
>
> Evil Overlord Rule #202: All crones with the ability to prophesy
>  will be given free facelifts, permanents, manicures, and Donna
> Karan wardrobes. That should pretty well destroy their credibili
> ty.
> On 25.01.2018 22:37, Bill Vance wrote:
>
>       Hi Karsten;
>
>       Are you sure that's the right variable?  I've worked
>       my way up to
>       6.5, and no changes.
>
>       Bill
>
>       On Thu, 25 Jan 2018, Karsten Loh wrote:
>
>             Afraid I can't help you with your apt or
>             synaptic problems. With Firefox
>             (or T-Bird) the tiny text problem is
>             easy to fix though. Simply enter
>             "about:config" in the address bar and
>             search for:
>             "layout.css.devPixelsPerPx" set that to
>             a number that gives you a
>             comfortable text size (I use 1.4).
>

>             LLAP,
>
>             Karsten
>             --
>
>             Evil Overlord Rule #45: I will make sure
>             I have a clear understanding of who is
>             responsible for what in my organization.
>             For example, if my general screws up I
>             will not draw my weapon, point it at
>             him, say "And here is the price for
>             failure," then suddenly turn and kill
>             some random underling.
>             On 25.01.2018 17:55, Bill Vance wrote:
>

>                   Synaptic is giving me the
>                   same error message that
>                   apt-get is,
>                   I.e., "W: No sandbox user
>                   '_apt' on the system, can
>                   not drop
>                   privileges".  Unfortunately,
>                   synaptic is treating it as a
>                   fatal
>                   error, and the download dies
>                   at that point.  It also has
>                   the
>                   same, "tiny text", problem
>                   as firefox.
>
>                   Anyone know how to fix
>                   these?
>
>                   Bill

Re: Synaptic Problem

Chris Luck-2
On 25/01/18 16:55, Bill Vance wrote:

> Synaptic is giving me the same error message that apt-get is,...

> It also has the same, "tiny text", problem as firefox.

I don't know about the error, but see my response up-thread to Volker
Wysk regarding font size in Synaptic.

As for Firefox - open System Settings as a normal user.
Go to "Application Style -> GNOME Application Style (GTK)" and set the
font there (on Linux, Firefox is a Gnome application).
I'll be interested to hear what size it was set to - I've never had a
problem with Firefox.

Chris Luck