System keeps locking, how do I find out what happens?

System keeps locking, how do I find out what happens?

Mark Lawrence
Hi folks,

By locked I mean that I can't get a response from the mouse and that the
time on the top bar, which I have set to include seconds, stops
incrementing.

I've found from a search REISUB and on hitting the R the system has been
released, although more often than not I have to complete the sequence.
  However on the last occurrence I tried not even the keyboard worked so
it was power off and start again.

So which logs should I be looking in to ascertain what is going on as
this is obviously extremely irritating?  Please spell it out in idiot
terms as I'm not a linux expert, thanks :-)

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

Re: System keeps locking, how do I find out what happens?

Colin Law
On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 at 20:46, Mark Lawrence <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> By locked I mean that I can't get a response from the mouse and that the
> time on the top bar, which I have set to include seconds, stops
> incrementing.
>
> I've found from a search REISUB and on hitting the R the system has been
> released, although more often than not I have to complete the sequence.
>   However on the last occurrence I tried not even the keyboard worked so
> it was power off and start again.
>
> So which logs should I be looking in to ascertain what is going on as
> this is obviously extremely irritating?  Please spell it out in idiot
> terms as I'm not a linux expert, thanks :-)

This sounds to me most likely to be broken hardware, though not necessarily.
Look in /var/log/syslog after you reboot and look back to before the
boot start.  I suspect you may find that it just stopped suddenly.

Colin

On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 at 21:46, Mark Lawrence <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> By locked I mean that I can't get a response from the mouse and that the
> time on the top bar, which I have set to include seconds, stops
> incrementing.

Stuff to try in order of ease:

• Press Ctrl+Alt+(F2-F6)

This should get you a text screen. You can log in here to do text-only
stuff, updates, reboot etc. A simple Ctrl+Alt+Del here reboots
cleanly.

• Install the openssh-server

If you have another computer on the same network, you can connect to
the "frozen" one remotely from a command prompt, stop tasks etc. If
you know the terminal.

• Try switching from X.org to Wayland or the reverse

Use the options button on the login screen. If you don't have a login
screen, Google for how to enable it.

• Check your motherboard firmware is up to date. If it is not, update it.

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]