System locked up during upgrade 18.04 to 20.04

System locked up during upgrade 18.04 to 20.04

ubuntu-users mailing list

Upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 stopped at "upgrading snap snap-store", no mouse, no screen updates (battery percentage etc) so eventually I had to do a hard shutdown and restart.

I have a system, Chromium has updated as I got the "welcome" page but also has my bookmarks, extensions, etc. Sidebar shows my favourites, top bar shows my normal apps, "About" shows 20.04 LTS.

What should I do now?

TIA

Dianne

Re: System locked up during upgrade 18.04 to 20.04

Liam Proven
On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 20:20, REUBY Dianne via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> What should I do now?

Boot from an Ubuntu USB key and check your root partition with the
`fsck` command.

Then reboot from the hard disk.

[1] try to complete the upgrade:

sudo -s
apt update
apt full-upgrade -y

[2]

If this complains that there are broken packages, try:

apt install -f

then retry step #1.

Let us know what happens.

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

Re: System locked up during upgrade 18.04 to 20.04

ubuntu-users mailing list

> On 30 September 2020 at 23:02 Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 20:20, REUBY Dianne via ubuntu-users
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > What should I do now?
>
> Boot from an Ubuntu USB key and check your root partition with the
> `fsck` command.
>
> Then reboot from the hard disk.
>
> [1] try to complete the upgrade:
>
> sudo -s
> apt update
> apt full-upgrade -y
>
> [2]
>
> If this complains that there are broken packages, try:
>
> apt install -f
>
> then retry step #1.
>
> Let us know what happens.

I wasn't quick enough with the function key to boot from my USB, so booted from hard disk. I got a message telling me I needed to complete an upgrade, which ran very quickly. No instruction to restart though.

Everything appears normal. Thanks for your help.
Dianne

Re: System locked up during upgrade 18.04 to 20.04

Liam Proven
On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 11:54, REUBY Dianne via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wasn't quick enough with the function key to boot from my USB, so booted from hard disk. I got a message telling me I needed to complete an upgrade, which ran very quickly. No instruction to restart though.
>
> Everything appears normal. Thanks for your help.

Well, that sounds good!

You're welcome. I am a bit concerned to see so many people apparently
having problems. This isn't a good sign. :-(

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]