System problem detected

Richard Kimber
After completing the upgrade to 19.04, I get a window indicating that
a system problem has been detected. It doesn't indicate what the
problem might be but just offers the option to report it, which I've
done.

How might I best find out what the problem is? I assume there's
something in syslog, but I'm not clear what to look for.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber

Re: System problem detected

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 13:41:25 +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:
>After completing the upgrade to 19.04, I get a window indicating that
>a system problem has been detected. It doesn't indicate what the
>problem might be but just offers the option to report it, which I've
>done.

Hi,

on the one hand I've seen such windows, IIRC without offering an option
to show the content of the report, on Ubuntu flavour live DVDs, too.
I've checked all those used ISO against the signed checksum, but anyway
didn't agree to send data.

On the other hand in the other thread you mentioned regarding the apt
issue "that there was a version in /usr/local/bin" and that you have
"no idea how it got there", so if you didn't check your ISO against the
signed checksum and/or you added any dubious third party repository,
consider to wipe the install, download the ISO and the checksum again
and check it against the signed checksum after importing the public
Ubuntu keys.

Change into the directory that contains the checksum and the ISO,
import the keys and check everything by running

gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys FBB75451 EFE21092
gpg --list-keys --with-fingerprint FBB75451 EFE21092
gpg --verify SHA256SUMS.gpg SHA256SUMS
sha256sum -c SHA256SUMS 2>&1 | grep OK ; echo $?

If it doesn't return

  name.of.the.ubuntu.flavour.iso: OK
  0

then the ISO is corrupted.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: System problem detected

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 17:56:44 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>download the ISO and the checksum again

You need to download the ISO and two additional files, one named

SHA256SUMS

and another named

SHA256SUMS.gpg

from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/.

Re: System problem detected

Colin Law
On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 at 13:43, Richard Kimber
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> After completing the upgrade to 19.04, I get a window indicating that
> a system problem has been detected. It doesn't indicate what the
> problem might be but just offers the option to report it, which I've
> done.
>
> How might I best find out what the problem is? I assume there's
> something in syslog, but I'm not clear what to look for.

I think most likely that is a hangover from the problems you had
during the upgrade.  You can ignore it.  If it was a real problem then
most likely it will happen again.  It appears because there is a crash
report on the system, but that may have happened during the upgrade or
the messing about afterwards.

Colin

Re: System problem detected

Colin Law
On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 at 17:05, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 17:56:44 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >download the ISO and the checksum again

You are assuming (I think) that he upgraded using an image.  It is
equally likely that he did it online.

Colin

Re: System problem detected

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 18:03:31 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 17:56:44 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>download the ISO and the checksum again
>
>You need to download the ISO and two additional files, one named
>
>SHA256SUMS
>
>and another named
>
>SHA256SUMS.gpg

This one is for Ubuntu flavours:

>from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/.

This is for Ubuntu:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/

Re: System problem detected

Richard Kimber
On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 17:08:46 +0100
Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 at 17:05, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 17:56:44 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > >download the ISO and the checksum again
>
> You are assuming (I think) that he upgraded using an image.  It is
> equally likely that he did it online.
>
> Colin

Yes, online.
- Richard
--
Richard Kimber

Re: System problem detected

Richard Kimber
On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 17:06:39 +0100
Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think most likely that is a hangover from the problems you had
> during the upgrade.  You can ignore it.  If it was a real problem then
> most likely it will happen again.  It appears because there is a crash
> report on the system, but that may have happened during the upgrade or
> the messing about afterwards.
>
> Colin

Thanks. I've deleted the two crash reports that related to the original
problem, so I'll see how it goes.

- Richard
--
Richard Kimber