[TEAM VOTE] Adding support for color emoji to Xubuntu

[TEAM VOTE] Adding support for color emoji to Xubuntu

Sean Davis

Hello Team!

During the last community meeting, we briefly discussed bring color emoji to Xubuntu [1]. We're revisiting this now since Xfce 4.14 is just around the corner, bringing with it GTK+3 and native emoji support. In any native input or text area, you can now right click, select "Insert Emoji", and display an emoji picker [2]. Emoji are even supported in the terminal! Firefox and Thunderbird include their own native color emoji support. If emoji are going to be everywhere, I think users benefit from Xubuntu providing full support for them.

I've included screenshots to help with this vote [2]. The first screenshot shows the emoji picker as it is now, with non-color emoji populated. The second shows the same picker, but after color emoji support is enabled. The third screenshot shows the native emoji support in Xfce Terminal.

Please vote +1 if you are in favor of adding support for color emoji in Xubuntu.

To participate in this vote, you must be part of Xubuntu Team [3]. Please reply to this list with +1 to approve, -1 to reject, or 0 to abstain.

[1] http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/xubuntu-devel/2019/xubuntu-devel.2019-06-14-22.00.log.html#l-121
(heh, even the logs render color emoji at 22:45)

[2] https://imgur.com/a/UJgtYt1

[3] https://launchpad.net/~xubuntu-team

Many thanks,

Sean Davis (bluesabre)
Xubuntu Technical Lead

Re: [TEAM VOTE] Adding support for color emoji to Xubuntu

Pasi Lallinaho-3
Since I'm an old fart that would prefer no emojis at all, -1 from me. ;)

Cheers,
Pasi

--
Pasi Lallinaho (knome)         › https://open.knome.fi/
Xubuntu Website Lead           › https://xubuntu.org/

Re: [TEAM VOTE] Adding support for color emoji to Xubuntu

Sean Davis
So far we are:

+1 from me
+1 from Simon
-1 from Pasi
+0 from David

Can we get more votes from the team? :-)