Team Vote - Minimal Install Option on ISO

Team Vote - Minimal Install Option on ISO

Sean Davis
Hello everyone,

On our November 23rd meeting we discussed including a minimal install option on the installation ISO. This option would add a new checkbox to the installation wizard to install a subset of our packages, emulating a "Xubuntu Core" experience on the standard size ISO.

This is now ready for a team vote. Please reply with +1, +0, or -1.
To have a vote that counts you need to be in the Xubuntu Team [1]

Re: Team Vote - Minimal Install Option on ISO

Simon Steinbeiss
+0

(while I really like to provide a minimal iso the current solution sort of defeats the purpose because the download and install size requirements initially remain the same as packages are only stripped down to "minimal" after the installation is complete)

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 12:02 PM Sean Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

On our November 23rd meeting we discussed including a minimal install option on the installation ISO. This option would add a new checkbox to the installation wizard to install a subset of our packages, emulating a "Xubuntu Core" experience on the standard size ISO.

This is now ready for a team vote. Please reply with +1, +0, or -1.
To have a vote that counts you need to be in the Xubuntu Team [1]

Re: Team Vote - Minimal Install Option on ISO

David Pires
+1 on adding the minimal option
On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 at 11:02, Sean Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> On our November 23rd meeting we discussed including a minimal install option on the installation ISO. This option would add a new checkbox to the installation wizard to install a subset of our packages, emulating a "Xubuntu Core" experience on the standard size ISO.
>
> This is now ready for a team vote. Please reply with +1, +0, or -1.
> To have a vote that counts you need to be in the Xubuntu Team [1]
>
> Many Thanks,
> Sean
>
> [1] https://launchpad.net/~xubuntu-team

Re: Team Vote - Minimal Install Option on ISO

dave@reklan.co.uk
+1

Sent from my Huawei Mobile

On our November 23rd meeting we discussed including a minimal install option on the installation ISO. This option would add a new checkbox to the installation wizard to install a subset of our packages, emulating a "Xubuntu Core" experience on the standard size ISO.

This is now ready for a team vote. Please reply with +1, +0, or -1.
To have a vote that counts you need to be in the Xubuntu Team [1]

Re: Team Vote - Minimal Install Option on ISO

flocculant
On 27/11/2018 11:01, Sean Davis wrote:
Hello everyone,

On our November 23rd meeting we discussed including a minimal install option on the installation ISO. This option would add a new checkbox to the installation wizard to install a subset of our packages, emulating a "Xubuntu Core" experience on the standard size ISO.

This is now ready for a team vote. Please reply with +1, +0, or -1.
To have a vote that counts you need to be in the Xubuntu Team [1]

I'm +0 on this.

Really don't like that we've been forced into not doing what we want.

Kev

Re: Team Vote - Minimal Install Option on ISO

Aaron Franke

-1

The default Xubuntu installation is already fairly minimal. I'm not really opposed to it, but I'm voting against it because the work is probably better spent on other features.

What would be excluded in a minimal install? LibreOffice? Many small things?

On Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 12:50:20 PM EST, flocculant <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 27/11/2018 11:01, Sean Davis wrote:
Hello everyone,

On our November 23rd meeting we discussed including a minimal install option on the installation ISO. This option would add a new checkbox to the installation wizard to install a subset of our packages, emulating a "Xubuntu Core" experience on the standard size ISO.

This is now ready for a team vote. Please reply with +1, +0, or -1.
To have a vote that counts you need to be in the Xubuntu Team [1]

I'm +0 on this.

Really don't like that we've been forced into not doing what we want.

Kev

Re: Team Vote - Minimal Install Option on ISO

Pasi Lallinaho-3
-1

I agree with the arguments made by Simon.

By doing the "minimal" installation this way, we're also passing the "do what you don't want to do" -situation (mentioned by Kev) for our users, because who would want to download the full ISO to get a lighter experience?

Cheers,
Pasi

Pasi Lallinaho (knome)         › https://open.knome.fi/
Xubuntu Website Lead           › https://xubuntu.org/
Xfce contributor               › https://xfce.org/
Shimmer Project co-founder     › https://shimmerproject.org/

Re: Team Vote - Minimal Install Option on ISO

Sean Davis
-1

I agree with the opinion several of you have expressed, we've done the work to make Xubuntu Core a reality, so we shouldn't accept a watered down version of it.

With 10 people in team, this does not pass with the two +1's, two -1's, and two +0's that we have

For the record:

David Pearson (axkwi-dave): +1

David Pires (slickymaster): +1

Kev (flocculant): +0