Thanks to everyone who joined us for Ubuntu Love Day Manila 2008!

Thanks to everyone who joined us for Ubuntu Love Day Manila 2008!

Jerome Gotangco-2
This email is overdue, but I have reasons (I currently have
pharyngitis), but I personally want to thank everyone who joined us
last Saturday, Aug. 23, 2008 at UP Diliman. 50+ people came in
attendance and we had some prizes and was even able to treat everyone
for lunch thanks to the Department of Computer Science and the Y4IT
organizers.

You can check out the slides of the presenters at
http://www.slideshare.net/jgotangco/slideshows and some video clips at
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/barcamp-manila I have 9GB worth of video
of the whole event, but that would take time for me to edit and place
somewhere.

Here are some pictures taken by Ben Canlas:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?pa...6&id=677221339 If anyone here
in the list has pictures from the event as well, please post them and
let us know.

I also thank the speakers of the event: Charo Nuguid, Wallen Tan,
Rowen Remis Iral, members of UnPLUG, Aileen Apolo, Jay Aguilar, and
Juan Carlos Torres. I'm sure you guys have more fans now than ever
before.

Finally, many thanks to Myra Jill Siason of UP DILC for leading in the
organization of this event. Without her, there would be no Ubuntu Love
Day Manila 2008 (it was her idea in the first place), as well as the
members of the UP Linux Users Group for volunteering on the logistics
and organization of the event.

--
Jerome

Re: Thanks to everyone who joined us for Ubuntu Love Day Manila 2008!

Dong Calmada
Great to hear that, Jerome (that the event was successful). But not
great to hear that you're down with that disease. Get well soon. (And
advance happy birthday!)

As sicknesses are ones of the reasons why we can't attend events, I
had to rush my son to the clinic on Saturday. So I, an Ubuntu lover
myself, did miss the event. But my spirit was with you.

Kudos to the organizers and participants.

Dong

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Jerome Gotangco <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This email is overdue, but I have reasons (I currently have
> pharyngitis), but I personally want to thank everyone who joined us
> last Saturday, Aug. 23, 2008 at UP Diliman. 50+ people came in
> attendance and we had some prizes and was even able to treat everyone
> for lunch thanks to the Department of Computer Science and the Y4IT
> organizers.
>
> You can check out the slides of the presenters at
> http://www.slideshare.net/jgotangco/slideshows and some video clips at
> http://www.ustream.tv/channel/barcamp-manila I have 9GB worth of video
> of the whole event, but that would take time for me to edit and place
> somewhere.
>
> Here are some pictures taken by Ben Canlas:
> http://www.facebook.com/album.php?pa...6&id=677221339 If anyone here
> in the list has pictures from the event as well, please post them and
> let us know.
>
> I also thank the speakers of the event: Charo Nuguid, Wallen Tan,
> Rowen Remis Iral, members of UnPLUG, Aileen Apolo, Jay Aguilar, and
> Juan Carlos Torres. I'm sure you guys have more fans now than ever
> before.
>
> Finally, many thanks to Myra Jill Siason of UP DILC for leading in the
> organization of this event. Without her, there would be no Ubuntu Love
> Day Manila 2008 (it was her idea in the first place), as well as the
> members of the UP Linux Users Group for volunteering on the logistics
> and organization of the event.
>
> --
> Jerome

My Work: peace.net.ph
My Advocacies:
 linux.org.ph
 bukas.kom.ph
 activism102.wordpress.com
My Facebook Profile:
 Facebook Profile:
 http://www.facebook.com/people/Dong_Calmada/653756853
GPG Key: 0xA4DC0797
Linux Registered User #317296

Re: Thanks to everyone who joined us for Ubuntu Love Day Manila 2008!

Rom Feria
Don't forget the ACM UP Student Chapter.

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Dong Calmada <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great to hear that, Jerome (that the event was successful). But not
great to hear that you're down with that disease. Get well soon. (And
advance happy birthday!)

As sicknesses are ones of the reasons why we can't attend events, I
had to rush my son to the clinic on Saturday. So I, an Ubuntu lover
myself, did miss the event. But my spirit was with you.

Kudos to the organizers and participants.

Dong

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Jerome Gotangco <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This email is overdue, but I have reasons (I currently have
> pharyngitis), but I personally want to thank everyone who joined us
> last Saturday, Aug. 23, 2008 at UP Diliman. 50+ people came in
> attendance and we had some prizes and was even able to treat everyone
> for lunch thanks to the Department of Computer Science and the Y4IT
> organizers.
>
> You can check out the slides of the presenters at
> http://www.slideshare.net/jgotangco/slideshows and some video clips at
> http://www.ustream.tv/channel/barcamp-manila I have 9GB worth of video
> of the whole event, but that would take time for me to edit and place
> somewhere.
>
> Here are some pictures taken by Ben Canlas:
> http://www.facebook.com/album.php?pa...6&id=677221339 If anyone here
> in the list has pictures from the event as well, please post them and
> let us know.
>
> I also thank the speakers of the event: Charo Nuguid, Wallen Tan,
> Rowen Remis Iral, members of UnPLUG, Aileen Apolo, Jay Aguilar, and
> Juan Carlos Torres. I'm sure you guys have more fans now than ever
> before.
>
> Finally, many thanks to Myra Jill Siason of UP DILC for leading in the
> organization of this event. Without her, there would be no Ubuntu Love
> Day Manila 2008 (it was her idea in the first place), as well as the
> members of the UP Linux Users Group for volunteering on the logistics
> and organization of the event.
>
> --
> Jerome

My Work: peace.net.ph
My Advocacies:
 linux.org.ph
 bukas.kom.ph
 activism102.wordpress.com
My Facebook Profile:
 Facebook Profile:
 http://www.facebook.com/people/Dong_Calmada/653756853
GPG Key: 0xA4DC0797
Linux Registered User #317296

--
Prof. Rommel P. Feria
Apple Distinguished Educator / Sun Java Champion

Department of Computer Science
University of the Philippines - Diliman
Quezon City 1101 Philippines
Tel/Fax: +63 2 434 3877

Re: Thanks to everyone who joined us for Ubuntu Love Day Manila 2008!

Bugzilla from carlosdgtorres@gmail.com

No, thank you, Kuya Jerome! Without your initiative and dedication, this event would have never materialized. I hope that it inspires our local community into active participation as well.

Thank you also for inviting me as a speaker. Unfortunately, I don't have fans (yet).

Btw, here are some (not so good quality) pictures from me: http://jucato.org/gallery/v/photos/ubuntu-love-day-2008/

Thanks again Kuya Jerome. And get well soon! :)

--

Juan Carlos G. Torres

Jucato

1024D/6F507597

Re: Thanks to everyone who joined us for Ubuntu Love Day Manila 2008!

I uploaded some photos from the event as well, here is the link
Actually, I was waiting for Jerome's email. Thought that I would send him the photos for him to post. Anyway, get well soon Jerome and thank you for organizing the event. I learned more than I expected. Hope to see you again next time. Are you coming to SFD2008?

To all the speakers, Thanks a lot guys, especially to Mam Charo. meron na akong USB Ubuntu Live ^_^

I also have some video clips but I haven't got the time to transfer edit it yet.

Troy Frederick Lim

Chief Operations Officer

Cavite People's Digital Empowerment Multi-Purpose Cooperative

Board Member

Head - Technical Innovation Advisory Committee

Internet Cafe Association of Imus Inc.

Member

Ubuntu Team Philippines

<A href="ymsgr:call?+639152056731" rel=nofollow>+639152056731

<A style="COLOR: rgb(127,63,0)" href="skype:troy_lim?voicemail" target=_blank rel=nofollow>Leave me a voicemail

<A href="ymsgr:sendIM?troy_lim" rel=nofollow>Y! Messenger

The box said 'You need Windows Vista or better' .... so I installed Ubuntu.

...¸ __/ /\____ ____
,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l±±±± |
¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°As for me
and my house, we will serve the Lord

Great to hear that, Jerome (that the event was successful). But not
great to hear that you're down with that disease. Get well soon. (And
advance happy birthday!)

As sicknesses are ones of the reasons why we can't attend events, I
had to rush my son to the clinic on Saturday. So I, an Ubuntu lover
myself, did miss the event. But my spirit was with you.

Kudos to the organizers and participants.

Dong

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Jerome Gotangco <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This email is overdue, but I have reasons (I currently have
> pharyngitis), but I personally want to thank everyone who joined us
> last Saturday, Aug. 23, 2008 at UP Diliman. 50+ people came in
> attendance and we had some prizes and was even able to treat everyone
> for lunch thanks to the Department of Computer Science and the Y4IT
> organizers.
>
> You can check out the slides of the presenters at
> http://www.slideshare.net/jgotangco/slideshows and some video clips at
> http://www.ustream.tv/channel/barcamp-manila I have 9GB worth of video
> of the whole event, but that would take time for me to edit and place
> somewhere.
>
> Here are some pictures taken by Ben Canlas:
> http://www.facebook.com/album.php?pa...6&id=677221339 If anyone here
> in the list has pictures from the event as well, please post them and
> let us know.
>
> I also thank the speakers of the event: Charo Nuguid, Wallen Tan,
> Rowen Remis Iral, members of UnPLUG, Aileen Apolo, Jay Aguilar, and
> Juan Carlos Torres. I'm sure you guys have more fans now than ever
> before.
>
> Finally, many thanks to Myra Jill Siason of UP DILC for leading in the
> organization of this event. Without her, there would be no Ubuntu Love
> Day Manila 2008 (it was her idea in the first place), as well as the
> members of the UP Linux Users Group for volunteering on the logistics
> and organization of the event.
>
> --
> Jerome

My Work: peace.net.ph
My Advocacies:
linux.org.ph
bukas.kom.ph
activism102.wordpress.com
My Facebook Profile:
Facebook Profile:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Dong_Calmada/653756853
GPG Key: 0xA4DC0797
Linux Registered User #317296

Re: Thanks to everyone who joined us for Ubuntu Love Day Manila 2008!

Jerome Gotangco-2
> I uploaded some photos from the event as well, here is the link
> http://picasaweb.google.com/lim.troy/UbuntuLoveDay
> Actually, I was waiting for Jerome's email. Thought that I would send him
> the photos for him to post. Anyway, get well soon Jerome and thank you for
> organizing the event. I learned more than I expected. Hope to see you again
> next time. Are you coming to SFD2008?

Thanks, I still owe you an email ;-) I started feeling bad Sunday
morning and wasn't able to do anything at all, hence the delay. Thanks
for the pics, I'll just grab them from your picasaweb album and put it
in my flickr album as well (with your credits).

Let's see if I can join SFD (I think its in Makati right Rick?). I
have a busy week ahead and next - hopefully I won't get sick again!

--
Jerome

Re: Thanks to everyone who joined us for Ubuntu Love Day Manila 2008!

Jerome Gotangco
On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Jerome Gotangco <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Finally, many thanks to Myra Jill Siason of UP DILC for leading in the
> organization of this event. Without her, there would be no Ubuntu Love
> Day Manila 2008 (it was her idea in the first place), as well as the
> members of the UP Linux Users Group for volunteering on the logistics
> and organization of the event.

Ah crap, I forgot to mention the UP ACM group
(http://www.upacm.org/blog/) played a major role in mobilization and
logistics for the event. My apologies, antibiotics still swimming in
my brain while composing this email ;-) Guys, thank you very much. I
didn't get the time to thank everyone personally, but if you need
something that I can help with, do let me know.

--
Jerome

Re: Thanks to everyone who joined us for Ubuntu Love Day Manila 2008!

Jerome Gotangco-2
On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Jerome Gotangco <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Finally, many thanks to Myra Jill Siason of UP DILC for leading in the
> organization of this event. Without her, there would be no Ubuntu Love
> Day Manila 2008 (it was her idea in the first place), as well as the
> members of the UP Linux Users Group for volunteering on the logistics
> and organization of the event.

Ah crap, I forgot to mention the UP ACM group
(http://www.upacm.org/blog/) played a major role in mobilization and
logistics for the event. My apologies, antibiotics still swimming in
my brain while composing this email ;-) Guys, thank you very much. I
didn't get the time to thank everyone personally, but if you need
something that I can help with, do let me know.

Jerome

Re: Thanks to everyone who joined us for Ubuntu Love Day Manila 2008!

Ariel Betan
Hi Jerome

The Organizers of Y4IT: UP IT Training Center and the UP System IT Foundation were the ones who provided lunch. :)

[...]

Happiness is not a destination ... Its a journey
Everyday is a good day!
Ariel S. Betan
University of the Philippines
Linux Counter Reg. Linux User # 146358
Linux Professional Institute # LPI000121339
http://free-ur-minds.com/yel
http://www.linkedin.com/in/arielbetan
https://launchpad.net/~yelbetan
OpenPGP Key: 0D55BF96

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Ariel Betan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The Organizers of Y4IT: UP IT Training Center and the UP System IT
> Foundation were the ones who provided lunch. :)

Arrghh I keep on messing this up! No cookie for me next time ;-)

Thanks for pointing this out Ariel!

--
Jerome

Re: Thanks to everyone who joined us for Ubuntu Love Day Manila 2008!

Ariel Betan
No problem. :)  You'll still have your cookie for a job well done.

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Jerome Gotangco <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Ariel Betan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The Organizers of Y4IT: UP IT Training Center and the UP System IT
> Foundation were the ones who provided lunch. :)

Arrghh I keep on messing this up! No cookie for me next time ;-)

Thanks for pointing this out Ariel!

Happiness is not a destination ... Its a journey
Everyday is a good day!
Ariel S. Betan
University of the Philippines
Linux Counter Reg. Linux User # 146358
Linux Professional Institute # LPI000121339
http://free-ur-minds.com/yel
http://www.linkedin.com/in/arielbetan
https://launchpad.net/~yelbetan
OpenPGP Key: 0D55BF96

Re: Thanks to everyone who joined us for Ubuntu Love Day Manila 2008!

Allan E. Registos

Hello anyone...
Glad to know that there are events like this in the country.
Should this same event be available in Davao?
;)

Cheers....

> <!-- DIV {margin:0px;} --> I am a fan ^_^. Good day sir!
>
> God bless!
> *-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

> **Troy Frederick Lim*
>
> Chief Operations Officer
>
> Cavite People's Digital Empowerment Multi-Purpose Cooperative
> <http:///>
>
> *Board Member*
>
> Head - Technical Innovation Advisory Committee
>
> Internet Cafe Association of Imus Inc.
> <http://icaii.homelinux.net/>
>
> *Member*
>
> Ubuntu Team Philippines
> <https://launchpad.net/~loco-philippine-team/+members>
>

> troy_lim[at]yahoo[dot]com <mailto:[hidden email]>
> lim.troy[at]gmail[dot]com <mailto:[hidden email]>
> lim_troy[at]hotmail[dot]com <mailto:[hidden email]>
> lim.troy[at]gmx[dot]com <mailto:[hidden email]> *+639152056731
> <ymsgr:call?+639152056731>*
>
> *Leave me a voicemail* <skype:troy_lim?voicemail>
>
> *Y! Messenger <ymsgr:sendIM?troy_lim>*
>
> **
>
> *The box said 'You need Windows Vista or better' .... so I
> installed Ubuntu <http://www.ubuntu.com/>.
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------*
>

> *...¸ __/ /\____ ____* *,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\* *```)¨(´´´ | |
> me and my house, we will serve the Lord** ***
>

> ----- Original Message ---- From: Juan Carlos Torres
> <[hidden email]> To: Mailing List para sa Ubuntu
> Pilipinas (Philippines) <[hidden email]> Sent:
> Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:37:19 PM Subject: Re: [Ubuntu-PH]
> Thanks to everyone who joined us for Ubuntu Love Day Manila 2008!
>
> p, li {white-space:pre-wrap;}
>
> No, thank you, Kuya Jerome! Without your initiative and dedication,
>  this event would have never materialized. I hope that it inspires
> our local community into active participation as well.
>
> Thank you also for inviting me as a speaker. Unfortunately, I don't
>  have fans (yet).
>
> Btw, here are some (not so good quality) pictures from me:
> http://jucato.org/gallery/v/photos/ubuntu-love-day-2008/
>
> Thanks again Kuya Jerome. And get well soon! :)
>
> --
>
> Juan Carlos G. Torres
>
> Jucato
>
> 1024D/6F507597

- --
Get Firefox 3! <http://www.spreadfirefox.com/node&id=184130&t=1>

Re: Thanks to everyone who joined us for Ubuntu Love Day Manila 2008!

Jerome Gotangco-2
On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Allan E. Registos
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello anyone...
> Glad to know that there are events like this in the country.
> Should this same event be available in Davao?

Hi Allan,

It shouldn't be hard on your side to organize such an event. We
organized the whole thing in a month and everything was volunteer
driven. The only thing we paid for were the tarps and transportation
of the volunteers. The rest were kindly provided by UP and the
respective head at no cost. Since we didn't pay for anything, we
didn't charge for anything either. We did offer stickers for sale at
the event but that was used to cover the cost of the printing of the
tarp. And since we didn't have a lot of funds, we made sure to make
the event doable in half a day. If it was whole day, we would have
needed more funds.

As I explained it at the start of the event, its the 2nd time I
experimented with an event that is quickly organized with the least
amount of cost, and using a lot of web 2.0 tools and viral marketing
to reach the audience. So far it works - its tiring but very
fulfilling. I suggest you look into organizing an user driven event in
the future in Davao. If you need CDs, I think Zak can help or we can
request for more in a month's notice.

--
Jerome