The Dapper Drake

Nikolai Dunkel
To celebrate the opening of the Dapper repositories, I would like to
submit these  concepts:

http://art.ubuntu.com/backgrounds/ubuntu/70
http://art.ubuntu.com/backgrounds/ubuntu/69
http://art.ubuntu.com/backgrounds/ubuntu/68

This isnt too serious, just done quickly on my tablet, and I'm sure
most of you freedom/peace-concept loving guys will hate it, as I just
had some fun letting my imagination run wild, and made a evil duck, an
evil (cool?) drake. Thats the first connotation that entered my head,
i drew it, and now id like to share it with you.

It's quite clear to me that this isnt in line with the ubuntu
philosophy, i didnt mean it to be, but ubuntu is simply a great
operating system, and thats the only reason im using it, while being
no cooler than suse or debian or windows (only better…if you see my
point…). Maybe this will get people to consider changing that a bit. I
of course like the Ubuntu free/open motto, but I don't see that your
desktop has to be faceless/neutral/boring? because of that.

I've given up listening to people who want dumbed down cute ducklings
that i know everyone else is going to create. If you want cute drakes,
search for them elsewhere. As you all know, I don't like the
faceless/boring logo, so after my scandalous (?) ubuntu medicine mask,
which most people thought was too racy, I now bring you my next
(scandalous ?) entry...my dapper drake.

Think outside of the box, people, make some art with character!

--
https://wiki.ubuntu.com//UbuntuLogoMascotSuggestionMedicineMask

Re: The Dapper Drake

Nicholas Burman
I don't think the idea of the Ubuntu-Art list is to collect people's favourite desktops and share them, as entertaining as that is. We are looking for contributions to a distro that will be used by all kinds of people. Unfortunately, that means that artwork has to appeal to a common denominator, not an individuals taste. That is what we have to work with. If you give up listening to people, you won't be able to produce anything that would be acceptable by the client - the end user.
The challenge comes in working within fairly strict guidelines, not by just making whatever you like - that would be too easy! You can still make something edgy, creative and interesting while maintaining wide audience appeal.

Thanks for sharing your ideas - Nice job on the drawings.  I'm sure these designs look great on your desktop.

Nick
_____________________
www.nburmandesign.com
www.nickburman.com

On 7-Nov-05, at 4:00 AM, Nikolai Dunkel wrote:

[...]

volvoguy
On 11/7/05, Nicholas Burman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think the idea of the Ubuntu-Art list is to collect people's
> favourite desktops and share them, as entertaining as that is.

While I agree that every wallpaper doesn't need to be mentioned on the
list, we (the art team) DO need wallpapers for the calendar images. My
suggestion is to keep them either on art.ubuntu.com or on your own
personal page (or blog, or flickr, etc, etc). Then when the time
comes, we know exactly who to talk to and where to look for wallpapers
for Dapper.

Since I've been out of the loop, I'm not sure if we have editing
capabilities yet for the artists on art.ubuntu.com, but that would be
a good thing. You can also have a link to your own website in your
profile there, making it easier to find things and give people proper
credit.

Worst case scenario - if we can't edit the entries on art.ubuntu.com
and you can't find a place to host your images, I'd be happy to put
them on my own server. Because of my back problems it would probably
just mean dumping them in a directory for you to link to, but it would
be better than nothing.

> Thanks for sharing your ideas - Nice job on the drawings.  I'm sure these
> designs look great on your desktop.

Ditto. Nice illustrations! Since we have more time than we did for
Breezy, we can afford to do some experimenting with themes and such. I
personally can't get the image of Scrooge McDuck out of my head, but
I'm not in my right mind anyway. :-) Keep up the good work.

P.S. I'm not dead. :-) My spinal fusion went remarkably well, and I'm
moving around more now than I was able to for my previous (far less
invasive) discectomies. Life can't be easy though... I developed a
bacterial infection in my stomach about a week before surgery and the
meds to combat that are as rough on me as the surgery was. Doh! I'm
praying I'll be in good enough shape to enjoy our Thanksgiving dinner
coming up. :-) Thanks to everyone that was thinking about me during my
hospital stay.

--
Aaron

Ubuntu SVG Artwork - http://www.volvoguy.net/ubuntu

Re: The Dapper Drake

YetZero
I don't talk too much in this list, but I think I have an idea I can
share with you guys. About the Dapper Drake thing, I think your
concepts are really cool, Nikolai. In fact, I think all of them
represent exactly the mood. But my idea was more like having a cleaner
default desktop. Something that can be done for each release, like a
'identity' wallpaper. My idea is really simple, is just having the
Ubuntu logo, alongside an isotype (Does that word exist in english?)
showing the current release in the form of an icon. A black and
transparent simplified form of the current animal would be great. I
don't have where to post it right now to make the idea clearer, but
I'll do whenever I can.
It's just a proposal, the good thing about it is that the format can
be used for a lot of releases, and it doesn't have to be the default
desktop (I think the 'human' photography artwork is better for this),
but each release's identity wallpaper. What you guys think?

2005/11/7, Nikolai Dunkel <[hidden email]>:

> To celebrate the opening of the Dapper repositories, I would like to
> submit these  concepts:
>
> http://art.ubuntu.com/backgrounds/ubuntu/70
> http://art.ubuntu.com/backgrounds/ubuntu/69
> http://art.ubuntu.com/backgrounds/ubuntu/68
>
> This isnt too serious, just done quickly on my tablet, and I'm sure
> most of you freedom/peace-concept loving guys will hate it, as I just
> had some fun letting my imagination run wild, and made a evil duck, an
> evil (cool?) drake. Thats the first connotation that entered my head,
> i drew it, and now id like to share it with you.
>
> It's quite clear to me that this isnt in line with the ubuntu
> philosophy, i didnt mean it to be, but ubuntu is simply a great
> operating system, and thats the only reason im using it, while being
> no cooler than suse or debian or windows (only better…if you see my
> point…). Maybe this will get people to consider changing that a bit. I
> of course like the Ubuntu free/open motto, but I don't see that your
> desktop has to be faceless/neutral/boring? because of that.
>
> I've given up listening to people who want dumbed down cute ducklings
> that i know everyone else is going to create. If you want cute drakes,
> search for them elsewhere. As you all know, I don't like the
> faceless/boring logo, so after my scandalous (?) ubuntu medicine mask,
> which most people thought was too racy, I now bring you my next
> (scandalous ?) entry...my dapper drake.
>
> Think outside of the box, people, make some art with character!
>
> --
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com//UbuntuLogoMascotSuggestionMedicineMask

-Luis Santander

Re: Re: The Dapper Drake

YetZero
I did a mockup. No colors or photos yet. Here it is:
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/8274/ubuntuwallmockup0qz.png
The white text are explanations, the black text should come in the
wallpaper (don't really think it's a good idea, but it's already
there).
Oh, about the 'isotype' thing, that's because in design school we were
taught 'logotipo' (logotype in spanish) was the "text" part (like the
ubuntu title text), and 'isotipo' (that I tought was 'isotype') was
the graphical part (like the ubuntu three-people device). It's just a
word to make the difference, I think.
Thanks for answering, Paul :D

--
-Luis Santander

Re: The Dapper Drake

Luka Cehovin
hey hey ... i like it!

the drake logo is very nice (well perhaps the birds beak is too close to
the circle) ... perhaps the art team should have a meeting shortly to
discuss whether we embrace this logo as a kind-of-official...

will there be a svg version of the logo available shortly?

cheers,
-Luka

>I did a mockup. No colors or photos yet. Here it is:
>http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/8274/ubuntuwallmockup0qz.png
>The white text are explanations, the black text should come in the
>wallpaper (don't really think it's a good idea, but it's already
>there).
>Oh, about the 'isotype' thing, that's because in design school we were
>taught 'logotipo' (logotype in spanish) was the "text" part (like the
>ubuntu title text), and 'isotipo' (that I tought was 'isotype') was
>the graphical part (like the ubuntu three-people device). It's just a
>word to make the difference, I think.
>Thanks for answering, Paul :D

Re: The Dapper Drake

YetZero
Oh, thank you. But don't you think it's a bit too early to try to make
something official? It's just an idea yet, and it would need approval
by both the community and our art-director. Anyway, here's the svg
version (if the mail server is kind enough to handle it as an attached
file, I don't have hosting yet, sorry). Cheers.

--
-Luis Santander

ubuntuwallmockup.svg (34K) Download Attachment

Re: The Dapper Drake

Simon Pascal Klein
Hey all.

First off, lovely mockup there. I like it so much even how it is now. Got some
source files you could possibly share?

Secondly, addressing the meeting issue, how about an art team meeting in the
IRC channel sometime this weekend. It would be great if we could, for I think
we have a lot to talk about. It's probably best to start organising early in
the week, especially in regard to the meeting times.

Cheers,

Pascal Klein

On Tuesday 22 November 2005 10:10, Luka Cehovin wrote:

> hey hey ... i like it!
>
> the drake logo is very nice (well perhaps the birds beak is too close to
> the circle) ... perhaps the art team should have a meeting shortly to
> discuss whether we embrace this logo as a kind-of-official...
>
> will there be a svg version of the logo available shortly?
>
> cheers,
> -Luka
>
> >I did a mockup. No colors or photos yet. Here it is:
> >http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/8274/ubuntuwallmockup0qz.png
> >The white text are explanations, the black text should come in the
> >wallpaper (don't really think it's a good idea, but it's already
> >there).
> >Oh, about the 'isotype' thing, that's because in design school we were
> >taught 'logotipo' (logotype in spanish) was the "text" part (like the
> >ubuntu title text), and 'isotipo' (that I tought was 'isotype') was
> >the graphical part (like the ubuntu three-people device). It's just a
> >word to make the difference, I think.
> >Thanks for answering, Paul :D

Re: The Dapper Drake

Luka Cehovin
yes ... we definitely need a meeting. it is sad that the first (and
the last as far as i remember) meeting was a few months ago

... perhaps we can start collecting proposals for discussion ? (maybe
a special wiki page for this)
... and time  ... we need at least four or five ppl (one of them
should be volvoguy ...) to make some (quasi)democratic decisions

-Luka

> Secondly, addressing the meeting issue, how about an art team
> meeting in the
> IRC channel sometime this weekend. It would be great if we could,
> for I think
> we have a lot to talk about. It's probably best to start organising
> early in
> the week, especially in regard to the meeting times.

Re: The Dapper Drake

Simon Pascal Klein
I wholesomely agree, we need a fair few people there. Personally, 8+ would be
preferred, and we have that many people who are interested in Ubuntu artwork.
I think the attendance of volvoguy would be awesome. I would be happy to
arrange for the time to suitable for him to attend, because he is our current
art team leader. Volvoguy, you're not passing it on are you?

So, Saturday or Sunday? GMT? UTC?

Cheers,
Pascal Klein

On Tuesday 22 November 2005 20:52, Luka Čehovin wrote:

> yes ... we definitely need a meeting. it is sad that the first (and
> the last as far as i remember) meeting was a few months ago
>
> ... perhaps we can start collecting proposals for discussion ? (maybe
> a special wiki page for this)
> ... and time  ... we need at least four or five ppl (one of them
> should be volvoguy ...) to make some (quasi)democratic decisions
>

> -Luka
>
> > Secondly, addressing the meeting issue, how about an art team
> > meeting in the
> > IRC channel sometime this weekend. It would be great if we could,
> > for I think
> > we have a lot to talk about. It's probably best to start organising
> > early in
> > the week, especially in regard to the meeting times.

Re: The Dapper Drake

YetZero
What about setting a weekly meeting? You know, something like each
Thursday, or each Saturday, don't know, at some hour. Maybe that way
the team could become more active. Because I really think we could be
doing a lot more (or at least inform on what's happening behind the
scenes).
That's it.

PS. Someone could please help me out on knowing how to translate the
GMT times at my own local times? I have missed all the other meetings
because of that.
Thank you.

On 2005.11.23, at 0:09, YetZero wrote:

> What about setting a weekly meeting? You know, something like each
> Thursday, or each Saturday, don't know, at some hour.

well ... that is a bit too ambitious... lets settle on only one
meeting for now ...

> Maybe that way
> the team could become more active. Because I really think we could be
> doing a lot more (or at least inform on what's happening behind the
> scenes).

i concur

> PS. Someone could please help me out on knowing how to translate the
> GMT times at my own local times? I have missed all the other meetings
> because of that.

um ... what other meetingS? ... i can remember only one meeting :)

GMT translations: google is your friend - http://
wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/ ;)

-Luka

Re: The Dapper Drake

YetZero
Thanks Dylan, Nick and Luka for the help :)

--
Luis Santander