The DeBian Code and How to make multiple /dev/loops

The DeBian Code and How to make multiple /dev/loops

Ali Milis
Hello,

I would like to know, the proper way to create multiple loop devices.
(1)  Should I modify /dev/MAKEDEV. It seems that UBUNTU does not use
     "MAKEDEV" ?!
(2)  Or, should I modify "/etc/udev/links.conf" ; which has this
     following warning:
     "This file does not exist. Please do not ask the debian maintainer
      about it. You may use it to do strange and wonderful things, at
      your risk"

May I know if "/etc/udev/links.conf" is only a temporary solution?

regards,

--
Ali Milis.

Re: The DeBian Code and How to make multiple /dev/loops

Matthew Palmer-2
On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 06:03:52PM +0700, Ali Milis wrote:
> I would like to know, the proper way to create multiple loop devices.

I've always had them magically appear when I mount -o loop something.  You
can also create the pseudo-block device using losetup -f, if you'd prefer.

What you may be coming up against is the hard-coded limit to the number of
available loop devices in the device module.  Try loading the loop module
with max_loop=32 (the default is 8) and see if you get more loop devices.

- Matt

Re: The DeBian Code and How to make multiple /dev/loops

Ali Milis
>> I would like to know, the proper way to create multiple loop devices.
> I've always had them magically appear when I mount -o loop something.  You
> can also create the pseudo-block device using losetup -f, if you'd prefer.

My problem is that I put the loop devices into /etc/fstab,
so that users (not root) are allowed to mount loop devices
by symlinking their ISO images.

It seems that  the /dev/ directory is always rebuilt every
boot. Thus, which one is the proper way to add the
/dev/loop/X device files: modifying "/dev/MAKEDEV" or
using "/etc/udev/links.conf" ? Or, have I missed something
so  that additional /dev/loop/X files would appear
magically? How can I use losetup for /etc/fstab entries?

--
 Ali Milis.