The Ubuntu Backup Team

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The Ubuntu Backup Team

Sivan Greenberg
Hello Everybody!

  As some of you might have already noticed, there is a back-up program
available from universe called 'HUBackup'. This program is part of
recent efforts to make data preservation more nicely integrated into the
desktop, such that even our parents or children are able to preserve
their precious homework, important documents, personal settings, media
content and computer configuration.

   Making HUBackup a rocking desktop backup solution is only the first
goal. I would like us to reach the next level: providing rock solid,
tightly integrated and complete system disaster recovery solution,
suitable both to desktop /and/ server users. There should not be
scattered scripts, spread configuration files, complex command line
arguments to remember and no one standard system that makes it hard to
provide support.

To track, manage and compliment the these efforts we have created the
Ubuntu Backup Team[1]. This team will be responsible for:

  * Active development of hubackup[2]
  * bug triage and fixing[3].
  * Exploring related technologies, leverage them for our purposes.
  * Keep excellent contact with the community to make sure needs are
answered.
  * Communicate our efforts outside Ubuntu, making sure others are able
to reuse them to their benefit and joy[4].

As creating rocking backup solutions involves alot of different
technologies, care, thought and testing we need as many as working hands
we can get. Especially so as we would like to be to accomplish the first
goal for Feisty Fawn. I'd like to invite anybody interested to drop me
or Mario Danic (pygi @ freenode) a line on either #ubuntu-devel or
#ubuntu-desktop IRC channels over freenode and start contributing. Help
us on our journey to a safer tomorrow!

Thanks alot for your attention and see you there,

Sivan


---
[1]: https://launchpad.net/people/ubuntu-backup
[2]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HomeUserBackup
[3]: https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/hubackup/+bugs
[4]: Making sure Edubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu benefit from the efforts, and
upstream projects.


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
t u
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Ubuntu Backup Team

t u
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Sivan Greenberg wrote:
> Hello Everybody!
>
>   As some of you might have already noticed, there is a back-up program
> available from universe called 'HUBackup'. This program is part of
> recent efforts to make data preservation more nicely integrated into the
> desktop, such that even our parents or children are able to preserve
> their precious homework, important documents, personal settings, media
> content and computer configuration.

Thanks for the announcement. Can this following spec be relevant for
your group at all? I am guessing it is beyond your goals, but still
wanted to ask :)

spec: https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/system-restore

Thanks :)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2.2 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFFTnBVLM1JzWwJYEYRAiSnAJ9UMjSTbBPu1wnHr78TE2EQfb7NHgCfRj7i
QZZMJQxZzn3aZe9Uau94S5A=
=POSW
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Ubuntu Backup Team

Mario Đanić
Hey,

first of all, I'd like to thank for your interest in

> Thanks for the announcement. Can this following spec be relevant for
> your group at all? I am guessing it is beyond your goals, but still
> wanted to ask :)

The thing is that the features set, design and implementation ideas
past feisty currently exist only in my and Sivan's head. As noted in
announcement different levels of system recovery are surely part of
our goal as well. We've got some very nice ideas for the future, and
we'll make sure to talk with everyone interested whetever our ideas
are in "par" with your visions and needs. Community matters.

Kind regards,
Mario

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Ubuntu Backup Team

Joel Bryan Juliano
In reply to this post by Sivan Greenberg
I remember some time, some deranged and confused kid make something like this, hahaha :-)

Hubackup is a nice work!

How do I join?

Regards,
Joel
--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Ubuntu Backup Team

Erast Benson
In reply to this post by Sivan Greenberg
On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 00:40 +0200, Sivan Greenberg wrote:

> Hello Everybody!
>
>   As some of you might have already noticed, there is a back-up program
> available from universe called 'HUBackup'. This program is part of
> recent efforts to make data preservation more nicely integrated into the
> desktop, such that even our parents or children are able to preserve
> their precious homework, important documents, personal settings, media
> content and computer configuration.
>
>    Making HUBackup a rocking desktop backup solution is only the first
> goal. I would like us to reach the next level: providing rock solid,
> tightly integrated and complete system disaster recovery solution,
> suitable both to desktop /and/ server users. There should not be
> scattered scripts, spread configuration files, complex command line
> arguments to remember and no one standard system that makes it hard to
> provide support.
>
> To track, manage and compliment the these efforts we have created the
> Ubuntu Backup Team[1]. This team will be responsible for:
>
>   * Active development of hubackup[2]
>   * bug triage and fixing[3].
>   * Exploring related technologies, leverage them for our purposes.

I would recommend also to take a look on MacOSX "The time machine"
backup system: http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/timemachine.html
to get some ideas of ideal backup solution.

>   * Keep excellent contact with the community to make sure needs are
> answered.
>   * Communicate our efforts outside Ubuntu, making sure others are able
> to reuse them to their benefit and joy[4].
>
> As creating rocking backup solutions involves alot of different
> technologies, care, thought and testing we need as many as working hands
> we can get. Especially so as we would like to be to accomplish the first
> goal for Feisty Fawn. I'd like to invite anybody interested to drop me
> or Mario Danic (pygi @ freenode) a line on either #ubuntu-devel or
> #ubuntu-desktop IRC channels over freenode and start contributing. Help
> us on our journey to a safer tomorrow!
>
> Thanks alot for your attention and see you there,
>
> Sivan
>
>
> ---
> [1]: https://launchpad.net/people/ubuntu-backup
> [2]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HomeUserBackup
> [3]: https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/hubackup/+bugs
> [4]: Making sure Edubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu benefit from the efforts, and
> upstream projects.
>
>
--
Erast


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Ubuntu Backup Team

Sivan Greenberg
Hi Erast!

Erast Benson wrote:
> I would recommend also to take a look on MacOSX "The time machine"
> backup system: http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/timemachine.html
> to get some ideas of ideal backup solution.
>

Some time ago I played with using bzr to be able to go back and forth on
revisions of system configuration files and data. We could through a UI
on top of it to enable users to actively mark restore points , or use
some hook such that it would be configurable to have bzr take automatic
snapshots of system areas before dist-upgrades, problematic package
installs, running community scripts etc.

Sivan

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Ubuntu Backup Team

Chris Budden
On 11/6/06, Sivan Greenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Erast!
>
> Erast Benson wrote:
> > I would recommend also to take a look on MacOSX "The time machine"
> > backup system: http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/timemachine.html
> > to get some ideas of ideal backup solution.
> >
>
> Some time ago I played with using bzr to be able to go back and forth on
> revisions of system configuration files and data. We could through a UI
> on top of it to enable users to actively mark restore points , or use
> some hook such that it would be configurable to have bzr take automatic
> snapshots of system areas before dist-upgrades, problematic package
> installs, running community scripts etc.
>
> Sivan
>
> --
> ubuntu-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
>

Something I thought of whilst using hubackup today.
It could do with a way of showing the user what file it is backing up
at the moment, and how long is left.  I noticed that you can see what
file is being added to the archive if you use it via the terminal, but
something like an "Advanced" screen would be helpful.

Chris

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Ubuntu Backup Team

Sebastian Heinlein
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1
 
Chris Budden schrieb:
> On 11/6/06, Sivan Greenberg [hidden email] wrote:
>> Hi Erast!
>>
>> Erast Benson wrote:
>>> I would recommend also to take a look on MacOSX "The time machine"
>>> backup system: http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/timemachine.html
>>> to get some ideas of ideal backup solution.
>>>
>> Some time ago I played with using bzr to be able to go back and forth on
>> revisions of system configuration files and data. We could through a UI
>> on top of it to enable users to actively mark restore points , or use
>> some hook such that it would be configurable to have bzr take automatic
>> snapshots of system areas before dist-upgrades, problematic package
>> installs, running community scripts etc.
>>
>> Sivan
>>
>> --
>> ubuntu-devel mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
>>
>
> Something I thought of whilst using hubackup today.
> It could do with a way of showing the user what file it is backing up
> at the moment, and how long is left.  I noticed that you can see what
> file is being added to the archive if you use it via the terminal, but
> something like an "Advanced" screen would be helpful.
>
> Chris
>

Please fill bug reports/wishlist items in Launchpad against hub. This
helps to get the whole discussion in one central point and to decrease
the traffic of this general development list.

There is no need for an extra window or terminal output. Every GNOME
progress bar has got an action label beneath the the progress bar.
This is where the information should be shown. Furthermore the place
for the remaining time would be the progress bar itself.

Cheers,

Sebastian
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
 
iD8DBQFFUufieujorJNMItURAr8sAJ45q/UCYG3ysX1t0myCDQCqzUK/BACffcMm
rZdcAUelxeXgn9encKcrm0o=
=JMrP
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Ubuntu Backup Team

Sivan Greenberg
In reply to this post by Chris Budden
Hi Chris!

Chris Budden wrote:
>
> Something I thought of whilst using hubackup today.
> It could do with a way of showing the user what file it is backing up

This should actually be apparent on the hubackup UI, although could use
some improvements as when the file name is too long it will get cut to
the right of the text label used to show which file is being worked on
at a given moment.

 > at the moment, and how long is left.  I noticed that you can see what
 > file is being added to the archive if you use it via the terminal, but
 > something like an "Advanced" screen would be helpful.

I have planned for this since I begun implementing hubackup - but I
decided to drop it out since making a user wait for scanning the source
location and it's sub folders seems just unfair, would you be willing to
sacrifice the time that would be required in order to scan the source
path (remember it might be even your entire home) just to be able to see
how many files are left?

Sivan

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Ubuntu Backup Team

Chris Budden
Sivan ,
 
Perhaps something like /home/user/....../folder/file.png could be used just so the user knows the file it is on.
 
 
Could something work out approximatly the amount of time left for the backup.

Also, could you make it fully automated.  During a backup I left on overnight, when I went to the machine in the morning I found a prompt asking me to click ok to verify the backup.  Could this be set before you start the backup so if you leave the backup running, when it is done, it is done?
 
Thanks
 
Chris
On 11/14/06, Sivan Greenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Chris!

Chris Budden wrote:
>
> Something I thought of whilst using hubackup today.
> It could do with a way of showing the user what file it is backing up

This should actually be apparent on the hubackup UI, although could use
some improvements as when the file name is too long it will get cut to
the right of the text label used to show which file is being worked on
at a given moment.

> at the moment, and how long is left.  I noticed that you can see what
> file is being added to the archive if you use it via the terminal, but
> something like an "Advanced" screen would be helpful.

I have planned for this since I begun implementing hubackup - but I
decided to drop it out since making a user wait for scanning the source
location and it's sub folders seems just unfair, would you be willing to
sacrifice the time that would be required in order to scan the source
path (remember it might be even your entire home) just to be able to see
how many files are left?

Sivan


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Ubuntu Backup Team

Sivan Greenberg
Chris Budden wrote:
> Sivan *,*
>  
> Perhaps something like /home/user/....../folder/file.png could be used
> just so the user knows the file it is on.

File a bug in launchpad and add your suggestion there.
>  
>  
> Could something work out approximatly the amount of time left for the
> backup.

I can't think of anything off-hand that would be as accurate as counting
the source size (e.g. summing up file sizes recursively underneath the
source path) , does anyone have a better suggestion?

>
> Also, could you make it fully automated.  During a backup I left on
> overnight, when I went to the machine in the morning I found a prompt
> asking me to click ok to verify the backup.  Could this be set before
> you start the backup so if you leave the backup running, when it is
> done, it is done?
>  

This is a gain a bug report, rather then development discussion, please
file as such in launchpad to get full attention and response.

Cheers!

Sivan

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Ubuntu Backup Team

Matthew Paul Thomas
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On Nov 15, 2006, at 4:51 AM, Sivan Greenberg wrote:
> ...
>> Could something work out approximatly the amount of time left for the
>> backup.
>
> I can't think of anything off-hand that would be as accurate as
> counting the source size (e.g. summing up file sizes recursively
> underneath the source path) , does anyone have a better suggestion?
> ...

You should be doing that pre-flighting anyway -- otherwise how can you
tell whether the files selected for backup will fit on the backup
medium in the first place?

Or more accurately, a standard graphical file move/copy library should
be doing that pre-flighting, and both Nautilus and hubackup should be
using that library.

Cheers
- --
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (Darwin)

iD8DBQFFYrmu6PUxNfU6ecoRAsPUAJ9wZjhXWsHO413EWgnyoE5XCyuquQCcDYHO
BEQx4GojQDCLlxKpMcPA6Jg=
=MZhN
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel