The transition to add support for Python 3.6 is beginning

The transition to add support for Python 3.6 is beginning

Michael Hudson-Doyle
Hi everyone,

The process of adding Python 3.6 as a supported version has begun.

The transition tracker is here:

and I'm currently working my way down the list.

I did a test rebuild of all/most dependent packages in a ppa:

And compiled some terse notes on the failures here:

And help resolving the failures would be appreciated (especially pandas!)

Cheers,
mwh

Re: The transition to add support for Python 3.6 is beginning

Michael Hudson-Doyle
Hi all,

An update on the transition to Python 3.6: Python 3.6 is now a supported version in artful release, and almost all packages that build C extensions have been rebuilt (pandas is still a problem).

We have created a PPA where python3.6 is the default and rebuilt all python packages: https://launchpad.net/~canonical-foundations/+archive/ubuntu/python3.6-as-default/+packages and the next step is to fix all the failures this reveals.  The initial failing source packages are listed in http://paste.ubuntu.com/24903638/ although some of those have been fixed now.

Once the failures are accounted for, we can flip the switch to make python 3.6 the default in the archive.

Cheers,
mwh

On 12 May 2017 at 11:29, Michael Hudson-Doyle <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

The process of adding Python 3.6 as a supported version has begun.

The transition tracker is here:

and I'm currently working my way down the list.

I did a test rebuild of all/most dependent packages in a ppa:

And compiled some terse notes on the failures here:

And help resolving the failures would be appreciated (especially pandas!)

Cheers,
mwh

Re: The transition to add support for Python 3.6 is beginning

Christian Ehrhardt
Hi Michael,
thanks for all the work on this.
I checked packages in your list that I often touch and found openvswitch:

It fails with:

Copying ovs.egg-info to /<<PKGBUILDDIR>>/debian/python3-openvswitch/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/ovs-2.7.0.egg-info
Skipping SOURCES.txt
running install_scripts
/bin/sh: 2: cd: can't cd to python
debian/rules:84: recipe for target 'override_dh_install' failed

That is [1] that I fixed in [2].
In general I wonder, other than your work of fixing these issues one-by-one, will you just re-upload new versions of the remaining failed packages iteratively every now and then to see things if like that resolved? Or do you need us other devs to notify you in any known case?
[1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openvswitch/+bug/1691658
[2]: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openvswitch/2.7.0-0ubuntu2

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 5:13 AM, Michael Hudson-Doyle <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Software Engineer, Ubuntu Server
Canonical Ltd

On 21 June 2017 at 15:13, Michael Hudson-Doyle <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

An update on the transition to Python 3.6: Python 3.6 is now a supported version in artful release, and almost all packages that build C extensions have been rebuilt (pandas is still a problem).

We have created a PPA where python3.6 is the default and rebuilt all python packages: https://launchpad.net/~canonical-foundations/+archive/ubuntu/python3.6-as-default/+packages and the next step is to fix all the failures this reveals.  The initial failing source packages are listed in http://paste.ubuntu.com/24903638/ although some of those have been fixed now.

The 100 or so failures are now summarised in https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Y8dy5cyu8DrmTvT4CNSaVSP2ZZT79sYhT_rAQ19bFUQ/edit?usp=sharing, please do check if any packages you care about are on the list and fix any that you can see how to. Uploading fixes direct to the archive is preferred, but if you lack the rights to do that, attaching a bug to a debdiff and subscribe me (mwhudson on lp) and I'll sponsor it v. quickly!

Cheers,
mwh

Cheers,
mwh

On 12 May 2017 at 11:29, Michael Hudson-Doyle <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

The process of adding Python 3.6 as a supported version has begun.

The transition tracker is here:

and I'm currently working my way down the list.

I did a test rebuild of all/most dependent packages in a ppa:

And compiled some terse notes on the failures here:

And help resolving the failures would be appreciated (especially pandas!)

Cheers,
mwh

Re: The transition to add support for Python 3.6 is beginning

Barry Warsaw-2
Thanks for working on this Michael.

On Jun 29, 2017, at 10:43 AM, Michael Hudson-Doyle wrote:

>The 100 or so failures are now summarised in
>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Y8dy5cyu8DrmTvT4CNSaVSP2ZZT79sYhT_rAQ19bFUQ/edit?usp=sharing,
>please do check if any packages you care about are on the list and fix any
>that you can see how to. Uploading fixes direct to the archive is preferred,
>but if you lack the rights to do that, attaching a bug to a debdiff and
>subscribe me (mwhudson on lp) and I'll sponsor it v. quickly!

What's the process for claiming a package?  I want to keep lazr.config in the
archive, and I help maintain it both in Debian and upstream.  I'm motivated to
keep it working as it will soon be a dep of mailman3-core which should be
entering unstable soon-ish.

I'll probably look at nose and pyflakes as part of my normal DD workflow.

I'm not interested in system-image any more, but if someone else adopts it,
I'm happy to answer questions.

I've added some comments to the spreadsheet.

Cheers,
-Barry

On 29 June 2017 at 11:22, Barry Warsaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for working on this Michael.

Thanks for looking into it!

On Jun 29, 2017, at 10:43 AM, Michael Hudson-Doyle wrote:

>The 100 or so failures are now summarised in
>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Y8dy5cyu8DrmTvT4CNSaVSP2ZZT79sYhT_rAQ19bFUQ/edit?usp=sharing,
>please do check if any packages you care about are on the list and fix any
>that you can see how to. Uploading fixes direct to the archive is preferred,
>but if you lack the rights to do that, attaching a bug to a debdiff and
>subscribe me (mwhudson on lp) and I'll sponsor it v. quickly!

What's the process for claiming a package?

Good question. Making a comment makes sense. I've just sent you an invitation to edit, and am happy to do so for anyone else who is interested.

I want to keep lazr.config in the
archive, and I help maintain it both in Debian and upstream.  I'm motivated to
keep it working as it will soon be a dep of mailman3-core which should be
entering unstable soon-ish.

Fair enough, I've removed it's threat of removal :-)

I'll probably look at nose and pyflakes as part of my normal DD workflow.

I've uploaded the new pyflakes to Ubuntu but if you upload it to unstable & sync it that would make me happy :)

I'm not interested in system-image any more, but if someone else adopts it,
I'm happy to answer questions.

I've added some comments to the spreadsheet.

Thanks!

Cheers
mwh

Re: The transition to add support for Python 3.6 is beginning

Łukasz 'sil2100' Zemczak
Hey!

On 29 June 2017 at 02:34, Michael Hudson-Doyle
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29 June 2017 at 11:22, Barry Warsaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for working on this Michael.
>

> Thanks for looking into it!
>

>> On Jun 29, 2017, at 10:43 AM, Michael Hudson-Doyle wrote:
>>
>> >The 100 or so failures are now summarised in

>> >please do check if any packages you care about are on the list and fix
>> > any
>> >that you can see how to. Uploading fixes direct to the archive is
>> > preferred,
>> >but if you lack the rights to do that, attaching a bug to a debdiff and
>> >subscribe me (mwhudson on lp) and I'll sponsor it v. quickly!
>>
>> What's the process for claiming a package?
>

> Good question. Making a comment makes sense. I've just sent you an
> invitation to edit, and am happy to do so for anyone else who is interested.
>

>> I want to keep lazr.config in the
>> archive, and I help maintain it both in Debian and upstream.  I'm
>> motivated to
>> keep it working as it will soon be a dep of mailman3-core which should be
>> entering unstable soon-ish.
>

> Fair enough, I've removed it's threat of removal :-)
>

>> I'll probably look at nose and pyflakes as part of my normal DD workflow.
>

> I've uploaded the new pyflakes to Ubuntu but if you upload it to unstable &
> sync it that would make me happy :)
>

>> I'm not interested in system-image any more, but if someone else adopts
>> it,
>> I'm happy to answer questions.

Since I'm still 'supporting' the server-side of system-image I could
potentially adopt it, but maybe it'd be better to just mark it for
removal? There are no real live consumers of these packages in Ubuntu
vivid+.

>> I've added some comments to the spreadsheet.
>

> Thanks!
>
> Cheers
> mwh

Łukasz 'sil2100' Zemczak
 Foundations Team
 [hidden email]
 www.canonical.com

Re: The transition to add support for Python 3.6 is beginning

Barry Warsaw
On Jun 28, 2017, at 07:22 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>I want to keep lazr.config in the archive, and I help maintain it both in
>Debian and upstream.

I'd forgotten that I had released a new upstream version a while ago, and had
an update sitting in my Debian packaging git repo waiting for the Stretch
release.  I just uploaded lazr.config 2.2-1 to unstable so after this winds
its way through the system, it should be all good.

Cheers,
-Barry

Re: The transition to add support for Python 3.6 is beginning

Steve Langasek-6
On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 11:51:20AM +0200, Lukasz Zemczak wrote:

> >> I'm not interested in system-image any more, but if someone else adopts
> >> it, I'm happy to answer questions.

> Since I'm still 'supporting' the server-side of system-image I could
> potentially adopt it, but maybe it'd be better to just mark it for
> removal? There are no real live consumers of these packages in Ubuntu
> vivid+.

Please file for its removal; this isn't part of the architecture for
anything shipping post-vivid, we would expect any new products needing
software in this space to be using snapd instead.

Ubuntu Developer                                    http://www.debian.org/

Yeah, it's all good so long as we don't rebuild lazr.delegates thanks to https://github.com/pypa/setuptools/issues/912 related fun...

On Jul 12, 2017, at 07:33 AM, Michael Hudson-Doyle wrote:

>Yeah, it's all good so long as we don't rebuild lazr.delegates thanks to
>https://github.com/pypa/setuptools/issues/912 related fun...

Too true. :(

I haven't yet investigated the suggested linked to that issue, but if you have
the time and inclination, you might see if this helps.  E.g. is lazr.* using
these inconsistently?

https://bitbucket.org/ambv/configparser/issues/17/#comment-36669436

Cheers,
-Barry

On 12 July 2017 at 11:30, Barry Warsaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Jul 12, 2017, at 07:33 AM, Michael Hudson-Doyle wrote:

>Yeah, it's all good so long as we don't rebuild lazr.delegates thanks to
>https://github.com/pypa/setuptools/issues/912 related fun...

Too true. :(

I haven't yet investigated the suggested linked to that issue, but if you have
the time and inclination, you might see if this helps.  E.g. is lazr.* using
these inconsistently?

https://bitbucket.org/ambv/configparser/issues/17/#comment-36669436

Well they both do this:

try:
    import pkg_resources
    pkg_resources.declare_namespace(__name__)
except ImportError:
    import pkgutil
    __path__ = pkgutil.extend_path(__path__, __name__)

But both python3-lazr.delegates and python3-lazr.config Depend: on python3-pkg-resources, so the ImportError case should never occur...

On Jul 12, 2017, at 09:03 PM, Michael Hudson-Doyle wrote:

>> https://bitbucket.org/ambv/configparser/issues/17/#comment-36669436
>
>Well they both do this:
>
>try:
>    import pkg_resources
>    pkg_resources.declare_namespace(__name__)
>except ImportError:
>    import pkgutil
>    __path__ = pkgutil.extend_path(__path__, __name__)
>
>But both python3-lazr.delegates and python3-lazr.config Depend: on
>python3-pkg-resources, so the ImportError case should never occur...
So that's probably not what's going on. :(

-Barry

We've fixed many of these now, and I've uploaded the change to make python 3.6 the default version in artful. Next step is getting this to migrate, see http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/proposed-migration/artful/update_excuses.html#python3-defaults for that and please help fix anything that is preventing the migration (like whatever it is that breaks botch with python 3.6 as default...)

Cheers,
mwh

Re: The transition to add support for Python 3.6 is beginning

Khurshid Alam

Hi,

We've fixed many of these now, and I've uploaded the change to make python 3.6 the default version in artful. Next step is getting this to migrate, see http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/proposed-migration/artful/update_excuses.html#python3-defaults for that and please help fix anything that is preventing the migration (like whatever it is that breaks botch with python 3.6 as default...)

Cheers,
mwh

If I try to update from 3.5 to 3.6 (python3 & python3-minimal package), it tries to REMOVE following packages:

network-manager-pptp
gnome-session
unity-session
gvfs-backends
gnome-control-center
friendly-recovery
gnome-shell-extension-better-volume
gnome-shell-extension-dashtodock
ubuntu-app-launch
grub-customizer
python3-systemd
gnome-shell-extension-move-clock
ubuntu-system-service
policykit-1-gnome
update-manager
python3-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets
language-selector-common install
gnome-shell-extension-autohidetopbar
usb-creator-common
libubuntu-app-launch4
ubuntu-standard
plainbox-provider-resource-generic
libpython3.6 install
ubuntu-desktop
gnome-settings-daemon
python3 install
xdiagnose
usb-creator-gtk
rhythmbox-plugins install
libertine-xmir-tools
unity
network-manager-gnome
libcontent-hub0
iio-sensor-proxy
network-manager
packagekit-tools
software-properties-gtk
python3-uno
python3-plainbox
gnome-tweak-tool
checkbox-converged
unity-control-center
gnome-disk-utility
unity-greeter
indicator-session
nplan
apturl
ubuntu-minimal
nautilus-share
udisks2
gvfs-fuse
nautilus
plainbox-provider-checkbox
indicator-bluetooth
unity-control-center-signon
libpam-systemd
packagekit
indicator-datetime
rfkill
gnome-shell-extension-pixelsaver
gnome-applets
libubuntu-app-launch3-dev
policykit-1
gvfs
python3-aptdaemon
ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk
libnss-resolve
gnome-shell
dbus-user-session
aptdaemon
python3-checkbox-support
language-selector-gnome
synaptic
gnome-system-log
sessioninstaller
network-manager-pptp-gnome
update-notifier
gnome-session-flashback
gvfs-daemons
gnome-shell-extension-impatience
colord
mutter

Which basically removes everything. So How do I perform update without reinstalling the iso? Any idea?

Thanks/

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 10:37:10AM +0500, Khurshid Alam wrote:
> > We've fixed many of these now, and I've uploaded the change to make
> > python 3.6 the default version in artful. Next step is getting this to
> > migrate, see http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/proposed-migration/artful/update_excuses.html#python3-defaults
> > for that and please help fix anything that is preventing the migration
> > (like whatever it is that breaks botch with python 3.6 as default...)

> If I try to update from 3.5 to 3.6 (python3 & python3-minimal package), it
> tries to REMOVE following packages:

<snip>

> Which basically removes everything. So How do I perform update without
> reinstalling the iso? Any idea?

By waiting until this transition has landed in the artful release pocket.
No packages are guaranteed to be installable using the -proposed pocket at
any given point, and you should absolutely not be trying to upgrade a
desktop install against the -proposed pocket.

On 21 July 2017 at 15:36, Michael Hudson-Doyle <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

We are so very close to this.

The final barrier (assuming that the recently uploaded samba does not drag any new problems in) is that src:yara does not build on armhf. This turns out to be because the codebase is full of code that assumes unaligned access is OK, for example stuff like this https://github.com/VirusTotal/yara/blob/master/libyara/exec.c#L224 but also more subtly stuff like https://github.com/VirusTotal/yara/blob/master/libyara/scan.c#L409 (new_match is only guaranteed to be 4-byte-aligned and crashes when you access an 8 byte field).

This could all be fixed, I'm sure, but I don't know if upstream would be interested and at this stage I wonder if removing the package on armhf is more pragmatic. It has a few rdeps but not all that many. Thoughts?

Cheers,
mwh

Re: The transition to add support for Python 3.6 is beginning

Matthias Klose-6
On 26.07.2017 11:08, Michael Hudson-Doyle wrote:

> On 21 July 2017 at 15:36, Michael Hudson-Doyle <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>
>> On 29 June 2017 at 10:43, Michael Hudson-Doyle <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:

>>> The 100 or so failures are now summarised in
>>> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Y8dy5cyu8DrmTvT4CNSa
>>> VSP2ZZT79sYhT_rAQ19bFUQ/edit?usp=sharing, please do check if any
>>> packages you care about are on the list and fix any that you can see how
>>> to. Uploading fixes direct to the archive is preferred, but if you lack the
>>> rights to do that, attaching a bug to a debdiff and subscribe me (mwhudson
>>> on lp) and I'll sponsor it v. quickly!
>>>

>> We've fixed many of these now, and I've uploaded the change to make python
>> 3.6 the default version in artful. Next step is getting this to migrate,
>> see http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/proposed-
>> migration/artful/update_excuses.html#python3-defaults for that and please
>> help fix anything that is preventing the migration (like whatever it is
>> that breaks botch with python 3.6 as default...)
>>

> We are so very close to this.
>
> The final barrier (assuming that the recently uploaded samba does not drag
> any new problems in) is that src:yara does not build on armhf. This turns
> out to be because the codebase is full of code that assumes unaligned
> access is OK, for example stuff like this
> https://github.com/VirusTotal/yara/blob/master/libyara/exec.c#L224 but also
> more subtly stuff like
> https://github.com/VirusTotal/yara/blob/master/libyara/scan.c#L409
> (new_match is only guaranteed to be 4-byte-aligned and crashes when you
> access an 8 byte field).
>
> This could all be fixed, I'm sure, but I don't know if upstream would be
> interested and at this stage I wonder if removing the package on armhf is
> more pragmatic. It has a few rdeps but not all that many. Thoughts?

now reported upstream and in Debian, and uploaded to artful to ignore the test
results on armhf; at least you won't see these on a 32bit kernel.