Third party kernel modules in Ubuntu

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Third party kernel modules in Ubuntu

Stan-18
Looks like I need to use a 3rd party (source) module to support the
wireless interface in my Compaq N401C.

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to do the :The Ubuntu Way"?

Thanks.

--
U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong Terror
- New York Times 9/3/1967

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Third party kernel modules in Ubuntu

Daniel T Chen
On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 01:03:03PM -0500, stan wrote:
> Looks like I need to use a 3rd party (source) module to support the
> wireless interface in my Compaq N401C.
>
> Can anyone point me in the direction of how to do the :The Ubuntu Way"?

Install build-essential, linux-headers-$(uname -r), and gcc-3.4. Make
sure you use gcc-3.4 to compile the module.
--
Daniel T. Chen            [hidden email]
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Third party kernel modules in Ubuntu

Derek Broughton-2
In reply to this post by Stan-18
stan wrote:

> Looks like I need to use a 3rd party (source) module to support the
> wireless interface in my Compaq N401C.
>
> Can anyone point me in the direction of how to do the :The Ubuntu Way"?

Not without knowing what kind of wireless NIC it has.  Most laptops have
multiple options.
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Third party kernel modules in Ubuntu

Stan-18
In reply to this post by Daniel T Chen
On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 11:25:27AM -0800, [hidden email] wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 01:03:03PM -0500, stan wrote:
> > Looks like I need to use a 3rd party (source) module to support the
> > wireless interface in my Compaq N401C.
> >
> > Can anyone point me in the direction of how to do the :The Ubuntu Way"?
>
> Install build-essential, linux-headers-$(uname -r), and gcc-3.4. Make
> sure you use gcc-3.4 to compile the module.


I've installed these packages. Now I'm trying to figure out how to use gcc
3.4 I would have thought I could use update-alternatives to chnage the gcc
symlink, but it does not seem to offer that alternative.

--
U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong Terror
- New York Times 9/3/1967

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Third party kernel modules in Ubuntu

Thomas Kaiser (ubuntu)
stan wrote:

 > I've installed these packages. Now I'm trying to figure out how to
use gcc
 > 3.4 I would have thought I could use update-alternatives to chnage
the gcc
 > symlink, but it does not seem to offer that alternative.
 >
You could manually change the symlinks. Or set the correct gcc version
in the Makefile.

Regards, Thomas


--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Third party kernel modules in Ubuntu

Stan-18
On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 04:21:55PM +0100, Thomas Kaiser (ubuntu) wrote:

> stan wrote:
>
> > I've installed these packages. Now I'm trying to figure out how to
> use gcc
> > 3.4 I would have thought I could use update-alternatives to chnage
> the gcc
> > symlink, but it does not seem to offer that alternative.
> >
> You could manually change the symlinks. Or set the correct gcc version
> in the Makefile.
>

Thanks, I woulnd up just setting the CC environment variable.

But, I would think this should be handled by update-alternatives, should'nt
it?
--
U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong Terror
- New York Times 9/3/1967

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users