Thunderbird Migration

Jack Jackson
Hi
I've moved my user account from one name to the other and would like to
move over my  mozilla thunderbird  accounts, address books and mail
filters ; I copied over .mozilla-thunderbird to no avail. What file does
Mozilla keep its filters in?

Re: Thunderbird Migration

Kush Singh
Unfortunately thunderbird in linux has less features than thunderbird in
windows (one can't import as many options as available under the windows
version)

WISHLIST--The developers need to be told to give an option for importing
mail, addressbook and settings from netscape/mozilla/outlook/outlook
express etc and thunderbird itself.

The mail is kept in .mozilla-thunderbird/somenumber.default/Mail
The addressbook is in .mozilla-thunderbird/somenumber.default/
The filters/settings should also be there somewhere  --make some new
filters and see which files get modified.
(ie sort by modification date)

Jack Jackson wrote:

> Hi
> I've moved my user account from one name to the other and would like
> to move over my  mozilla thunderbird  accounts, address books and mail
> filters ; I copied over .mozilla-thunderbird to no avail. What file
> does Mozilla keep its filters in?

Re: Thunderbird Migration

Larry Grover
Jack Jackson wrote:
> Hi
> I've moved my user account from one name to the other and would like to
> move over my  mozilla thunderbird  accounts, address books and mail
> filters ; I copied over .mozilla-thunderbird to no avail. What file does
> Mozilla keep its filters in?

On the system (5.10, breezy) I read my email on, the email filters
appear to be in:

~/.mozilla-thunderbird/*/Mail/<server name>/msgFilterRules.dat
~/.mozilla-thunderbird/*/ImapMail/<server name>/msgFilterRules.dat

These files are plain text, so you can easily read them and verify
that you have teh right files.

I think older versions of thunderbird stored these in ~/.thunderbird
(instead of ~/.mozilla-thunderbird), so you might check to make sure
you are copying *from* the correct location.

Also, you might find this link helpful:
http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile#move

Regards,
Larry