Thunderbird filtering problem

Scott-22
As I run both KDE and GNOME, I subscribe to both the kubuntu-users and
ubuntu-users lists.  Try as I might, I can't seem to get Thunderbird to
properly filter mail from both lists.   I have separate folders for each
and a filter set up to filter mail to each.

Despite this, I can never get the Kubuntu filter to work.  My Kubuntu
mail ends up in the Ubuntu folder. I've had this problem for ages. It
hasn't mattered what version of Thunderbird I've used, the problem has
always been there.

Is anyone else using Thunderbird and on both lists? Have you gotten
filters to work properly?  If so, how?

I'm on several dozen lists and the only one I have this problem with is
the Kubuntu list.  I'm sure it's because the word is about as close as
you can get to "Ubuntu".

Thanks.

--
Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com

Re: Thunderbird filtering problem

Martin J Hooper
Scott wrote:

> As I run both KDE and GNOME, I subscribe to both the kubuntu-users and
> ubuntu-users lists.  Try as I might, I can't seem to get Thunderbird to
> properly filter mail from both lists.   I have separate folders for each
> and a filter set up to filter mail to each.
>
> Despite this, I can never get the Kubuntu filter to work.  My Kubuntu
> mail ends up in the Ubuntu folder. I've had this problem for ages. It
> hasn't mattered what version of Thunderbird I've used, the problem has
> always been there.
>
> Is anyone else using Thunderbird and on both lists? Have you gotten
> filters to work properly?  If so, how?
>
> I'm on several dozen lists and the only one I have this problem with is
> the Kubuntu list.  I'm sure it's because the word is about as close as
> you can get to "Ubuntu".
>
> Thanks.

Does the lists have any special things in the header..?

I'm reading through gmane newsgroups...

Something like [kubuntu-users]  you could filter on that or on the mail
list from address...

Other than that no idea I'm afraid.

Re: Thunderbird filtering problem

L. Boggio
Le 16/12/05, Scott a dit :

> Despite this, I can never get the Kubuntu filter to work.  My Kubuntu
> mail ends up in the Ubuntu folder. I've had this problem for ages. It
> hasn't mattered what version of Thunderbird I've used, the problem has
> always been there.

Which filter did you set ?
something like "Return-path" contains
"ubuntu" which is set before the "Return-path" contains
"kubuntu" so all mails are trapped by the first filter ?

--
Ludovic Boggio
French Kubuntu 5.10 User, and proud of it !

Re: Thunderbird filtering problem

Andy Choens
On 12/16/05, Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As I run both KDE and GNOME, I subscribe to both the kubuntu-users and
> ubuntu-users lists.  Try as I might, I can't seem to get Thunderbird to
> properly filter mail from both lists.   I have separate folders for each
> and a filter set up to filter mail to each.
>
> Despite this, I can never get the Kubuntu filter to work.  My Kubuntu
> mail ends up in the Ubuntu folder. I've had this problem for ages. It
> hasn't mattered what version of Thunderbird I've used, the problem has
> always been there.
>
> Is anyone else using Thunderbird and on both lists? Have you gotten
> filters to work properly?  If so, how?

Disclaimer:  I don't use Thunderbird, but I was on both until I left
the Ubuntu list b/c of the high GNOME related traffic (nothing against
gnome, I just don't use it).  When I did this in KMAIL  I had to make
sure the kubuntu filter was run BEFORE the ubuntu filter was run.  In
KMail this is represented in a top --> bottom stack that orders your
filters, and you can raise or lower your filter according to your
needs.  If Thunderbird, can do this, make sure kubuntu gets run first
because a filter looking for kubuntu will ignore ubuntu, but not
vice-versa.

--andy

Re: Thunderbird filtering problem

Oscar Carlsson-2
I don't use thunderbird anymore (I use sylpheed, but the concepts are the same), but here is how I do it:
For the kubuntu mailing list, the rules is if a mail has [hidden email] as "To" or "CC", move it to the folder kubuntu-user, and the same method for [hidden email], but the mail is moved to ubuntu-user, instead.
Sylpheed also handles List-ID in a nice fashion, and it might be better than simply sorting by To or CC, since someone can have both [hidden email] and [hidden email] as recipient - and I'm sure thunderbird can handle it in some similar way.

Oscar

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:54:18 -0700
Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As I run both KDE and GNOME, I subscribe to both the kubuntu-users and
> ubuntu-users lists.  Try as I might, I can't seem to get Thunderbird to
> properly filter mail from both lists.   I have separate folders for each
> and a filter set up to filter mail to each.
>
> Despite this, I can never get the Kubuntu filter to work.  My Kubuntu
> mail ends up in the Ubuntu folder. I've had this problem for ages. It
> hasn't mattered what version of Thunderbird I've used, the problem has
> always been there.
>
> Is anyone else using Thunderbird and on both lists? Have you gotten
> filters to work properly?  If so, how?
>
> I'm on several dozen lists and the only one I have this problem with is
> the Kubuntu list.  I'm sure it's because the word is about as close as
> you can get to "Ubuntu".
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Scott
> www.angrykeyboarder.com
> © 2005 angrykeyboarder™ & Elmer Fudd. All Wights Wesewved

Re: Thunderbird filtering problem

Bugzilla from art.alexion@verizon.net
I too, stopped subscribing to the ubuntu-users list (check it
occasionally via gmane) because of the volume, but when I did the
following filters worked.

The first (that is, closer to the top, than the other) filter is "to or
cc is [hidden email]" and the second (again, just
relatively farther down) is "to or cc is
[hidden email]".  Works fine, and traps my "cc to self"
postings as well.

--

Art Alexion

PGP fingerprint: 52A4 B10C AA73 096F A661  92D2 3B65 8EAC ACC5 BA7A
The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c