Thunderbird on 20.10 is broken

Bret Busby-2
Hello.

I do not know whether the package maintainer(s) for Thunderbird for
Ubuntu, subscribe to this list, but, Thunderbird on UbuntuMATE 20.10
does not load, but instead, displays an error message;

"
XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
Location: chrome://messenger/content/messenger.xhtml
Line Number 905, Column 3:
  <key id="openLightningKey"
--^
"

Thunderbird running on UbuntuMATE 20.04, had not presented this problem.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

Re: Thunderbird on 20.10 is broken

Colin Law
On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 at 14:38, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I do not know whether the package maintainer(s) for Thunderbird for
> Ubuntu, subscribe to this list, but, Thunderbird on UbuntuMATE 20.10
> does not load, but instead, displays an error message;
>
> "
> XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
> Location: chrome://messenger/content/messenger.xhtml
> Line Number 905, Column 3:
>   <key id="openLightningKey"
> --^
> "

You can use
ubuntu-bug thunderbird
to report the problem.

Colin

Re: Thunderbird on 20.10 is broken

Peter Flynn
On 27/10/2020 14:36, Bret Busby wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I do not know whether the package maintainer(s) for Thunderbird for
> Ubuntu, subscribe to this list, but, Thunderbird on UbuntuMATE 20.10
> does not load, but instead, displays an error message;
>
> "
> XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
> Location: chrome://messenger/content/messenger.xhtml
> Line Number 905, Column 3:
>    <key id="openLightningKey"
> --^
> "
>
> Thunderbird running on UbuntuMATE 20.04, had not presented this
> problem.

What is the version of Thunderbird you have installed?

I'm running Thunderbird 68.10.0 under Mint 19 and there is no such file
as the one mentioned (in /usr/lib/thunderbird/defaults/messenger) and
not under ~/.thunderbird either).

Can you send me the file off-list? It's possible they have made an error
in the file — XHTML does not declare a <key> element type, so as it
stands the error is correct: it's undefined.

Peter

On 27/10/2020, Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27/10/2020 14:36, Bret Busby wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I do not know whether the package maintainer(s) for Thunderbird for
>> Ubuntu, subscribe to this list, but, Thunderbird on UbuntuMATE 20.10
>> does not load, but instead, displays an error message;
>>
>> "
>> XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
>> Location: chrome://messenger/content/messenger.xhtml
>> Line Number 905, Column 3:
>>    <key id="openLightningKey"
>> --^
>> "
>>
>> Thunderbird running on UbuntuMATE 20.04, had not presented this
>> problem.
>
> What is the version of Thunderbird you have installed?
>
> I'm running Thunderbird 68.10.0 under Mint 19 and there is no such file
> as the one mentioned (in /usr/lib/thunderbird/defaults/messenger) and
> not under ~/.thunderbird either).
>
> Can you send me the file off-list? It's possible they have made an error
> in the file — XHTML does not declare a <key> element type, so as it
> stands the error is correct: it's undefined.
>
> Peter

The version number is shown as 78.3.2 (64-bit)

On 27/10/2020, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 at 14:38, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I do not know whether the package maintainer(s) for Thunderbird for
>> Ubuntu, subscribe to this list, but, Thunderbird on UbuntuMATE 20.10
>> does not load, but instead, displays an error message;
>>
>> "
>> XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
>> Location: chrome://messenger/content/messenger.xhtml
>> Line Number 905, Column 3:
>>   <key id="openLightningKey"
>> --^
>> "
>>

> You can use
> ubuntu-bug thunderbird
> to report the problem.
>
> Colin

Hello.

Thank you for that - I was not previously aware of that facility.

I have applied the procedure.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

Re: Thunderbird on 20.10 is broken

Akash Rao
Link?

On 27/10/2020, Akash Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Link?
>
> On 27-Oct-2020 20:59, "Bret Busby" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > You can use
>> > ubuntu-bug thunderbird
>> > to report the problem.
>> >
>> > Colin
>> >

>> Hello.
>>
>> Thank you for that - I was not previously aware of that facility.
>>
>> I have applied the procedure.
>>
>> --
>> Bret Busby
>> Armadale
>> West Australia

?

Link for what?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

Re: Thunderbird on 20.10 is broken

Akash Rao
For the filed bug report

On 27-Oct-2020 9:34 PM, "Bret Busby" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 27/10/2020, Akash Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Link?
>
> On 27-Oct-2020 20:59, "Bret Busby" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > You can use
>> > ubuntu-bug thunderbird
>> > to report the problem.
>> >
>> > Colin
>> >

>> Hello.
>>
>> Thank you for that - I was not previously aware of that facility.
>>
>> I have applied the procedure.
>>
>> --
>> Bret Busby
>> Armadale
>> West Australia

?

Link for what?

On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 21:08:13 +0530, Akash Rao wrote:
>> On 27/10/2020, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > You can use
>> > ubuntu-bug thunderbird
>> > to report the problem.
>Link?

https://www.systutorials.com/docs/linux/man/1-ubuntu-bug/

SICR

Since you were top posting and your "sentence" is "Link?".

I guess you were not asking for the above link, the man page for the
command mentioned by Colin. You are probably asking for
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu , if so, you should be aware that you
might want to subscribe to "One account for everything on Ubuntu",
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_One .

Re: Thunderbird on 20.10 is broken

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 18:40:23 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>>Link?
>
>https://www.systutorials.com/docs/linux/man/1-ubuntu-bug/
>
>SICR
>
>Since you were top posting and your "sentence" is "Link?".
>
>I guess you were not asking for the above link, the man page for the
>command mentioned by Colin. You are probably asking for
>https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu , if so, you should be aware that you
>might want to subscribe to "One account for everything on Ubuntu",
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_One .

PS:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

FWIW I prefer to "manually" use bug trackers. Most likely still possible
for the Ubuntu bug tracker, too. At least a while back it could be done
by a browser, too, instead of command line.

On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 at 15:38, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I do not know whether the package maintainer(s) for Thunderbird for
> Ubuntu, subscribe to this list, but, Thunderbird on UbuntuMATE 20.10
> does not load, but instead, displays an error message;

Try turning off the welcome page?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1016648

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

On 27/10/2020 15:20, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 27/10/2020, Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]
>> I'm running Thunderbird 68.10.0 under Mint 19 and there is no such file
>> as the one mentioned (in /usr/lib/thunderbird/defaults/messenger) and
>> not under ~/.thunderbird either).
[...]
> The version number is shown as 78.3.2 (64-bit)

Thank you. Wow, Mint is so far behind :-)

Peter

Re: Thunderbird on 20.10 is broken

Peter Flynn
On 27/10/2020 15:20, Bret Busby wrote:
[...]
> The version number is shown as 78.3.2 (64-bit)

I had a look at the tar.bz2 distribution and there is no such file
included, so I am assuming it gets created at runtime.

Peter

On 28/10/2020, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 at 15:38, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I do not know whether the package maintainer(s) for Thunderbird for
>> Ubuntu, subscribe to this list, but, Thunderbird on UbuntuMATE 20.10
>> does not load, but instead, displays an error message;
>
> Try turning off the welcome page?
>
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1016648

Now, here's where the bug gets more complicated.

I went to that link, and tried to follow the instructions.

However, ...

For expediency, I had added the Thunderbird icon (along with various
others) to the panel, for quicker launching.

Upon right clicking (non-dominant mouse button) on the icon in the
panel, a menu is displayed, which has various options (of which I was
not previously aware), including Launch, Contacts, and Compose New
Message. The second and third of those, will load, and display, as
expected for normal operation. The first; Launch, fails, raising the
previously cited error message.

So, the only way to access the Edit -> Preferences , as described in
the article above, is to select the second or third of those menu
options.

But, for each of the second and third options, while selecting the
option, loads and displays, as expected for normal operation, upon
selecting the option, and then Edit, that reacts as expected, but, as
soon as Preferences is subsequently selected, the same error as
previously cited, is raised. The difference here, is that, upon
closing the error notification box, the option (Contacts or Compose
New Message) is still apparently operational, whereas, in trying to
load the Thunderbird application (as opposed to one of its functions),
the application crashes, or, fails to load, instead, only displaying
the error notification.

On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 at 19:36, Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you. Wow, Mint is so far behind :-)

Mint is based on 20.04 and I don't think they've got to 20.04.01 yet.

Be glad. Like Firefox Quantum, Thunderbird 78 drops support for XUL
extensions, so a lot of add-ons no longer work. This is why many
people are staying with 68 if they can...

On 28/10/2020, Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27/10/2020 15:20, Bret Busby wrote:
>> On 27/10/2020, Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
>>> I'm running Thunderbird 68.10.0 under Mint 19 and there is no such file
>>> as the one mentioned (in /usr/lib/thunderbird/defaults/messenger) and
>>> not under ~/.thunderbird either).
> [...]
>> The version number is shown as 78.3.2 (64-bit)
>
> Thank you. Wow, Mint is so far behind :-)
>
> Peter

I have just checked the Thunderbird version on my UbuntuMATE 16.04.x
(16.04.6 or 7, I think, completely updated), my primary system, upon
which I am accessing most of my gmail stuff, including writing most of
these gmail email messages, and, this Thunderbird version is the same
as on your Mint 19; 68.10.0, so, I assume that your Mint 19 is related
to Ubuntu 16.04; four years old, hence, the outdated version number of
your Thunderbird (and, the Thunderbird on my 16.04.x).

On 28/10/2020, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 28/10/2020, Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 27/10/2020 15:20, Bret Busby wrote:
>>> On 27/10/2020, Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> [...]
>> [...]
>>> The version number is shown as 78.3.2 (64-bit)
>>
>> Thank you. Wow, Mint is so far behind :-)
>>
>> Peter
>>

> I have just checked the Thunderbird version on my UbuntuMATE 16.04.x
> (16.04.6 or 7, I think, completely updated), my primary system, upon
> which I am accessing most of my gmail stuff, including writing most of
> these gmail email messages, and, this Thunderbird version is the same
> as on your Mint 19; 68.10.0, so, I assume that your Mint 19 is related
> to Ubuntu 16.04; four years old, hence, the outdated version number of
> your Thunderbird (and, the Thunderbird on my 16.04.x).

I appear to be wrong;

"Linux Mint 19 is based on Ubuntu 18.04"
- https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_tara_cinnamon.php

Depending on your circumstances and feelings, you might want to
upgrade to Ubuntu 20.10 - 20.10 appears to be (mostly) the bug fix
point release that 20.04.1 should have been (apart from this
Thunderbird problem).

Thunderbird 2 never seemed to have problems - it seemed to fly okay,
and do its job okay. And, it was that nice, dark green colour.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

Re: Thunderbird on 20.10 is broken

Peter Flynn
On 27/10/2020 19:07, Bret Busby wrote:
[...]
> Depending on your circumstances and feelings, you might want to
> upgrade to Ubuntu 20.10

Yes, it's on the schedule. It's on a sacrificial test machine; we keep
the production systems one major release behind until we finish testing.

[Mint 20 actually has a glaring bug in the installer timezone selector
that places Ireland in CET, meaning you have to click Lisbon instead of
Dublin. I was told not to report it "because the lead developer is in
Dublin and he's sure to notice" 😂 ]

Peter