TomTom on Ubuntu

LAMP-3
does anyone has any experience attaching TomTom GPS (my model is XL-S)
to the Ubuntu machine to be able to manage TomTom-s feature, do
update/upgrades etc.?

afan

Re: TomTom on Ubuntu

Mark Syms-2

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:01:24 -0500
> From: LAMP <[hidden email]>
> Subject: TomTom on Ubuntu
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <[hidden email]>
>
> does anyone has any experience attaching TomTom GPS (my model is XL-S)
> to the Ubuntu machine to be able to manage TomTom-s feature, do
> update/upgrades etc.?
>
> afan

Unfortunately, although the TomTom devices themselves run Linux the
management software is all Windows or Mac so you can't do anything with
them from within Ubuntu.

Regards,

Mark.

Re: TomTom on Ubuntu

LAMP-3
Mark Syms wrote:

>> Message: 2
>> Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:01:24 -0500
>> From: LAMP <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: TomTom on Ubuntu
>> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
>> <[hidden email]>
>>
>> does anyone has any experience attaching TomTom GPS (my model is XL-S)
>> to the Ubuntu machine to be able to manage TomTom-s feature, do
>> update/upgrades etc.?
>>
>> afan
>>

> Unfortunately, although the TomTom devices themselves run Linux the
> management software is all Windows or Mac so you can't do anything with
> them from within Ubuntu.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark.

What about other GPS brands? Magellan, Garmin,...? Any?

Looks like I have to switch back to dual boot just because of couple
issues still not solved in Linux. :-(

Thanks Mark.

Afan

Re: TomTom on Ubuntu

Chris Jones-8

> Looks like I have to switch back to dual boot just because of couple
> issues still not solved in Linux. :-(

What about running windows in a VM ?

Chris

Re: TomTom on Ubuntu

LAMP-3
Chris Jones wrote:
>> Looks like I have to switch back to dual boot just because of couple
>> issues still not solved in Linux. :-(
>>

> What about running windows in a VM ?
>
> Chris

I was thinking about dual boot on my eee pc 1000he. I don't think VM
will run ok on such a small machine?

Re: TomTom on Ubuntu

H.S.
LAMP wrote:

> Mark Syms wrote:
>>> Message: 2
>>> Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:01:24 -0500
>>> From: LAMP <[hidden email]>
>>> Subject: TomTom on Ubuntu
>>> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
>>> <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> does anyone has any experience attaching TomTom GPS (my model is XL-S)
>>> to the Ubuntu machine to be able to manage TomTom-s feature, do
>>> update/upgrades etc.?
>>>
>>> afan
>>>
>> Unfortunately, although the TomTom devices themselves run Linux the
>> management software is all Windows or Mac so you can't do anything with
>> them from within Ubuntu.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mark.
>
> What about other GPS brands? Magellan, Garmin,...? Any?
>
> Looks like I have to switch back to dual boot just because of couple
> issues still not solved in Linux. :-(

Yes, it just might what you have to do. But I would strongly recommend
bitching to TomTom people about this. After all they are ones providing
the software and are ignoring the Linux community. Complaining strongly
to them will at least put this in to their ears. Who knows, after enough
complaints it might actually go in to their heads.

Good luck.

ever having been read.

Re: TomTom on Ubuntu

Felipe DOMINGUEZ
hello

I am facing the same problem and I do believe that we have to complain. It is the only way they know there is a market out there  who want Linux.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 4:41 PM, H.S. <[hidden email]> wrote:
LAMP wrote:
> Mark Syms wrote:
>>> Message: 2
>>> Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:01:24 -0500
>>> From: LAMP <[hidden email]>
>>> Subject: TomTom on Ubuntu
>>> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
>>>     <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> does anyone has any experience attaching TomTom GPS (my model is XL-S)
>>> to the Ubuntu machine to be able to manage TomTom-s feature, do
>>> update/upgrades etc.?
>>>
>>> afan
>>>
>> Unfortunately, although the TomTom devices themselves run Linux the
>> management software is all Windows or Mac so you can't do anything with
>> them from within Ubuntu.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mark.
>
> What about other GPS brands? Magellan, Garmin,...? Any?
>
> Looks like I have to switch back to dual boot just because of couple
> issues still not solved in Linux. :-(

Yes, it just might what you have to do. But I would strongly recommend
bitching to TomTom people about this. After all they are ones providing
the software and are ignoring the Linux community. Complaining strongly
to them will at least put this in to their ears. Who knows, after enough
complaints it might actually go in to their heads.

Good luck.

ever having been read.

Jamón Ibérico de Bellota ( 3 años)
Entregas Gratuitas España, 15€ EU.
www.TuJamonEnCasa.com

Re: TomTom on Ubuntu

LAMP-3
Felipe DOMINGUEZ wrote:

> hello
>
> I am facing the same problem and I do believe that we have to
> complain. It is the only way they know there is a market out there
> who want Linux.
>

> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 4:41 PM, H.S. <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     LAMP wrote:
>     > Mark Syms wrote:
>     >>> Message: 2
>     >>> Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:01:24 -0500
>     >>> From: LAMP <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >>> Subject: TomTom on Ubuntu
>     >>> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
>     >>>     <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >>>
>     >>> does anyone has any experience attaching TomTom GPS (my model
>     is XL-S)
>     >>> to the Ubuntu machine to be able to manage TomTom-s feature, do
>     >>> update/upgrades etc.?
>     >>>
>     >>> afan
>     >>>
>     >> Unfortunately, although the TomTom devices themselves run Linux the
>     >> management software is all Windows or Mac so you can't do
>     anything with
>     >> them from within Ubuntu.
>     >>
>     >> Regards,
>     >>
>     >> Mark.
>     >
>     > What about other GPS brands? Magellan, Garmin,...? Any?
>     >
>     > Looks like I have to switch back to dual boot just because of couple
>     > issues still not solved in Linux. :-(
>
>     Yes, it just might what you have to do. But I would strongly recommend
>     bitching to TomTom people about this. After all they are ones
>     providing
>     the software and are ignoring the Linux community. Complaining
>     strongly
>     to them will at least put this in to their ears. Who knows, after
>     enough
>     complaints it might actually go in to their heads.
>
>     Good luck.
>

>     --
>
>     Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
>     newsgroup on gmane.org <http://gmane.org>. Replies sent to my
>     email address are just
>     filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted
>     without
>     ever having been read.
>

>     --

> Jamón Ibérico de Bellota ( 3 años)
> Entregas Gratuitas España, 15€ EU.
> www.TuJamonEnCasa.com <http://www.TuJamonEnCasa.com>

I just contacted them by contact form with this issue. Felipe, it's your
turn ;-)

Thanks,
Afan

Re: TomTom on Ubuntu

Chris Jones-8
LAMP wrote:

> Chris Jones wrote:
>>> Looks like I have to switch back to dual boot just because of couple
>>> issues still not solved in Linux. :-(
>>>
>> What about running windows in a VM ?
>>
>> Chris
>>

> I was thinking about dual boot on my eee pc 1000he. I don't think VM
> will run ok on such a small machine?

Probably not ideal. I think the biggest issue with VMs is the amount of
ram you can give it. How much do these things have ?

cheers Chris

Re: TomTom on Ubuntu

LAMP-3
Chris Jones wrote:

> LAMP wrote:

>>> What about running windows in a VM ?
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>

>> I was thinking about dual boot on my eee pc 1000he. I don't think VM
>> will run ok on such a small machine?
>>

> Probably not ideal. I think the biggest issue with VMs is the amount of
> ram you can give it. How much do these things have ?
>
> cheers Chris

it came with 1GB. I added 1GB - 2GB in total.

Re: TomTom on Ubuntu

Pastor JW-2
On Tuesday 16 June 2009 7:56:38 am Felipe DOMINGUEZ wrote:
> hello
>
> I am facing the same problem and I do believe that we have to complain. It
> is the only way they know there is a market out there  who want Linux.

I have complained to TomTom but they declare they have no intrest in
supporting Linux as "Linux users don't buy anything".  I replied that alot of
us had purchased TomTom GPS units and wished to interface with them using
their Linux machines, but then they never answered me anymore.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403

Re: TomTom on Ubuntu

LAMP-3
Pastor JW wrote:

> On Tuesday 16 June 2009 7:56:38 am Felipe DOMINGUEZ wrote:
>
>> hello
>>
>> I am facing the same problem and I do believe that we have to complain. It
>> is the only way they know there is a market out there  who want Linux.
>>

> I have complained to TomTom but they declare they have no intrest in
> supporting Linux as "Linux users don't buy anything".  I replied that alot of
> us had purchased TomTom GPS units and wished to interface with them using
> their Linux machines, but then they never answered me anymore.

What about Gemini, Magellan,... any other brand? The same story?

Re: TomTom on Ubuntu

H.S.
Pastor JW wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 June 2009 7:56:38 am Felipe DOMINGUEZ wrote:
>> hello
>>
>> I am facing the same problem and I do believe that we have to complain. It
>> is the only way they know there is a market out there  who want Linux.
>
> I have complained to TomTom but they declare they have no intrest in
> supporting Linux as "Linux users don't buy anything".  I replied that alot of

The problem is the current small size of Linux market. What they are
forgetting is that they are charging a lot for the device (or hardware)
itself. Down the line, if more users start buying devices that have
Linux support, or start *not* buying devices that do not support Linux,
I bet these same people will start supporting Linux as well.

Some vendors are already supporting Linux and even basing their hardware
on Linux. Examples (including Openmoko, zarus, android, etc.):
http://www.myzaurus.com/

Regards.

ever having been read.

Re: TomTom on Ubuntu

Chris Jones-42

> it came with 1GB. I added 1GB - 2GB in total.

Thats no so bad.... If you give the VM 1G that is more than enough for
XP with 1G left for your host system.

 From what you have already said, you need to add back dual boot,
which which means repartitioning etc... If I where you,  I would give
a VM a try first. It probably won't be screaming fast, but might just
be good enough to do what you want.

Chris

Re: TomTom on Ubuntu

Johnny Rosenberg
2009/6/16 Pastor JW <[hidden email]>:
> On Tuesday 16 June 2009 7:56:38 am Felipe DOMINGUEZ wrote:
>> hello
>>
>> I am facing the same problem and I do believe that we have to complain. It
>> is the only way they know there is a market out there  who want Linux.
>
> I have complained to TomTom but they declare they have no intrest in
> supporting Linux as "Linux users don't buy anything".

Astonishing! Linux users don't buy anything? I'm amazed… That's not
what I've seen. Windows users always crack things (or use other
people's cracks). At least Linux users use things that are free in the
first place… I have seen, on some computers forums, people asking for
free more or less video editing tools, and when they find one that can
do just about anything a pro will ever want, they complain that it's
not free…

I don't think it matter wether you are a Linux user or a Windows user
or a Mac user. Maybe you don't want to buy anything, maybe you do.

I have a Garmin GPS and I have to say that they aren't any better. No
Linux support what so ever, however you can move files just like any
USB stick or USB HDD. BUT if you want to update your maps, you can do
it by buying a SD card, and the cost is the same as if you downloaded
the update.

By the way, one strange thing is that when upgrading the GPS unit
(Garmin Nüvi 300) itself, it changed the translations (Swedish in my
case) to the worse. Before upgrade I really didn't have anything
specific to complain about, but after upgrade there were some very
strange translations and the translator didn't seem to have a clue
about the Swedish language… In at least one case they turned almost
perfect Swedish into some crap that was just no more than weird.

Johnny Rosenberg

2009/6/16 Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]>:

> 2009/6/16 Pastor JW <[hidden email]>:
>> On Tuesday 16 June 2009 7:56:38 am Felipe DOMINGUEZ wrote:
>>> hello
>>>
>>> I am facing the same problem and I do believe that we have to complain. It
>>> is the only way they know there is a market out there  who want Linux.
>>
>> I have complained to TomTom but they declare they have no intrest in
>> supporting Linux as "Linux users don't buy anything".
>
> Astonishing! Linux users don't buy anything? I'm amazed… That's not
> what I've seen. Windows users always crack things (or use other
> people's cracks). At least Linux users use things that are free in the
> first place… I have seen, on some computers forums, people asking for
> free more or less video editing tools, and when they find one that can
> do just about anything a pro will ever want, they complain that it's
> not free…

I don't know what happened there… here's the correct sentence:
”I have seen, on some computers forums, people asking for video
editing tools, and when they find one that can do just about anything
a pro will ever want, they complain that it's not free…”

Maybe I changed the structure of the sentence and then forgot to
remove some words… Sorry for being confusing.

Johnny Rosenberg

> I don't think it matter wether you are a Linux user or a Windows user
> or a Mac user. Maybe you don't want to buy anything, maybe you do.
>
> I have a Garmin GPS and I have to say that they aren't any better. No
> Linux support what so ever, however you can move files just like any
> USB stick or USB HDD. BUT if you want to update your maps, you can do
> it by buying a SD card, and the cost is the same as if you downloaded
> the update.
>
> By the way, one strange thing is that when upgrading the GPS unit
> (Garmin Nüvi 300) itself, it changed the translations (Swedish in my
> case) to the worse. Before upgrade I really didn't have anything
> specific to complain about, but after upgrade there were some very
> strange translations and the translator didn't seem to have a clue
> about the Swedish language… In at least one case they turned almost
> perfect Swedish into some crap that was just no more than weird.
>

> Johnny Rosenberg
>

>> I replied that alot of
>> us had purchased TomTom GPS units and wished to interface with them using
>> their Linux machines, but then they never answered me anymore.
>>

>> --
>> 73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
>> http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403

Re: TomTom on Ubuntu

Tony Baldwin
Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> 2009/6/16 Pastor JW <[hidden email]>:
>> On Tuesday 16 June 2009 7:56:38 am Felipe DOMINGUEZ wrote:
>>> hello
>>>
>>> I am facing the same problem and I do believe that we have to complain. It
>>> is the only way they know there is a market out there  who want Linux.
>> I have complained to TomTom but they declare they have no intrest in
>> supporting Linux as "Linux users don't buy anything".
>
> Astonishing! Linux users don't buy anything?

I buy stuff all the time...
soap, hamburgers, Brazilian coffee, music cds, cigarrettes, chocolate,
Linux t-shirts, strings for my guitar, mouthwash, books, etc., etc....

I just don't buy software.  Ever.
Why should I when I can software for all my needs for free!
Just to clarify, however, that I don't us FREE Software just to be a
cheapskate; I use it because I believe in FREEdom!  (And it's also
better software).
Although I do buy games for my daughter's NintendoDS system.  I suppose,
in that case, I am buying software.
I have't seen any FOSS for those machines...yet.

/tony
--
http://www.baldwinsoftware.com
free/open source software

Re: TomTom on Ubuntu

Franz Waldmüller
LAMP schrieb:
> Chris Jones wrote:
>> Probably not ideal. I think the biggest issue with VMs is the amount of
>> ram you can give it. How much do these things have ?

> it came with 1GB. I added 1GB - 2GB in total.

This should be plenty for a virtual machine.
I am using virtualbox and for some special task (like yours) I have XP
on a Laptop which only has 512MB of RAM.
In your case: tune the system on performance (Windows), turn of any eye
candy (if you this term is appropriate in connection with the luna
theme). Then the system should not use the pagefile.
For the USB-support you need the closed source version from
www.virtualbox.org
Wish you luck
Franz

Re: TomTom on Ubuntu

Fred Roller
On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 15:02 -0400, Tony Baldwin wrote:

> Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> >> I have complained to TomTom but they declare they have no intrest in
> >> supporting Linux as "Linux users don't buy anything".
> >
> > Astonishing! Linux users don't buy anything?
>
> I buy stuff all the time...
> soap, hamburgers, Brazilian coffee, music cds, cigarrettes, chocolate,
> Linux t-shirts, strings for my guitar, mouthwash, books, etc., etc....
>
> I just don't buy software.  Ever.
> Why should I when I can software for all my needs for free!
> Just to clarify, however, that I don't us FREE Software just to be a
> cheapskate; I use it because I believe in FREEdom!  (And it's also
> better software).
> Although I do buy games for my daughter's NintendoDS system.  I suppose,
> in that case, I am buying software.
> I have't seen any FOSS for those machines...yet.
>
> /tony
> --
> http://www.baldwinsoftware.com
> free/open source software
> tcl yer os with a feather...

It would seem to me that what needs to be asked is for TomTom to release
what is necessary to allow the community to develop it's own solution.
They are, after all, linux based.  This follows the spirit of "free
speech" vs "free beer".  It was this principal which attracted me to
linux in the first place.  If I couldn't find a solution the tools were
available to create a solution and in turn this solution would be
shared.  As a result of this sharing I don't pay for software very
often.  I do pay for services where needed and donate as well,
programmers need to eat too. ;)  Just a thought that an idea is waiting
to bloom here.

--
Fred R.
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like Linux, simple.  If you are fighting it, you are doing
something wrong."

Re: TomTom on Ubuntu

Franz Waldmüller
Pastor JW schrieb:

> I have complained to TomTom but they declare they have no intrest in
> supporting Linux as "Linux users don't buy anything".  I replied that alot of
> us had purchased TomTom GPS units and wished to interface with them using
> their Linux machines, but then they never answered me anymore.

A very good atitude: Using Linux for their products, but ignoring Linux
users.
I was considering to buy a TomTom for my parents. Thanks to your
investigation it won't be a TomTom. And if no vendor has Linux support I
will continue to use analog maps.
Franz