Tomahawk player status

Rik Mills-2
See bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1698063

"libechonest has been removed from Debian unstable, with the rationale
that it uses an external API that no longer exists (Debian bug #862551).
tomahawk-player depends on libechonest, which prevents libechonest's
removal.  Either the Kubuntu team needs to take responsibility for
libechonest and fix it so that it's usable, or tomahawk-player needs to
be fixed not to depend on it, or tomahawk-player needs to be removed
from the archive."

The player seems pretty dead upstream, and even has the commit in github:

https://github.com/tomahawk-player/tomahawk/commit/c8389592488c07079f40e7edb9195cfabbc58740

that to all effects it "is abandoned".

I've never had anything to do with this project, so I am asking for
opinions on continued 'fixing'

Ref kubuntu policy on unmaintained/dead upstream projects:

https://community.kde.org/Kubuntu/Policies#Unmaintained_Software_Bugs

Regards

Rik

CC: [hidden email]

Re: Tomahawk player status

Valorie Zimmerman
On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 1:17 AM, Rik Mills <[hidden email]> wrote:

> See bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1698063
>
> "libechonest has been removed from Debian unstable, with the rationale
> that it uses an external API that no longer exists (Debian bug #862551).
> tomahawk-player depends on libechonest, which prevents libechonest's
> removal.  Either the Kubuntu team needs to take responsibility for
> libechonest and fix it so that it's usable, or tomahawk-player needs to
> be fixed not to depend on it, or tomahawk-player needs to be removed
> from the archive."
>
> The player seems pretty dead upstream, and even has the commit in github:
>
> https://github.com/tomahawk-player/tomahawk/commit/c8389592488c07079f40e7edb9195cfabbc58740
>
> that to all effects it "is abandoned".
>
> I've never had anything to do with this project, so I am asking for
> opinions on continued 'fixing'
>
> Ref kubuntu policy on unmaintained/dead upstream projects:
>
> https://community.kde.org/Kubuntu/Policies#Unmaintained_Software_Bugs
>
> Regards
>
> Rik
>
> CC: [hidden email]

It was a great project for awhile, full of enthusiastic devels. Now it
is dead, so I vote for saying goodbye, and removing it from the
archive. If it returns from the dead, we can always bring it back as a
new project.

Valorie

Re: Tomahawk player status

Steve Langasek-6
On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 02:39:05PM -0700, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 1:17 AM, Rik Mills <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > See bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1698063

> > "libechonest has been removed from Debian unstable, with the rationale
> > that it uses an external API that no longer exists (Debian bug #862551).
> > tomahawk-player depends on libechonest, which prevents libechonest's
> > removal.  Either the Kubuntu team needs to take responsibility for
> > libechonest and fix it so that it's usable, or tomahawk-player needs to
> > be fixed not to depend on it, or tomahawk-player needs to be removed
> > from the archive."

> > The player seems pretty dead upstream, and even has the commit in github:

> > https://github.com/tomahawk-player/tomahawk/commit/c8389592488c07079f40e7edb9195cfabbc58740

> > that to all effects it "is abandoned".

> > I've never had anything to do with this project, so I am asking for
> > opinions on continued 'fixing'

> > Ref kubuntu policy on unmaintained/dead upstream projects:

> > https://community.kde.org/Kubuntu/Policies#Unmaintained_Software_Bugs

> It was a great project for awhile, full of enthusiastic devels. Now it
> is dead, so I vote for saying goodbye, and removing it from the
> archive. If it returns from the dead, we can always bring it back as a
> new project.

Thanks.  If this is the position of the Kubuntu team, can you please comment
to such on https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1698063 and retitle it as a
request for tomahawk-player's removal?

Ubuntu Developer                                    http://www.debian.org/