Total Mirror Size

Sajan Parikh-2
The wiki might be outdated, but I started syncing all of the currently supported items to put up a mirror for public use.  However, I filled the disk and don't think it completed.  Looking at building a new box for this and was wondering what the current total size is for all of the data needed for a public mirror?

--
Sajan Parikh
262.343.5973

Re: Total Mirror Size

Carsten Otto
On Mon, Sep 09, 2019 at 04:52:34PM -0500, Sajan Parikh wrote:
> The wiki might be outdated, but I started syncing all of the currently
> supported items to put up a mirror for public use.  However, I filled the
> disk and don't think it completed.  Looking at building a new box for this
> and was wondering what the current total size is for all of the data needed
> for a public mirror?

For archive.ubunt.com::ubuntu we have around 1.3 TByte on
ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de.

Best regards,
Carsten
--
Dr. Carsten Otto
http://verify.rwth-aachen.de/otto/

Re: Total Mirror Size

Peter Makk

Hi!

You can grab current size info from my mirror:

https://quantum-mirror.hu/web/distributions_en.html

Cheers,

Peter

On 9/9/19 11:52 PM, Sajan Parikh wrote:
The wiki might be outdated, but I started syncing all of the currently supported items to put up a mirror for public use.  However, I filled the disk and don't think it completed.  Looking at building a new box for this and was wondering what the current total size is for all of the data needed for a public mirror?

--
Sajan Parikh
262.343.5973

Re: Total Mirror Size

Sajan Parikh-2
I started syncing 4 different endpoints and filled up 2TB.  I browsed the list (after I posted of course), and found the following message that says over 5TB.

Is that accurate to hold everything required for a public mirror?

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 4:58 PM Carsten Otto <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 09, 2019 at 04:52:34PM -0500, Sajan Parikh wrote:
> The wiki might be outdated, but I started syncing all of the currently
> supported items to put up a mirror for public use.  However, I filled the
> disk and don't think it completed.  Looking at building a new box for this
> and was wondering what the current total size is for all of the data needed
> for a public mirror?

For archive.ubunt.com::ubuntu we have around 1.3 TByte on
ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de.

Best regards,
Carsten
--
Dr. Carsten Otto
http://verify.rwth-aachen.de/otto/

--
Sajan Parikh
262.343.5973

Re: Total Mirror Size

Haw Loeung
On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 12:02:30AM +0200, Peter Makk wrote:
> Hi!
>
> You can grab current size info from my mirror:
>
> https://quantum-mirror.hu/web/distributions_en.html

You can also get info on various sizes using 'rsync -v --dry-run'. e.g.:

| $ rsync -av --dry-run archive.ubuntu.com::ubuntu/ .

You'll get:

| sent 3,072,333 bytes  received 41,041,834 bytes  332,937.11 bytes/sec
| total size is 1,341,385,350,262  speedup is 30,407.13 (DRY RUN)

Regards,

Haw

Re: Total Mirror Size

Moshe M. Katz
Unless you have a very compelling need, there is probably no reason that you should mirror `old-releases`, which is the 4.2TB that they are talking about on the mailing list.
The whole point of them being moved to `old-releases` is that really no one should be using them anymore so they were moved away to a different location so that they would no longer need to take up space on other mirrors.

As others have said, the main `archive` site is 1.3TB, and the `releases` site is only another 19GB. Those are the only two that we have on mirror.umd.edu.

Like Peter said for his mirror, we also show the size of each distribution on our mirror homepage. Look at the end of each table row.

You should not need more than 2TB to hold everything required for a public mirror.

Moshe

--
Moshe Katz
[hidden email]