Transcription software?

David Fletcher-5
A friend has just been made redundant from her work and as a fall-back
position is thinking about using her typing skills to transcribe audio
recordings into text.

I've never been involved with this before but it seems to me what is
needed is something that plays audio with foot pedal control while
running a text editor at the same time.

Doing some digging, there's something called Express Scribe For Linux
http://www.winsite.com/Audio/Media-Players/Express-Scribe-For-Linux/
but I prefer to go to the Ubuntu repository.

Is there anything in the repository that does the job or anything else
that can be recommended?

Dave

Re: Transcription software?

JD-58

On 01/02/2013 12:47 PM, David Fletcher wrote:

> A friend has just been made redundant from her work and as a fall-back
> position is thinking about using her typing skills to transcribe audio
> recordings into text.
>
> I've never been involved with this before but it seems to me what is
> needed is something that plays audio with foot pedal control while
> running a text editor at the same time.
>
> Doing some digging, there's something called Express Scribe For Linux
> http://www.winsite.com/Audio/Media-Players/Express-Scribe-For-Linux/
> but I prefer to go to the Ubuntu repository.
>
> Is there anything in the repository that does the job or anything else
> that can be recommended?
>
> Dave

The best transcription SW I have come across is
www.nch.com.au/scribe/index.html
The SW is called Express Scribe
However, it is not free :(

Cheers,

JD

Re: Transcription software?

JD-58

On 01/02/2013 12:47 PM, David Fletcher wrote:

> A friend has just been made redundant from her work and as a fall-back
> position is thinking about using her typing skills to transcribe audio
> recordings into text.
>
> I've never been involved with this before but it seems to me what is
> needed is something that plays audio with foot pedal control while
> running a text editor at the same time.
>
> Doing some digging, there's something called Express Scribe For Linux
> http://www.winsite.com/Audio/Media-Players/Express-Scribe-For-Linux/
> but I prefer to go to the Ubuntu repository.
All you have to do is untar it and run
sh scribe
it will indeed belch out some errors, which do not seem
to prevent the gui from coming up.
It killer flaw is that it has the wrong value of the sound card hard coded.
To wit:
(scribe:8500): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Unable to get session bus:
The connection is closed
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1401:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card

> Is there anything in the repository that does the job or anything else
> that can be recommended?
None at this time, but I am sure there are individuals who will take note
of this and bring something into the repositories.

> Dave

Re: Transcription software?

David Fletcher-5
On Wed, 2013-01-02 at 14:40 -0700, JD wrote:

> The best transcription SW I have come across is
> www.nch.com.au/scribe/index.html
> The SW is called Express Scribe
> However, it is not free :(
>
> Cheers,
>
> JD

I'd already been there. Apart from payment there seems to be no Linux
version.

DF

Re: Transcription software?

David Fletcher-5
On Wed, 2013-01-02 at 15:13 -0700, JD wrote:
> > Is there anything in the repository that does the job or anything else
> > that can be recommended?
> None at this time, but I am sure there are individuals who will take note
> of this and bring something into the repositories.
> >
> > Dave

According to this:-
http://ask.slashdot.org/story/10/07/20/2213224/open-source-transcription-software
this:-
http://trans.sourceforge.net/en/presentation.php
was in the Ubuntu repository at the time, but not now it seems. I tried
aptitude search for all sorts but no luck. I think I might still have a
hard drive with Maverick installed on it. Could try that just for fun.

DF

Re: Transcription software?

JD-58

On 01/02/2013 03:48 PM, David Fletcher wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-01-02 at 15:13 -0700, JD wrote:
>>> Is there anything in the repository that does the job or anything else
>>> that can be recommended?
>> None at this time, but I am sure there are individuals who will take note
>> of this and bring something into the repositories.
>>> Dave
>>
> According to this:-
> http://ask.slashdot.org/story/10/07/20/2213224/open-source-transcription-software
> this:-
> http://trans.sourceforge.net/en/presentation.php
> was in the Ubuntu repository at the time, but not now it seems. I tried
> aptitude search for all sorts but no luck. I think I might still have a
> hard drive with Maverick installed on it. Could try that just for fun.
>
> DF

Hi David,

If you are not running 12.10, then you might be in luck.
Emphasis on 'might'.

Try

    *sudo add-apt-repository *ppa:frederik-elwert/transcribe* *
    *sudo apt-get update*
    *sudo apt-get install* *transcribe*

it will prompt you

Re: Transcription software?

Doug McGarrett
On 01/02/2013 04:40 PM, JD wrote:

> On 01/02/2013 12:47 PM, David Fletcher wrote:
>> A friend has just been made redundant from her work and as a fall-back
>> position is thinking about using her typing skills to transcribe audio
>> recordings into text.
>>
>> I've never been involved with this before but it seems to me what is
>> needed is something that plays audio with foot pedal control while
>> running a text editor at the same time.
>>
>> Doing some digging, there's something called Express Scribe For Linux
>> http://www.winsite.com/Audio/Media-Players/Express-Scribe-For-Linux/
>> but I prefer to go to the Ubuntu repository.
>>
>> Is there anything in the repository that does the job or anything else
>> that can be recommended?
>>
>> Dave
>>

> The best transcription SW I have come across is
> www.nch.com.au/scribe/index.html
> The SW is called Express Scribe
> However, it is not free :(
>
> Cheers,
>
> JD

It looks good, but it only runs on windows or Mac O-X. It support
"most major word processors" which surely includes MS Word and
WordPerfect, but it doesn't say what else.
And it will apparently work with speech recognition software.

Finally, there is a free version, but I did not look into its limitations.

--doug

Re: Transcription software?

JD-58

On 01/02/2013 04:59 PM, Doug wrote:

> On 01/02/2013 04:40 PM, JD wrote:
>>
>> On 01/02/2013 12:47 PM, David Fletcher wrote:
>>> A friend has just been made redundant from her work and as a fall-back
>>> position is thinking about using her typing skills to transcribe audio
>>> recordings into text.
>>>
>>> I've never been involved with this before but it seems to me what is
>>> needed is something that plays audio with foot pedal control while
>>> running a text editor at the same time.
>>>
>>> Doing some digging, there's something called Express Scribe For Linux
>>> http://www.winsite.com/Audio/Media-Players/Express-Scribe-For-Linux/
>>> but I prefer to go to the Ubuntu repository.
>>>
>>> Is there anything in the repository that does the job or anything else
>>> that can be recommended?
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>

>> The best transcription SW I have come across is
>> www.nch.com.au/scribe/index.html
>> The SW is called Express Scribe
>> However, it is not free :(
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> JD
>>
> It looks good, but it only runs on windows or Mac O-X. It support
> "most major word processors" which surely includes MS Word and
> WordPerfect, but it doesn't say what else.
> And it will apparently work with speech recognition software.
>
> Finally, there is a free version, but I did not look into its
> limitations.
>
> --doug

As Dave had pointed out there is a Linux version,
which I indicated that it is a shell installation file,
so you will have to 'sh' or 'bash' it.
I ran it, and it produced some errors.
However, it WILL play the audio file you select - albeit
it did not yield any text file.

Re: Transcription software?

Doug McGarrett
On 01/02/2013 05:35 PM, David Fletcher wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-01-02 at 14:40 -0700, JD wrote:
>>>
>> The best transcription SW I have come across is
>> www.nch.com.au/scribe/index.html
>> The SW is called Express Scribe
>> However, it is not free :(
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> JD
>>
> I'd already been there. Apart from payment there seems to be no Linux
> version.
>
> DF

I sent another reply, but a comment: You are going to make money
on this, so not only can you afford to buy the software, you could
afford to buy XP and WordPerfect. WP has good pricing and is
(in my humble opinion) better and more user-friendly than MS Word,
and WP will save in Word format if that's required. WP is also
better than anything that's available for Linux, as far as I'm concerned.
When I need something better than the Linux software, I use WP.
I'm not proud, and neither should you be.

--doug

Re: Transcription software?

Ric Moore
On 01/02/2013 05:13 PM, JD wrote:

> It killer flaw is that it has the wrong value of the sound card hard coded.
> To wit:
> (scribe:8500): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Unable to get session bus:
> The connection is closed
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1401:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card

Try running it with padsp scribe
See if that makes is go, Ric
http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Re: Transcription software?

JD-58

On 01/02/2013 09:34 PM, Ric Moore wrote:

> On 01/02/2013 05:13 PM, JD wrote:
>
>> It killer flaw is that it has the wrong value of the sound card hard
>> coded.
>> To wit:
>> (scribe:8500): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Unable to get session bus:
>> The connection is closed
>> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1401:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
>>
> Try running it with padsp scribe
> See if that makes is go, Ric
Hi Ric,
Not sure I know what yo mean by padsp scribe.
Is that another app to install??

Re: Transcription software?

David Fletcher-5
On Wed, 2013-01-02 at 16:25 -0700, JD wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> If you are not running 12.10, then you might be in luck.
> Emphasis on 'might'.
>
> Try
>
>     *sudo add-apt-repository *ppa:frederik-elwert/transcribe* *
>     *sudo apt-get update*
>     *sudo apt-get install* *transcribe*
>
> it will prompt you

I tried firing up a 64 bit Natty VM that I built some time back, and
transcriber is available there. I used aptitude download to get the
installer, and copied it over to my 12.04.

gdebi installs it OK and it fires up but for starters it appears to have
"hard-wired" /dev/sound/dsp which appears to not exist, so it's not a
lot of use.

Dave

Re: Transcription software?

JD-58

On 01/03/2013 05:16 PM, David Fletcher wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-01-02 at 16:25 -0700, JD wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> If you are not running 12.10, then you might be in luck.
>> Emphasis on 'might'.
>>
>> Try
>>
>>      *sudo add-apt-repository *ppa:frederik-elwert/transcribe* *
>>      *sudo apt-get update*
>>      *sudo apt-get install* *transcribe*
>>
>> it will prompt you
>>
> I tried firing up a 64 bit Natty VM that I built some time back, and
> transcriber is available there. I used aptitude download to get the
> installer, and copied it over to my 12.04.
>
> gdebi installs it OK and it fires up but for starters it appears to have
> "hard-wired" /dev/sound/dsp which appears to not exist, so it's not a
> lot of use.
>
> Dave
Yeah... just as I experienced from untaring
the binary from the online tarball
on the link you sent. When I ran it
it belched out something similar.
Oh well, I am sure I will find others, because I
have some need of voice to text also.

Re: Transcription software?

NoOp-4
On 01/03/2013 04:16 PM, David Fletcher wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-01-02 at 16:25 -0700, JD wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> If you are not running 12.10, then you might be in luck.
>> Emphasis on 'might'.
>>
>> Try
>>
>>     *sudo add-apt-repository *ppa:frederik-elwert/transcribe* *
>>     *sudo apt-get update*
>>     *sudo apt-get install* *transcribe*
>>
>> it will prompt you
>>

> I tried firing up a 64 bit Natty VM that I built some time back, and
> transcriber is available there. I used aptitude download to get the
> installer, and copied it over to my 12.04.
>
> gdebi installs it OK and it fires up but for starters it appears to have
> "hard-wired" /dev/sound/dsp which appears to not exist, so it's not a
> lot of use.

$ apt-cache policy transcribe
transcribe:
  Installed: 11.06-public1
  Candidate: 11.06-public1
  Version table:
 *** 11.06-public1 0
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/frederik-elwert/transcribe/ubuntu/
precise/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Works for me. I used the first example from:
http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/practice.html
and compared with NCH's Express Scribe. Transcribe is (for me)
considerably clearer & cleaner soundwise out of the box - particularly
when the file is played at 50%. Perhaps ES can be tweaked to the same
sound quality as transcribe, but I've not experimented further.

3.2.0-36-generic #56-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jan 2 21:50:39 UTC 2013 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Re: Transcription software?

JD-58

On 01/03/2013 07:29 PM, NoOp wrote:

> On 01/03/2013 04:16 PM, David Fletcher wrote:
>> On Wed, 2013-01-02 at 16:25 -0700, JD wrote:
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> If you are not running 12.10, then you might be in luck.
>>> Emphasis on 'might'.
>>>
>>> Try
>>>
>>>      *sudo add-apt-repository *ppa:frederik-elwert/transcribe* *
>>>      *sudo apt-get update*
>>>      *sudo apt-get install* *transcribe*
>>>
>>> it will prompt you
>>>
>> I tried firing up a 64 bit Natty VM that I built some time back, and
>> transcriber is available there. I used aptitude download to get the
>> installer, and copied it over to my 12.04.
>>
>> gdebi installs it OK and it fires up but for starters it appears to have
>> "hard-wired" /dev/sound/dsp which appears to not exist, so it's not a
>> lot of use.
> $ apt-cache policy transcribe
> transcribe:
>    Installed: 11.06-public1
>    Candidate: 11.06-public1
>    Version table:
>   *** 11.06-public1 0
>          500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/frederik-elwert/transcribe/ubuntu/
> precise/main amd64 Packages
>          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> Works for me. I used the first example from:
> http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/practice.html
> and compared with NCH's Express Scribe. Transcribe is (for me)
> considerably clearer & cleaner soundwise out of the box - particularly
> when the file is played at 50%. Perhaps ES can be tweaked to the same
> sound quality as transcribe, but I've not experimented further.
>
> 3.2.0-36-generic #56-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jan 2 21:50:39 UTC 2013 x86_64
> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Unfortunately it is not available for 12.10 (quantal).

Re: Transcription software?

David Fletcher-5
On Wed, 2013-01-02 at 15:13 -0700, JD wrote:

> > Doing some digging, there's something called Express Scribe For Linux
> > http://www.winsite.com/Audio/Media-Players/Express-Scribe-For-Linux/
> > but I prefer to go to the Ubuntu repository.
> All you have to do is untar it and run
> sh scribe
> it will indeed belch out some errors, which do not seem
> to prevent the gui from coming up.
> It killer flaw is that it has the wrong value of the sound card hard coded.
> To wit:
> (scribe:8500): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Unable to get session bus:
> The connection is closed
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1401:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card

I can't get it installed. I set up a VM to play on, unpacked the tar
file, tried to run it and it just errors at line 21, moaning about the
temp directory it tries to set up under /tmp/.

Re: Transcription software?

JD-58

On 01/04/2013 05:16 PM, David Fletcher wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-01-02 at 15:13 -0700, JD wrote:
>>> Doing some digging, there's something called Express Scribe For Linux
>>> http://www.winsite.com/Audio/Media-Players/Express-Scribe-For-Linux/
>>> but I prefer to go to the Ubuntu repository.
>> All you have to do is untar it and run
>> sh scribe
>> it will indeed belch out some errors, which do not seem
>> to prevent the gui from coming up.
>> It killer flaw is that it has the wrong value of the sound card hard coded.
>> To wit:
>> (scribe:8500): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Unable to get session bus:
>> The connection is closed
>> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1401:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
> I can't get it installed. I set up a VM to play on, unpacked the tar
> file, tried to run it and it just errors at line 21, moaning about the
> temp directory it tries to set up under /tmp/.

What are the permission setting of /tmp?
Are you running as root or unprivileged user?

I suggest you chmod /tmp as follows:

sudo chmod -t 777 /tmp

and then as unprivileged user, retry to run it.

Cheers,

JD

Re: Transcription software?

Ric Moore
On 01/03/2013 11:22 AM, JD wrote:

> On 01/02/2013 09:34 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
>> On 01/02/2013 05:13 PM, JD wrote:
>>
>>> It killer flaw is that it has the wrong value of the sound card hard
>>> coded.
>>> To wit:
>>> (scribe:8500): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Unable to get session bus:
>>> The connection is closed
>>> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1401:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
>>>
>> Try running it with padsp scribe
>> See if that makes is go, Ric
> Hi Ric,
> Not sure I know what yo mean by padsp scribe.
> Is that another app to install??

If you have pulse audio installed, you should already have that.
(pulseaudio-utils is the package name) typing padsp alerts pulse that
the program noted after will try to use the old /dev/audio or /dev/dsp
device and to send the audio instead to pulse.

So, if your program ran, but couldn't output sound (due to being old and
cranky) that should straighten it out. To run kino successfully I open a
terminal and type padsp kino. That fixes it's sound problem, as it looks
for /dev/dsp.

You will also want to install pavucontrol, so that you can select your
choice of sound source and sound output. You could have an audio tape
deck connected to input though the stereo-in jack and usb headphones for
your private listening pleasure. Enjoy. It's way kewl. :) Ric

On 01/03/2013 07:16 PM, David Fletcher wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-01-02 at 16:25 -0700, JD wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> If you are not running 12.10, then you might be in luck.
>> Emphasis on 'might'.
>>
>> Try
>>
>>      *sudo add-apt-repository *ppa:frederik-elwert/transcribe* *
>>      *sudo apt-get update*
>>      *sudo apt-get install* *transcribe*
>>
>> it will prompt you
>>

> I tried firing up a 64 bit Natty VM that I built some time back, and
> transcriber is available there. I used aptitude download to get the
> installer, and copied it over to my 12.04.
>
> gdebi installs it OK and it fires up but for starters it appears to have
> "hard-wired" /dev/sound/dsp which appears to not exist, so it's not a
> lot of use.

See my post... Ric

On 01/05/2013 11:18 PM, Ric Moore wrote:

> On 01/03/2013 11:22 AM, JD wrote:

>>> Try running it with padsp scribe
>>> See if that makes is go, Ric
>> Hi Ric,
>> Not sure I know what yo mean by padsp scribe.
>> Is that another app to install??
>
> If you have pulse audio installed, you should already have that.
> (pulseaudio-utils is the package name) typing padsp alerts pulse that
> the program noted after will try to use the old /dev/audio or /dev/dsp
> device and to send the audio instead to pulse.
>
> So, if your program ran, but couldn't output sound (due to being old
> and cranky) that should straighten it out. To run kino successfully I
> open a terminal and type padsp kino. That fixes it's sound problem, as
> it looks for /dev/dsp.
>
> You will also want to install pavucontrol, so that you can select your
> choice of sound source and sound output. You could have an audio tape
> deck connected to input though the stereo-in jack and usb headphones
> for your private listening pleasure. Enjoy. It's way kewl. :) Ric

Thanks Ric.
Installing now.