Translations not yet included in release

Translations not yet included in release

Øystein Steffensen-Alværvik
Hello!

Last summer I translated Ubiquity to Norwegian Nynorsk, but these
translations have not made it into release. That is to say, they have
not been included in Ubuntu's live images; I tested this today with
Disco's latest daily build. I wonder why that is, and I'm unaware if
there are any extra steps involved to get the translations pushed to
release. The translations are all marked as "Current Norwegian Nynorsk"
on Launchpad. They are here:
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/disco/+source/ubiquity/+pots/ubiquity-debconf/nn/

I appreciate any help with this.

--

Øystein Steffensen-Alværvik

Re: Translations not yet included in release

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
On 2019-04-17 21:00, Øystein Steffensen-Alværvik wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Last summer I translated Ubiquity to Norwegian Nynorsk, but these
> translations have not made it into release. That is to say, they have
> not been included in Ubuntu's live images; I tested this today with
> Disco's latest daily build. I wonder why that is, and I'm unaware if
> there are any extra steps involved to get the translations pushed to
> release. The translations are all marked as "Current Norwegian Nynorsk"
> on Launchpad. They are here:
> https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/disco/+source/ubiquity/+pots/ubiquity-debconf/nn/
>

> I appreciate any help with this.

Ubiquity translations need to be manually (by a developer) updated, but
that was last done in October:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/18.10.10

So translations from last summer ought to be there. And the Nynorsk PO
file in the package source is from 2018-10-15.

@Łukasz: Do you have any thoughts about this?

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: Translations not yet included in release

Øystein Steffensen-Alværvik
I downloaded the source for the Ubiquity version you linked, and indeed
the translations that are missing on the live images are fully present
in "debian/real-po/nn.po" and "/po/nn.po"! Why they have not been
included in the live images is the mystery.

Den 18.04.2019 00:30, skreiv Gunnar Hjalmarsson:

> On 2019-04-17 21:00, Øystein Steffensen-Alværvik wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Last summer I translated Ubiquity to Norwegian Nynorsk, but these
>> translations have not made it into release. That is to say, they have
>> not been included in Ubuntu's live images; I tested this today with
>> Disco's latest daily build. I wonder why that is, and I'm unaware if
>> there are any extra steps involved to get the translations pushed to
>> release. The translations are all marked as "Current Norwegian
>> Nynorsk" on Launchpad. They are here:
>> https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/disco/+source/ubiquity/+pots/ubiquity-debconf/nn/
>>

>> I appreciate any help with this.
>
> Ubiquity translations need to be manually (by a developer) updated,
> but that was last done in October:
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/18.10.10
>
> So translations from last summer ought to be there. And the Nynorsk PO
> file in the package source is from 2018-10-15.
>
> @Łukasz: Do you have any thoughts about this?

--
Helsing,

Øystein Steffensen-Alværvik

Re: Translations not yet included in release

Øystein Steffensen-Alværvik
It appears that this is a general problem, at least with Norwegian
Nynorsk. None of the translations for other packages are appearing in
Disco – translations that I made in Aug 2018.

Den 18.04.2019 16:40, skreiv Øystein Steffensen-Alværvik:

On 2019-04-24 21:04, Øystein Steffensen-Alværvik wrote:
> It appears that this is a general problem, at least with Norwegian
> Nynorsk. None of the translations for other packages are appearing in
> Disco – translations that I made in Aug 2018.

Translation issues may have various causes, so can you please let us
know which packages those are and give us a couple of examples of
untranslated strings for each package.

On 2019-09-07 15:43, Øystein Steffensen-Alværvik wrote:
> This is still an issue with the latest live image for Eoan; the
> translations for Norwegian Nynorsk are only partially included in
> Ubiquity and the rest of the live image. I have tested this with
> Kubuntu, but Ubiquity should be the same for Ubuntu as well. Please
> see these screenshots for some examples:
>
> https://i.imgur.com/ul2aWbS.png
>
> https://i.imgur.com/mwN98Ve.png

Ok thanks, but it would help if you could test with the Ubuntu live
image too. There might be differences between the flavors wrt how
translations are dealt with.

I have talked with Łukasz Zemczak, one of the developers, and he will
probably look at it later this week.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: Translations not yet included in release

Øystein Steffensen-Alværvik
You are right, this seems to be an issue specific to Kubuntu. Both
Ubuntu and Xubuntu live images for Eoan contain the translated strings
that in Kubuntu are untranslated – *except* for 2 strings: The string
"Device for bootloader installation:" in package debian-installer
displays in English (it is translated in Launchpad for Norwegian
Nynorsk), and dialog buttons for "Yes" and "No" also appears in English.

See screenshots:

https://i.imgur.com/n6oKIhn.png
https://i.imgur.com/rToen0S.png

On 2019-09-10 15:00, Øystein Steffensen-Alværvik wrote:
> Both Ubuntu and Xubuntu live images for Eoan contain the translated
> strings that in Kubuntu are untranslated – *except* for 2 strings:
> The string "Device for bootloader installation:" in package
> debian-installer displays in English (it is translated in Launchpad
> for Norwegian Nynorsk), and dialog buttons for "Yes" and "No" also
> appears in English.

It looks like those two are very old bugs:

https://launchpad.net/bugs/559377

https://launchpad.net/bugs/884801

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Re: Translations not yet included in release

Øystein Steffensen-Alværvik
Thank you. That confirms that the original issue I reported (some
translated texts not appearing in Ubiquity, excluding the bugs that
Hjalmarsson linked) is Kubuntu-specific.

Den 10.09.2019 17:10, skreiv Gunnar Hjalmarsson:

> On 2019-09-10 15:00, Øystein Steffensen-Alværvik wrote:
>> Both Ubuntu and Xubuntu live images for Eoan contain the translated
>> strings that in Kubuntu are untranslated – *except* for 2 strings:
>> The string "Device for bootloader installation:" in package
>> debian-installer displays in English (it is translated in Launchpad
>> for Norwegian Nynorsk), and dialog buttons for "Yes" and "No" also
>> appears in English.
>
> It looks like those two are very old bugs:
>
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/559377
>
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/884801

--
Helsing,

Øystein Steffensen-Alværvik

Re: Translations not yet included in release

Øystein Steffensen-Alværvik
Would it be more practical to report this directly to the Kubuntu devs,
since the issue only affects Kubuntu?

Den 10.09.2019 17:31, skreiv Øystein Steffensen-Alværvik:

On 2019-09-15 11:49, Øystein Steffensen-Alværvik wrote:
> Would it be more practical to report this directly to the Kubuntu
> devs, since the issue only affects Kubuntu?

Yes, indeed it would. I don't think they follow this mailing list.