Trash does not work across partitions

Robert Entner-2
Hello!

I have in my home folder a symlink to another partition.  When I use
Nautilus to 'Move to Trash' a file I access via this symlink I get the
error message:
Not on the same file system while deleting filename.

Deleting permanently and via terminal work of course.

This seems to be a Gnome/Nautilus bug to me, is this correct?

Burt

--
http://www.entner.net

Re: Trash does not work across partitions

Tony Arnold-3
Burt,

Robert Entner wrote:

> I have in my home folder a symlink to another partition.  When I use
> Nautilus to 'Move to Trash' a file I access via this symlink I get the
> error message:
> Not on the same file system while deleting filename.
>
> Deleting permanently and via terminal work of course.
>
> This seems to be a Gnome/Nautilus bug to me, is this correct?

I'd call it a limitation rather than a bug!

As I understand it, Nautilus uses the 'mv' command to move files from
their current directory to the Trash directory. mv within the same file
system is very efficient as the file itself stays where it is
physically. To implement mv accross paritition, one would have to copy
the file and delete the old file with the risk of things going wrong
part way through this process.

Certainly in older Unixes, mv between paritions did not work. I've not
tried it on more recent version of Linux.

I guess one answer would be for Nautilus to keep a trash directory for
each file system, and mv the file to there.

Regards,
Tony.
E: [hidden email], H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold

On Wednesday 14 December 2005 12:47, Tony Arnold wrote:

> Robert Entner wrote:
> > I have in my home folder a symlink to another partition.  When I use
> > Nautilus to 'Move to Trash' a file I access via this symlink I get
> > the error message:
> > Not on the same file system while deleting filename.
> >
> > Deleting permanently and via terminal work of course.
> >
> > This seems to be a Gnome/Nautilus bug to me, is this correct?
>
> I'd call it a limitation rather than a bug!
>
> As I understand it, Nautilus uses the 'mv' command to move files from
> their current directory to the Trash directory. mv within the same file
> system is very efficient as the file itself stays where it is
> physically. To implement mv accross paritition, one would have to copy
> the file and delete the old file with the risk of things going wrong
> part way through this process.
>
> Certainly in older Unixes, mv between paritions did not work. I've not
> tried it on more recent version of Linux.
>
> I guess one answer would be for Nautilus to keep a trash directory for
> each file system, and mv the file to there.

Hmm, thanks for the answer.  In this case it would be much better to
display a 'could not move to trash, should the file be deleted
permanently' message.  Otherwise a regular user can not delete the file -
except when he activates the delete permanently option in Nautilus.

Burt

Re: Trash does not work across partitions

Phillip Susi
Of course mv works across partitions, it always has.  Obviously it is
slower because it has to copy and delete rather than just rename, but it
works.

It sounds like nautilus thinks that the stuff in /home is on the same
filesystem, and is trying to rename rather than copy+delete.  This
confusion may be the result of your using a /home symlink.  Try actually
mounting the other filesystem in /home instead of symlinking to it.  If
that fixes it, then yes, I'd call this a bug in nautilus.

Tony Arnold wrote:

> I'd call it a limitation rather than a bug!
>
> As I understand it, Nautilus uses the 'mv' command to move files from
> their current directory to the Trash directory. mv within the same file
> system is very efficient as the file itself stays where it is
> physically. To implement mv accross paritition, one would have to copy
> the file and delete the old file with the risk of things going wrong
> part way through this process.
>
> Certainly in older Unixes, mv between paritions did not work. I've not
> tried it on more recent version of Linux.
>
> I guess one answer would be for Nautilus to keep a trash directory for
> each file system, and mv the file to there.

Re: Trash does not work across partitions

Robert Entner-2
Going directly to the folder without following symlinks leads to the same
error message.