Trashcan behavior seems odd

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Trashcan behavior seems odd

Ignazio Palmisano
Hi all,
I'm a Linux newbie (and Kubuntu newbie too). I installed 5.10 a couple
of weeks ago and started installing lots of things I needed, such as
Eclipse and other nice little programs of about 100 MB each. Not
surprisingly, the space on my root partition ran quite low (I installed
Kubuntu in a 5 GB partition), so I moved programs up and down my partitions.
The problem is, I found a folder:

/home/ignazio/.local/share/Trash/files

that seems to be the folder in which the trashed files go until you
erase them for good. To my surprise, there were about 1.5 GB files in
there, resisting my efforts to empty the basket, and all of them were
files I deleted hours ago.
Is this expected behavior, or maybe did I manage to put some switch wrong?

Thank you very much for your answers, and please excuse the naivete :-)
Ignazio
--
Ignazio Palmisano
Ph.D. Student - palmisano at di.uniba.it, ignazio_io at yahoo.it

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trashcan behavior seems odd

L. Boggio
Le 09/11/05, Ignazio Palmisano a dit :

> Hi all,
> I'm a Linux newbie (and Kubuntu newbie too). I installed 5.10 a couple
> of weeks ago and started installing lots of things I needed, such as
> Eclipse and other nice little programs of about 100 MB each. Not
> surprisingly, the space on my root partition ran quite low (I installed
> Kubuntu in a 5 GB partition), so I moved programs up and down my partitions.
> The problem is, I found a folder:
>
> /home/ignazio/.local/share/Trash/files
>
> that seems to be the folder in which the trashed files go until you
> erase them for good. To my surprise, there were about 1.5 GB files in
> there, resisting my efforts to empty the basket, and all of them were
> files I deleted hours ago.
> Is this expected behavior, or maybe did I manage to put some switch wrong?
>
> Thank you very much for your answers, and please excuse the naivete :-)
> Ignazio

I just had a look to this folder, and found similar than you.

By default, in my task bar, I've got a Trash can (Make it
appear with Right-click/Add/Applet/Trash (approx. translation, I've got
French KUbuntu).
I clicked on this icon, selected "Empty trash", and the folder went
empty.

In case this doesn't succeed, have a look to files and folder
permissions in this folder.

HtH.

--
L.Boggio
Kubuntu 5.10 User, and proud of it !

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trashcan behavior seems odd

Ignazio Palmisano
L. Boggio wrote:
> Le 09/11/05, Ignazio Palmisano a dit :
>
>> Hi all,
[snip]

>> The problem is, I found a folder:
>>
>> /home/ignazio/.local/share/Trash/files
[snip]

> I just had a look to this folder, and found similar than you.
>
> By default, in my task bar, I've got a Trash can (Make it
> appear with Right-click/Add/Applet/Trash (approx. translation, I've got
> French KUbuntu).
> I clicked on this icon, selected "Empty trash", and the folder went
> empty.
>
> In case this doesn't succeed, have a look to files and folder
> permissions in this folder.

Yes, that's exactly what I did. Permissions were correctly set, so maybe
there was an error in the "empty trash" command. What I find unusual is
that no error is reported...
Thank you for your answer,
Ignazio

--
Ignazio Palmisano
Ph.D. Student - palmisano at di.uniba.it, ignazio_io at yahoo.it

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Trashcan behavior seems odd

Argyris Megalios
In reply to this post by Ignazio Palmisano
L. Boggio wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm a Linux newbie (and Kubuntu newbie too). I installed 5.10 a
couple
> of weeks ago and started installing lots of things I needed, such as
> Eclipse and other nice little programs of about 100 MB each. Not
> surprisingly, the space on my root partition ran quite low (I
installed
> Kubuntu in a 5 GB partition), so I moved programs up and down my
partitions.
> The problem is, I found a folder:
>
> /home/ignazio/.local/share/Trash/files
>
> that seems to be the folder in which the trashed files go until you
> erase them for good. To my surprise, there were about 1.5 GB files in

> there, resisting my efforts to empty the basket, and all of them were

> files I deleted hours ago.
> Is this expected behavior, or maybe did I manage to put some switch
wrong?
>
> Thank you very much for your answers, and please excuse the naivete
:-)
> Ignazio


I had such a problem once, and it turned out the information had been
deleted, but the files hadn't. So, I selected all the files and pressed
Shift+Delete, which deletes them without sending them to the Trashcan,
and it worked for me.

Argyris Megalios


       

       
               
___________________________________________________________
?????????????? Yahoo!;
?????????? ?? ?????????? ???????? (spam); ?? Yahoo! Mail
???????? ??? ???????? ?????? ????????? ???? ??? ???????????
????????? http://login.yahoo.com/config/mail?.intl=gr 


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users