Trouble installing 18.04 server dual boot on laptop

Trouble installing 18.04 server dual boot on laptop

Eric Fort
Trying to duplicate the vm host server at work on my laptop. I’m having the following troubles:

The disk is partitioned using gpt partition tables and has a fresh install of windows 10 that created multiple partitions for windows use and left about 36gb or unused free space. I have since created 2 additional partitions in the remaining free space - an ext4 partition to be used as /, and a 16mb swap partition because the ubuntu installer insists that A swap partition exists but seems to care less about if it’s big enough to do a damn bit of good should it be needed. Unless given good reason to have a reasonable sized swap partition I’d like to forgo it entirely as disk space is tight. The bios is set for secure boot and the system boots fine to windows 10 or the usb stick containing the Ubuntu 18.04 server live iso without incident.

1.  The installer can’t seem to find my WiFi card but insists upon having an internet connection for the install.

2. The installer won’t seem to allow installation in a dual boot config,  it wants to use the entire disk and install mostly automatically.  I need more control over the install.

3. The installer insists upon use of a swap partition when I’d rather not. If the machine starts swapping with 16GB of ram I have bigger problems to resolve, like maybe running fewer VMs in parallel.

How can I resolve these issues I’m having getting Ubuntu 18.04 server installed?  Bonus points if I can automate the install to have exactly the same packages as the vm server at work with the only differences being for things such as network drivers

Eric

Sent using SMTP.

Bob

Re: Trouble installing 18.04 server dual boot on laptop

Bob
** Reply to message from Eric Fort <[hidden email]> on
Fri, 17 Aug 2018 00:38:59 -0700

> Trying to duplicate the vm host server at work on my laptop. I’m having the following troubles:
>
> The disk is partitioned using gpt partition tables and has a fresh install of
> windows 10 that created multiple partitions for windows use and left about 36gb
> or unused free space. I have since created 2 additional partitions in the
> remaining free space - an ext4 partition to be used as /, and a 16mb swap
> partition because the ubuntu installer insists that A swap partition exists but
> seems to care less about if it’s big enough to do a damn bit of good should it
> be needed. Unless given good reason to have a reasonable sized swap partition
> I’d like to forgo it entirely as disk space is tight. The bios is set for
> secure boot and the system boots fine to windows 10 or the usb stick containing
> the Ubuntu 18.04 server live iso without incident.
>
> 1.  The installer can’t seem to find my WiFi card but insists upon having an
> internet connection for the install.
>
> 2. The installer won’t seem to allow installation in a dual boot config,  it
> wants to use the entire disk and install mostly automatically.  I need more
> control over the install.

Select the "something else" option when asked how you want to install.

> 3. The installer insists upon use of a swap partition when I’d rather not. If
> the machine starts swapping with 16GB of ram I have bigger problems to resolve,
> like maybe running fewer VMs in parallel.

The SWAP file is not required if you have selected the "something else" option.

--
Robert Blair

What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.  -- Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)

Re: Trouble installing 18.04 server dual boot on laptop

Eric Fort

Sent using SMTP.

> On Aug 17, 2018, at 1:34 AM, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ** Reply to message from Eric Fort <[hidden email]> on
> Fri, 17 Aug 2018 00:38:59 -0700
>
>> Trying to duplicate the vm host server at work on my laptop. I’m having the following troubles:
>>
>> The disk is partitioned using gpt partition tables and has a fresh install of
>> windows 10 that created multiple partitions for windows use and left about 36gb
>> or unused free space. I have since created 2 additional partitions in the
>> remaining free space - an ext4 partition to be used as /, and a 16mb swap
>> partition because the ubuntu installer insists that A swap partition exists but
>> seems to care less about if it’s big enough to do a damn bit of good should it
>> be needed. Unless given good reason to have a reasonable sized swap partition
>> I’d like to forgo it entirely as disk space is tight. The bios is set for
>> secure boot and the system boots fine to windows 10 or the usb stick containing
>> the Ubuntu 18.04 server live iso without incident.
>>
>> 1.  The installer can’t seem to find my WiFi card but insists upon having an
>> internet connection for the install.

This is a bigger concern, can I not install a bare base Ubuntu system without access to the internet and add the online repos later?  It would be nice however if I could simply offer up the needed firmware just like the Debian installer and the WiFi is then offered as a choice. How can I get the WiFi card working during the ubuntu install process?

>> 2. The installer won’t seem to allow installation in a dual boot config,  it
>> wants to use the entire disk and install mostly automatically.  I need more
>> control over the install.
>
> Select the "something else" option when asked how you want to install.

There is no “something else” option offered. The only options offered by the Ubuntu-18.04.1-live-server-amd64.iso or Ubuntu-18_04mini.iso

The only options offered are:

Install Ubuntu Server
OEM install (for manufacturers)
Check disc for defects

Disc check indicates no errors found.

>> 3. The installer insists upon use of a swap partition when I’d rather not. If
>> the machine starts swapping with 16GB of ram I have bigger problems to resolve,
>> like maybe running fewer VMs in parallel.
>
> The SWAP file is not required if you have selected the "something else" option.

Again there is no “something else” option.

>> How can I resolve these issues I’m having getting Ubuntu 18.04 server
>> installed?  Bonus points if I can automate the install to have exactly the same
>> packages as the vm server at work with the only differences being for things
>> such as network drivers
>
> --
> Robert Blair
>

> What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.  -- Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)

Re: Trouble installing 18.04 server dual boot on laptop

Eric Fort
Ok problem solved.... the live-server installer ties ones hands and is not capible of this type of install. The alternative server iso (non live) with the old installer works much better and is entirely more flexible. When installing an ubuntu server I’d highly recommend the alternative installer with the old installer

Eric

Sent using SMTP.

> [...]
>

>>> 3. The installer insists upon use of a swap partition when I’d rather not. If
>>> the machine starts swapping with 16GB of ram I have bigger problems to resolve,
>>> like maybe running fewer VMs in parallel.
>>
>> The SWAP file is not required if you have selected the "something else" option.
>>

> Again there is no “something else” option.
>
>>> How can I resolve these issues I’m having getting Ubuntu 18.04 server
>>> installed?  Bonus points if I can automate the install to have exactly the same
>>> packages as the vm server at work with the only differences being for things
>>> such as network drivers
>>
>> --
>> Robert Blair
>>

>> What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.  -- Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)

Re: Trouble installing 18.04 server dual boot on laptop

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Freitag, den 17.08.2018, 00:38 -0700 schrieb Eric Fort:
> 2. The installer won’t seem to allow installation in a dual boot
> config,  it wants to use the entire disk and install mostly
> automatically.  I need more control over the install.

This works fine here... if you select manual install, you can manually
create all partitions (or a LVM or RAID) and it will happily do a dual-
boot installation if you partitioned it to do so (this is also one of
the general iso tests before release, so this also has been tried by
others (you can check results on http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/))

> 3. The installer insists upon use of a swap partition when I’d rather
> not. If the machine starts swapping with 16GB of ram I have bigger
> problems to resolve, like maybe running fewer VMs in parallel.

There is definitely no swap partition used at all any more in *any*
Ubuntu installs with 18.04, all installations were switched to use a
sparse swap file. Dropping swap completely makes the kernels memory
management take a different code path which can result in weird
behaviour when getting close to the edge with ram usage, thus having a
self-growing swap file was picked to not go completely without swap
here. If you picked manual partitioning and did not create a swap
partition explicitly, there should not be one ...

see:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseNotes#Other_base_system_cha
nges_since_16.04_LTS

Are you sure you picked 18.04.1 ? there was a massive set of changes in
the server installer between 18.04 and 18.04.1

ciao
        oli

Re: Trouble installing 18.04 server dual boot on laptop

Eric Fort
Replies threaded below:

Sent using SMTP.

Works fine here too *********IF YOU USE THE ALTERNATIVE (non-live) ISO IMAGE (with the old installer)*********. The live cd installer lacks the options to install to the gpt partition of your choice. The only option offered is to use the entire disk (and obliterate any other os present. Once directed to use the alternative (non-live) media it works fine and allows you to choose how to partition and where to install.

>> 3. The installer insists upon use of a swap partition when I’d rather
>> not. If the machine starts swapping with 16GB of ram I have bigger
>> problems to resolve, like maybe running fewer VMs in parallel.
>>
> There is definitely no swap partition used at all any more in *any*
> Ubuntu installs with 18.04, all installations were switched to use a
> sparse swap file. Dropping swap completely makes the kernels memory
> management take a different code path which can result in weird
> behaviour when getting close to the edge with ram usage, thus having a
> self-growing swap file was picked to not go completely without swap
> here. If you picked manual partitioning and did not create a swap
> partition explicitly, there should not be one ...

I beg to differ based upon this recent experience. The live cd server installer will continue to send you back to partitioning until you create a swap partition.

Am Samstag, den 18.08.2018, 07:26 -0700 schrieb Eric Fort:

> Replies threaded below:
>
> Sent using SMTP.
>

> > On Aug 18, 2018, at 1:34 AM, Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > hi,
> > Am Freitag, den 17.08.2018, 00:38 -0700 schrieb Eric Fort:

> > > 2. The installer won’t seem to allow installation in a dual boot
> > > config,  it wants to use the entire disk and install mostly
> > > automatically.  I need more control over the install.
> > This works fine here... if you select manual install, you can
> > manually
> > create all partitions (or a LVM or RAID) and it will happily do a
> > dual-
> > boot installation if you partitioned it to do so (this is also one
> > of
> > the general iso tests before release, so this also has been tried
> > by
> > others (you can check results on http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/))
> Works fine here too
well, i did test it in a virtualbox win10 instance i had around here
before even posting (because your post got me curious) ... using [1]

> I beg to differ based upon this recent experience. The live cd server
> installer will continue to send you back to partitioning until you
> create a swap partition.

see above, i tested this too ...

again ... you really need to use the 18.04.1 installer, 18.04 is not
sufficient and the new installer was lacking a lot of features before
.1 (as usual, LTSes should not be used in production environments
before .1 is released (and the meta file is updated to provide the
auto-updates for LTS->LTS upgrades))

ciao
        oli

[1] http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04.1/ubuntu-18.04.1-live-server-amd64
.iso

Re: Trouble installing 18.04 server dual boot on laptop

Eric Fort
Ah ok the difference here apparently is the difference between 18.04 and 18.04.01

Sent using SMTP.