Trouble installing Ubuntu 18.04. Machine unable to reach archive

Trouble installing Ubuntu 18.04. Machine unable to reach archive

Eric Fort
Im installing Ubuntu 18.04 as a kvm guest using virt-manager.  Because I want a lean install I seem to be forced to use the mini iso and the text installer so I can get a bone bare server base system without  desktop. I assign a static address, gateway, and subnet as assigned by our network admin but the installer can not reach the network to get packages or additional installer components. The correct “virtual” network “cable” is selected for the machine.  How can I figure out what’s wrong.

Eric

Sent using SMTP.

Re: Trouble installing Ubuntu 18.04. Machine unable to reach archive

Tom H-4
On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 2:27 AM Eric Fort
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Im installing Ubuntu 18.04 as a kvm guest using virt-manager.  Because
> I want a lean install I seem to be forced to use the mini iso and the
> text installer so I can get a bone bare server base system without
> desktop. I assign a static address, gateway, and subnet as assigned by
> our network admin but the installer can not reach the network to get
> packages or additional installer components. The correct “virtual”
> network “cable” is selected for the machine.

"/etc/resolv.conf"?

Re: Trouble installing Ubuntu 18.04. Machine unable to reach archive

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 17:25:28 -0700, Eric Fort wrote:
>Because I want a lean install I seem to be forced to use the mini iso
>and the text installer so I can get a bone bare server base system
>without desktop.

When I installed a RC version, the only choice was the server image, so
I unchecked the install of as much package groups as possible. IOW you
also could use the server image, to get an Ubuntu install without X,
Wayland a WM and DE. Keep in mind that the Ubuntu policy is
user-friendliness! My daily used distro is Arch Linux, by it's policy
it's not user-friendly. Depending on your needs, Arch's
non-user-friendliness could be much user-friendly.

>I assign a static address, gateway, and subnet as assigned by our
>network admin but the installer can not reach the network to get
>packages

If you want to stay with Ubuntu and the mini iso should cause
issues, since downloads are required during the install, then install
from the server image and uncheck all package groups you don't need.
Once you installed it, it's much easier to solve Internet related
issues.

Re: Trouble installing Ubuntu 18.04. Machine unable to reach archive

Eric Fort
Reply’s threaded below

Sent using SMTP.

> On Jul 27, 2018, at 5:37 PM, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 2:27 AM Eric Fort
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Im installing Ubuntu 18.04 as a kvm guest using virt-manager.  Because
>> I want a lean install I seem to be forced to use the mini iso and the
>> text installer so I can get a bone bare server base system without
>> desktop. I assign a static address, gateway, and subnet as assigned by
>> our network admin but the installer can not reach the network to get
>> packages or additional installer components. The correct “virtual”
>> network “cable” is selected for the machine.

Thanks forgot to include that but I did specify the name servers

> "/etc/resolv.conf"?

server 4.2.2.2
server 8.8.8.8

Eric

Re: Trouble installing Ubuntu 18.04. Machine unable to reach archive

Eric Fort
Replies threaded below:

Sent using SMTP.

>> On Jul 27, 2018, at 5:45 PM, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 17:25:28 -0700, Eric Fort wrote:
>> Because I want a lean install I seem to be forced to use the mini iso
>> and the text installer so I can get a bone bare server base system
>> without desktop.
>
> When I installed a RC version, the only choice was the server image, so
> I unchecked the install of as much package groups as possible. IOW you
> also could use the server image, to get an Ubuntu install without X,
> Wayland a WM and DE. Keep in mind that the Ubuntu policy is
> user-friendliness! My daily used distro is Arch Linux, by it's policy
> it's not user-friendly. Depending on your needs, Arch's
> non-user-friendliness could be much user-friendly.

I’m unfortunately stuck with Ubuntu for this by management decree. Given my choice all our servers would be Debian which I realize Ubuntu is based on. I just cringe a bit at Ubuntu wavering in certain ways from the philosophy, ways and wisdom of our Unix forefathers. It seems to result in admins that have no clue what is really going on and lacking core concepts of how things work.

As for user friendliness it seems to be a misnomer. Pretty much any Linux distro running X and your favorite desktop manager is usable and reasonably friendly to anyone who has the concept of a GUI based UI.

>> I assign a static address, gateway, and subnet as assigned by our
>> network admin but the installer can not reach the network to get
>> packages
>
> If you want to stay with Ubuntu and the mini iso should cause
> issues, since downloads are required during the install, then install
> from the server image and uncheck all package groups you don't need.
> Once you installed it, it's much easier to solve Internet related
> issues.

Well gotta get the networking working at some point. Id be happy to try again with the full Server DVD but I’ve had problems with that install selecting and deselecting packages so as to get a lean install.  Could go either way here but I need to download the full dvd again as it was accidentally deleted.  If I download the full iso how do I get the expert text installer running?

Eric

Re: Trouble installing Ubuntu 18.04. Machine unable to reach archive

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Freitag, den 27.07.2018, 17:25 -0700 schrieb Eric Fort:
> Im installing Ubuntu 18.04 as a kvm guest using virt-
> manager.

if you use virt-manager you will have to set up proper bridge
networking on your host machine, did you do that ?

what is your host OS ?

ciao
        oli

On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 18:33:30 -0700, Eric Fort wrote:
>Id be happy to try again with the full Server DVD but I’ve had
>problems with that install selecting and deselecting packages so as to
>get a lean install.  Could go either way here but I need to download
>the full dvd again as it was accidentally deleted.  If I download the
>full iso how do I get the expert text installer running?

I don't remember, since it was a long time ago when I installed Ubuntu
by using the server image. From then on 'do-release-upgrade' worked very
well. IIRC the 'expert text installer' was the default. FWIW when
installing from the server image you definitely get an install without
X, a WM and DE. Since my domain is audio, I unchecked all server
related packages and apart from this, I needed to disabled all unwanted
services, since user-friendliness is for starting all services
available by an installed package, even if you just need software from
this package, but not a daemon doing something counter-productive
regarding your needs.

On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 12:19:32 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>if you use virt-manager you will have to set up proper bridge
>networking on your host machine, did you do that ?

Wimps are using VirtualBox binaries from the http://www.oracle.com
instead of other virtualisation or even VirtualBox from what
ever distro's repository. Call me a wimp, but I don't waste time with
any kind of issue, such as shared folders or networking or after the
last upgrade it stopped working properly.

On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 12:47:21 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 18:33:30 -0700, Eric Fort wrote:
>>Id be happy to try again with the full Server DVD but I’ve had
>>problems with that install selecting and deselecting packages so as to
>>get a lean install.  Could go either way here but I need to download
>>the full dvd again as it was accidentally deleted.  If I download the
>>full iso how do I get the expert text installer running?
>
>I don't remember, since it was a long time ago when I installed Ubuntu
>by using the server image. From then on 'do-release-upgrade' worked
>very well. IIRC the 'expert text installer' was the default. FWIW when
>installing from the server image you definitely get an install without
>X, a WM and DE. Since my domain is audio, I unchecked all server
>related packages and apart from this, I needed to disabled all unwanted
>services, since user-friendliness is for starting all services
>available by an installed package, even if you just need software from
>this package, but not a daemon doing something counter-productive
>regarding your needs.
>
>On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 12:19:32 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>>if you use virt-manager you will have to set up proper bridge
>>networking on your host machine, did you do that ?
>
>Wimps are using VirtualBox binaries from the http://www.oracle.com
>instead of other virtualisation or even VirtualBox from what
>ever distro's repository. Call me a wimp, but I don't waste time with
>any kind of issue, such as shared folders or networking or after the
>last upgrade it stopped working properly.

And yes, another virtualisation could have a few advantages compared to
some of the few VirtualBox pitfalls. When I upgraded iOS of my iPad via
USB, by iTunes running on a VirtualBox guest, it was an issue, that
during the upgrade process the iPad several times needs to disconnect
the USB connection. While the Linux host automagically accepts the new
USB connection, the user (me) needs to manually reconnect the iPad by
VirtualBox's device menu.

Re: Trouble installing Ubuntu 18.04. Machine unable to reach archive

Eric Fort

Sent using SMTP.

> On Jul 28, 2018, at 3:19 AM, Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> hi,
> Am Freitag, den 27.07.2018, 17:25 -0700 schrieb Eric Fort:
>> Im installing Ubuntu 18.04 as a kvm guest using virt-
>> manager.
>
> if you use virt-manager you will have to set up proper bridge
> networking on your host machine, did you do that ?
>
> what is your host OS ?

Host os is Ubuntu 18.04. Network bridging is set the same as works for other vms on that same subnet. I can clone a machine and make the needed changes to the hostname and network config files and it works fine. It’s just installing machines from scratch that’s the issue.

Eric