Trouble installing Xubuntu 18.04 on brand new Del 17 3000

Trouble installing Xubuntu 18.04 on brand new Del 17 3000

MR ZenWiz
I just picked up a new Dell Inspiron 17 3000 laptopto help my girl
upgrade to a newer piece of hardware.

However, the Dell does not seem to like Xubuntu 18.04 DVD installer.

I tried disabling UEFI (and a host of other related settings), but
then it won't even boot the Win 10 that came preinstalled.

What I did:

1. Inserted my 18.04.1 boot DVD.
2. Powered up the Dell and selected option F12 (boot options)
3. Selected the DVD drive for the boot drive.

The screen goes blank, the drive whirs and clicks for a few seconds,
then nothing.

I know it can take a minute or two for the installer to come up, but
it never does.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Mark

Re: Trouble installing Xubuntu 18.04 on brand new Del 17 3000

Tom H-4
> I just picked up a new Dell Inspiron 17 3000 laptop to help my girl
> upgrade to a newer piece of hardware.
>
> However, the Dell does not seem to like Xubuntu 18.04 DVD
> installer.
>
> I tried disabling UEFI (and a host of other related settings), but
> then it won't even boot the Win 10 that came preinstalled.
>
> What I did:
>
> 1. Inserted my 18.04. 1 boot DVD.
>
> 2. Powered up the Dell and selected option F12 (boot options)
>
> 3. Selected the DVD drive for the boot drive.
>
> The screen goes blank, the drive whirs and clicks for a few
> seconds, then nothing.
>
> I know it can take a minute or two for the installer to come up,
> but it never does.

I'll have an Inspiron 13 7000 this weekend. Hopefully, this isn't a
generalized problem...

Is the ISO OK?

Is the DVD OK?

Is the DVD drive OK?

Re: Trouble installing Xubuntu 18.04 on brand new Del 17 3000

Colin Law
On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 at 03:28, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just picked up a new Dell Inspiron 17 3000 laptopto help my girl
> upgrade to a newer piece of hardware.
>
> However, the Dell does not seem to like Xubuntu 18.04 DVD installer.

Check the DVD boots ok in another machine.

Colin

On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 at 04:28, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried disabling UEFI (and a host of other related settings), but
> then it won't even boot the Win 10 that came preinstalled.

I think it's not possible to disable UEFI. It's a description of the
type of firmware and the only way to get rid of it completely is to
re-flash the machine with replacement 3rd party firmware, e.g.
CoreBoot.

https://www.coreboot.org/

So I suspect you only disabled SecureBoot or something.

Step 1, try to get Windows back.

Download the ISO from Microsoft.com and put it on a DVD or USB key,
boot from that, and try system recovery. Failing that, you may have to
reinstall.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO

Step 2, update the firmware.

I can't find any info about versions without an exact model number.
There are literally dozens of submodels called "Inspiron 17 3000"

Step 3, try a different distro, experimentally, e.g. Fedora.

Re: Trouble installing Xubuntu 18.04 on brand new Del 17 3000

Mike Marchywka
On Tue, Aug 06, 2019 at 11:43:48AM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Aug 2019 at 04:28, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I tried disabling UEFI (and a host of other related settings), but
> > then it won't even boot the Win 10 that came preinstalled.
>
> I think it's not possible to disable UEFI. It's a description of the
> type of firmware and the only way to get rid of it completely is to
> re-flash the machine with replacement 3rd party firmware, e.g.
> CoreBoot.
>
> https://www.coreboot.org/
>
> So I suspect you only disabled SecureBoot or something.
>
> Step 1, try to get Windows back.
>
> Download the ISO from Microsoft.com and put it on a DVD or USB key,
> boot from that, and try system recovery. Failing that, you may have to
> reinstall.

Unless you did reflash the eeproms,
isn't there a "restore factory defaults" option in the bios screen?
I did not check or do not remember with my new Precision but normally
there is an option like that as it sounds like you could not have
done much damage. If the machine is new booting to a recovery
mode should not lose anything even in a bad case.

My 18.04 Beaver stick seems to come up even when I don't want
it to- I leave it in the USB 3.0 connector and have to F12 to the
Ubuntu HD boot ( there is probably some way to change that but too lazy lol).

> https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO
>
> Step 2, update the firmware.
>
> I can't find any info about versions without an exact model number.
> There are literally dozens of submodels called "Inspiron 17 3000"
>
> Step 3, try a different distro, experimentally, e.g. Fedora.
>
> --
> Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
> Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
> UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

mike marchywka
306 charles cox
canton GA 30115
USA, Earth
[hidden email]
404-788-1216
ORCID: 0000-0001-9237-455X

Re: Trouble installing Xubuntu 18.04 on brand new Del 17 3000

Ian Bruntlett
Hi,

A few month's ago, I had to reset the password on an HP laptop for someone (and yes, it did belong to them).

I had to do all sorts of things before it would let me change it to allow booting from a CD or DVD. I found the relevant information from YouTube and managed to enable a compatibility mode where non-UEFI discs could be booted.

Whilst YouTube and Google is useful, I would suggest looking at Dell's website and/or asking Dell technical support for help.

HTH,

Ian

Re: Trouble installing Xubuntu 18.04 on brand new Del 17 3000

MR ZenWiz
General response to all posts so far:

I reset the boot to UEFI and had no trouble getting back into Windows.

I have not tested other ISOs and I will retest the DVD I was using on
another machine.  That said, this is the same DVD I used to install my
desktop, my (other) laptop and my lady's laptop - last year.

The registered model from the label on the bottom is P35E if that helps.

I will call Dell and see what they say.  My past experience with Dells
is that they usually work with Linux (and they will ship with Linux if
so ordered, but Fry's doesn't carry them or any PCs that way).

Follow-up coming soon - I need to get my car in to the dealer right now...

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 8:52 AM MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> General response to all posts so far:

Good news - I spoke with Dell and the model I have, 3785, does boot
Linux, though they "don't warranty Linux."  Ha ha.

I burned a new DVD with 18.04.2 and it installed just fine.  I suppose
the older DVD may have gone bad, though in one year I'd expect better.

Anyway, all is well.

Thanks everyone.

Mark